Open Climbing & Cheering

Harper considered banking, but really he was more interested in money. He wanted to earn it himself. When the boy asked about their dad, he could tell Elizabeth instantly became uncomfortable. She started to speak, but then looked at the ground. Harper felt the need to protect his sister but didn't understand lying about his dad. "He died." He blurted out before he could think of something better to say. "Last year," Harper added quietly.

Kas could immediately sensed he'd said something wrong watching Elizabeth's face. He couldn't image what, considering how highly she seemed to think of her dad, but maybe he'd lost his job in disgrace or something and it was a sensitive subject. He had to hiss through his teeth when her brother mentioned he'd actually died. He wouldn't have guessed from the way Elizabeth was talking that their dad was dead, but Kas supposed he hadn't really ever met anyone who'd had their dad die so he wasn't really sure how you were supposed to talk about it. At least Kas had been write about the sensitive subject part. "Oh, uh, oops. Sorry for your loss?" He said awkwardly, glancing around the playground for something else to talk about. "Well, if you'd actually died falling off the playground earlier at least it would have been kind of ironic.." He joked, his eyes falling back on the rope tower Elizabeth had been climbing. It was dark, but Kas really didn't know what to say.

Elizabeth shifted uncomfortably. She didn't really know how to respond to either thing and she just scratched her arm a little bit. The boy didn't seem to know what to say and his apology was sufficient. "My name is Elizabeth by the way." She was hoping the subject would just drop and they could move past it. "I don't go by Liz or anything like that. At least not yet anyway." Elizabeth hoped she would get a cool nickname one day.

Harper followed the boys gaze to the ropes that she had climbed. If she would've gotten hurt it would upset their mother anymore. "Ironic that it gave our mom that same hurt." He looked at his sister, sensing her discomfort and wanting nothing more to protect her. She often hid her feelings and this time it was behind an introduction. Harper nodded, "I'm Harper."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back