Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual
Wand
Curved 14 1/2" Rigid Larch Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
The morning after the last game left a bitter taste in his mouth. Ares was more disappointed about the turn out of the game, he felt damn cheated of a victory. They had been the better team overall in the game, he'd scored three times, Ethan had scored, Austin had scored, they'd hit more of the other team's players, they had been consistent in their playing, even the new keeper who had once again been hit with a bludger had blocked a good number of the other team's shots. The other teams beater had just been unfair. He hated the reliance on the beaters to take out the seeker, and poor April couldn't go through a game without being hit so many times that she was taken out, and they had no one else to fall back on as a seeker. Plenty of alternate beaters, but no alternate seekers. He had been disappointed when none had shown up but he figured that was just the state of the team. He liked his team, they were good, they had worked ridiculously hard over the last few weeks to try to win the game and everything had been in the right place apart from the damn snitch.

Ares was sat at the hufflepuff table with the notes he'd written from the quidditch game, future game plans, they only had one last game and he was determined to win it. He wanted to win it badly, he felt like both he and the team were owed it, but the boy had no idea how they could possibly improve with a young team and when they were already playing very well. He was glad that he didn't have exams at the end of this semester, which would allow him this small break in all the studying to focus on trying to do the last few bits and pieces to improve his team, to try to be a better more cohesive team, but he didn't know how to do that other than just continuing with how they'd been thus far. Ares was also a little worried it would hurt his chances at a team following school, he could obviously play, but would they take into account that despite being captain for three years he couldn't bring one tournament victory, that they'd always been close and just beaten out by the others. Ares hadn't even meant to be captain it had been trust upon him when the other captain had left the school, not graduated but left. Ares had been more content as just a player, a captain held more responsibility than he was happy with, and no matter how hard he tried he just wasn't winning it. Though unlike with the other games, Ares was just annoyed. He was frustrated more than he was upset. They were owed a victory.

The game had ended badly, especially for April. She had been knocked out of the game by three bludgers without that much time between them, and it had definitely hurt her a lot. Thankfully, the staff of the hospital wing was very capable and she was walking around as normal now, but she did still feel a little bruised. She also had to deal with her dad now, who always seemed to be extra over-protective after matches in which she got hurt. Unfortunately, those seemed to be most of her matches. He had insisted she should stay in the hospital wing for a night, just in case. Now she was thankfully out and eager to start her day. She was upset about the loss, but she knew she shouldn't show that to the world. If she walked around as if nothing could hurt her, maybe nothing could.

As she arrived at the Hufflepuff table for breakfast, she noticed Ares sitting by himself. April had heard he had taken over from her as seeker after she left, which meant he probably took the loss very hard too. It was also his final year at the school, so losing twice was probably extra sad because he knew he wouldn't be able to win in the next year. He would have graduated. The thought made her sad, and she quickly sat down next to him. "No need to look so glum. I'm fine, and we're definitely winning the last game of the year. Even if it kills me." She joked, trying her best to seem both optimistic and relaxed about the whole ordeal. "Maybe I should make a shirt that says 'bludger magnet', what do you think?" She grinned at him, then faltered slightly, her grin disappearing. "I'm sorry for not winning... I'm not trying to make light of it. I know I failed the team."

Ares wasn't sure what he expected to gain from all he was starting at, all he was trying to figure out, it was too late to win anything really. They could win the next game, but for him, he needed to try to impart some knowledge upon others and hope that he left the team better. The hufflepuff ran a hand through his hair tiredly. The anger on his mind, made him more tired than anything else, but he could feel it coursing through him. He was surprised when someone sat down next to him, he'd almost told them to go away but when he looked towards them, the words died on his tongue. God, he'd let April down badly. He let her down every time he assured her that this time she wouldn't get taken out, he let the team down when he didn't bring them together properly, he had let his team down when he hadn't caught the snitch. There had been few other options for them, they didn't have an alternate seeker. They had April, and in Ares' mind she was a good seeker constantly put down literally by bludgers. Ares couldn't help the sheepish expression which graced his features as she spoke, he knew he'd let her down.

