Drastic Changes

Tom Fletcher

OOC First Name
Mike
Wand
14 3/4" Canadian Maplewood wand with an essence of Hippogriff feather
The door slammed shut, closing out the darkness and Tom found himself in the giant house were he grew up. His thought of it was a full moon tongith disappeared. Memories came flooding back, reminding him of the happy childhood he was grateful enough to receive. He kissed his Mother on the cheek and went into the cavernous front room, helping himself to a seat. "Where's Father?" Tom asked his Mother, who looked a bit pre-occupied
"Your Father's in his study. He's been locked in there for hours. Won't tell me why. Only comes out to go to the toilet, and even then he blanks me. I'm worried Tom" she said touching his face, "What's he done?" She asked, anxiously.
"I'm sure he's fine, probably just experimenting with muggle, sorry Mother, err non-magical chemicals" Tom said correcting himself. He was too used to using expression associated with Witches and Wizards, he sometimes forgot his own Mother was a Muggle. "Would you like a cup of tea, something to calm you down?" Tom asked, before his Father came bounding down the stairs.

"What are you doing here?" His Father questioned him. "Selina, you didn't ask him to come did you? I told you to go to your Mothers for the day. I have someone coming round from the Ministry to test the new invention I made" Ethan asked, beads of sweat dripping down his forehead. He looked at the clock. "Quickly go" he commanded to both Tom and Selina. Selina bolted to the fireplace, grabbing a handful of floo powder. "Tom come on" she said, nervously, when the front oak door felt the floor shaking the very foundation on which the house was built on. "Knock knock" came a mocking voice. "Go, quickly Mother, We'll be right behind you" Tom said firmly, watching his Mother disappear right before his eyes in a green flame. "Father?" Tom asked. "What have you done?".
"Nnnnothing" Ethan said trembling, shadows growing on the floor in the hallway.
"Father, please don't tell me you've been gambling again" Tom asked quickly.
"Yes" Ethan admitted ashamed.
"I would of helped you, I'd of paid your debt or at least as much of it as I could" Tom told him, his wand now drawn.
"'Ello Ello " came a singsong voice. The figures came into view, their wands drawn, but Tom wasn't looking at them, he looked at the growling, grizzly figure behind the Death Eaters. It was werewolf. The two Death Eaters saw Tom's wand drawn, and took it as a sign of aggression. They drew their wands. "We did warn you Ethan. The debt should of been paid last week. But no. it wasn't. Now you will pay" He said, the Death Eater on the left sent a stunning spell at Ethan. "Protego" Tom said almost instantly, blocking the spell. "Father, leave now. Go get help. I'll stay" He said locking eyes with his Father. Tom was more skilled than his Father and so it seemed logic that he stayed. A flash of green signalled to Tom his Father had left to go get help. " Aw, poor Daddy has left his little baby alone" the second Death Eater mocked.
"Obscuro!" Tom exclaimed sending the spell to the first Death Eater. He flailed around, minus his eyesight. The second Death Eater sent a spell at Tom which he just about deflected in time. Where's the help? Tom mused, before looking at the oncoming Werewolf. Saliva dripped from its mouth, lusting for Tom's blood. He sent a conjunctivitus curse at it, but it was a moment to late. Tom stumbled over a rug and the Werewolf stampeded into him taking a bit out of his arm with him. Tom fell to the floor, falling in and out of consciousness, hearing sounds of spells breaking ornaments. He tried to fight this, but his energy was draining, the only Tom Fletcher that remained, was inside fighting for his soul. Darkness engulfed him.

Tom awoke with a start. Sweat poured down his face. He looked around him, but sme kinds of curtains were drawn around him. He was sitting on a bed, yet it wasn't his. It seemed like a gurney, but he had no idea where he was. Where am I? What the hell happened to me? He noticed his arm was bandaged,blood staining it. What the heck? He mused. He was breathing heavily. The walls were decorated white, it had some sort of asylum feel to it, but Tom kept telling himself it wasn't. Moments passed, thoughts flew through his mind. "Hello?. Hello?. Anybody there? He asked, scared of a reply he might received. But then it hit him, the pain was gone as quickly as it had came. He awaited an answer, but no one replied. But then he recalled. He had heard voices, he saw his Father collapsed around his body, crying. Wizards and Witches congregated around Tom, checking his pulse. A sudden change in time, and Tom found himself on a gurney, a witch and a wizard around him, taking notes, it seemed they were observing him.

