Coming Home For Christmas

Isolde Glasson

OOC First Name
Camilla!
Wand
Ash Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Hair from the Tail of a Male Unicorn
Isolde was drained, exhausted, and under the weather as usual, but it was Christmas Eve, and as it was Christmas Eve, she needed to make herself feel better. Christobelle and Wallace had been sent home for some reason or another, and so Isolde was alone on Christmas night.
Pouring herself a glass of muggle wine, Isolde sat in the windowsill of the small apartment and looked out to the street, with a sigh. Christmas alone. Normally, she would have gone home to Cornwall, but her parents were off travelling the world, and her brother had enough to deal with with his own family. His wife was about six months pregnant, and Isolde didn't want to be the spinster sister, invading on their family time.
So here she was, lounging around her house in shorts and a t-shirt, glass of white wine in her hand as she contemplated re-watching some old Christmas movies, for the sake of it. I wonder if Chris is around...
Shaking her head, Isolde took a sip of wine. He won't be. He'll be with his family in Ireland, or even if he's not there, he'll be too busy spending time with his family, so I'd better not bug him. With a sigh, Isolde slumped down on the couch, contemplating ordering in a pizza, or even just going to bed. Christmas. How miserable.

Christmas, a time of year Christopher loved since as long as he could remember. Even now, newly 27, he loved it - he was really a big child at heart. But this year, no matter how hard his family tried, Christmas was too hard for the family to cope with. Everything was still going as normal, the decorations were up, the smell of turkey filled the house, it was bliss. But early on Christmas Eve Chris found himself alone at the house. His parents had left to do some last minute shopping; Patricia was at a friends house exchanging presents and Joe.... After a spot of tidying after his family bombarded the house and made attempts to cheer them up he found himself bored.

Opening one of the bottles of sparkling wine set aside of tomorrow Chris stopped himself as he was about to pour himself a glass. Not having much time to himself recently he hadn't been able to let his thoughts wander, but now with some peace and quiet he found himself thinking of Isolde. Checking the time he saw it was still a perfectly reasonable time to drop her a visit. It had really been too long since he had been in contact with her and they had much to catch up on. Grabbing a bag he put a few bottles of the sparkling wine into it along with some turkey sandwiches and other bits and pieces his mother always made too much of around Christmas time.

After the familiar, yet still uncomfortable floo trip to New Zealand, Chris made his way outside. Stopping in his tracks he let out a few breaths, he had forgotten about how warm it was during winter in New Zealand. His scarf, gloves and long coat was too much for him. Not finding a suitable enough place to set down his bag of goodies he simply continued of to Isolde's place, hoping he remember the number correctly. After walking for a few minutes Christopher found the place he was looking for. With a few knocks on the door he hoped Isolde was indeed in, and if so that she would be quick or else he would surely pass out with heat.

As Isolde reposed on her sofa, draining her glass, she heard a knock on the door. Taking off her glasses and placing them on the table - she had picked up her battered copy of Pride and Prejudice, and was reading it for about the fiftieth time - she jumped up and stumbled to the door, stopping briefly to pull down her shirt and shorts, and run her fingers through her somewhat messy hair. She opened the door, curiously - who would be visiting on Christmas Eve? Maybe it was just someone collecting - to find herself face to face with Chris, well and truly overdressed for New Zealand summer. "Hello, stranger," Isolde said, sweetly. "Come in, come in," she said, moving aside to allow him in. Luckily, she hadn't been home very long so the place wasn't extremely messy, though it could have been a lot neater. "Somebody forgot what summer here is like," she giggled. "Have a seat, can I get you a drink or something?"

Christopher grinned as he saw the door open and Isolde appear from behind it, well who else would it be? "Hello yourself." he said happily, a bit sad about being called a stranger, he had missed Isolde in his brief absence while trying to sort out family problems, but he was here now and was going to make up for that. Entering her house Christopher looked around, "Not too shabby." he said with a laugh as he set his bag down.

Hearing her comment Christopher glared lightly at her, "Not funny." he said, unable to hide a chuckle behind his words. "Well you wouldn't last two seconds back in Ireland." he said with a alugh while taking off his un-necessary layers. When Isolde offered him a drink he pulled out one of the bottles of sparkling wine, "Have you got the bottle opener and glasses?" he asked with a tiny smirk.

