Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Straight (Delaney)
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Flexible Yew Wand with Fairy Wing Core
If someone had told Diana a few weeks ago how much she would enjoy spending time with one of those weird Ravenclaw twins, she would have laughed in their face. But it was true, Edmund was surprisingly fun to be around, and she found herself smiling in his company a lot. After they had bonded over the prank they had pulled on that silly first year, the two had spent a bit more time together. It was a little strange to see the older boy without his twin at his side, but Diana felt proud of the fact that she managed to get him on his own. As far as she knew, no one else did. It made her feel special. Befriending this boy also kept her mind of Sapphire a bit more. She was still angry with the girl, and spent most of her time pointedly ignoring her.

Hanging out with a boy was a little different than hanging out with a girl. Diana couldn't help but feel like people watching them assumed they were together. She didn't really mind that. In fact, it was pretty nice. Sure, Edmund was a little strange looking and definitely not very popular, but he was still older than her. And taller as well. Diana had it in her head that they should go to the yule ball together. The problem was, Edmund hadn't asked her. Asking him herself didn't even occur to the Slytherin. Not really. In her mind, the boys had to ask the girls. But that didn't mean they couldn't be guided into the right direction. "Can you believe it's nearly Christmas yet? I wonder if they'll put up snow effects again at the yule ball, as if it's not summer here." She said, deciding that a snide comment was the most efficient way of making Edmund interested in the subject.

A friend was something Edmund had never had before, and although he had been spending an alarming amount of time with Diana, away from Theodore, he didn't know at what point the term would apply. They certainly seemed to be becoming friends at least, something Edmund had never anticipated having, and the experience was surprisingly pleasant. Diana's sense of humour was similar to the one he and his brother shared, though she was more willing to go further, her engagement with others clearly emboldening her. It was surprisingly nice. Edmund felt more justified than ever in his view that there was something to be gained from interacting with others, as much as Theodore would prefer the twins to remain isolated.

The thought of introducing Diana and Theodore properly had crossed Edmund's mind a few times, but each time he backed down from the concept quickly. He was yet to think of a way to introduce them that wasn't going to cause friction, and the more time they spent together, the more he was beginning to appreciate having someone to talk to of his own, who had nothing to do with Theodore. It felt... special, in a way. Diana's comment pulled Edmund out of his thoughts and he glanced at her, a little surprised. "I wouldn't know." He commented. "I've never attended." The only school function Edmund saw fit to attend was Halloween, as it was both his birthday and a celebration of everything he held dear. The others served no purpose, as far as he could tell.

Apparently, Diana had been too subtle. It wasn't too big of a surprise that this boy had never gone to the yule ball before, but it was a problem. If he hadn't gone, he probably felt no urge to ask her out to go with him either. Diana's brow furrowed slightly as she tried to puzzle out the best way to make Edmund do what she wanted. "I attended last year, it's kind of tacky and silly... but bearable with the right person to hang out with." She said, giving him a sideways glance that couldn't be classified as subtle. But Diana was starting to think Edmund needed the prompting.

Edmund was... surprised that he was surprised that Diana was so interested in the Yule Ball. He supposed he had considered such tedious social engagements would be beneath someone like her, as they were beneath him, but listening to her talk, it became clear to him that obviously this was the kind of event she would enjoy. "I see. Are you planning to attend with friends this year?" He asked a little stiffly. Edmund wasn't entirely sure why this was the topic of discussion, but he knew Diana well enough now that he actually didn't want to insult her, at least not by accident. It surely wouldn't do to point out how silly such an event was.

Diana was starting to lose patience with Edmund in this conversation. Was he purposely missing the point? Maybe he didn't want to go with her but was too polite to say it directly? No, obviously the boy had no trouble being direct even if it hurt someone's feelings. So what was it? She shrugged at his question, letting a small sigh escape her. "Well, I was hoping to attend with a new friend I've made in particular." She said, giving him another glance. "He's around your height. Ravenclaw. Has a wicked sense of humor and likes spiders..." For some reason, the boy seemed obsessed with the creatures. "Wouldn't it be funny to go, make fun of everyone's clothes and laugh at people?" She added, hoping she didn't sound too desperate. If he rejected her now, she could always pretend she meant his twin brother or something, though she had never met the boy.

As much as he didn't actually want to offend Diana, Edmund was struggling a little to pay attention. She wanted to go to the dance with some friend. It wasn't until the word spiders that he really tuned in, that he realised what he was being asked. Diana wanted to go to the dance with him. As a date? A date to the dance? Edmund stared at her for a long moment, processing the thought, unable to disguise his shock. Edmund had never really considered dating at all, school dance aside. He had never really expected anyone to show any interest in him. She wasn't proposing a relationship though, this could simply be a friendly offer, and though the dance itself was unappealing, Edmund had to admit to himself that the thought of making fun of the people there with Diana was a... surprisingly welcome one. "I... are you asking me to the dance?" Was all Edmund could manage to say, voice a little croaky, caught unawares by the entire concept.

