Burnt

Logan looked up at Professor Kingsley and forced a smile on his lips. It was definitely forced, but he didn't mind his friends having to leave so the Head of House could speak to him. Logan's hands were clasped together, around the uneaten muffin, and heard the greeting. He replied, "Hey, Professor Kingsley." He watched her as she took a seat near him on the chair. She must be ready to talk to him about something. He put the muffin near the glass of water that he had not touched. She apologized for the time that she interrupted with his friends, but he was sure that they will be back later. He nodded whens he said that. Gryffindors stuck together. He just wished that he would have not been alone last night. Except for that one girl that managed to help him in a very twisted way. "I'm not in any pain. Just a little uncomfortable. But I'm fine. I've just been a little nauseous." Logan was telling the truth on that. He did feel like he was going to throw up any time he was taking something in that wasn't pain potion. "You look worried or something. Gryffindors always pull through in the end."

"You're right" Cyndi smiled, realizing how silly it was that her student was reassuring her when she should have been reassuring him. Like the other Gryffindors, Logan was proving to be strong and resilient, but she wasn't sure if that would last or if he'd suddenly get hit with all of the emotions about what he'd endured. That seemed to be Lucius' concern as well, and it was a valid one. "I wanted to check in on you and see if you wanted to talk about...anything" she continued delicately, her eyes moving from the boy's face to her hands and back again.

Sitting in the bed, he looked so young. Professor Kingsley was sad that he'd endured something so terrible. She knew that there was a counselor in the school and hoped that Logan would take advantage of speaking to the man. Cyndi had met him before and he was nice. " The Headmistress will need to notify your family about what happened. It's school policy. I just wanted to let you know that.". Professor Kingsley would be heading to the Headmistress' office straight from here. "Is there anything you'd like me to tell her or for us to tell your brother?" she asked.

Ailsa had heard about what had happened from some of the rumours and from a small conversation by some students who had passed her in the morning. She had gone a little after they'd left the Gryffindor common room, and had stood at the entrance of the hospital wing, watching the small group of about two gryffindors and she was sure a hufflepuff fawn over Logan's bed, and she as someone who barely knew any of them, and wasn't even sure of her strange friendship with Logan didn't feel like interrupting him with his other friends. Ailsa felt bad about what had happened to Logan, she felt angry about it, she hated that someone had done that to someone that she did count as being her friend. Logan was that when she thought about it, they studied together in the late hours of the night when most others were asleep, it had been then that she had learned about the fact he loved muggle mathematics (which she had been quick to inform that she hated always hated) and in that moment decided as she walked away that she would try and get him a maths book of some kind, a little get well soon present. The problem was that Ailsa didn't have any muggle books about maths, she had to therefore dragged her cousin, Lydia, out of bed, and with her, they'd gone to her Lydia's cousin who worked in the library who had managed to leave school and come back with a book on maths like she'd asked, it was admittedly a second hand book with a hard back cover, and a faint old book smell. Ailsa couldn't have been happier about it, she had hugged her cousin and her cousin's cousin in massive thanks about it. Now, she stood hovering at the entrance of the Hospital Wing, watching the head of their house speak to Logan.

Ailsa had the book clutched close to her chest, her heart beating heavily hoping that her friend was both okay and that he would like the book that she was giving him, she hadn't understood much of it, so she assumed that it was the right kind of book. Ailsa had never really told anyone about her friendship, or growing friendship with Logan, it hadn't ever come up, simply hadn't been something she'd needed to mention. The gryffindor had needed help that one time, and subsequent times when they'd both been studying alone at night had helped her see him as a friend, but no one really knew since by the time anyone else was getting up they were both long gone from the common room. They were polite to each other, but they spoke about as much outside of that situation as they did in it, after all, they studied together they didn't discuss the issues of the day together. Ailsa couldn't copy the light hearted friendliness of the people who'd surrounded his bed before, she hadn't wanted to intrude where Logan might not have wanted her to when he was with those other people, but she hadn't wanted to not come see him. The head of their house seemed to be talking to Logan currently but, Ailsa entered the room, standing a little away from the bed, unable to hear what was being said, just waiting for the professor to leave, brushing strand of her hair from her face. She took a deep breath and tightened her grip on the book, waiting the few moment before the professor left and she gave the woman a small smile before finishing the distance to Logan's bed,

"Hi," she said softly, getting his attention once the professor had left, it was then she noticed the muffins and the new arithmancy book and suddenly wondered if her old second hand book, about old muggle maths had been as good an idea as it had seemed at the time. She smiled at her friend finding it not as forced as she had thought it might be, "Here, I thought you might like something to help pass the time," she sounded almost nervous as she spoke, anticipating his reaction as she handed over the book, where the title read, A Basic History of Mathematics: Volume 1. She stood a little awkwardly, "Can I sit down?" she asked pointing to a chair beside his bed.
<i></i>

Logan smiled when the professor said that he was right. Logan thought that he was, and he was going to be stubborn about it. He looked toward Lucius, who he knew was listening in on the conversation. Logan didn't know why they were all so worried. Okay, so he could have died. But he didn't. And that was enough for him. Logan shook his head, "There's not much to talk about. I promise, professor." Logan had no idea if he was going to be able to keep that promise, but it was worth it. He didn't want anyone to worry about him. He didn't want to feel like some injured puppy. However, notifying his family? Dean? Logan looked back toward Professor Kingsley, and said simply, "Just don't let him come here. He'll try to make me go to the other Hogwarts. I don't want to leave my friends."

