Crying

Kate Johnson

Wand
Holly wand, 11" Essence of Phoenix Feather
((Continued from 'Family Argument' on the 3rd floor corridor.))
Kate ran down the dungeon steps and into a little cove in the wall. She sat down with her head in her hands a wept deeply. She was really upset. Hoping that someone would come and comfort her, she felt that she could keep on crying until the blue moon came around. James had been like a big brother to her and now, this is how he treated her.

Hollie was passing the dungeons, and, by complete coincidence, heard someone crying. Compassion mingled with curiousity, she ran down the stone steps in search of the source to this noise.
Eventually she found Kate, huddled in a little cove in the wall. Gasping in horror, she noticed that her friend was weeping tragically.

"Kate!" she gasped, kneeling down beside her friend. "Kate, what's wrong? What's the matter? What has happened?"

Kate looked up as she heard someone coming. She was delighted when she found out that it was Hollie. Just the person Kate needed to talk to. "Hi Hollie." She snivelled. "Whats up?" She asked. "Well, James and I had a massive row and we both even got our wands out and he told me that he hated me and that i was a liar. Oh Hollie, he was like a big brother to me and now, now this. I know that he is broken up about his dads death. I mean after his mum dying when he was 4 it is very tough on him finding out that he is now an orphan. He even asked to stay at school and i just tried to make him feel better and now this." She cried harder now and harder until she couldn't cry any more. "I have ruined everything." She stated loudly.

Hollie settled herself into a comfortable position; she could tell she was gonna be here a while. And then she began her expertise advice. She thought she was fairly good at this kind of thing - well, this would be the challenge.
"Ok, let's get the record straight. You have not ruined everything. No way. Ok? I don't know what's happened but that's certainly not it. And now, before I give you more stupid advice, then you're gonna tell me everything that's happened. And I can relate to this. In a very peculiar way, no doubt, but I know someone who nearly died of their grief and then took it out on someone they were very close to, ok?" She smiled tentatively. "So spill."
She took a deep breath and then waited for Kate to talk.

Kate smiled at Hollie's kind words of wisdom and looked at her calmly as she started to calm down. Hollie signalled for Kate to start, so she did.
"Well, when James was 4, his mum died of an illness that hid itself and by the time they found it, it was too late. James was broken up about it, well, as much as you can be and so was his dad. Now the other day, we recieved news that the same illness had attacked his dad and had killed him too. James was completely broken. However, to everyone's surprise, James asked to stay here and not to go home only to go when the funeral was happening. We have all done our upmost for him and he carried on being protective of me since. James has always wanted a firebolt and i was the only person that knew that so i told my parents and they got one. He asked me how they found out and i told him the truth - it was me. Well he told me that he didn't believe me and i was a liar because i didn't know anything about brooms or that quiditch stuff. He shouted at me and we both got out our wands to protect ourselves and he told me that he hates me and i am a liar." Kate burst into more tears now and hugged her knees as she rocked like a baby. "What can i do Hollie? He is like a brother to me." She repeated herself.

Hollie listened to the story empathetically.
"Well, it sounds like he's just full of grief right now," she said, dubiously, "and any act of kindness seems inhuman. The guy's just lost his dad... he's gonna be broken, like you said. His dad's death is probably gonna bring everything rushing back - Prof. Barker's kidnap certainly did that for me! He probably feels like the world is against him and nature is evil. So you should just let the phase pass. Seriously, if he feels as awful as you're making out, then kindness may just be too much right now. Just let him mourn for a little bit, and then I give you express permission to show him acts of mercy." She smiled, and then sighed. "Sounds a lot like my friend Lauren's situation, actually."

Kate smiled warmly at Hollie and listened to her suggestions. "Thats sounds cool. Thanks Holie. I meant to ask, how is your life going? How are your parents? Last time you spoke about them, they seemed to be going badly. Whats up with Lauren? Who is she? Not to be rude though." Kate explained.

Hollie shrugged.
"Well, they've just split up, actually. Urm... Lauren's my best friend. She's a muggle, and we've been best pals since... well, since forever!" She smiled. "No, don't worry, not rude!" She smiled. "Yeh she went through a tough time for a while - still is, actually. Always will be. Leave's a life's mark, you know?"

Hollie laughed at Kate's astonishment. She didn't blame her friend; most kids would be bawling their eyes out at any separation within their family.
"Yes, of course!" she said, simply. "Well, perhaps a little upset for my dad - it would have pained him to finish it. And my younger siblings. But it's all a good thing, because my mum was such an unfaithful woman and has had numerous flings with various men, the latest being Henry. My brother Sam and I had known about it for a while, and finally we told dad at Christmas. We couldn't bare to see him getting hurt. And then i received a letter saying he'd finished it, and it came as a relief. She didn't deserve any man half as decent as my dad. And he deserved so much more." She finished with a smile. "So no, not upset. More concerned about my friend Lauren, and that happened AGES ago."

Kate smiled at Hollie, she was so strong at a time like this. "So who is this Lauren kid that you say you have known all of your life then." She asked as she changed the subject for Hollie's sake. "Oh and by the way, if you ever need a home in the holidays or any time, you are always welcome at mine. My parents love visitors!" She smiled hoping that that would cheer Hollie up.

Hollie smiled.
"Ahh, well Lauren is like, my soul mate. We've been best friends since... forever!" she smiled at all the happy memories, but then her smile faded. "She's a muggle though, so because of HNZ we hardly ever see each other."
Hollie smiled at Kate's offer.
"Aww, thanks, I'm sure I'll be fine, but I'll definitely remember that offer!"

Hollie smiled and nodded.
"Yeh, I sure am! Excited mainly about not being part of the youngest bunch, and I definitely want to welcome the first years like Hilary and Harri welcomed me." She beamed as she said this. It was her ambition - to be known amongst the first years as a kind person.

Kate smiled at Hollie, "Yes. I have done exactly the same! I have spent most of my time in Obsidian Harbour and Brightstone Village and one of the Hufflepuffs asked me, 'Are you the Hufflepuff welcomer?' I mean, all i have done is if i bump into them ask them if they need any help!" Kate replied. "So are you going to come to mine over the hols?" Kate asked Hollie.

((PLEASE COME!!!))

Hollie smiled shrewdly at Kate's comment. She knew her friend was just the sort of person to go to any lengths to give first years a nice welcome, and was proud of her.

At the offer of staying, Hollie hesitated. She was supposed to be seeing her best friend Lauren throughout most of the holidays, and didn't want to postpone or cancel that. But after a few calculations in her head, she decided that she could pop over to Kate's.

"Urm... yeh sure, ok then. So where d'ya live?"
and upon remembering her manners...
"oh, and thank you for the invite! I'd love to!"

Kate smiled at Hollie, "I live at." She pulled out some parchment and scribbled it down on some paper. "The house is called Johnson Manor. And it is rather big and it has a massive back garden. Maybe if you come, you can pull James out of fancying Aly Snow!" She exclaimed. "Oh, and Pat is staying there as well. You will be fine with that. Won't you?" She asked nervously. "I know it is Hufflepuff's but my parents do cook the best food and you can ride on my horse with me!" She exclaimed.

Hollie took the parchment from Kate with a 'thank you', and read through it. Ooh... a manor! She wasn't sure if her own huge house counted as a manor, but it sure sounded exciting!
"Oh, so will James be there to?" she asked, thinking of Kate's rather confident cousin and feeling unsure about how she felt about this. "Pat? No prob - that's ok." She smiled at her friend, though she was already feeling rather nervous about staying in a house with only hufflepuffs - they might just talk about stuff she wasn't included in!

"Oh my gosh - you have a horse?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back