Isolde giggled, feeling much happier about her Christmas now that Christopher was here. "I sure do," she replied, pulling out a couple of glasses and a bottle opener. It was a house of two witches and a wizard, yet the three of them mostly did things the muggle way. It was just what they'd been brought up with and what they were used to. Beaming, she moved back over to the couch and sat down, a little more gracefully.

"So, what brings you over to New Zealand on this fine Christmas Eve?" Isolde drawled, not maliciously. "How's the family, by the way?" she added. The question could have been seen as a formality, but in this case, Isolde was genuinely concerned. There was a lot going on in that family, and Isolde wanted to make sure that they were okay.

Christopher grinned as Isolde made her way to fetch the glasses and bottle opener. Christopher took a seat and started to take out a few of the sandwiches and other holiday treats, mince pies and pie chocolate gateaux - his mothers speciality. When Isolde sat down beside him he lifted the bottle opener in one hand the bottle of sparkling wine in another. After a loud POP he poured the wine into the glasses. As he did this he answered her questions, "The house got quiet all of a sudden and I got a bit lonely. You were the first person I thought off." he said with a smile as he looked up at her, passing her a glass of wine.

Taking a sip of his drink he sat back on the couch, it felt good to just relax with Isolde, a friend - a great friend, and not family. Family seemed to try too hard around them now-a-days, and while he appreciated it he just needed someone to be himself around and not pretend that he was fine with everything - he was coping but he was still sad about everything that happened. "The family are....we're getting there." he said with a sigh. "Still a bit hard at times, especially with tomorrow and everything." he said with a shrug.

Isolde couldn't help but shake her head when she noticed the spread Chris had provided. "Wow. Now it feels a little more like Christmas," she stated, beaming. She'd set up a tree in the corner, for the sake of it, but apart from that the apartment looked pretty much the same as always. If she was going to be spending Christmas by herself, why make a big deal of it? All she would end up doing would be to put on some old muggle movies and scoff some chocolates. Yes, Isolde did like Christmas. But when celebrating alone, the excitement was pretty much gone. "Aw, I'm flattered," she added with a grin, as she happily took the glass from Christopher and settled back on the couch, taking a sip.

It was a shame, however, to hear that the Rogers family wasn't coping too well. "I am sorry to hear that," Isolde said, truthfully. "Kind of makes me glad my family's dispersed around the globe," she mused. "Right now, I believe my parents are flying from India to Canada, for Christmas in the snow. And my brother's probably getting ready for a big day with the in-laws - and dealing with my hyperactive five year old nephew." She shook her head again, and took another sip of wine. "But I hope things get better for you and the family. How's your teaching going, by the way?"

Chris smiled as Isolde seemed to approve of the randome pieces of food that he started to lay on her table. "Glad to be of a serivce. But, yeah mum always goes all out at Christmas...even this year." He was actually surprised at how much his mother had cooked, although he figured it was just to keep her busy and try not to think about everything so much. Taking a sip of his drink and lifting on of the sandwiches Christopher rested against the bck of the couch, hoping Isolde wouldn't mind himself getting comfortable but he just felt so relaxed around Isolde and he hadn't had felt like this in a few weeks. Watching Isolde sit back too Christopher smiled at her responce, "So you should be." he said with an attempt at a 'flirty' wink.

Christopher nodded lightly at Isolde's words, he didn't want to remain on that conversation too much longer. It was hard enough for him but he knew it would be awkward for Isolde to talk about it, or even listen to him talk about it. He didn't want to push his only friend away. Christopher sipped on his sparkling wine and nibbled on a few sandwiches as he listened to Isolde talk about her family, and lack of them. There was times Christopher wished his parents would go away for a bit, they did but never as far as India or Canada, but not around Christmas that's too important in his family. "And they leave you here all alone. Tut tut." he said shaking his head disapprovingly - being playful though.

"Thank you." he said sincerely as Isolde hoped things better for the family. With everything that had been going on he hadn't had much change to evaulate his first sememster but he continued, "Teaching is going great. I'm really loving it. I mean the work sucks and you can get some really hard children but apart from that I'm doing what I love. It's great!" he rambled. "How was your first semester as the Arirathmancy Professor?" He wasn't sure how to pronounce it that word but he was sure it got as close to it as possible.

