Dancing fools

Sebastian Rossi

Wand
Straight 14" Rigid Aspen Wand with Essence of Belladonna Core
In between classes one day, Sebastian slipped a note to Trilby asking her whether she wanted to start their dancing lessons during the weekend. He still couldn't believe that the two of them had decided to try learning how to dance together, but knew that it would probably be fun. At the very least Sebastian knew that he couldn't be any worse than she was and he was bound to learn something.

The weekend had finally arrived and Sebastian went to the room he had indicated in the note. It was the first free time he had in a while, seeing as the professors had been keeping the students busy with massive amounts of homework. Sebastian had barely seen Trilby over the past few weeks except during class and even then they did not really get a chance to speak.

With a flourish of his wand, the desks pushed themselves to the corners of the room, clearing a huge space for them to dance. With his luck though, Sebastian knew he would somehow find his way into one of them. Walking over to one of the desks, Sebastian placed the wizarding radio he had kept locked away in his trunk on the desktop. He turned it on to a low volume and began moving through the stations trying to find something for them to dance to.

Trilby was excited at the prospect of learning how to dance. She had smiled at the note slipped to her by Sebastian and had been distracted from her studies through out the entire few days left before they were to practise. Watching him now from the door way she smiled before entering.

With fitted slacks and a light jumper on, her long black hair pulled back and shoes with a slight heel to them Trilby looked casual but at the same time also managed to pull off sophistication.
"Are you looking for fast or slow music?" she grinned at him moving over to stand along side him. The room had already been freed for space but as she looked about she wondered if they wouldn't need any more.

"I hope this is big enough" she ventured nervously walking to the center of the room and waited for him to join her, "what type of dance are we trying first?"

"Hey" Sebastian said in greeting, "I dunno. Fast, I guess." He found a station that played clearly enough and gave Trilby a sidelong glance. She looked very nice and Sebastian wished that he had thought to dress up a little nicer too. He was wearing a green t-shirt, a pair of ripped jeans and the black sneakers that he had owned for over a year.

Now that they were about to get started, Sebastian was growing more nervous. He looked around the room. "I think I'll bump into a few tables anyway, but it should be large enough." Just then, a song began to play on the radio and Sebastian laughed at the familiar tune. "I love this song" he said with a smile as he held out his hand to Trilby.

When Sebastian said the words 'fast' she didn't know what to expect, regarding music or dance. She had watched often enough from a distance at formal dances but for the life of her would not know what to do. She smiled at him now as the music he chose began to play out about the room. Trilby looked on speechless at the ferocity of the music. How was she supposed to dance to this? She had no natural movement of her own that might help her at all. She may as well have been footless as to having two left feet, it would be more preferable by far.

Looking at his hand she bit her lower lip before placing her small delicate one in his. Allowing her gaze to look up trustingly to him she ventured a smile.
"What now?"

Sebastian couldn't help but chuckle at Trilby's expression as the music began to pour out of the radio. When she grabbed his hand, he smiled and began to try and sway to the beat as he had seen many others do at dances before. He felt sort of foolish and wasn't even sure he was dancing on beat, so he stopped.

"I don't know. I guess we just try and move to the beat, if we can find it." he replied with a smirk as he tried to twirl her around. "Or we can try something a little slower if you want" he suggested, realizing that this song might not have been the best one to learn to dance to.

Trilby could not help but smile as Sebastian began to sway out of time to the music and chuckled as he attempted to twirl her though she all but collided with a chair. She felt relief when he suggested they try slower music and letting go of his hand walked to the wizarding radio.
"Do you mind if I try to find something?" she asked but without waiting for an answer began to turn the dial until the melodic tones of what was a waltz wafted out to meet them.
She walked back to where Sebastian stood and decided to take charge.
"Ok, this
is a waltz." she placed one hand on his shoulder and took his other hand in hers extending them from their bodies.
"Now you place your hand on my waist"Trilby waited for him to do this not taking her eyes from his once as she was in danger of laughing at their situation, "this is a waltz. A count of three steps and turn. I've seen it done and it does not look very hard. You will have to lead though".

Sebastian shook his head as Trilby walked over to the radio. “Not at all” he said and smiled when some much slower music began to come from the radio. When Trilby walked over to him and placed her hand on his shoulder and took his other hand. Sebastian just went along with it, seeing as though Trilby seemed to know something about this type of dancing.

Just as he was about to ask what he should do with his other hand, Trilby told him. Sebastian’s face reddened as he placed his hand on her waist, his eyes dropping to his hand to be sure it didn’t touch anything it shouldn’t. Looking back up, Sebastian gave Trilby a tight smile as he listened to her instructions and nodded, “1, 2, 3 then turn? Sounds simple enough.”

