Finally Giving It A Try

Wednesday Hardley

Wand
Holly/Ebony Wand 12 1/2" Essence of Griffin Feather
The exams were over and the break was soon to go on. Wednesday should be celebrating that she had finished up the exams, but instead she had something else to do. After bombing her Flying exam with her sad attempt at flying the broom. Still Wednesday had not been able to even do the up command and other wise she was hopeless getting no more than two feet off the ground before she began her spirl downwards at the ground. Never had she imagined being good at flying, but now that her mind was stress free Wednesday was determined to at least give it another try.

Walking out to the pitch, Wednesday held a borrowed broom in her hand. Stopping in the center of the field she looked up seeing a few other students flying about. Hoping that they wouldn't notice this first year hufflepuff make an awful attempt at flying she moved her gaze back to the broom in her hand. Mounting the broom, completely skipping the up command part, Wednesday took a deep breath not yet able to get the courage to actually kick off not quite yet at least.

Sam flew around the pitch extremely fast, so fast that all his surrondings were a blur. It was brilliant, the adreline pumped through his veins and his smile showed his exctitement. Once he dropped down to a slow steady pace he saw a girl come onto the pitch, he didn't pass much more than a thought but when he looked again he saw it was Wednesday.

He hadn't spoken to Wednesday in ages and he promised he would help her with flying. He gripped his new Emerald Streak and dropped down a couple feet, so he was hovering above the ground. "Wednesday! Finally your here!" he said happily.

Wednesday closed her eyes thinking that maybe getting off the ground would be easier if she actually wasn't looking. The idea seeming to make sense until it came to her that what happened if she got into the air and the broom went crazy. Her eyes would be closed and she wouldnt' know where she was going. "Well at least I won't see where I crash" She said to herself softly as she opened her eyes only to see Sam hovering so easily.

"Hey Sam" She said brightly even though her stomach was in knots. With him here she was actually going to have to get off the ground. now that scared her so much. "Yeah I'm here" She said her voice going oddly out of character, soft and a bit scared. "Maybe I shouldn't be though" She said looking down at the broom under her glad that her feet still were on the ground. She felt so much safer on the ground. Even though the idea of flying excited her.

"Don't be ridiculous." Sam said to her, "You don't have to be an expert to fly here!" Sam landed himself on the ground gracefully. "I'm going to help you okay?" That wasn't mean't to be a question, more of a statement. Sam could see the fear in her body language, "Chill Wednesday first you have got to relax." Sam said laughing a little. Sam was still mounting his broom like Wednesday, "Okay...now your going to want a small kick, nothing powerful or fancy cause believe me a hard kick..well.." Sam wished he hadn't said anything it probably would frighten her more. "So..anyway." he added quicky, "A little kick. Watch." Sam kicked off the ground the small power was mostly coming from his toes. He rose quickly of the ground and he hovered a good bit away from the ground, not so high that if he fell he'd hurt himself. "You ready?" he asked an encouraging smile on his face.

Wednesday smiled slightly. Hopefully this little experience of flying wouldn't turn out like all the flying lessons. Never had she even managed to compare to the rest of the class. No this wasn't just because she hadn't flown on a broom before then. Of coarse that probably didn't help but others were just naturals. Wednesday didn't find herself much of a natural on a broom. Though she tried.

"I don't have much of choice now do I?" Wednesday said shaking her head a bit. Actually she was sort of glad that she had bumped into Sam here. Anyone else Wednesday might have just left without a second thought, never bringing herself back here.

Looking down at her feet once more as she listened to Sam. All she could think about was how they would no longer be on the safety of the ground. Yet as Sam began to describe what a hard kick would do then he stopped, Wednesday's head shot up. "Way to make me relax" She said a hint of playfulness in her tone.

Watching as Sam kicked off, Wednesday wondered how it came so easy to him. Ok you can do this She said taking yet another breathe and making sure that her eyes were opened. Though after a few minutes she hadn't moved an inch. "Ok" She said outloud this time more to herself than to Sam.

Wednesday let out a small sigh and gently kicked off the ground not going high at all, only a foot off the ground if that. Though her broom was shaking. No not because of the quality of the broom. Only because Wednesday was a bit shaky now that she realized she was no longer safe on the ground. Looking over at Sam she gave a weak smile. "ok" She said trying to just stay balanced and well the obvious thing was to try not to fall.

Sam watched her nervous expression before she kicked off, "Wednesday you can do this." He said encouragingly. But as she kicked off softly and hovered above the ground. Sam cheered and clapped loudly. This was great for one of her first tries. "Awesome Wednesday!" Sam returned his hands to his broom and flew a little closer to her.

"Okay. Just chillax, because your shaking here." Sam said and then put his hand on her broom to stop it shaking. "Its going to be a little difficult flying when your quivering." Sam said with a small laugh. "I'm right here beside you and this baby-" he clapped his Emerald Streak, "-Is lightening speed. I'll be right beside you all the time." Sam reassured her. He would make it his goal to not let her get hurt.

Wednesday felt better that Sam was helping encourage her. Maybe this wouldn't be all bad. "Thanks Sam" Wednesday said smiling when he cheered for her. She knew quite well that it was probably the most awful attempt in the world but at least he seemed to make her feel as if she was doing a good job.

"Chillax" Wednesday repeated laughing a bit at the term, for a moment not even realizing she was on the broom. That realization came back soon enough though. Luckily the broom seemed to be more steady, or maybe that was just Wednesday. "Ok I'll trust that broom of yours" Wednesday admitted knowing quite well that she trusted Sam already. Not that she knew him too well. It was just that he had that aura about him and everytime they did talk, which in Wednesday's opinion wasn't ever enough, he seemed the part.

Taking another breathe this time a bit more quiet and keeping her eyes wide open. Now that she was up in the air she wasnt' going to shut her eyes for anything or any reason. "So" She began wondering if it would be safe just to go back towards the ground and land. Though Wednesday didn't even know how to land the broom without crashing. She had never had the chance. "So" She repeated again. "What do I do now. Should I lean forward or go higher" She asked "Or get my feet back on the ground" She almost whispered the last part. Just suck it up. This is your one chance to learn how to fly Wednesday thought

"So now.." Sam said a little excitedly, "We go forward." A wide smile spread across his face. "Unless you don't want to. I don't want to force you to do anything." Sam wanted Wednesday to like flying and that wasn't going to happen if he forced her too much.

Sam liked teaching people how to fly, it felt good. Though Sam never wanted to be a professor- not even for flying. Even the thought of him as a professor mad him laugh. It really wasn't him, he wanted ot be a professional quidditch player. Someone people would recognise for his flying skills not someone who children tease once class was over. No way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back