Isolde nodded, with a small smile, as she took a sandwich and took a dainty bite. Delicious, of course. And to think she was going to order a pizza or something. His mum had obviously made a big effort, despite all that was going on in their family life. It was impressive.

She shrugged at his next comment. "Oh, I don't mind being left alone. My cousins moved in here recently, but they got summoned home to London so it really is me alone this Christmas, but hey, visitors are always welcome," she grinned. "I'm very glad you came over, I was about to pull out some old movies and cry in to the couch," Isolde admitted, a little embarassed. "Which would not have been an attractive sight."

Isolde was very glad that Christopher seemed to be enjoying his teaching, even with how hard it could be at times. It was what he loved, and when you loved to do something, even if it kind of sucked, it was wonderful. "It was...alright," Isolde said, sheepishly. "I'm not as confident teaching it as I was teaching History, yet. It's a lot less straightforward and the notes I was left by the old teacher were very difficult. But I really do like it," she explained. "Next term I'll be more in to the swing of things and it'll all be great," she added, hurriedly - almost as more reassurance for herself than for Christopher.

Christopher listened to Isolde as she explained how she didn't mind being left alone, it was something unusual for Christopher to experience. Every Christmas since he could remember he had been surrounded by people, family, friends, the whole shabang. But maybe that was just him, everyone had their own ways of doing things, perhaps that's just how Isolde liked to do Christmas. Christopher let out a light chuckle as she commented on visitors. "I'm glad I came. Even if only to save you from watching some soppy Christmas movies." he added playfully. When Isolde said how it wouldn't have been an attractive sight Christopher couldn't think of how Isolde could look unattractive, it didn't really seem possible. Where did that come from? He thought to himself, trying to get back into the conversation.

"I'm sure you did perfectly fine." Christopher said sincerely, he was sure Isolde could do what ever she put her mind too. The fact she still had the job after one semester must of meant she was doing a good job of it. "Yeah by next semester you'll be a pro. And I'll be able to know because I believe you'll be teaching Patricia?" He asked just to be sure. He had tried to get his sister to talk about school and other things to keep her mind and everyone else's off the fact Joseph wasn't there.

Pulling her knees up to her chest, Isolde rested her feet on the couch, quite comfortable. Normally, in anyone else's company, she wouldn't have been so informal, so relaxed. Of course, she probably would have been advised beforehand of the company and be better attired for the occaision. Isolde didn't care, though, Christopher was a welcome vistor, and Isolde felt so relaxed and comfortable around him, and while the twenty-nine year old was a fairly laid-back sort, this was almost ridiculous. "Shall I call you my knight in shining armour, then?" she teased, flirtatiously. Maybe it's the alcohol, she pondered, contemplating her previous statement. She liked Christopher, that was for sure, but to be so flirtatious? It's Christmas. Christmas, wine...good spirits. I hope I don't scare him.

She grinned at his next statement. "Oh, I do hope so. Indeed, I'm teaching her next semester. I...um...I hope she doesn't mind the fact that it's me teaching her...you know, considering we're friends and all," Isolde admitted, a little sheepishly. "At least if she complains and acts up I can go straight to you about it," she added, cackling with mirth. Of course, Patricia wouldn't do something of the sort, nor would Isolde exercise such techniques of blackmail. But it was fun to joke.

Christopher felt his muscles relaxing; they had been so tense recently he almost had forgotten how to do it. Feeling more relaxed now he watched as Isolde herself got relaxed. He enjoyed the fact of how the two were able to be so relaxed in each others company, but that’s what friends did right? Laughing at Isolde’s comment he responded by taking her hand and brushing his lips on it softly, “I’d gladly rescue you anytime.” he knew his way of acting around Isolde but he couldn’t help himself. Letting her hand fall gently back to its resting position he looked up into her face, a smile never leaving his features.