Ares chuckled lightly at the joke, but his heart wasn't really in it, he did fear that with the way the beaters were with April that they might just accidentally do that, it had happened in the real world, the old gryffindor captain from years before had suffered that exact fate. "It would be a very accurate t-shirt," he agreed pushing his own thoughts down, and trying to react lightly with her. Ares shook his head, "You didn't fail the team, this is on me April. You were amazing, you would've caught the snitch if they hadn't taken you out," Ares opted to assure her, the guilt and frustration over the loss written clearly upon his face, "I let you and the team down, I've been letting all of you down since I became captain," Ares told her, they could get close to winning but it was never enough Ares could never get them over that finish line, and he'd really let them all down now, "All of you, the entire team played so well, never played better and I brought you all down. I should've caught that snitch, I'll make it up to everyone, we'll win the next game," Ares had little confidence in his own words, he didn't think he would be able to win it, he wanted to win it, but with the way things were no matter how good his team became they couldn't win.

April could tell Ares was very sad, and she could understand why. She hated losing, and he must hate it just as much. It must be very difficult to be captain of a team like that, and she couldn't help but feel responsible for the sad expression on his face. Her joke had made him laugh, but he didn't seem all that cheered up by it. "It would, right? And maybe the irony will be that after that I won't be hit as much." She said, shrugging. She frowned slightly when he said it was on him, shaking her head. "Don't blame yourself. You scored like a bazillion points! You did great! I was supposed to get the snitch before I was taken out, not leave it to you to do my job." His words were alarming her, especially when he said he had been letting them down since he became captain. She put a hand on his shoulder. "You're a wonderful captain. You helped us become such good players! Especially me, I was a lot worse when I started." She smiled at that, hoping it would make him smile too. "And who catches the snitch is also largely down to luck. You could have gotten it, but it decided to show up in front of October instead." She hesitated, then hugged him. "You're great. I mean it." She said, squeezing him before pulling back with a shy smile. "And we will kick Slytherin's butt. I don't care how many bludgers hit me, I'm catching that snitch." It made her sad to realize Ares was really leaving at the end of the year. She looked up to him as her captain, and wished he would stay on the team as long as she would. But she knew it didn't work that way.

Ares shook his head, he knew that much in the same way he'd been trying to get April to feel better, she was now trying to get him to feel better, but the honest truth of it all was that he knew it was all on him. He was supposed to control the team, he was supposed to be the won that helped them win. He shook his head, "I should've been paying more attention to the team rather than just throwing the ball through some hoops, there are two other chasers on the team," he replied with a shrug, and he shook his head at what she was saying, he wasn't a good captain, he wasn't cut out for that sort of thing, he just wasn't capable of it. He could play and he could score goals but actually leading a team, managing a team, it had never supposed to be him, and he did resent the older boy who had left the school and left him in charge, there was so much else that Ares had to do and he was barely managing to keep all of it under control.

He chose to push down his own self doubt and his own problems and focus instead on what April finished saying, they would win against slytherin, they could absolutely win against slytherin, they had the better team and it was dumb that they hadn't won against the Ravenclaw team, "Yeah we will, we absolutely will," the captain said nodding, he knew they could win it, he was certain of their ability to, so there was absolutely no reason why they wouldn't. "I'll be sad to say goodbye to the team by the end, been really nice training and building it up," Ares was truthful in what he said, he didn't like being captain but he liked everything else about the people he spent the time with. "Maybe if you choose to play after school we'll face against each other," Ares had no idea if april would opt to play after school, but he was certain that by that point she'd be one of the best players.

April frowned at Ares' words, the way he dismissed himself. "Stop it." She said, shaking her head wildly. "You're not just another chaser. You were the best chaser on that field right then! You were the reason we scored fifty points, something which now gives us a head start against Slytherin. I love Geo and Ethan but you're better than them because you've been doing it longer! You were doing an excellent job, and one Ravenclaw couldn't match." She said, trying to put all the sincerity she had in her words. She really did feel like Ares was an essential part of the team, and not just as their captain.