His eyes averted when he heard a soft hi in the room, and his eyes turned to see Ailsa. He smiled gently toward her, before he greeted, "Hey, Ailsa." She offered him something, which he took within his hand. It was an old math book. Logan's eyes lit up with the light that was normally within them until that incident. He could not contain his happiness. "This is the best. I would hug you but..." Logan motioned with his head toward his back. He was basically handicapped right now with the way things were. But hopefully he would be out of here soon. Logan chuckled, "As if I have the heart to kick you out after this. Please, sit down." Logan continued to smile, though it did lessen a little bit. He just had to remember what he held within his hand. A math book. Something he could read on. This was his ticket to remain calm.

His smile didn't go unnoticed by the teen who felt relieved that he liked what she'd found, or what her cousin's cousin had found when he'd gone out to get something, though it had been under her instructions. The girl had been unsure whether he would want it, it didn't feel like the best kind of gift for someone who had just faced something like he had and it wasn't like it was the kind of book who would help him in his studies, but seeing his face light up was enough for Ailsa to know she'd made the right decision, and at his words she just shook her head, "Well, you didn't seem like a flower kind of guy," she told him ignoring his statement about not being able to hug clearly because of his injuries, the girl didn't particularly want to think about that and she doubted that he wanted attention to be brought to them. The Gryffindor teen had decided that she wouldn't mention it, or really ask him any questions about it at all, seeing him with the head of their house made her feel a little like he wouldn't want to have to talk about it, and Ailsa didn't think they were good enough friends for her to ask about it. Instead she was happier brushing it off, and instead making a statement, "Unless you are a flower kind of guy, in which case I'll take back the book and pick up one of those flower crowns from the wild patch club," she motioned as if to take back the book but she had no intention to and it was clear in her actions.

When she was then allowed to, Ailsa sat down in the chair, pulling it up so that she was sitting facing him but close enough that if he wanted to she could hold his hand, unsure really of what to do with herself within this strange and new dynamic. Ailsa had never been in this kind of situation before, like she imagined Logan had never, so it was all just a little bit new to everyone. She did however smile at his comment not noticing that his smile faded slightly, "With such a book I can almost imagine that you wouldn't want me here just so you could get started on it already," she joked with him since he really did in her mind love maths so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to have wanted her to leave so he could just get started. Getting herself slightly more comfortable in the chair, Ailsa had no idea if he would like the book but she hoped that he would, Ailsa hoped it was the kind of book which Logan liked to read, "How long will you be stuck in here for? Do you want me to bring you your homework?" she asked him, unsure of how long he'd be here and knowing that he might want someone to bring him his work if it was for a while.

Ailsa wasn't sure what else to say, what else to ask, so instead of really saying anything she just got up from where she was sitting, moving the chair back to here it had been and though it looked as though she was preparing to leave, the opposite was true, she walked to the side of his bed and made a little scooting motion with her hands to Logan, telling him to make space for her on the bed so that she could sit next to him. Once a little settled, beside him on the hospital bed she offered a small smile before taking the book and opening it, placing it between them, "Check out his beard," she had opened it to not the first page but a few pages in where a picture of Archimedes was facing back at her, she turned slightly to her friend, trying to arrange her hair to match the beard of the man, trying her best to get it to stay, "How do I look?" she asked still mostly holding her hair because it wasn't going to stay on it's own. She laughed lightly, before glancing back down at the book, and letting Logan start reading it, following along though barely.
<i></i>

Logan merely chuckled at the mention of not being like a flower type of guy. No, he definitely was not. He was definitely into the books. Books meant so much to him. Reality, he just preferred the company of his friends, and his books. And this one was just amazing. He never thought that Ailsa would have thought to give him something like this. "No, no! Please don't take this book away and replace it with a flower crown!" He hugged the book to his chest, and a smile finally broke through his ruse. He definitely wanted this book. He could not wait until his brother would hear about what his friend, Ailsa, got for him. His brother would definitely be pleased. Logan did not want her to go though, even with the joke out in the air. He smiled toward her, before he shrugged, "No, I wouldn't want to be alone right now anyway. This place gets way too quiet. You know, the silence that is deafening." Logan thoroughly hated that silence. It killed him listening to it. He'd rather have someone talking or just breathing next to him. After hearing what Ailsa asked, Logan had to recall what he heard Lucius say. It couldn't be too long.

"A couple of days I think. And if you don't mind to. I don't want to get lost because I'm stuck," Logan chuckled, before his smile faltered for a bit. He hated being in hospitals, but at least this one won't be too rough. Just a couple of days. Logan noticed what she was doing with her hands, so he moved over on the bed, to the near edge so that Ailsa would have room to sit down next to him. She opened the book and then mimicked Archimedes' beard toward him. Logan couldn't help but laugh, "At least you look better than him!" After some settling, Logan started to read it aloud, with Ailsa, not knowing that she was not following along as much as he was. After the first five pages, Logan's words slowed down because he was getting tired, so he asked Ailsa to take over. Not a paragraph into the next page, Logan fell sleep next to his friend. He actually looked like he was peaceful next to her. He hadn't slept in so long, it was incredible on how soundlessly he went.

After some watching Logan and a girl that he thought was named Ailsa, he noticed that they were reading together, before Logan finally fell asleep. About time. He looked over at them before he thought, 'They are so cute together. Just don't end up like the other Head people, and pregnancies here.' Lucius hoped that the current Head Girl was smart enough to wait. Then again, she seemed to not have a boyfriend so no worries. Unless... Lucius broke his thoughts, since he was not going to take bets on that. He walked over to the bed, and held out his hand, "Let's leave Logan to get some well needed sleep. Thanks for coming by though." Lucius proceeded to lead the small Gryffindor girl out of the room, before he asked her to come by later.

Fin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back