Dear Heart

Artemis Tuuri

Artemis shuffled from foot to foot as she stood in the droves of students leaving the castle, saying their last goodbyes. Since the night of the Yule Ball, Art had not seen Jareth and she had to know two things. Had Jareth liked his Christmas present? It really was a special piece as she had made it herself. The dragon hide galleon pouch had been sewn to perfection under her clever fingers, and the black silk cord that tied it together was woven by her sister Deirdre. The hide was dark grown and had a faint green tinge. It seemed to suit Jareth somehow. He reminded her of earth, rain of leaves and pine bark. Once or twice she caught a similar smell on him, and colours danced in her mind that seemed to just be him.

She couldn't pack her own bags yet, because she wasn't sure whether he'd be staying at Hogwarts or going home for the Summer. That was her other question; would he come to stay with her? It seemed like perfect opportunity to get to know each other; exploring the countryside, swimming at the beach and basically doing whatever they wanted. Or whatever he wanted. There were so many questions. Could he fight like she could (though she knew he'd be strong), did he like forests or towns, chocolate frogs or bertie botts? Please say yes, she thought to herself as she scanned the crowd. Was he here saying goodbye to anyone or leaving to go home? Or was she entirely wrong and he was up in the Slytherin common room?

"Jareth?" called Art, looking around as she was jostled too and fro by her much taller peers.

((Sorry, just remembered this.. Please don't murder me!))

Jareth had not packed his bags yet.
He had been curious as to whether or not Artemis had or was leaving and he wanted to thank her for his Christmas present.
His eyes scanned the crowd as he said goodbye to fellow Slytherins he had become used to.
Then he heard a voice calling out through the crowd. It was Artemis' voice calling his name.
Surely he was imagining it.

The galleon pouch rested in his pocket.
He was considering whether or not her voice was a hallucination when he caught a glimpse of the tiny girl.
He practically beamed ear to ear.
"Artemis!" Jareth said, over the noise, beating the crowd aside to get to see her.
Now they were standing facing one another.
"Thank you so much for the present." he said, pulling it a little from his pocket to show her he had it.
"Are you.. Are you staying here for the holidays?"
It was hard for him not to shout over all the noise surrounding.

When Artemis heard the sound of Jareth's voice she grinned so widely that her pointed ears lifted a few centimeters. "Oh, it's no problem at all," she said shyly. "I made it myself for 'ye. I thought ye'd like it, it seemed to suit 'ye, y'know." There was a short pause where she looked up and him and managed to turn her smile from goofy to kind and welcoming. "Oh, ye've kept it on 'ye! That's good." She twiddled her fingers together for a moment before taking a deep breath to ask him.

"Well, I just wanted to know whether or not 'ye were going home for Christmas. Either way, I wanted to..." She prayed that he wouldn't think it too forward of her to ask this. They hadn't been together... no, partnered ... no, courting - friends for very long. Yet she still wanted to the opportunity to get to know him more. Unable to contain herself, Artemis blurted it out, her voice rising above those of the throng of students around them. "Would 'ye like to come home with me?!"

Fool, fool, fool of a girl! she cursed herself, turning tomato red. Every head turned down towards them at the same moment. "I mean to visit in the summer!" she squeaked, burying her face in her hands.

Jareth noticed the people looking round at them.
He frowned at those people. "Have you got nothing better to do?" he said, almost a little fiercely as he defended Artemis.
The people watching seemed shocked by the growl from this small boy and almost immediately turned away.
"I would love to, Artemis," Jareth beamed, taking her hands from her face.
He had learnt since meeting Artemis that shame was something you should not feel- Not unless you've done something bad.
Now, Jareth held Artemis' hands. He was not scared to do this. He was not scared to express the way he felt for her;
She was beautiful.
"If that's ok with you." he added after a moment or two. "I mean, I wouldn't want to intrude."

Art couldn't help but be a little shocked at how how roughly he spoke to the people around him, but inwardly she gave a little 'You tell 'em!'. It really was rather flattering that he was so protective of her. She had to be careful not to lose herself in his eyes. Protect your heart, Artemis. her mind told her. If thing aren't all that they seem I will not be hurt by him, she responded. Art didn't think herself beautiful in the least, even when Jareth looked at her with such eyes. But he was starting to turn her mind and make her believe that she was special and she could not, would not let that happen.

Yet still her heart leaped like a jack rabbit when he took her hands. Oh, how can I resist? she implored her mind. Look at him... if he were any more an angel, he'd be glowing!

"Oh no, ye're welcome to visit any time 'ye like. I don't know what 'ye like to do on the hols yet, but we can go climbing and swimming, or walk to the markets or..." You're rambling, Art. "I, er... Would that be alright with yer family?"

"That would be wonderful." Jareth said happily. "I'm sure they wont mind- It'll probably be nice for them to get a break from me."

((Sorry, I'm going to have to come back to this later- My eye is bleeding :erm: ))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back