She wished she knew how to make him feel better, but she suspected only going back in time and winning the match after all would really do the trick. Unfortunately, she didn't have a time turner. She nodded with conviction when he said they would win next time, and bit her lip when he mentioned how sad he would be to say goodbye. "We'll mis you." She said, her voice quieter now. She knew it would be true, at least for her. Ares had been someone she looked up to for a few years now. Perking up slightly, she was interested to hear about Ares' plans for after graduation. "Are you planning on trying to play professionally? For which team?" She asked him, curious. "I'm not sure if I'll try yet... It's not easy to get on a team, right? And I might want to pursue dancing." but even as she said it, she knew she would miss Quidditch horribly. Maybe she didn't have to choose? But April didn't know if she would be good enough to play professionally. Certainly not if she didn't learn to avoid bludgers a little better.

Ares shrugged at her, he knew she was trying to make him feel better in the same way he had been trying to make her feel better, but it wasn’t working out how he’d wanted. The teen didn’t particularly think he deserved the kind or encouraging words. Everything had come down to him and he was responsible. The teen just gave her a soft smile in response, saying nothing in agreement or against what she had said. There was no point, they could go back and forth all day about the blame, they could try to make each other feel better by the highlights of their own achievements. He just let the words hang in the air and let them go to another conversation. He definitely found a little smile on his face, ”Quidditch has been the best part of this place, leading has been good, difficult but good,” He knew that it had been, it was a good amount of time he’d spent part of the team, and he was happy despite it about all he’d managed.

Ares nodded, ”I’ve got some try-outs lined up for over the break, I don’t have a particularly team i want to play for, any would be fine,” he knew others would care more but he didn’t. Once he’d gotten on to a team, it would open other doors if he wanted to move. He didn’t think it was too difficult, ”I think it’s easier than most think, because not everyone does it, and you just have to show how good you are,” Ares hadn’t given it much thought, he was solely focused on getting through the year so he could relax for a bit he wasn’t letting his mind consider how hard it might be. ”Dancing?” he asked her, there was clearly a lot he didn’t know about April, though honestly there interactions were limited to quidditch and things around it, so it was fair that he wouldn’t know about her other interests, ”You’d certainly avoid bludgers with that,”

April could tell her words weren't having their desired effect, and it frustrated her. Ares' smile was nice, but she could tell he wasn't believing anything she said. With a sigh, she decided not to pursue it. She could talk to him about how awesome a captain he was until she died of old age, but he would still not believe her. Besides, he would probably die first. When he admitted leading the team was difficult she nodded, biting her lip. She couldn't imagine what it would be like to be captain. It definitely wouldn't be very fun. She already felt enough responsiblity from her position as seeker.

Her eyes widened when he said he had try-outs lined up over the break. "Really? Wow!" She said, sitting up straight. "That's so cool! Will you write me and tell me which team accepted you? But really, I bet they'll be fighting over you." She said with a grin. She really had a lot of faith in Ares, even if he didn't have any himself at the moment. She shrugged when he said it was easier than people thought. Maybe for someone like Ares, but April really needed to be better at not being removed from the game from bludger injuries before she could consider anything professional. She was way too young now, anyway. Ares seemed surprised to hear she danced, and she nodded quickly. "I've been doing ballet since... forever, though training is obviously kind of on hold at Hogwarts. I kind of want to explore some other types of dance after school maybe, it's a lot of fun." She giggled when he said she could avoid bludgers. "I could try some dance moves during the next match."

Ares ducked his head with a little nervous and shy smile. He was looking forward to the try-outs and what they might bring for his future, but admitting that it was something that was happening, that it was impressive was something to be boastful about. He smiled at her, and nodded, "I'll tell you if I get accepted," he was sure he would, people wouldn't fight over him, but Ares had been informed by one of the teams he'd applied for that they did look for guys like him, young, athletic, had been on teams a long while, knew how to play. He was good for another few years to improve and become a much better player. Ares didn't think he was that special or important, but he knew that he'd find a team for him, he'd be able to build his skills and move to better and better teams. "I'm sure they'd be fighting over you too, should you decide to do that," the hufflepuff captain assured April, good seekers were hard to come by and he knew that April was a good seeker, despite always being taken out of the games. That was surely why she'd always been taken out.