What in God's name is going on? Then he remembered.

On a rare day off Samson had finally decided to spend quality time with his charge and though Moko had at first grumbled about spending time with an old man, she had said it with humor so he had not taken it as any insult. The entire afternoon was pleasantly spent until an urgent owl came hurtling through the skies dropping a note his way. He was requested at the hospital urgently. Thankfully Morrigan understood and had merely smiled and waved him on his way as he apparated on the spot.

Arriving only moments later at the hospital he found the reason for the urgency. His daughter was attempting to keep a somewhat hysterical man at bay, just when no other means seemed to work on his she used her wand and tied him to the gurney. Samson was at her side in a seconds but it no explanations were necessary. He was well aware of what was before him as the gaping wound was all too visible.
"Corinne we'll take him to the first floor but room 12" the room was highly charmed the powerful essence of wolfsbane embedded into the very walls of the room, "The man has been bitten by a werewolf".

His tone now more hushed as they took him to the room. Looking at the file one of the nurses had taken of him he scanned it quickly. Thanks to some personal effects on him they at least knew his name.

It seemed like hours whereby they worked tirelessly on his wound and replenished his blood supply. As they did this they also had begun to administer the wolfsbane potion but Samson was no fool, they had no way of determining how long he had been left to suffer before he had been brought to the hospital. He would most definitely change, there was no mistaking it.

"Mr. Fletcher, Mr. Fletcher can you hear me?" the man drifted in an out of consciousness, still strapped down for his own safety and theirs.

Corinne had just delivered the most beautiful set of twins and was heading out on to the hospital garden secluded at the back of the hospital for a well earned break when the worst emergency she had come across in a long time came in the door. The man's arm was literally chewed to shreds and he was behaving like a mad man.

She ran immediately to help restrain him and on finding a senior staff member now involved some of the younger more impressionable healers backed away. It was too much to witness. The man was practically frothing at the bit. Demanding someone send an urgent missive to her father she continued to attempts any and all form of restraining him without resorting to the one thing she hated doing to patients and that was using magical binds to strap him down. But it was no use he was losing too much blood and was in too much pain so she had no alternative. Thankfully though not long after she had him confined to the gurney her father came to her aid.

She followed his instructions to the letter, assisting him once again as she had only a few months previously with the body of Scott Anderson. It seemed gruesome was becoming her middle name.
When her father informed her as to what type of bite he had sustained she groaned, she should have known but after been locked inside her own particular field of midwifery for so long, Corinne had seemingly lost her ability to recognize the most grotesque of bite marks.

Waiting by her fathers side as he began to work, she once again followed any commands he had to issue. The blood flow stopped and as replenished as much as they possibly could both Kolpecks knew it was too late. The man would have to get registered and they would have to call it in. She left her father for a moment to go to her office, another letter needed to be written now. One she hated to do but knew it was necessary. Her thoughts instantly went to Nicolas King but it was the wrong department of course so she had no reason or excuse to go see him this time. Feeling stupid that she had allowed her thoughts to stray to him, Corinne set about the task at hand.

"Wh.. what?. Who are you? Where am I?. He said exasperated, anxiously awaiting a reply. His eyesight was blurred. He could make out a face, but his hearing wasn't a hundred percent. The volume at which he was hearing things was varying. Sometimes it would be quiet and other times it was loud. He tried to sit up, but something was stopping him. He looked at his chest and noticed straps stopping him from doing so. "What's happened? Let me go". His mind kept flashing back to past events. He saw his Father panic stricken, shadows emerging. Then he saw spells coming at him, being deflected by his spells.

"I can... I can hear you" Tom replied timidly, all his energy being sapped by something, shaking about, in and out of consciousness.

He waited for a reply, something to tell him about what had happened. Something was wrong. His eye sight was getting better. He looked at the figure which was now a man's face. "How do you know my name?" Tom enquired, wanting to know answers. Tom's face dropped, looking gaunt. The flashbacks continued. Replaying the past events, key details being unfolded, reminding him, making him remember.

