Cooking for Two?

Keith Mercer

Wand
Oak 14 3/4" Essence of Raven Feather
Keith had his first weekend back at his place after starting a new job at Hogwarts. He let out a sigh as he padded around the kitchen of Mercer Manor. Yes it was quiet and lonely at times, but he really did love his home. It felt good to be back and he always enjoyed time off work. At least being a Professor he had decent hours.

Smiling, Keith closed up his cook book that was open on the kitchen bench and replaced it in a small bookshelf in the corner of the kitchen filled with a variety of different cookbooks. Most having been passed down through the line of his family. Keith found most things in his house were. He set about making gravy, keeping his eyes on the time. He had asked a house elf to set up the dining room with candles and the finest china. He had to make a good impression.

Finishing the gravy, Keith knew the roast was going to be done soon and everything else in the meal was all prepared, he had given orders to the house elves and Keith knew that tonight would go smoothly. Keith quickly headed upstairs to get something nicer to wear on. He decided on black pants, a black shirt and a black tie. Simple, yet classy. Pulling the tie on as he headed downstairs Keith found himself pacing in his large foyer. He was much too eager to see Avory. Was that a bad thing?

Avory had finally done it. She had successfully joined the ranks of the Death Eaters. The people she had revered for so many years, her dream had come true, her life was complete. She had been on a high away week since she had gotten her stamp of approval, but she hadn't forgotten about a certain meeting with a certain man not so long ago.

She had just about given up on him, if he was so eager for a date he would have owled by now she thought to herself as she sat in her apartment one day. Much to her surprise, yet she had been expecting it, an owl arrived with the long awaited invite. She was somewhat impressed that he was going to be cooking for the two of them, sure she liked to be wined and dined in the finest of places, but there was something about Keith that made her not care about where their date took place.

It was the night of the date and Avory had spent the majority of the day getting ready. She had decided on simple blue dress, which came just above the knee and a pair of black heels. She checked the clock, just about time she thought checking her make-up in the mirror one last time. With an other ruffle of her hair and pucker of her pink lips CRACK.

Within seconds she was standing at the address she had been given. Walking up to the door she took in the house, impressive she thought as she gave the door five light taps with her knuckles.

Keith knew he had nothing to worry about in concerns to his home. It was huge and although it had been passed down through his family, the company in which was also passed down was a building one, so the family was able to keep the house in great shape with all the newest designs constantly being added and older parts of the house updated. He knew it could impress anyone, but his cooking was another thing...

Five knocks on the door pulled Keith from his thoughts and he grinned as he stepped over to the door. He pulled it open and gace Avory a dashing smile. He pulled the door open and waved a hand for her to enter. "Welcome to my home. Its good to see you." He said, leaning in to kiss her cheek gently once she had entered. He took in her appearance and the smile on his face increased. "Your looking rather lovely tonight." He commented.

Avory heard footsteps on the other side of the door, she checked her reflection in the window, even though she had nothing to worry about, her looks never let her down. While checking her reflection she caught a glimpse into the house and in the house she saw Keith, making his way to the door, she couldn't help but smile at the sight of him.

She turned her head quickly, so it was obvious that she was looking through the window, as soon as the door opened. She glanced up at Keith, who was a few inches taller than herself, even in heels. She liked men who were tall, but not too tall, she didn't like been looked down upon. Returning his smile Avory entered the house, taking in all of it's spender, "And what a lovely home it is." She said returning her gaze back to him.

"It's good to see you too." She replied as he kissed her cheek, which immediately went a light shade of pink. Her cheeks continued to turn a darker shade of pink when he commented on her appearance, "And you look very handsome." She said bowing her head to hide her blushing, while pulling a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

Once she had taken a few deep breaths and the burning in her cheeks a cooled of to a low warmth she looked up again, "Mmm what smells so delicious?" she asked after having a moment to take in the smells that seemed to be coming from the direction of the kitchen.

Keith bent his head slightly. "Why thankyou." He said in response to her compliment of his home and his appearence. Keith kept his eyes on Avory, a small smile on his lips. He waited until she spoke, asking what smelt good. Keith laughed lightly. "That-" He said, glancing in the direction of the kitchen. "Would be my cooking." He said with another laugh. "Im not promising anything." He said, before beginning to walk slowly to the dining room. He looked back at Avory. "I thought we could have dinner straight away." He said simply with a smile.