Sebastian adjusted his grip on Trilby’s waist and then looked down at their feet as he began leading her in the waltz. The smile that had been on his face vanished as he concentrated on not stepping on her toes and keeping the beat. One, two, three…Sebastian thought as they began. He turned her gingerly and then stepped on her foot as they came out of the turn. “Sorry” he said, shaking his head. “I knew that was going to happen.”

She watched as the color in his face changed drastically and wondered at it only briefly. They finally began to dance, both seemingly looking at their feet in order to count the steps. She honestly felt they were doing remarkably well until he became adventurous in doing a turn, as she came back in he stood on her foot and in her shock moved a bit closer only to bump her forehead against his.

"Ouch and double ouch" she chuckled not sure if she wanted to rub her foot or her head first, she chose her head though as she smiled at him.
"We can do this. Try again?" She placed her hand on his shoulder once more but this time moved in closer so that they could not see their feet, they would have to either look away from each other or at one another. Her other hand raised in wait for his.
"We might do better by not looking at our feet" she felt a little more self conscious now that she was standing much closer to him. He was her friend though, quickly becoming her best friend. Surely this close proximity shouldn't bother them?

Sebastian couldn’t help but laugh as Trilby bumped his head after he stepped on her foot. With a hand rubbing his head, Sebastian said “Well, now that we’ve got that out of the way…”

Sebastian nodded as she suggested they would do better if they couldn’t see their feet. It had certainly proven to be a distraction for him. With Trilby much closer to him this time, Sebastian raised his hand to her waiting one and placed his bigger one on top. He placed his other hand on her waist. “Here we go” he said as he began to move.

There was nowhere to look but at Trilby now, which was more awkward than he thought it would be. It wasn’t as if he didn’t see her everyday because he did, but standing this close and looking into her eyes was somehow different. Sebastian’s face turned serious as he began to lead Trilby through the steps. Following the one, two three turn, Sebastian breathed a sigh of relief as they managed to get through it without any further injury. Looking into her eyes, Sebastian smiled. “…I think we’re getting it” he said slowly with a grin, trying not to stumble with the added distraction of talking.

It was completely unnerving to simply keep looking into his eyes, she found she wanted to look away for etiquette at least but began to find the funny side in it all. Sebastian sounded delighted that they were finally getting it when his very words seemed to jinx them once more. Her heel banged on the foot end of a desk and her ankle twisted slightly. Instinctively her body fell forward, her hand released his as she clutched his shoulder instead to steady herself.

Finding her face though bare inches from his now added once more to the confusion and hilarity of their predicament. Slowly she managed to steady herself, hopping slightly on her good foot as she put a more respectable distance between them. Sebastian was very goodlooking, there was no denying that but he was her only friend at the school. Her only real friend, she could not risk getting involved with him.

Holding on to his arm she smiled, the smile slowly turning into a chuckle.
"We're hopeless at this, maybe we need a proper dance instructor?"

As Trilby stumbled, Sebastian felt like smacking himself in the head. Why did I open my big mouth? He tried to steady Trilby by grabbing her elbow as she steadied herself on his shoulder. Sebastian shook his head and laughed. "I'll keep my mouth shut next time." It was then that he realized that Trilby had hurt her ankle. She seemed to be limping anyway. "Are you ok, Trilby? Do you want to sit?" he asked with a look of concern on his face. Trilby was truly his best friend here and the fact that she was hurt, probably because of him, was disconcerting to him.

When she called them hopeless, Sebastian laughed. "That is definitely an understatement, madamoiselle" he joked. "Maybe we should get professional help though she'll probably run for the hills when she watches us dance. Well, me anyway. You did great" he began. "...until the whole stumbling thing" he teased.

Trilby could only smile at him and nod her head. Without consciously thinking about it she automatically reverted to French, her words coming fast and hurried.
"I can't believe I was so clumsy. Anywhere or anything else I am fine, I look the epitome of poise and grace but as soon as I begin to dance I become like an elephant. Yes Sebastian, I am ok. Though I think my ego has been eternally bruised now."

She hobbled her way to the nearest chair and sat down, gingerly removing her shoes and rubbing her ankle tentatively. Looking up at him she smiled.
"I will live, don't look so worried".

It was only then she realized her error and sighed.
"Oh Sebastian" she smiled at him, "I am sorry. Sometimes I don't realize when I change back to French. I am alright. Honestly, you must not worry but you are right. I think anyone trying to teach us would run for the hills."