"Please. No. Don't tell me that. I'm not, am I?" Tom asked, looking pale.

Samson eyed the man wearily and with a grave amount of pity. He knew Corinne had gone to alert the ministry, it was a sad state of affairs but it had to be done. The man was coming around slowly at last, the hysterics would be slightly different this time. It would not be from the pain of the bite but more, the pain of his new condition.

"You must remain calm my man" Samson summoned a chair and sat down along side him, "I know your name because you had a wallet on your person, we were able to read it from some pieces there. It is ok nothing was taken, all your personal affects are in the bedside locker there".

He was trying to keep it as calm as possible, tried to reassure the man that all would be fine but that was not true and they both knew it.
"You know you were bitten? We did everything we could but it was already too late by the time you got to us. Mr. Fletcher, do you understand what it is I am saying? You are a lycan, a werewolf." the sparse truth was all he could offer up. He waited for the anguish that was sure to follow.

Tom braced himself when the Healer was telling him that he was bitten. A quicks sharp flashback of a Werewolf's gaping mouth confirmed this. A werewolf? You can't be serious? Tom mused, but didn't ask. He slumped into defeat, he knew it was true. There was no point in arguing. The healer couldn't be mistaken. After all surely he would be the one who had diagnosed it. "How ironic, I teach children about the dangers of Werewolfs, how they cannot control their actions when they have turned, and then I go and become one". His throat was tight, and his eyes were watered. He wondered how the his friends, family and the staff and students at Hogwarts would react.

"It was worth it right? I paid a small price to save my Father. I must appreciate that he's still alive" Tom said, trying his hardest not to break down in front of the Healer.

"I teach at Hogwarts, and wondered whether you could inform the Headmaster there whenever possible. I presume I'll be out of action won't I for a few weeks?" Tom asked. A quesion soared through his mind. Would they still let me continue teaching at Hogwarts. After all Parents will think that I'm a danger to their children. The job mean more to him than anything. He loved teaching, everything about it. He looked at the man. It must of been tough, letting a person know his life was about to be made worse.

The winter season really did bring it's own amount of drama, the death of the chief of the auror department, he had successfully restructured and healed an old werewolf bite on a young woman who was also doing some work experience at the hospital and now this, of course there was always the other hospital drama's involved and his own charge was having her own teenage problems it would seem. His heart went out to her but hoped Corinne could handle that side of things, though if he didn't know any better he would have assumed that Corinne was in the same state of mind as Morrigan.

He looked at the man before him who seemed now strangely resigned to his fate but when he explained his job Samson understood then.
"You didn't necessarily go and become one. You were viciously bitten. It is not an easy task defending yourself from a werewolf. Even if you teach about the dangers of them, it never gives you the practical training you need. I will have my daughter send word to the school, she is already sending word to the ministry as we speak" he seriously wished he didn't have to tell the man that but it appeared that Mr. Fletcher or Professor Fletcher was well aware of the consequences of being a werewolf.
"Do you have any questions for me?"

"Here's to hoping" Tom sighed half heartedly. His thoughts turned to his Mother and Father. He hoped they were alright? How long had he been here? Had they been to visit him. Where were they? he mused, not paying his full attention to the Healer when he really should ought to be. He tried to swallow but there was a dry lump in his throat. Pessimism seemed to be the only option in Tom's mind. He tuned in and listened to the Healer ask if he had any questions. Moments passed, and Tom tried to think of anyone's that would seem relevant.

"How long would it be before you know if I am" Tom stopped taking a deep breath. "One?" he finished.

"How long do I have to stay here for?" he asked, waiting for a reply. He didn't want to bombard the Healer with too many questions. Fletcher was sure that he had more duties to attened to and didn't want to keep him here for too long. The pain was bearable, mild at best. He was comfortable. Well about as comfortable you can be when waiting to see if you become a Werewolf or not. He let out a huge sigh.

Samson nodded understanding completely that the man must be distraught, he could sympathize all he wanted but he could never empathize with him. He wrote a few things on a clipboard before looking at the professor again.