Christopher sipped more on his wine, filling up his own and Isolde’s glass when he saw fit – which was turning out to be a bit. He listened to his friends concerns about his sister, her student. It was indeed a slightly awkward situation, but he and Isolde were just friends after all, nothing more nothing less, so Patricia wouldn’t mind…much. Well knowing his sister she was already slightly ticked off with her brother and Professor being friendly but she hadn’t shown that expression in a while. “Don’t worry about Patricia.” he said, trying to be as comforting as possible. “There very well isn’t much we can do about it now any way.” he added with a laugh. Christopher laughed at Isolde’s comment, “If anything does come up you know you can contact me about it, even if Patricia isn’t acting up still sent me an owl every so often. As much as I enjoy our long catch ups I would rather see you much more regularly.” he said sincerely, hoping he wasn’t be too forward or anything.

A blush rose in Isolde's cheeks as Christopher gently kissed her hand. Maybe it really was the alcohol, but her heart seemed to flutter, in a manner of speaking, when he did that. Of course, he was kind, friendly, and handsome, so how could she help herself? But he's just your friend, just your friend, just your...oh God, he's gorgeous. Wait, shut up! She very nearly slapped herself in order to stop her mind wandering, although that would have just been awkward to explain, so she resisted. Though - and this could have definately been attributed to the alcohol, Isolde reasoned - it was taking a lot more strength of mind to resist doing something completely stupid. She made sure to eat as much as she was drinking to soften the effects of the alcohol. Although, she mused, her mind was mostly sober. And it was beginning to ponder. Could she say she had a crush on him? She was twenty-nine and a teacher, so perhaps not. After seventeen, or at least after school, it wasn't really considered the proper thing to say. Perhaps it was more that she felt attracted to him. That sounded like the right word. But what difference did words make? Shut up, she told her brain, glad she didn't accidentally say that out loud. It was Christmas Eve, she was supposed to be relaxing and enjoying herself. For the most part she was, but that bit of her mind...

"She'll come around, I suppose. And of course I will," she added, with a grin. "Only got a couple of classes next semester anyway, so if you have some free time and want to catch up, I can definately make some time to do so," Isolde explained, perhaps a little too eagerly, but she hoped he wouldn't notice that in the tone of her voice. Oh please, God, don't let him weird out on me and my odd behaviour, she silently prayed, hoping she was behaving normally for the most part.

Christopher couldn’t help but think how lovely Isolde looked when she blushed, heck even when she’s not blushing he internally added to himself. His eyes rested on her delicate features, with a soft smile on his own. As words were exchanged, along with the odd silence due to drinking, he couldn’t take his eyes off of her, she truly was beautiful but Chris has to keep reminding himself that Isolde was just a friend. Yes just friends, friends don’t think of friends like that he thought to himself, trying to fight with his conscious. He of course knew it was right and on top of this she was Patricia’s teacher, he knew he had to be careful around Isolde, much to his displeasure, in case he jeopardised his sister’s education.

Christopher nodded at his friends remark, Patricia was a smart girl, and mature for her age, she couldn’t hold it against him, so what if he and Isolde were friends, that’s all they would ever, could ever be. He smiled broadly as she explained her timetable for the next semester, it worked out perfectly with his own, just need to sort out those time differences now he thought, slightly ticked off about the fact that they both lived at different parts of the world, but they had worked well enough against them so far, he was sure it could still work. “Brilliant!” he exclaimed with happiness clear on his expression. Letting a small silence fall over the two friends Christopher became aware of the lack of noise, “Music!” He exclaimed, “It’s not Christmas without music.” he added with a laugh. “Got anything good?” he asked.

Isolde was very pleased that Christopher seemed to react so well to her statement, in fact he seemed just as eager as she was. Although for totally different reasons, she reminded herself, sadly. He'll never see you as more than a friend, so just don't. Their eyes met, and Isolde was acutely aware of the awkward seconds that passed, until thankfully Christopher managed to avert that crisis. "Oh, yes, I'm sure there's some Christmas music in the CD drawer," Isolde muttered, looking over at the CD player. "Why...why don't you have a look and pick something?" she offered, beaming at Christopher. "It's an odd variety of music, but there's bound to be something you'll like...hopefully." Making her way back to the table, Isolde discreetly grabbed her wand out from behind the pillow on the couch and muttered a couple of odd phrases, conjuring up a few more decorations around the place.