Diana was a little dismayed by the expression on Edmund's face as he stared at her. He seemed completely shocked, as if the idea of going to the dance with her had never even crossed his mind. She wasn't that repugnant, was she? Diana was confident she was one of the prettiest girl in her year. But she supposed she hadn't really paid attention to the year above her. Maybe Edmund liked someone else? That would be horrible. His question made her huff out an annoyed breath, and she averted her gaze. "A lady shouldn't have to ask." She said curtly.

As hard as he had been trying not to offend Diana, Edmund now seemed to have done exactly that. Staring at her uncertainly, a large part of Edmund felt that this must be the end. There seemed nothing to do but to abandon the conversation, go and find Theodore and pretend this whole friendship had never happened. He had tried to reach out and make a friend and now, it seemed, failed altogether. He resisted the urge to simply turn and run though, feeling himself trapped living through wherever this nightmarish conversation was going. "Are... you asking me to ask you then?" He asked weakly, wondering if this was what hell was like.

This was intensely frustrating, and Diana resisted the urge to stomp her foot. Why wasn't it easier to just get what she wanted? All she wanted was to go to the ball with a boy. Maybe she had tried the wrong boy, but it wasn't like she was drowning in options. She felt embarrassed, especially when Edmund asked his question. Put that way, she sounded quite pathetic. Her cheeks heated up and she shrugged. "It was just an idea." She muttered quickly. "But if this isn't your thing, I'm sure someone else will ask me... but I don't know if they'll want to make fun of people like you would." She shrugged, as if she didn't really care.

Edmund had never truly understood the concept of wanting the floor to open and swallow him until now. It was impossible to tell what Diana was trying to convey, she had seemed like she wanted to go with him, but now she seemed not to care. At least until her last remark. Trying to pull himself together, Edmund realised that clearly there was a response Diana was hoping for, and since it certainly wasn't whatever he was doing now there was no way trying something different would possibly make the situation worse. "I... had just never considered it." He said uncertainly, though he was sure his surprise at the situation was still clear in his voice. "Would... you like to go together?"

Diana bite her lip when she heard Edmund say he had never considered it. Did that mean he had never considered going at all? Or simply not with her? She opened her mouth to tell him to forget it, when he finally, finally asked the question she had been angling for. It wasn't as certain and confident as she would have liked, but it was there. Turning to him, she gave him a smile. "I would love to." She said, tilting her head slightly to the side. "I'll be wearing black." She added, though she wasn't sure what she expected Edmund to do with that information.

Of all the reactions he might have predicted, Edmund certainly hadn't expected the sudden, abrupt change in demeanour. It seemed he had done the right thing however, and he gave Diana a thin, slightly wary smile. "I see." He said a little uncertainly. He didn't know why she was telling him what she was wearing - was he supposed to do the same? The only formal clothes Edmund had were hand-me-downs, and he hadn't expected to ever wear them at school. Thinking about the reality of finding something to wear made Edmund acutely aware of what he had just agreed to. He was going to a school dance, of all things, and with... a girl, who upon glancing at her Edmund was now becoming aware was... quite pretty. Edmund had never expected relationships to be a large part of his life, but... there was something pleasant about such a pretty and funny girl wanting to go to the dance with him.

Diana was very pleased with this outcome. It had taken more prompting than she would have liked, but at least Edmund finally got the point in the end. She smiled widely, already picturing them together at the yule ball. She was only a second year, and she had a date. But she was also already thirteen, it would have been embarrassing for her not to have one. "I look forward to it." She said honestly. Then, she leaned in to peck him on the cheek. "I'll see you soon, okay?" She said before backing away slightly. "I have to catch up with my younger sister." She was going to tell Alice all about this. Inside, she was a lot more excited about this date than she was letting on. It was her first date ever, and she was eager to see how it would go.

Edmund still felt blindsided by this entire situation, but Diana's excitement was somewhat infectuous and he smiled back at her nervously, wondering what exactly the yule ball would be like. He was completely distracted from his thoughts however, when Diana leaned closer, and he felt a moment of soft lips on his cheeks. Edmund felt his cheeks and ears heat up, and couldn't hold back his smile from widening to a degree he didn't think it had ever reached before. He was a little sad that Diana had to go, but nodded. "I'll... see you later then." He said awkwardly, and even as he walked away from Diana, Edmund couldn't make this stupid smile go away. Now... how to tell Theodore about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back