The man cooks, there's another point for you Keith Avory thought to herself, "If it tastes as good as it smells I'm sure it will be great." she said to Keith as she looked around the room from her position. It was clear to see he was a builder, the house was immaculate.

As she was looking around she didn't notice Keith had moved away from her until he spoke again, "Oh," She said, slightly surprised at the small distance between them. She quickly moved back to her side, "Dinner sounds great." She finished looking up at him with a smile.

Keith grinned hoping his cooking was good. He wasnt bad at cooking, but he wasnt exactly a chef. As Avory joined him by his side he smiled back at her slightly smaller frame. He continued walking to the dining room, which wasnt far away.

Stepping through he pulled out a chair next to where he usually sat, offering it to Avory. The table was lined with red finishes, but the rest of the room was white marble.

Avory followed Keith into the dining room. The smell was getting stronger and stronger as they approached the dining room, Avory was beginning to become hungry. Avory took her seat, while giving a girlish laugh, "Such a gentleman, thank you." She said. "So what do we have on the menu tonight Chef?" She asked as she was comfortable on her seat.

Keith grinned and took his own seat. "A classic English roast beef." Keith said, hoping Avory wouldnt disapprove. He clicked his finger and a house elf appeared. "Would you please get me and my guest some wine." He asked the elf quietly, before turning back to Avory as the elf poured wine for them both. "So how have you been?" He asked, nodding when the house elf finished and taking a small sip of his wine.

Roast beef. Avory heard the food on the menu, so to speak, she realised he must have been trying to impress her with a typical meal from both of their home countries. And she had to admit, it was working. Normally she wouldn't like to be reminded off home, but she did miss the food.

Avory watched Keith summon a house elf and waited as he drink was poured. She deliberatly took her time at taking a sip, knowing that after she did, she would have to answer Keith's question. What exactly could she say? Oh I've been good, became a Death Eater, you know? The usual. Obviously not, she would never be able to show her face again after blowing her cover so soon after becoming a Death Eater, and she didn't want to think about what might happen Keith if her fellow Death Eaters were to find out.

After taking her sip of wine she recited off a, sort of, story she had come up with. "Oh things have been going great. My uncle back home has offered me a sort of, consultant job for his, small, advertising company. You know, acting as negotiator between his company and companies over here." She said, glad that she had pulled it off quite well. "How have things been with you?" she asked, taking another sip of her drink.

Keith smiled and listened to Avory's story. Once she had done Keith nodded. "Sounds great." He was grinning. "Congratulations." He added, it was nice to hear the women was doing well. When the question was directed back at him, Keith took another sip of wine and then placed his glass down. "Im actually now the Potions Professor at Hogwarts." He said with a small laugh. "I still have my company, but Ive got other people to run it. Being a Professor gives me something to keep myself occupied with you know." He waved a hand absently. Picking up his wine again. He had told the house elves to bring the food out at a specific time, a quick glance at the clock over the other side of the room told Keith that time would arrive shortly.

A little shade of pink brushed across Avory's cheeks. Why was she blushing? The whole story was a lie? He was congratulating her for lying? Avory didn't have a problem with lying, not in the slightest, it was the fact she was lying to Keith. She felt bad about it, she might actually like this person, and he was the first person to talk to her in nearly seven years and here she was back to her old tricks. Well she would have to keep it up for now, there was no way he could ever find out her real job. "Thanks. She muttered, lowering her head, pretending to be embarrassed.

She listened to Keith talk, she quickly lifted her head and tucked a few loose curls behind her ear, "Oh Keith, that's great news." she gushed. "Congratulations." she repeated, with a wide smile on her face. Lifting her wine glass she tilted it towards Keith's, "To new beginnings." She said.

Keith found Avory completely gorgeous as she ducked her head, he just couldnt tear his eyes away and he most definatly couldnt wipe off his smile. She was just too cute, he seemed to have fallen for her much faster than he usually would anyone else.

He nodded his head slightly when she said congratulations and he raised his own glass in a toast. "To new beginnings." He repeated, clinking his glass with hers gently before taking a small sip. His eyes intense on her features. Maybe this really was a new beginning... for both of them. As he pulled the glass away from his lips the house elves began bringing the meal in. There was a wide variety of things being placed on the table, but they all associated with a classic English Roast.