It was nice though, to learn a little more about her, and about her life outside of the quidditch they played. He hadn't really ever taken the time to get to know the players in his team outside of the quidditch they played together. It just wasn't necessary for the game, but it was nice. He could admit that maybe dancing wasn't what he'd expected, but it might really help them in the next game "You should, maybe you can pirouette out the way," he joked with her, but he was already thinking about if they could bring that in, maybe there was a way to lean into her agility with the game itself, "I think it would certainly throw off the slytherins, since they'd just be confused about what you were doing," he was thinking about the confused look on slytherin's faces if April did. "If we're losing the game, do that. let's just have some fun with it," Ares knew that winning was important but if they were looking at another loss, then he would want that to at least be fun, lose in good spirits.

April was happy to hear Ares promise to write her about what would happen with his tryouts. She would like to keep in touch with her captain after he left Hogwarts, even if she wasn't sure if she would be the best pen-pal. She would try her best. "When you get accepted." She said with a grin, nudging him slightly. She was glad he thought she was good, even when they had lost so many matches, but she was starting to doubt herself a little. Especially because of the Ravenclaw game. It had only been October's second game as seeker ever, and she had beaten April. It made her a little sad, even though she was proud of the other girl.

April laughed at the idea of pirouetting on a broomstick. "I could try." She said, not sure if it was even possible to make her broom move the way she wanted to. "The Slytherins won't understand at all, they're always so grumpy." She pulled a grumpy face to emphasize her point. "I hope we can beat them. Their beaters are mean." She remembered how brutal the game between Slytherin and Gryffindor had been. She hoped theirs would be better. His advice to have some fun with it if they were losing wasn't bad, but she shrugged. "I can have fun with it while we're winning too. Which we will." She looked at him seriously before giving him a hug. "Thanks for being such a good captain. I'm sad that will be our last game together." She said before letting go. "Unless we do meet each other on the pitch after Hogwarts."

Ares smiled at her as she laughed at his idea, it would certainly create a different game, and he'd seen professional players do lots of incredible moves almost like that sort of thing so why not April too. At the very least it might just be a way to lighten the mood, and Ares was very much joking about her doing it. In the way that should she opt to do it at any point it would be pretty incredible. It would be a sight to watch. It would be a way of lessening the tension, and perhaps it was just a way to help April in her own flying. ballet and quidditch were likely far apart in terms of sport but, at the very least a seeker had to quick agile and it was helpful if they could move with ease. it wasn't like keeper or chaser, that had solid paths and moves and just had to get the ball, it could be aided. He wanted to let the team be better than how he'd taken it on.

"That they are," he agreed with a small smile, they did seem to be grumpier, though he had met some nice slytherin's during his time at the school it was easy to agree with April's sentiment about them. He could also agree that spending this time with her was good for him. He felt less focused and angry on the game which had just been, it was probably because he had so few people to talk to that it all built up. The teen was a little caught off guard as she looked at him seriously and gave him a hug. He was too startled for a moment to even hug her back before letting himself do so. He smiled at what she said, "Hey, if you do end up as a ballerina, you're gonna have to invite me to at least one show," he said as she let go, he didn't know what she would do following school, but he would happily support her either way. "Thanks though, April," he added in a more serious tone, beginning to pack away the notes he had in front of him, and rubbing his face, "I should get some sleep or something," he muttered. Now his frustration was gone, he just felt tired.

April was glad Ares agreed Slytherin's were grumpy. They were also fairly intimidating, and had in the past been a good team. She knew she shouldn't underestimate them just because they had now lost a bunch, but it wasn't like the Hufflepuff team was bad. It made her happy that Ares hugged her back, and she nodded when he said she should invite him to any shows. "I would! Of course!" She said, grinning at him. Hopefully, she had managed to make him feel a little better about everything, but maybe not. At least she had tried. She nodded when he said he should go sleep. Sleep often did help when you were feeling sad. "Okay, see you!" She said, waving at him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back