Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual (Jason)
Wand
Knotted 11 Inch Whippy Oak Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Running into Jason at the Medley a few months ago had been a relief for Matthew. It was nice to simply know he wasn't the only wizard at this muggle university, and even though they rarely saw each other because they were in different courses and different years, Matthew was glad he knew Jason was around. He'd seen him at Odette's graduation too, but had stayed away then in case it would upset their sisters. Both of them were very busy with the workload of their studies, but Matthew was thrilled to finally meet up with Jason again. There was something about the older guy that drew Matthew to him, and he'd actually gotten changed twice before finally heading out to meet him at the local coffeeshop near the campus. Matthew was more used to muggle things now than he had been at first, but he still fumbled with the card as he paid for his drink. Now he wrapped his hands around his mug and waited for Jason to arrive. He was trying not to look at the door too eagerly every time someone came in, but he didn't know if he was managing very well.

Jason didn't know if today was a good idea or not, but it was happening. Matthew was nice, and it had been refreshing to talk to someone at uni about the magical world, but this couldn't last forever. Matthew would find out sooner or later, and then whatever friendship the had managed to build would be over. No magical person had ever looked at Jason the same way after finding out he was a squib, why would Matthew be any different? Meeting in a muggle location was a safety precaution Jason was glad to have taken. Nobody would notice he wasn't casting any spells in a muggle coffee shop, there was nothing to worry about today. The future though... Jason tried to set his worries aside as he greeted Matthew, waving when he spotted the other man's table. He crossed the cafe and sat down, setting his laptop bag by his seat. "Hey man, how's it going?"

Matthew sat up straight at the sight of Jason. The other boy looked so effortlessly cool, even just entering a coffeeshop. Matthew smiled brightly at Jason and waved him over. He looked at the laptop bag curiously as Jason placed it down, resisting the urge to try to peek inside. "Hey, I'm doing well. How are you?" He asked, leaning on the table a little in an attempt to be casual as well. "Is your computer in there?" He asked, pointing to the bag. He'd seen other students put theirs in similar bags, and Matthew still marveled at how such a thing could be portable so easily.

Jason couldn't help a fond smile at Matthew's question. Having seen both sides of how fluent muggles were with technology and how entirely lost wizards were, it was a little bit sweet watching someone else struggle to cross that barrier. "Yeah, I'm going to the library later." He said, still smiling. It surprised Jason how much he smiled talking to Matthew, and he didn't quite know how he felt about that yet. It only made Jason more determined to extend the time before Matthew found out his secret for as long as possible. "How're you going trying to do class stuff on the computer?" He asked, unable to help keeping such a cute subject going.

Matthew nodded seriously when Jason mentioned the library. In his mind, it was still a library like the one at Hogwarts, where a laptop would have looked extremely out of place even if it had worked. But the university libraries were entirely different, and Matthew was always a bit intimidated when he had to use a computer to check out books. "I see." He said. He laughed a little awkwardly. "I think my classmates think I'm some sort of... photography snob, that I refuse to use anything but analog cameras." He admitted shyly. "I manage, a bit... when I really have to."

Jason chuckled appreciatively at Matthew's cover for his technological ineptness. "Well, that's not too bad." He said, unable to keep a hint of teasing out of his voice. "If you ever do need help, though, you can always email me." He said with a small smile. It felt a bit mean on its own though, so Jason quickly added. "For real though, it's impressive that you're trying. Most magical people don't bother unless they have family who can teach them, or went to a muggle primary school or something. My parents think I'm kind of ridiculous." Jason couldn't help his mouth tensing as he brought up his parents, thinking of the derision with which they treated his career path.

Matthew smiled a little. "There's enough pretentious people in there that it doesn't seem too out there." He admitted, though he then blushed a bit. "That's kind of rude to say, they really are pretty talented." He added quickly. "And most of them are nice." he laughed softly when Jason said he could email him. "I'll manage that in about three years." He joked back. He blushed a little at Jason's words, they hit a little too close to home. "My dad..." Matthew started, then faltered. "He doesn't respect muggles. So I understand you." He said softly. "He actually works in the muggle world, but... he doesn't treat them well." Matthew bit his lip, not wanting to reveal too much. Not to protect his dad, but he didn't want Jason to look at him differently if he knew his father was basically a criminal. "I've left home because of it." He admitted softly. "Among other things."

