Catching up with an old friend

Chase Blade

OOC First Name
Zach
Wand
Yew Wand 13 1/2" Essence of Phoenix Feather
Chase walked through the dusty streets of Brightstone Village, wondering what he would do out here today, he had been hoping to meet Artemis along here sometime, but all he had found was Eden, not that he would complain about that. Chase knew that something had happened to Jareth, but he hoped that she wouldn't have stayed inside all day. Chase sighed softly, and knew that she would have to stop searching for the time being sometime soon.

Chase walked over to a tree, and sat down at the base, wondering what everybody was doing up at the castle, he missed being able to walk through the castle, but he knew he wouldn't be allowed in there again now that he was a Death Eater, unless he was with other Death Eaters, but if it did come to that it might as well be slaughter. Chase looked around and wondered what there was to do, he heard a lot of different people around, but he didn't see anybody he recognised.

Chase rested his head on the tree base, trying to concentrate on everything around him, not entirely sure what he would do if he had to spend the day here on his own, he hoped it didn't come to that though. Chase knew that there had to be somebody he knew around he somewhere.

Ghosting her way through the street, Artemis kicked up a stone and began nudging it along as she walked. No one paid her the slightest bit of attention which she was rather grateful for, since her mind was occupied with gloomier things than they. How long had it been since Jareth had passed on? Art had no idea, and nor did she want to know. It was like counting down the days till her own death, with every day ahead of her being spent without him. Though despite what everyone thought, her friends were helping her get through the days. Without Shalamar, Lucy and Landon, she would have spent the last few weeks in bed and would have probably died from starvation by now. They kept her plodding to classes, nibbling breakfast and sometimes, sometimes going out into the sunshine. The only reason that Art had gone out today was in hope of finding Chase, a friend that she hadn't seen in what seemed like a year. In actual fact, it was probably around half a year, but half a year eternity for a fifteen year old.

Moving over towards the parkland, Artemis looked up and continued walking, not paying too much attention as to where she was going. It was for that reason that she did not see a person lying beneath the nearby tree. Art fell flat on her face, collapsing on top of them. She shrieked instinctively which turned into a squeal of delight as she found she was lying on Chase, the very person she'd been looking for. Wrapping her arms around his waist, Artemis shouted "Chase! Hi! Hi hi, hi!" and squeezed the breath out of him in a hug.

Chase started reaching for his wand when he felt somebody land on top of top of him, he didn't want to have to fight anybody today, it was supposed to be Chase's day for relaxation, and spending some time with his friends. Chase was naturally delighted to learn that it was Artemis who had landed ontop of him, but he was not excited to learn that she would start choking him the second she realised it was him, "Art, Art, Art!" Chase managed to choke out, "B-b-breathing is e-e-essential for my survival!" Chase said, finally managing to pry her off and pulling her into a hug of his own, knowing that she would have been as happy to see him as he was to see her. Chase wondered what she had been doing in Brightstone, but his mission here today was to find her and to spend some time with her as he hadn't done it in ages, he was just glad that they had been able to end the school year on good terms.

Chase was glad to see her here, and he would make sure that he could spend the day with her, "Well, now that that's over with. How are you!? I haven't seen you in ages." Chase said, feeling it was best that he didn't mention Jareth just yet, and that if he did she would probably just get sad, and she would be terrible company. Chase was happy as anything to be able to see his best friend again, and he was glad to be able to put his Death Eater business away for a day, especially after the business with Maddiie.

Artemis let out a peal of laughter as Chase struggled to get out of her choke hold long enough to hug her back. She was positively delighted to see him again, and buried her head into his chest for a moment to soak up the 'friend-ness'. After all this time, she wondered what on earth he had been up to. Little did she know that a lot had changed since she had last seen Chase, and finding out was not going to be one of the most pleasant experiences. Whether she would find out or not was yet to be seen. She proceeded to ruffle his hair energetically and giggle, but she laid off eventually and sat back to grin at him. "I'm alright," she lied in response to his question. "How long has it been? Must be over six months, I'd bet my hat on it." said Artemis, tweaking her non-existent hat. Frowning, she patted her head and glanced around for where her hat had gone. Moments later, she retrieved it from where it was squashed behind Chase's back. Looking sheepish, Art pulled the rumpled straw hat back onto her head.

"How is Eden?" she asked as she seated herself on the moss at Chase' feet. Sure, she saw her in a class or two but she didn't really pay attention and figured that her fiance would know better than she how she was going. It reminded her of her own fiance and her stomach rolled and turned sour in the memory of his face. Things would be fine if Jareth was still there. Everything was always fine when he was around. She couldn't do anything without being reminded of him, and it made her ill with pain every time.

