first day

OOC First Name
Olivia xx
Wand
12" rosemary branch with a single moonflower
Looking about at the assembled students, Jaydi didn't want to bore them with long speeches about behaviour and the importance of education. Not today at least. She'd lay down a few rules then leave them to mingle, chat amongst themselves. Beginning to speak she pointed out the dormitories and the charts on the wall, then mentioned the necessary safety things that they needed to know. Mount Cook was on a major faultline, and anything could happen. Finishing the boring part of the young children's first night, she gave them all a wide grin. "It's absolutely wonderful to have you all here, and I hope you'll enjoy your time. Lessons start at nine tomorrow morning, in the meantime," -- she offered them all another giggle -- "Dig in. I'll be back in an hour." Nodding at the houseelves and giving them the cue to serve dinner, Jaydi retired to her office next door, fixing up the last few things for tomorrow's lesson.

Kiara listened to the rules that were spoken. The usual. She wondered if she would like the other students. If they would like her. She hoped lessons weren't as boring as she thought they would be. She sat next to strangers, but she had a friendly smile on her face. Kiara looked at the person sitting on her right. She had a small appetite, and could hold off on eating for a little bit. She decided it would be best to start making friends. "Hi," she said to the one on her right. "I'm Kiara."

Calypso sat uncomfortably on one of the chairs in the room, her back straight as a board, listening to the woman explain the safety guidelines. She didn't know much English, having only just picked up the words, 'Yes', 'No, and 'Thank you'. She had, however, learnt to say 'I am sorry, I don't speak English' very well, having had to repeat it many times. Her accent was probably so bad it was completely unintelligible anyway. On her lap sat her guidebook, Greek to English, which was the closest she could get to 'Classical Greek to English'. She felt like she needed a guidebook to read her guidebook, and the stores she went to didn't sell Classical Greek anything. At least her brothers weren't here. Calypso was the youngest of sixteen, who had grown up on a small island where everyone knew everyone else. She had grown up being compared to her brothers in everything, until she had shown signs of magic. She was jolted out of her thoughts by the girl sitting next to her turning and saying something. She repeated the phrase that was burned into her mind. "I'm sorry, I don't speak English." She eyed the food placed in front of her distrustfully, before hesitantly placing some of it into her mouth. She had never seen food like this, and the taste was so strange!

Kiara was about to say that the girl just did speak English when she realized that it was probably one of the few things that the girl had learned to say in English. She noticed the girl had a guidebook on her lap. Greek? she thought. She speaks Greek? Maybe if she learns English I can talk to her then. Kiara ate a little bit of food. It wasn't very tasty in her opinion. She took a few more small bites, still quite a lot left on her plate. It was supper, so she had to eat something. Maybe I can use motions for stuff when I talk to her.

Calypso was eating her food when she realised that the girl next to her had probably been asking a question. Cally wasn't planning on offending anyone until she saw who had the power here, so she turned back and said, "My name is Calypso Costas." She hesitated then, not knowing how to say 'What is your name?', or even, 'What's yours?'. She helplessly raised her eyebrows, making them form a question. Prodding suspiciously at the food left on her plate, the things she couldn't bring herself to eat, no matter how adventurous she was, Calypso gave up and pushed the plate away.

Kiara stopped eating. She had a very small appetite and was full with what she had eaten. It hadn't food, but she didn't want to eat more and get a stomach ache and she had tasted better. She nodded and could understand what Calypso meant. "My name is Kiara Hart." She hoped that Calypso would understand. She continued to smile as she copied what Calypso did, pushing the plate away. She pointed at it and stuck her tongue out with a giggle.

Vincent watched with a bore stare as two girls attempt to make conversation made him want to sleep. Getting up from the table he pushed his plate away and started to roam around taking interest of what was around him. When he saw a muggel globe orbiting around other planets next to a display of what seems like stars, Vincent walk over to it and started to poke at the earth. 'I wonder if I poke the earth will it shake?' He thought to himself. He was becoming eager about his curiosity and started to poke at the planets leaving earth for last. "Shake, shake, shake! Shake, shake, shake,!" he stop and listen to see if the sky was falling. Wow, that's lame. He moved onto another item in the room and surprisingly he fell over a couple chocolate frogs. "Jackpot!" he uncovered all the frogs and watched them jump all over the place, his amusement filling in as they jump over the girls.

