Eating Dinner

Gregoire Lambert

Gregoire sat down at the table. He shut his eyes, clenching his wand. A couple of idiotic first years were messing around a few seats down, and it took a great deal of willpower to resist the temptation to curse them. However, there were a few professors very close by. Greg didn't normally care, but he had a meeting with the head tonight to discuss his future at the school. After his third detention this week. Although, to be honest, being asked to leave might not be the worst thing. Leaving school would give him a bit of a break.

An owl flitted through the window. It was his father's owl, Pouvoir, it was a gisted French translation of the word power. Greg took the letter from Pouvoir's claws and scanned his eyes over it. The usual. He raised his eyebrows as he pulled a pen from his pocket.

Dear Father.
Thank you for your letter. Indeed, I recieved a summons from the headmaster, but would that not make you proud. I did not do much harm. Perhaps it is not the immediate consequence of the Gubraithian fire, but the combined effects of everything which I have done not only this year but since my joining of this school, five years ago.
I have to say I have no worries in facing the sir, he is a great man, and I understand I will be judged fairly. I know you wish for me to stay on at school in order to gain my NEWTs, but I have no intention of doing so. In all honesty, if things got worse, I could always leave and transfer to another school. Perhaps Durmstrang or either branch of Hogwarts would be more appropriate. Durmstrang might hold a new beginning for me, I have heard it is a much tougher school.
I would be perfectly happy with leaving now.
Grégoire

Gregoire tossed the letter to Pouvoir. "Away with you. Take it back to father." He sat and continued to ignore the first years, hoping a reply would soon arive.

Raff was leaving in only a few days time, to go off to some country that he was not used to. He didnt even care where it was, he hadnt even bothered to listen. It was all stupid. His stupid demanding father, his stupid Mother for being this stupid in the first place. He couldnt take it anymore. He wished he could stay here. He liked this school. Although he had no best friends, he had a few good friends. He didnt want to leave everyone. He had built up a name for himself at this school. Now he would be starting from scratch again in a completely new life, it was utterly ridiculous.

Entering the dining hall Raff sat down across from Gregoire, a boy in his own year, who was just sending an owl away. Raff made no move to say anything, instead piling some food onto his plate. He didnt understand why his Mother and Father had just gotten over this already and let them go along as normal. Last time it had taken a move from his Mother, but she came back didnt she? Now Raff was being dragged along while his Dad moved to New Zealand. Why did he chose to move so far away? Scowling Raff dug into his food, no use asking all those questions to his mind, he swore he was going to write a very strongly worded letter back to his Mother and Father, the second he calmed down a bit.

Gregoire rolled his eyes at his father. He looked up and saw Raffael sitting across from him. Greg didn't mind the boy - who was in his year - although he could be a little cocky at times. "Hello Raff." He sent the owl off, and then looked up across the table as he buttered his potatoes and took a sip of his wine.

"So, how have you been recently?" Greg didn't care much, he was simply making conversation.

Sorry, lame >_<

His fork reaching his mouth, Raff looked up when Gregoire spoke to him. He pulled the fork from his mouth delicately, placing it on the edge of his plate and swallowed. "Gregoire." He said with a small smile and a nod of his head. The other boy asked how Raff had been and he shrugged his shoulders lazily. His posture always taken note of. He hated the habits he had been raised into. He felt so uptight all the time, even if he felt the opposite. It didnt help that this school was so strict either. "I have been okay." He admitted, he didnt think the other boy would care much about his plans to move, so he didnt mention them. Instead he asked back. "And what about yourself?" He hadnt spoken to Gregoire in a while, Raff would admit they got on okay, but they werent the best of friends, their personalities seemed to clash a little.

Gregoire shrugged. "Got a meeting with the head tonight. Guess the gubraithian fire was one step too big." He presumed Raffael had heard about his latest 'trick', it had been all around the school. He had been wandering out on the grounds, when he decided to try setting alight to a little beetle. He had done so many times before with incendio and had read about this bigger, better curse in a book. So, Greg had decided to try it out. Bad idea. He couldn't figure out how to stop it. He shrugged, life would go on.

"Not too bothered about it, you know me."

Raff laughed. "That was you?" He asked amused. He had heard about it, yes. The whole school had. He had been out of it as of late with his own problems, so he hadnt actually found out who lit the fire. Of course it had to be Gregoire, he should have known. Raff nodded with a grin still on his face. "Obviously." He said simply, but then another thought accured to him. "When do you think they are going to kick you out of here? I mean, this wouldnt be the first time you've caused trouble." He said with a look that said he was stating the obvious.

"As always." Gregoire rolled his eyes. "Who else would you have suspected?" He raised his eyebrows, father was always telling him he had to just get his head down and study, but Gregoire just ignored it. It wasn't as though he tried to get himself into trouble, he just didn't try very hard not to. "The first time? Talk about the billionth. I don't know, and to be honest I couldn't care. I wouldn't actually mind leaving school. Father says that I should stop, but really, what is the point. I don't care." The fifth year sliced a potato in half, placing the small slice into his mouth. He sat silently, eating, for a few moments, then replied. "Why do you ask, Raffael? Can't wait to get rid of me?"

Raff raised his eyebrows and nodded in a way that said 'fair enough'. Raff actually couldnt pin point anyone else who would do it, Gregoire just hadnt come to mind instantly on the matter. Raff simply ate quietly when Gregoire said his Father was always telling him to study, but he didnt care. Raff would never even dream about having that attitude. His father would kill him! Good on Gregoire for having that attitude though. Raff was cocky sometimes, yes, but never to his parents.

Raff threw his head back and laughed at Gregoire's comment. "I wouldnt go that far, I was simply curious." He said, sure the school would be quieter without Gregoire, but did he really want him gone? Raff had to say, how the principal had put up with him this long was a mystery.

Gregoire was genuinely suprised that he was still in Beauxbatons. He had a funny feeling his father had played a part in it, he always insisted that no other wizarding school could ever match up to the standards of Beauxbatons. One thing was certain, the school didn't keep him for the five years of 'pure amusement value' he had provided. He rolled his eyes.

"Ah." Gregoire sighed. "Even if I do not get thrown out, I might leave. I mean, do you genuinely see the point in attending school. You and I, each one of us should be out there learning bigger and better things. Sure, a basic understanding of magic is important. Perhaps the first few years of school should be compulsory. But I don't understand why I shouldn't simply leave now and learn from books. I know - even now - I learn a lot from them than I ever have from classes." He genuinely didn't see the need for school at this age.

So sorry for the late reply!

Raff placed his fork down and listened to what Gregoire said. "I guess your right. My Father would kill me if I even mentioned anything about leaving though. I guess the only reason we have to attend school is so we can get a job." He said with a shrug. He guess you could still get a decent career from learning outside of school, but Raff didnt mind school as a whole. Sure Beauxbatons was strict, but he would rather stay here then attend some, Hogwarts school or whatever his Father was trying to get him into. The whole thing was stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back