She flecked her foot, wincing slightly as pinpricks of pain shot through her ankle.

Sebastian tried his best to keep up with Trilby's hurried French, but his practice only allowed him to pick up on a few of the words. He heard her say something about being clumsy and an elephant and being ok, but the rest of it was lost on him. A confused expression settled on his face.

Once she sat down and realized she was speaking French, she returned to English and Sebastian smiled as she told him not to worry. He had the feeling she was downplaying how much it was hurting. "Maybe we should get you to the nurse so she can heal you" he suggested to her. "I'll help you there. C'mon, you can lean on me" he added as he stepped closer to help her up.

Trilby stood up slowly wincing once more as she put a little pressure on her foot, she felt seriously rotten for cutting their dance lessons short and sighing wished she knew even a minor healing spell. Sebastian moved closer to help her and she smiled up at him apologetically.

"I am sorry Sebastian, maybe we can begin again once my ankle has been taken care of. It shouldn't take too long" she said to him hoping that he was not very disappointed by their short lesson and their still inept ability to dance. She reached her hand out to place around his waist for balance.

"Thank you at least for bringing me up there".

Sebastian’s eyebrows rose as Trilby contemplated them trying to dance again. He had nearly written them off as lost causes. “You’re still willing to risk it? Man, Trilby…you’re a trooper” he proclaimed. “I’m in if you are” he said, shaking his head and laughing. As she placed her hand around his waist, Sebastian shifted so that he could help her take the weight off her bad ankle.

He shrugged as she thanked him. “That’s what friends are for. I just wish I knew a healing spell because then we could fix it before we get out of here.” Smiling as they left the room slowly, Sebastian tried to keep Trilby’s mind off the pain. “So, any cool plans for the break?” he asked. “I was thinking of going to get my eyebrow pierced. What do you think? I hear the ladies like it.” Sebastian knew his grandmother would probably say no to his idea, but he also knew that if he tried hard enough he might be able to convince her to allow him to do it.

She could not help but chuckle lightly at her friend, he was a breath of fresh air in her life. Her rather dull monotonous life.
"I think perhaps I am just severly stupid and not really a trooper at all" she smiled, shaking her head moments later when asked about her plans.
"I have a friend in New Zealand that I wanted to see, I don't know why as he has not written to me in ages perhaps it is for some closure. I do not know, then it will be home to Marseilles to spend Christmas with my family. How about you Sebastian?"

She turned her face to look at him, wondering if he would be one of the few that would stay put or go home. Trilby could not help but frown slightly, a comical look for her otherwise beautiful features.
"I have never seen one done before. Will it hurt? I have only my ears pierced and even that to me was agony" she grinned brightly at him.

Sebastian listened to Trilby as they continued to make their way to the hospital wing. He wondered what had happened between the two friends that they would need closure. It wasn’t his business though, so he didn’t ask. When she asked about his plans, Sebastian shrugged, “I don’t know. I think I’ll be home with my Gran. Nothing special.” Although he said it was nothing special, it was. This would be the first Christmas in a long time that Sebastian spent with someone from his actual family. He really was looking forward to it, and from the letter his gran had sent him, she was too.

When she asked about his piercings, Sebastian grinned. “Really? It didn’t bother me when I got mine pierced” he said with a shrug, thinking about when he had gotten his ear pierced a little over a year ago.

Looking up, Sebastian realized they were in front of the hospital wing. He stopped and gave Trilby a small squeeze. “In case I don’t get to talk to you before the break. I’m out of here as soon as my last exam is over.” He suddenly wished he had a gift to give her. “I hope you have a good break, Tril. Thanks for making this semester bearable” he said with a chuckle.

Trilby smiled at him a bit embarrassed.
"Well I say family, it's really just my extremely over protective father. Which in itself is a bit of an oxymoron. He doesn't want me around because I remind him too much of..." she turned her head away for a moment, "but he also doesn't want anything bad to happen to me or good, or anything." She sighed, "your holiday sounds a bit better than mine".
She had picked up on the slight change in his voice as he had mentioned his grandmother and was envious of him.

She felt the sudden squeeze and barely had time to reciprocate.
"I hope you have too Sebastian, you just better come back after the holidays otherwise this place will be unbearable for me too".

They made their way into the hospital wing, it seemed an absolute age that they were in there but really it was less than an hour. Her ankle all healed they were allowed to leave again. Trilby discovering that she missed the contact of him to lean on as they left the hospital wing. It was not long before they were down in the room again, practicing just as hard as before but this time being so much more careful that they were able to finally execute a dance without any injury at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back