Feel the Rhythm

Valery Matthias

Wand
Straight 16 Inch Flexible Yew Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
The young Gryffindor was rather excited to have the day off of classes. Valery Matthias tried to talk to his uncle, Blaine, today, only to be turned down because the Ravenclaw prefect had to go practice for Quidditch. While he knew that Blaine was a beater for Ravenclaw, he just did not know that the pitch was that important to him. Valery’s red eyes closed as he sat down in the corridors. The cold floor did not bother him. But, he had a perfect view of the outside. He looked out the window from below, since he was normally looking up at everyone he saw when he was at home. Terence was a good guy and all, but he could only do so much. Valery let out a sigh before he placed his hands into his lap. Wait, he brought a pair of drumsticks with him. He reached into his bag and pulled out a pair of wooden drumsticks, stained by the color of cherrywood. It was gorgeous, and he made sure to take care of them. He did not want to ruin his favorite pair of drumsticks. He started to tap them on the floor, before finally finding a rhythm. It never took him long to find one of those.

That was not all he had. Valery reached into his bag and found a CD player. He bought it at the music store, and it was enchanted so that he could listen to music while at school. He popped a CD in, and his earphones, before Valery started to listen to the music. From what he knew, this was a good, fairly new muggle band named KISS. He had no idea that the band was long ago dead, and was over sixty years old. Instead, he listened to one of the songs and was tapping the drumsticks on the floor to the sound. It was a real shame that he was just introduced to these things, even though they were long ago since ancient. Valery barely noticed people as they walked across the corridors, as he was so focused on his music, even though he was not making a sound whatsoever.

Julia was very happy with the day off from classes. She did not liked it at all, some lessons were just not for her. She decided to take a walk and went out of the dungeons. The dungeons were not the most likely place, that is what she agreed on with her older sister Brittany, who also were a Slytherin. Julia liked colours more, it was so dark in the dungeons. Also it was not very clean, there were spiderwebs all over in the corridors. Julia hated dirty things, she was very clean. Hogwarts was still a maze for Julia, there were like a thousand hallways and quicker ways to classrooms, and Julia was always lost. That is what she always says when she gets late for lessons, but it was not a lie! Why would they make the castle so big, some corridors were just useless.

When Julia came at the third floor (that was a guess) she saw a lot of students walking trough. There were so many students, and everyone was different. Julia liked to watch people, by observing people you can learn a lot about them. Sometimes more when they were speaking, but Julia was gullible so whenever someone tries to make a joke, she actually believes it. That was a weakness, and it made her a little bit dumb sometimes. But Julia did not care, she was who she was and she was happy about it. Julia thought of home and the house, what was so more beautiful than all the stuff in here. She decided that she kept the commonts for herself. Into the hallway she saw a boy sitting with some CD player she guessed. He had earphones in saw him tapping on the floor, it sounded really nice. When Julia heard a Rhythm it always made her happy, she just wanted to dance and sing by it, Julia was interested about it so walked towards the boy. She went sitting next to him, she laughed he did not noticed that she was there. He seemed so focused on his Rhythm. Julia listend to the Rhythm and started to tap with her shoes.

Due to the magical earphones, Valery could not hear anything, and with his red eyes closed, he could not see anyone around him. All he could picture was the music. It created vivid images in his mind, and he could only imagine the goodness that he could do with all this talent that was bundled within his body. Oh, he loved music, perhaps more than magic! Music helped him make a friend, and music helped him fill in the empty void that should have been his family. All because of who his mother was. How rude was that! He did not care right now though. Not while he was listening away. That was probably why he did not even notice that there was a girl sitting next to him. A pretty girl too. Valery was only eleven, so he did not notice girls yet, and thought of them like he thought of everyone else. Valery did not hear a laugh or anything. But the song soon came to an end, and his eyes fluttered open. They focused on a set of feet that were following the same rhythm as he had, before his eyes followed the feet up to the girl that was sitting next to him.

"Ah! Where did you come from?!" Valery exclaimed as he fell to the side, obviously scared by the girl's sudden appearance. Well, sudden appearance to him. He yanked out one of his earphones and stopped the next song from coming on. He then remembered that she was following with his beat. Wait, that was definitely unique. He placed his drumsticks in one of his hands, and he narrowed his eyes at her, observing her. She was definitely pretty, someone boys would definitely go after. Valery wasn't like that yet. And, she was older. Maybe second, third or fourth year. He didn't know. "You can follow beats? So, you like music?" Valery's voice changed from surprise to interest. He could not help but show enthusiasm for something that someone had in common with him. It was not often so he was going to take full advantage of this situation, despite how it suddenly scared him.

Julia just liked the sound of rhythm, it did not matter what it was. At home Julia liked to drum with the cutlery. If her father was happy with that she did not thought so. Her older sister Brittany was most of the time annoyed by Julia her facanation towards music. They lived in a big house, so Julia could do what she want in her own room, but outside of that it was forbidden in the eyes of her sister Brittany. If Brittany was in a bad mood (almost always) she took the cutlery or something else what Julia was using at the moment from her, and made sure that it was hidden safely. Towards this sisterly thing Julia could go along just fine with her sister. They both went trough a lot with the divorce of their parents and they could find shelter with each other.
When the boy finally starting the realise that there was sitting someone next to him, she started to laugh.
'' I wish I could say that I fell from the sky but I don't. I just walked into here.'''' Julia smiled friendly towards the boy. He looked very young so she was guessing that he was a first year student.

Julia observed the boy as he yanked out one of his earphones. He noticed that Julia could follow beats and Julia answered him.
'' Yeah! It was a pretty good beat. I really like music, so I just could not walk away from it. I hope i did not scare you..'' Julia understood if it was really weird that someone just joins you into something that you never expect. She did not met a person with such a good rhythm at Hogwarts. For the record nobody with a interest for music. This boy would be the first and maybe the last? Because a lot of music what Julia liked was from the muggle world, but that was a secret for her father. If he knew he would take it away before you could blink. '' I'm Julia by the way. I'm a third year Slytherin.'' Julia looked at the boy, and noticed that he was just adorable.

Valery was a little more than shocked when she said that she just walked over here. Was he really that clueless to the environment when he was in the zone? He could not help it, but maybe he should consider looking around just in case. He did not want to give himself another heart attack. So to speak cause otherwise, he would be going to the nurse's office. "Wow, I need to start paying attention! I really had no idea!" Valery smiled as he looked at the girl next to him. She was pretty too. Like, almost inhumanly pretty. He did not know what else she could be described as, but as long as she was not mean, he would like her. As a friend because he was not into girls at such a young age. His dad was pretty much always into women. Dancing and stuff. That was why he was born. His dad once drank too much and ended up in bed with a woman with the last name Grimrar. He did not know her first name. Started with a W but since she was never around, he did not care. His dad was like his mom and dad. It was pretty cool having one parent do both things.

Pleasantly surprised, Valery looked very excited to have met someone who could not walk away from the beat he was making. That only meant that she was obsessed with music too! "You did a little bit but that is all gone now! You love music? What instrument do you play? Can you sing? Do you go to Makutu Music a lot? The owner is a fantastic drummer. He is giving me lessons!" The questions just started pouring out. He had no control. He had to clasp his mouth shut so that he would stop talking. Her name was Julia, and she was two years ahead of him. And also a Slytherin. "I'm Valery. I'm a Gryffindor!" Valery would have shaken her hand but his hands were full right now with his drumsticks. He was not about to let them go out here in the corridors. Someone might kick them away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back