Chase smiled at Artemis, and rolled his eyes as she ruffled his hair, he was glad to see her, and he could see she was glad to see him, if she wasn't, he was horrible at reading signs. Chase would never tell her that he had become a Death Eater, it would be bad for their friendship, and she would probably try and kill him herself, and he did not want to have to hurt Artemis, she was like a little sister to him, and he could never hurt his own family. Well, I guess I could kill Alex, that wouldn't be all that hard. Chase thought, his lips curling up into a smile. Chase heard the tone of her voice when she told him she was alright, he already knew that wouldn't have been true though. Chase laughed, "I'd say it has been, I've been incredibly busy, so I never got around to visiting you." Chase said, chuckling, he wouldn't have to tell her exactly what he had been doing.

Chase heard her ask about Eden, and sighed a little, "Oh, Eden's great." Chase said, chuckling, "You would see her more then I would though. Considering I can only see her during Brightstone Weekends and holidays." Chase said, sighing slightly. Chase saw her change expressions, and her mood change so quickly, "Arty, what's wrong?" Chase asked, even though he probably already know what she had been reminded of.

"Aye, I know," replied Artemis as she smiled at Chase softly. She didn't mind not seeing him twenty-four seven since she spent a lot of time alone anyway, but it was good that he was keeping active with ... whatever was keeping him active, because it was better than him sitting around and moping after his fiance and friends still at Hogwarts. It was only a few more years till Artemis herself could leave, and then she was free to see him as much as she wanted; so long as he still wanted to see her. Art was beginning to doubt that anyone would want to see her now, since she was nothing more than emotional baggage to everyone. This wasn't true, but she thought it was. "It's alright though, school keeps me busy." she told Chase, her small smile fading into the permanent pale sadness of her features these last few weeks. She looked like death, and she knew it. Her ears were drooping all the time and she had tiny circles under her eyes as if she hadn't slept for days, which she hadn't. Even her hair was drooping at the tips, for she hadn't bothered doing it up in its usual spiky style. Art was a mess.

"I'm glad that Eden's fine. I ought to pay more attention, but we've never moved in th' same circles." mumbled Artemis. It was as if she had not even thought about her reply. Then Chase asked her what was wrong, and she flopped sideways with her head on Chase' lap. "Ye know," she said, her voice slightly muffled like she was holding back tears. "Jareth passed away earlier this month. I havenae ... I havenae been doing so hot since then. I don't mean tae ... be a downer." said Art, her ears drooping ever more.

Chase sighed slightly, he could tell that something was wrong with her already, and she was only getting worse, Chase knew it had been bad for her, and she couldn't have been all that good at school, he wanted to try and help her. Listen to yourself, you're a Death Eater, you shouldn't be like this! Said a voice in Chase's head, it seemed to have some logic, but he still couldn't help but feel bad for his best friend, he loved her like a sister after all. He didn't know what to think, but sometimes he knew that he just had to ignore those stupid voices in his head. Chase turned to her, and smiled weakly, "I'm so sorry to hear that, Artemis, but, y'know, it's not the end of the world." Chase said, slowly, being careful with the words he chose, he didn't want her to get annoyed at him.

Chase glanced around the area slowly, not entirely sure what he should do next, he wanted her to forget about what was going through her mind, he wanted her to be happy for the time being. Chase inched over to her and pulled her into a hug, wanting her to understand that he would be here for her no matter what happened to her, he was her friend, and he wouldn't do anything to hurt her.. just yet at least. She hadn't given him any reason to do so, she knew nothing about his other life, and he would keep it that way.

'It's not the end of the world.' Oh, yes it is! Artemis wanted to say, but that sounded childish even in her head. No doubt she had probably just made Chase feel very awkward and had ruined what might have been a perfectly lovely chat, but the truth was that it had to come to this point anyway. Some moments had to be shared with your friends whether you wanted to share them, or not. She teared up of course, but it was his kindness that truly floored her as he shuffled over to pull her into a hug. He was so tall and strong that she felt like a child; in some ways, Artemis still was. She sniffed and rested her head against his broad chest, tiny bottom lip trembling with the effort of not crying. It didn't seem right to cry in front of him, for some reason. She had done so before from falling down and hurting herself (numerous times). That was at least partway understandable; Art was very easily wounded. But the seemingly ever-lasting pain of losing Jareth was something she had to learn to control lest it took over her life. She took a minute to compose herself, then lifted her head to give him a large kiss on the cheek in gratitude. "Ye're a fine man, Chase. A real fine man." That was all she had to say; she knew he understood.

But after all the suppressed tears, Art had some energy to burn. She hadn't wrestled with anyone in ages since no one else could keep up with her. All of a sudden, a sly but innocent look slid onto her face. She still had her arms around him, so it was relatively simple to twist Chase around and sit on him. Which she promptly did. Art's knees dug into his thighs and pinned him to the moss as she grabbed his wrists and held them there, too. "Pinned!" she cried happily. But he wouldn't be pinned for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back