Calypso smiled when the girl pushed her plate away too. Opening her guidebook, she searched through quickly. She had grown more adept at figuring out what it meant, and had written in what some of the more confusing words meant with a pencil, but it was still time-consuming and annoying. "Stupid guidebook, supposed to tell me what to say but it's too stupid, isn't it?" She muttered quietly to herself. To anyone who didn't know what she was saying, it would seem as though she was just muttering what she was trying to say in her native tongue first. Idiots, who were taken in by her youth and innocent brown eyes. She swore as she felt something jump on her. "Get off me!" she cried, almost in tears. She hated small crawly or jumpy things. When she saw a boy who looked the same age as her laughing, she narrowed her eyes spitefully, already plotting terrible revenge. Calypso forced the smile back onto her face and turned back to Kiara Hart, picking the guidebook up off the floor. "You have a nice ... day - no, name."

Kiara noticed the girl look through the guidebook. She heard Calypso muttering something that sounded like Gibberish, probably Greek, which she hadn't heard in her life until then. Suddenly she felt something on her head. She took it off and looked at it. It was a chocolate frog. She looked at the boy who was amused by the situation. Normally she wouldn't have said anything, but it looked like it really bothered Calypso. "Was that supposed to annoy me?" she asked him. "Because it didn't. I love to east these things." She ate the one that had landed on her head. "Delicious." Kiara smiled before turning back to Calypso. "Thank you."

Calypso watched in horror and disgust as the girl - Kiara - bit into one of the things. Sitting down, she wished she knew the teacher better. Would she believe Calyspo's lies and punish the boy, or was she too intelligent? She looked over at the boy again, and said in a low voice, "You will regret doing that. I will make sure you go through hell while I am near." The tone of voice sounded like an apology, and she smirked, knowing that she could say anything to them, and they would never know. She closed the guidebook, and put it on her lap. Calypso smiled sweetly at the air, unable to bring herself to look directly at the boy, before settling down to wait for the teachers return.

Arielle watched in amusement as chocolate frogs flew- well, hopped everywhere. Previously, she had been sitting by herself in the corner of the room. Arielle wasn't a shy person, she just hadn't felt like talking to anyone. She closed the book that she had been reading- a thick book about Greek mythology that she had gotten from her older sister Noelle. She walked up to the two girls, snd sat near them. She picked up a chocolate frog and bit into it. If someone talked to her, then goof. If they ignored her, she had a book. Either way Arielle was happy.

Kiara heard Calypso whisper something. She was pretty sure it was Greek, so she wasn't sure what it meant. Just then, she noticed that there had been another girl. She was sitting in the corner of the room, reading. She wondered whether or not she should go to the girl and introduce herself. It turned out that she didn't need to. The girl walked over and sat near Kiara and Calypso. "Hi," she said to the girl who had joined them. "I'm Kiara Hart. What's your name?" She had a friendly smile on her face. She picked up a chocolate frog that had landed on her plate and bit in to it. "Yum."

Calypso saw that no one really cared that she had been attacked. Desperate to gain their favour again, she picked up a nearby frog and bit into it. It was made of something she'd never tasted before, sweet and oily. Grimacing, she forced herself to swallow it. "It tastes very different to back home," she said, flicking through her guidebook. Calypso smiled at Kiara and the other girl. "My name is Calypso. Sorry about before, but I hate small animals, most of all bugs." She had almost got the hang of this book now, and this sped her speech up considerably. She still paused between each and every word, but not for as long.

((I really don't like Calypso. :tut: She's a bit of an attention seeker. <_< ))

Kiara noticed Calypso's expression when she ate the chocolate frog. "That makes sense," she said, "that the food tastes different here. But I like these frogs." She smiled. "It's okay," she said. "I could understand. I mean, if you haven't seen chocolate frogs before then it makes sense."

Jessica giggled at her mum, all dressed up ready to be a teacher for her and all the other kids. The girl, tall for her age, loved how Jaydi had started a school. She found it ridiculous that her mother would have even come up with the idea herself! Which (of course) she hadn't.

Sitting apart from Sarah, Jessica gazed about at everyone else. She felt way too shy to speak, all these people had different accents to her and Sarah and Jessica had no idea what they were saying! She instead reached to a book on a nearby shelf and began to read, not noticing anyone else any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back