"We know now Mr. I mean Professor Fletcher. You will definitely change at the next and every other full moon providing of course you start taking your wolfsbane potion. The first three months at least until your body adjusts to the potion you will still change into a werewolf but you won't experience the abject madness that you'd otherwise experience from turning. The pain apparently is intense and for those who don't use wolfsbane we seriously believe the madness they experience as they go through the change is what leads them to the path of evil. The beast quite literally takes over. But you will notice that with time, once you take the potion every day like clock work you won't even change at all once you stay out of view of the moon but like I said the first three months at least your body will still change."

He felt utterly sorry for him and wished he could do more.
"You'll have to stay until a ministry official comes and until I can try to heal that arm some more. Look I don't know if it will help but" he wasn't sure if he should even divulge about the girl but talking with another person in the same situation as himself might help, "we have a young woman on work experience with us during the vacation, she is a werewolf now the past few years. If you'd like to talk with her, it might help. It's up to you of course, I'm sure she'd be glad to share any insights with you".

Tom listened to as the Healer continued to talk to him about changing. Tom listened, moving himself into a more comfier position. He felt restless, and it seemed he could sleep for hours, but he knew that would probably not be possible. He would probably be tossing and turning for the majority of his sleep. The pain in his arm was continuing to throb but sometimes it would subside. Tom sighed heavily at the news he would have to stay here until a Ministry official came, but was a bit relieved that he was offered some company.

"Please. That would be nice" Tom said, even if it was on a grisly topic to talk about. He smiled, albeit it weakly at the Healer. "I'd like to thank you for everything you've done. You've been a great help through this difficult time. Thank you" Tom said appreciatively.

He wondered who this person was that was on work experience. It comforted him that he could discuss his problems with her if he wanted to, plus she had been through it and so any advice she could give to Tom would be truly helpful."Would it be possible to have a drink of water?" Tom said. "It seems like its been hours since I've had anything to eat or drink" "Tom told him.

Samson stood and smiled at least the man was not a difficult patient, a particular youth he had worked on back in England had been a ruddy nightmare and they had to keep him incarcerated until the ministry officials did show up and for a long time afterwards. He wondered now what had happened to that boy but had a fair idea that whatever his outcome it had not been good.

He poured some water into a glass that was nearby and brought it up to the professor, handing it over he looked at him closely.
"I'll let you get some rest now, my dau... Ms. Kolpeck will be back and she can give you any potion you might need if you're in pain or if you are restless and can't sleep" he checked his watch, "the young lady will be finishing up for the day soon so I will go and see if she'd be willing to come and speak to you. Perhaps tomorrow would be a better time for that though. You do need your rest."

He patted the man's shoulder gently, "You're very welcome, I was only doing my job though. Now food wise I'd leave it go another few hours. Your body is still experiencing shock. You'll notice a drastic change in what you like to eat now as well. Gone the days of well cooked meats, you'll be craving raw or rare cuts from now on in. Now I best be on my way. Good day Professor".

Samson took the file with him on the man and headed out closing the door behind him. A few moments later he met Corinne and explained about the necessary potions for him that may be required so that she could at least have them on hand if needs be. He then went in search of the young lady who might make even just the slightest change to the professors state of mind with a few choice words.

Tom nodded his head at the news of a potion to take away the pain and something to help him sleep if he needed it. "Whatever times suits her. Today will be fine if she's willing and I'll catch up on sleep later on, or tomorrow if it suits her better and I'll sleep now" Tom said quietly. "Well I suppose that's good news. Well done meat has never cut it for me" Tom said trying to make joke of a somewhat grave matter. "Good day" Tom said, before turning onto his side. He wondered whether the woman would turn up now or whether she would see him tomorrow. Deciding not to risk falling asleep although it seemed highly impossible, he returned to laying on his back and started to stare up at the ceiling. Lovely colour Tom said jokingly laughing at how bored he was. It was best if he remained cheerful, rather than being depressed. He wondered when the Ministry Official would turn up, registering him as a Werewolf. At least then and after he'd made a full recovery he could go before the Headmaster of Hogwarts and plead to keep his job. He wondered if he would reject him and hire a new Professor. After all many parents would worry about having a Werewolf teaching their children. Prejudice was very high against Werewolves. They were frowned upon but it was something Tom would have to deal with for the rest of his life. But in all honesty, Tom was glad that he had sacrificed a part of himself for his Father's life. It was worth it, and that's what Tom regardless whether it was ten days after being bitten or ten years.

