Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual (Jason)
Wand
Knotted 11 Inch Whippy Oak Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Odette had been avoiding Matthew for almost half a year now. The entire semester. He had tried to talk to her numerous times, but had always been sent away. Either by Odette herself or her rude friends, like the boy she had been talking to at the Slytherin table. So his new strategy was to wait outside the Slytherin common room like a stalker for her to come out. He hoped it would be soon, as he felt very uncomfortable standing there. Slytherins passed him occasionally, and he thought they were giving him funny looks. It may just be in his head, though, he couldn't be sure. He tried to look casual as he waited, but was already slowly giving up hope. She could be anywhere. Or she could be inside and simply not come out for hours. It was surprisingly hard to get someone alone in this school. At least, someone that didn't want to be found. He leaned against the wall, wishing he had something to do that would at least make him look busy and not like he was waiting around for somebody.

Mervyn had finished his classes for the day, and was lost for things to do by himself, so, making the logical choice, he headed down to the dungeons to look for Leda. He couldn't go into the common room by himself, but he could always ask one of the passing Slytherins to go in and fetch Leda for him. Not all of them obliged, but mostly they were kind enough to agree. When he reached the common room that day, however, there was somebody in Hufflepuff robes standing outside the entrance already. He was an older boy, and not one that Mervyn recognized, but that didn't deter him: he wasn't shy to talk to strangers. "Wotcher waitin' out 'ere for? Waitin' fer someone as well, are yer?"

Matthew was just starting to reconsider standing here, when a boy approached him. He looked young, around Charlotte's age. And Matthew first assumed he was a Slytherin until he took a better look at the boy's robes. Matthew gave him a vague smile, expecting him to either move along or wait in silence as well, but the boy seemed not to be intimated by him in the slightest. Matthew was quite a bit taller than him, and knew that if the roles were reversed he would have been too shy to say anything. Maybe he should start frowning more. But for now, he'd just answer the boy. "Yeah, I am." He told the boy with a smile, once again conscious of his accent. "Who are you waiting for? A sibling?" He jumped to that conclusion because that's what he was doing, though it could very easily be a friend too.

"Nah, right, not a siblin', me. I'm an only child. Only one child like me. I'm waitin' fer me friend." He leaned against the wall, looking up at the elder boy curiously, oblivious to the fact he was blocking the way and Slytherins were glaring at him as they walked past. "Woss your game, then? Got a bruvver or a sister in Slyverin 'ass?"

Matthew nodded when the young boy told him he was an only child. It made him feel kind of sorry for him. He had always loved having a sister, and now that he had two he only wanted to protect them both. Not having any would be odd, and he couldn't imagine what sort of pressure he'd be getting from his father if that were the case. The boy's accent was hard for him to place, though he could follow him easily enough. "My sister, Odette." He said with a nod. He had two sisters, but he didn't feel like explaining all that to a stranger. He probably shouldn't even have said her name, but it had slipped out. He didn't think it would matter all that much, considering the boy was so much younger than him and probably didn't even know Odette."What's your name?" He asked instead, curious if he was someone Charlotte knew. If he knew the boy's name he could ask her later.

Mervyn nodded, as if he had any idea who Odette was. It was a guilty pleasure of his, delving into the private lives of other people. He didn't mean any harm, not really - he just loved a juicy story. Or maybe he'd got that from Leda. Whatever - he liked to know everything about everyone.

Upon being asked his name, Mervyn stood erect and thrust his chin into the air. "My name is Mister Mervyn Strangeways," he said, in an obviously rehearsed voice. "Part-time first year Gryffindor and full-time Helper of the People. ALWAYS FOR THE GREATER GOOD!" He relaxed and reverted to his usual manner. "Whot about you? Woss your name?"

Matthew hadn't expected the boy to introduce himself with such dramatics, or such an air of self-importance. It was quite hard for him not to laugh at the display, but he managed to keep his expression intact and simply nodded. "I'm afraid my own introduction lacks your flair. I'm Matthew Harper." He said, an amused and slightly indulgent smile on his lips.

Matthew was right - his introduction did lack flair - but Mervyn didn't mind. He preferred not to have too much competition. "Never mind, Maffew - we can't all be... 'ang on a minute, did I 'ear you say 'arper?" The Gryffindor frowned and folded his arms. "There's a girl wot's in my year called 'arper. Charlotte, I fink 'er name is. You two isn't by some chance related, is you?"

Matthew was surprised to hear his sister's name coming from the boy, mostly because he didn't seem like the type of person Charlotte would hang out with. Still, he supposed it wasn't too surprising that she was making a name for herself among the first years. She definitely was someone who liked to be in the spotlight and stand out. Once again, he spoke without thinking. "Yes, she's my sister." He said, a hint of pride in his voice. But then he remembered what he had said earlier. Never before had he admitted both girls were his sisters to anyone that didn't know the situation, and as he realized his mistake he couldn't help a small grimace. He tensed and glanced at the entrance of the common room, hoping the boy would move on to another subject and forget about it. "Well, I don't think she's coming out. Maybe I should go." He said hurriedly, though he wasn't sure if leaving was the right thing either. He could only hope the boy had better things to do than keep track of his family tree from a single conversation.

"Hmmm," said Mervyn, eyes narrowing. But before he had a chance to think longer on the matter, suddenly the Hufflepuff was making to leave. "Oi!" said Mervyn, who hadn't missed the small grimace of regret. "You ain't nervous, is you? 'Cause you looks it. Don't tell me you's embarrassed Miss 'arper's your Skin and Blister. Keepin' it on the down-low, are ya?" He was talking rather loudly. "Woss the problem, then, eh? Woss wiv the face? You can't 'ide it from Mervyn the Perspicacious Strangewayes, my sir. Nope - I knows everyfin' what goes on in this castle, innit? It's all right though, sir; I can keep your secret nice and safe - not a soul will 'ear about it, that's me promise to you, sir. Well, for a price, obviously." Mevryn leaned against the wall and examined his fingernails. "My services are unparalleled, that's what they are. And a man needs a bit'a motivation to keep his mouf shut, if you catch me drift."

Matthew was starting to get anxious talking to this guy, especially as he had said both his sister's names. No one at Hogwarts aside from Maddie Walden even knew about him having more than one sister. He had just wanted to wait for Odette, not get caught up in his own lies. Lies, he hated lying for this very reason. They always caught up with you and go you in trouble. He stared in disbelief at the boy when he said he needed motivation to keep his mouth shut. He had to bluff, get out of this. "What are you talking about?" He asked, scoffing and averting his gaze. "I just said I'm here waiting for my sister Charlotte, there's nothing odd about that. Nothing you can't say to anyone else." He said, trying his best not to look guilty, though he couldn't quite look at the boy as he said it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back