Jason laughed at Matthew's comment, shaking his head as he tried to take it back a moment later. "No, you're right. Design is the same." He said with a small smile, sipping his coffee. He laughed again at Matthew's joke about email wondering when the last time was he had laughed this much. Jason didn't know if he could remember. His smile slipped though, as Matthew started talking about his dad. They hadn't gotten this deep before while talking, and he listened with interest. It made sense that Matthew was here to escape a bad parent, and somehow it actually made Jason feel... safer to open up. A little bit. "Oh, same." He said slowly, choosing his words carefully. "Though my parents couldn't get rid of me quick enough. They've got... attitudes about muggle things. Didn't want much to do with me." It was closer than Jason had come to actually outright telling anyone he was a squib in a long time, though far enough yet that he could change his mind and the subject easily, deny it if necessary. This felt... a good way to test the waters, at least.

As Jason laughed at his joke, Matthew realized just how much he enjoyed his laugh. He blushed a little, as that was kind of a strange thing to think about a friend. Were they friends? He hoped so. He hoped Jason didn't think him weird for opening up about his father, but he had started the conversation by speaking about his own parents. He felt sympathy for the other man as he explained about his parents attitudes. "I know the feeling." He said softly. "Mine doesn't mind exploiting them, but... actually having an interest in their world is seen as weak." He sighed and shook his head. "I don't think many wizards understand these things, they should honestly just... talk to them, live among them for a while." He said quietly, looking away. "I think they'd see we're not any better. At all."

As Jason listened to Matthew, his mind raced. While he knew the majority of magical people surely weren't like his parents, Jason had been made to feel unwelcome enough in the magical world that he had never really made a magical friend before. It put him in a position he had never really imagined being in. Jason wanted to tell Matthew. Though his anxieties about the conversation were almost too much, Jason didn't let them hold him back for once, blurting out the sentence he spent so much of his life avoiding and resenting. "I'm a squib." He said abruptly, voice wavering slightly. "And... so, yeah. That's, uh. I don't... really tell people that, but... yeah. That's why my parents didn't... want anything to do with me." He shrugged, looking down at his coffee. "And why... I wasn't at Hogwarts or anything. Sorry." He shrugged, still looking down as he took a sip of his drink. "I don't... really talk about it, ever."

Matthew was a little nervous after his last words, he knew how his father would have reacted to that statement, and while Jason had seemed to be on the same wavelength as him, but now the silence that had fallen seemed ominous. He looked over at him a little nervously, just in time to meet his eyes as he blurted out that he was a squib. Matthew's eyes widened in surprise, and his mind raced to go back over everything he had said when assuming the other boy was a wizard. Had he said anything bad unintentionally? But then he had to focus on what Jason was saying, his heart twisting at the boy's words. "That's awful of them." He said softly. "Your parents, I mean..." He had his own issues with his parents, but at least his break from them had been his own choice rather than theirs. "You don't have to apologize." He added, touching his arm. "You didn't do anything wrong." He paused. "Thank you for telling me." He added.

Jason didn't tell people he was a squib. He didn't. He had avoided even keeping long term magical friends for this exact reason. A big part of him wondered what he was thinking, why he thought it was okay to trust Matthew with this. It was said, though, and now all there was to do was see how Matthew reacted. Jason sipped his coffee again, trying not to show how unsettled this whole situation made him. Matthew's first words were comforting, but Jason didn't let his guard down all at once. It'd be too easy for Matthew to pretend not to have a problem, then talk about him behind his back. It seemed sincere though, and Jason's heart softened a little when Matthew said he didn't need to apologise, shrugging awkwardly. "Thanks." He mumbled into his cup, before realising how silly it was to hide behind it and finally setting it down, fidgeting uncharacteristically with his sleeves instead. "I don't talk about this... ever, really. I just kinda... stay out of the magical world, mostly. It doesn't want me, so." He shrugged, looking away out across the cafe. "Muggle world's easier, nobody cares."

Matthew wasn't someone who could handle emotions very well, and he could tell that this was a big deal for Jason. But he knew what was most important right now was that Jason felt at ease. He patted his arm one more time, then retreated his hand a little awkwardly as the other man thanked him. "I get that..." He said quietly. "But it must be hard. I know many people would make you feel unwelcome." He said a little awkwardly. "At least, that's what I can figure from my own experience. It's already seen as kind of ridiculous that I have an interest in muggle things, by some people." He shrugged, knowing that he had a position of privilege compared to Jason. He had chosen to leave the magical world, but he could return at any time. The other boy didn't have that choice, at least not as easily. He smiled a little nervously. "It's easier in some ways, but honestly... I'm impressed by how you picked up muggle things. You seem so at ease, so confident. Especially with the computer stuff." He shrugged again, clearly nervous. "It's something I can admire." He admitted quietly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back