Corinne stopped by her father in the corridor listened carefully to what he asked of her. It was no problem of course and with a smile always at the ready she went to get the necessary potions ready. This didn't take long of course and soon she was entering Professor Fletchers room again.
"Professor Fletcher?" her voice was calm and considered, soft and gentle as she herself was though she was also made of stern stuff. She had to be in the job she was in, being the chief mid wife of the hospital was one thing but being one of the senior healers was another as well. Corinne got to see some extremely gruesome sights but this was her very first werewolf bite. She walked over to the man and smiled at him. Thoughts of how his life would now be so drastically different flooded her, she could not even begin to comprehend how different.

"Would you care for a sleeping draught now or something to ease the pain?"

" Could I have something to ease the pain, and say in about an hour or so a sleeping draught? A young woman may be able to fit me into her timetable so we can talk and I would hate to be asleep when if she comes, so I'll give her an hour if she can make it" Tom said, smiling weakly. "Please, could you just stick to Tom. I'm only a Professor in school time, it sometimes makes you feel a bit old" he added, with a slight grin. "May I ask, if you have ever seen a Werewolf bite before? Could you, if you have divulge any gruesome details? May make my lessons more useful, if of course they do let me keep my job" he said, although trying to remain cheerful.

Corinne felt utterly sorry for him now as he spoke to her, it only seemed as if he spoke out of nervousness. Out of pure anxiousness. She handed him a vial containing the potion that would relieve the pain but also much of the anxiety that was overwhelming him.

"I have only seen one werewolf bite and that was earlier this winter when I believe the young woman my father is bringing to you to speak with came to have her bite healed properly. My father is a master healer ... Tom, you are in good hands." she left another vial on the bedside locker for him, "that is your sleeping draught then".

A knock on the door made her spin around, she smiled at the girl before turning back to the professor.
"I do believe she was able to squeeze you in, I'll leave you and perhaps she can fill in all the blanks for you".

Andromeda smiled at Ms. Kolpeck as she entered the room, her father the director of the hospital had just informed her that a man who had sustained a werewolf bite was in need of her valuable knowledge of the matter. She had laughed of course but after two years of attending the 7th years class on werewolves, she felt equipped enough to deal with the situation, she just seriously hoped she could help somehow. Of course it was only when the midwife stepped aside to leave that Andy saw who the victim was. Her eyes went positively huge in her head.

"Professor Fletcher!" she sounded so shocked as she approached his bedside, "bloody hell. I mean.. sorry. Wow, you got bit. You?!"
She thought it best now to clamp her mouth tightly shut before she said something equally as daft as 'but you're a care of magical creatures professor you should have known better' . Instead she sat down on a stool and looked at him.
"You ok sir? Uhm, the master healer said you wanted to ask some questions, fire away I guess." she so hoped she get a decent grade after this.

"Thank you very much, you've both been very helpful" he said as she motioned to the sleeping draught when a knock on the door was heard. He perked up wondering who this was. His Mother? His Father? He sat up straight, looking to see who the person was, when the Healer opened the door, unfortunately for him she was blocking the way, and curiosity remained.

"Andromeda!"

"The healer was talking about you?! Forgive me, but I imagined someone much older" Fletcher said. "I suppose you'll do just dandy, at least we know each other, so I guess that'll make it that little bit less awkward. He said raising his eyebrows. " It's a long story" he added, before she could ask how the whole darn thing happened. "but ironic you may say. May divulge it to you another time" he said smiling weakly. "I'm restless and a tad sore but other than that I guess I'm well" he said. "I'd also like to thank you for taking some time out of your day to come here and keep me company. I suppose this is a broad thing to ask, but what is it like being a Werewolf? Are many people prejudiced like they're made out to be about Werewolves? He said bombarding her with questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back