((sorry for the lameness and the cop-out ahahaha.))

:p I'll forgive you ^_^ ....this time :r: :p

Christopher nodded as Isolde suggested her go get some music from the CD drawer. Getting up from his seat he took a second to get his balance, the drink couldn't have been effecting him that badly already. Opening up the drawer he started to flick through Isolde's collection of Christmas songs. "Oh you do have a good collection." he commented as he continued to look though. He wasn't sure what to choose, there was a lot to choose from. After a few minutes he finally decided on one, lifting it out of the drawer he placed the disc into the CD Palyer, glad that it was muggle style and not wizarding style. "Want to dance?" he asked, waiting for her to get up before pressing play on the music. He found the song ironic in a way, but he hoped Isolde wouldn't be weirded out by it, but he figured the thoughts wouldn't cross her mind so she would have no reason to think anything different of the song.

Nearly spluttering at the choice of music - but keeping herself composed - she accepted his offer to dance quite eagerly, but adding "it's been nearly forever and a day since I last danced, forgive me." Awkwardly, stiffly, she began to move in time with the music - until slowly loosening up and beginning to move with her dance partner and with the rhythm of the song. It didn't take very long for Isolde to realise she was quite enjoying herself - of course, she'd been enjoying being in Christopher's company all night, so why should dancing with him be any different? She had to suppress a blush at the lyrics of the song, but she stayed composed.
Until she realised what they were standing under. Subconsicously, she'd enchanted mistletoe to appear as well as garlands and a wreath. And without thinking, she leaned forward and pressed her lips to his, enjoying the feeling for that brief moment until her brain kicked in. What the hell are you doing? Yes you like him, yes it's Christmas, but you can't go doing that! she told herself, panicking. Oh God, oh God, this isn't going to go well. Horrified, she broke apart and stepped back, beetroot red and embarassed. "Oh, um, I, well, you see, there was mistletoe," she explained lamely, pointing up. "And, you know, well I, that is to say...we...we can just forget that ever happened, if you want, I mean..." she broke off, with the horrible sinking feeling that she'd just ruined a good friendship.

Christopher couldn't help but grin as he held Isolde, the two bodies moving to the rhythm, not perfectly but still moving. "Don't worry, you're perfect." he said, only realising how his words could be taken after it was too late. Even though he was speaking the truth he didn't want Isolde to know that. Getting into the dance, Christopher began to laugh for the simple reason that he was enjoying himself, very much so. Christopher enjoyed looking down at Isolde every few seconds, stealing the odd glance into her beautiful eyes.

During one certain glance Christopher felt the distance between himself and Isolde closing and after a few seconds he felt Isolde's lips on his. Christopher felt his heart race, What was happening? Is this allowed? Ack who cares? He thought to himself as he sunk into the kiss more deeply, enjoying it. Almost as soon as he deepened into the kiss he felt Isolde break away, staring at her through wide eyes at what just happened, Why did she break away? he wondered, Was she not enjoying it? Chris wondered if he had maybe done the wrong thing with deepening the kiss.

Looking up he saw the familiar green and white plant of mistletoe, his heart sank, she had only done it because of a stupid tradition. he realised. Christopher felt his neck getting warmer and warmer with embarrassment. Isolde really seemed to have regretted initiating the kiss but... He had to do it again. Looking back down to her he raised his hand under her chin and raised it slightly. Lowering his head he placed his lips on hers once again, not wasting any time before sinking into the kiss, enjoying it much more the second time round, even if he did push Isolde away by doing it.

Isolde very much regretted breaking away as awkwardly as she did. Christopher had seemed to be enjoying the kiss - heck, he'd even deepened it. Oh cr@p, I'm an idiot, she told herself, depressed and humilated. If she hadn't ruined things by kissing him, she'd certainly ruined things by breaking away. Worst. Christmas. Ever. About to explain again, she found herself cut off by Christopher's lips claiming hers again. Okay, maybe not, she reasoned, happily enjoying the kiss. Had she been wrong? Had it been a good idea after all? Oh, what did it matter?

As they finally broke apart, Isolde felt her lips curling in to a smile. Things seemed to have worked out alright after all. "Merry Christmas, Christopher," Isolde stated, coyly.