Avory continued to grin as the two glasses clinked together like the bell ringing, signaling a new round, a second chance at life? Avory took a sip of her wine also, her eyes locked on Keith. As soon as she set her glass on the table the house elves appeared with the meal. It all looked so good and smelled delicious. "Wow Keith, you went all out. This looks amazing." she gushed. "I hope you didn't go to all this bother on my accord?" she said trying to be modest, but she was truly loving all the attention. Old habits die hard.

"Well-" Keith said with a small eye roll. "I'd like to say I made all of it. But I only made about three quarters." He admitted, knowing some of the smaller dishes he had been assisted by the house elves. "Did I not mention that I have no life when we first met?" He chuckled lightly. "Besides, I think your worth the bother." He admitted with a smile, setting his eyes on her for a short time before pulling them away and waving his hand. "Well, dig in." He said, cheerful once more. He piled some roast beef, mashed potatoes and some vegetables on his plate along with a few other bits and peices and poured gravy of the top. He then flashed Avory another smile. He couldnt believe his luck.

Avory listened to Keith's confession, she laughed lightly, "Still three quarters is pretty impressive." She said with a sweet smile, taking her gaze from the feast laid before her back to Keith. "No you never mentioned that." she said with a laugh. "Good to know though." she addded.

When Keith said to dig in, Avory returned her gaze back to food, where to a start? Taking a few spoonfuls of the veg and spuds, a few slices of roast beef, stuffing and plenty of gravy, she began to eat. After a few mouths she took a break to take a sip of her wine, "Everything is great." She commented before returning back to her food, hoping she wasn't making a gorge of herself.

Keith laughed lightly at her comments, simply enjoying her company. He dug his fork into his meal and began to eat. He had to admit it was good and he couldnt remember the last time he had made a large meal like this. He usually never bothered when it was just himself, occationally he would make an effort when Taylor and Jessica came over, but apart from that, he usually just prepared simple things.

After a few minutes Avory complimented the meal and he said a small, "Thankyou." And took a sip of his own wine as well. He tucked back into the meal and after a moment, he looked up at Avory, "So, is there anything you have in mind for your future?" He asked, wondering if she was just taking life as it came, or if she had an ultimate goal she wanted to achieve.

Avory continued to eat her meal, it had been so long since she had a proper meal, normally it would just be her by herself or she would occassionally eat out, but she usually liked to keep a low profile.

When Keith asked Avory what she had in mind for the future she set down he knife and fork and took a sip of her wine. It was something she had thought about many times, but not so much of recent. Due to the fact that her lifes goal, to become a Death Eater had been reached. "Um I'm not sure to be honest." she said with a light laugh. "What every girl wants I suppose, a family of my own is the main thing," wow where did that come from, I haven't thought about that in years she said to herself, "But I'm in no rush. What about you?" she asked.

Keith nodded taking another slow sip of his wine. A family is what he wanted and he had that now. He had already settled down and he didnt think marriage was for him again. He wouldnt mind a steady relationship though, but he couldnt tell Avory that, he didnt want to scare her off. Or maybe it wouldnt? Keith couldnt be sure, so he decided to keep quiet about it. It was only their first proper date after all. "I dont really give much thought to the future. I like to stick in the present." He admitted and he could safely say it was the truth. He preferred to live in the moment.

Avory listened to Keith say that he didn't really give much thought to the future, she didn't have much point to look to the future now anyway. Mainly because her lives dream was fulfilled and she was only 25 for crying out loud, she still had plenty of time to worry about the future. "Yeah that's a good idea. Spur of the moment type things are always the best." she said with a light laugh. "What about the past?" she asked, "Everything think about things you would do differently?" she said, wondering if the question would contradict, living in the moment or would he amuse her?

Keith smiled at Avory and took another sip of his wine. "Good question." He said and in truth he had to think about it for a moment. "Not sure. I would say not get married so young, but I adore my children and if I hadnt have got married I wouldnt have had them." He said thoughtfully. "What about you?" He asked in return, curious. He then realised he didnt actually know how old Avory truly was, but it wasnt a question that mattered. He could save it for later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back