Even in the deep kiss Christopher couldn't help but feel a smile on his lips. How could he not smile, he was kissing Isolde one of the most amazing women he ever met. It was certainly turning out to be a much better Christmas than he could have possibly imagined. He frowned only slightly when they broke away again, but this time he felt much more relaxed with Isolde so close to him. Taking his hand off her chin he stroked her cheek gently, cupping her soft cheek. "And a Merry Christmas to you Isolde." he said, unable to resist brushing his lips against her own again. "I really like you Isolde." he said, wanting to get it off his chest. He had known it for a while now but for being a smart person he was too dumb enough to notice it.

Beaming at Christopher's words, Isolde met his eyes, almost unable to believe what she had just heard. But hadn't the kiss proven it? It was good enough evidence for her. "I really like you too," she admitted, shyly, as though she was a first or second year telling her classmate the exact same thing. She kissed him again, finding the resistances that she had built up over the evening shattering in to the ground - not that she minded at all. It was good to finally have this out in the open, and it was wonderful that everything had gone so well. "Well, might I say I am extremely glad you decided to come and pay me a visit this evening," Isolde chuckled, wrapping her arms around Christopher in a warm embrace. She wasn't sure what was going to happen between them next, where they would go from here. But that didn't really matter at the moment. Isolde was just happy to be with him now.

Christopher's grin widened even moreso, if that was even possible, as Isolde returned his feelings - he hadn't known a time where he had been so happy. He returned her kiss once more, growing to need her more and more with each time. Breaking apart he felt Isoldes arms wrap around him, he brought his arms up from his side and put them around her waist, pulling her even closer to him. Letting a light chuckle escape his lips he nodded, "I couldn't agree more. It really is the most wonderful time of year." he said, slightly cringing at his own 'cheesey-ness' but he didn't mind an awful lot, at least he was being truthful. Resting his forehead on Isoldes lightly he smiled fondly, letting the slience envelope them, with the music playing softly in the background he let the two just sway, peacefully.

In the slience Christopher wondered what to say next, ideally he would just say nothing but he knew there was somethings that needed to be cleared up first, mainly where they stood. Of course he would love nothing more than to call Isolde his, but she was teacher in his sisters school, was it even allowed? "Um...Us?" he asked, immediately wishing he hadn't opened his mouth. "This I mean, do you think we should just keep to ourselves.....for now. Patricia is only really getting used to the idea of us beinging friends, she might not take to kindly to..well this." he said with an awkward laugh. He loved his sister dearly but at moments like this he could strangle her, for she was really the only thing keeping him from asking Isolde to be his girlfriend here and now.

Isolde could quite happily ignore the cheesiness of the line he gave as she gently swayed to the music, her arms still around Christopher. Of course, what was brought up next was something that she did actually feel she needed to consider, as much as she would have preferred to simply stay in the moment. "Um," she began, pondering. They couldn't really go out and be a proper couple. Not yet, anyway. As much as Isolde would have loved to. "Yeah, it's probably for the best that we do that." She wasn't sure how his family would react. Particuarly Patricia, who she had to deal with at Hogwarts. Perhaps it wasn't exactly the right thing to do, to date a student's brother.
But that didn't mean she didn't want to. Far from it. The only problem was, she had to be sensible. And as much as she would have happily said 'to hell with good sense', she knew that she had to do the right thing. In a while, yes, they'd be able to have a proper relationship. At least, so Isolde hoped. But for now, it was best to keep things to themselves. "For now," she added, as a promise.

Christopher waited patiently for Isolde to answer his question. He knew they were put in an awkward situation but would Isolde be up for what he was asking of her, it really was a lot. He knew it wasn't really fair to ask her to want to keep their relationship a secret and he would understand if she didn't want to bother with the difficulty of the whole thing - he just hoped she would be up for the challenge. Listening to her words Christopher breathed a sigh of relief, brushing her lips softly again he said, "Thank you. You don't know how much it means to me." he said happily. "Yes..for now. I promise Patricia will come round soon, I'll make sure of it." he said with a sly grin, laughing lightly. He lowered his head claiming Isolde's lips once again, this time lingering, not wanting to leave her afterall he had just found her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back