Oscar Brooks

Local Man Does His Best
OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Muggle
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Oscar had always know he and Elliot existed in two different worlds. He'd always been afraid that his son was too much like his mother in more ways that one and despite his best efforts, that the rift he'd felt growing since Elliot had started school in New Zealand was going to continue to grow. Though if Oscar was honest with himself, his efforts hadn't really been his best. Or really there at all. But with Elliot growing up before his eyes, Oscar could feel that time to really get to know his son starting to run out and he was detirmined to do something about it.

So here he was, stuck standing outside some crazy magic bookshop, a week off work and a B&B booked just outside Wellington proper so he could visit Obsidian Harbour. Oscar had hoped he could get familiar with some of the shops and places Elliot had talked about in the past before the event the 'Ministry of Magic' (honestly) was hosting was due to occur, but now he was just overwhelmed. Elliot had spent the entirety of his winter break working down here and Oscar hadn't had the guts to visit once. And now he was here, tragically alone and certain if he walked into the bookshop he was going to open the wrong book and be turned into a lizard or something. "What are you doing?" He asked his reflection in the shop window forlornly, half wondering if maybe in a place like this his reflection might have something useful to say back.

Despite how much he protested whenever Zelda insisted he needed to get out more and meet more people, Miles did sometimes feel... lonely. He often buried himself in work when that mood hit him, but today he had just felt the urge to leave the house. Even his books couldn't cheer him up today. He just needed a change of scenery, so went for a walk around Obsidian Harbour. Of course, his feet still took him to the bookstore almost on their own accord. Even if the books at home couldn't cheer him up, maybe a new book could.

As Miles headed to the door, he heard someone ask what he was doing. He paused, frowning as he looked around. There was one man standing nearby, looking at the shop window. Miles hesitated, then stepped a bit closer. "Pardon, were you talking to me?" He asked hesitantly. "I... was simply entering the store. Is there a problem?" He asked him, noticing he hadn't seen the man before around here.

Oscar had to double-take when a man responded to his despairing hypothetical, briefly distracted by his bowtie. "Oh no, sorry I was.. Talking to myself," He said, trailing off and sparing a moment for any chance he had of appearing like a well-adjusted adult here. This whole shopping district already made Oscar feel a little off-kilter, everyone dressed like they'd agreed on some sort of dress code Oscar had never heard of. Wizard-casual. Business-seance.

As far as potential witches or wizards went, the man he'd startled didn't seem very threatening at least and Oscar figured asking a stranger might be safer than trying to brave the bookstore on his own, he gathered what was left of his wits to try and ask for help. "I'm uh. New to all this," He said quickly, waving his hand to brush away the partial lie. "The books in here aren't- They're normal books right? Or clearly labeled cursed or something at least?" He asked the man, proud of how his voice only raised in pitch by a few octaves in the face of the ridiculousness of his question. He'd known his ex-wife was witch for 17 years. He'd known his son was a wizard for at least 6, and yet he still struggled to really accept this was real.

Miles froze as the man admitted he had just been talking to himself, immediately wishing for the ground to open up and swallow him for responding to it. "Oh dear, my apologies." He said awkwardly. "I do that enough myself, you'd think I would recognize it." He added with a nervous laugh. The man's next admission that he was new to all this was a little confusing, and Miles frowned a little as he puzzled it out. Surely he couldn't mean he had only just realized he was magical, he was too old for that. But then it clicked in Miles' brain. Not a wizard, but clearly the parent of one, perhaps? He smiled, unable to hide some amusement. "Yes, they are normal books." He told the man kindly. "The cursed kind are in less reputable stores than this one. I can promise you they are safe. Though I daresay there are some books about curses in here, if you are curious." He said with a slight nod. "Do you have a son or daughter who just started at Hogwarts?" He added, curious to see if he had been right in his guess.

Oscar returned the other man's laugh, both of them clearly a bit embarrassed by the whole encounter. But at least if he could embarrass a wizard then maybe this whole ordeal wasn't as bizarre as he was building it up to be.

Oscar was relieved when the man explained the books inside were perfectly safe, even if the explanation did make him feel a bit silly in retrospect. It did make him wonder what the 'less reputable stores' looked like, but not enough to ever want to really find out. "That's a relief, thank you. Would be just my luck to read the wrong thing and turn myself into a newt or something," He said sheepishly. Oscar scratched his cheek awkwardly at the man's next question, unsure if he should tell the truth. It would be easy enough to gently side-step the real answer and pretend that Elliot was a lot younger than he was. "Yes, well. My son. He's a fifth year.. now," Oscar admitted, deciding his ship had already sailed when it came to saving any face here. "I don't really get a chance to travel here much. My- My ex usually handled most of this stuff." Oscar wasn't sure why he suddenly felt the need to share every detail with this man, but it wasn't like he had many other people in his life to talk about this and it was almost freeing in a sense, to get to explain some of it without worrying about making a complete fool of himself. Or at least not to anyone who really mattered.

Miles chuckled at the other man's comment, though he wondered if he was speaking from some sort of negative experience. He seemed rather fearful of magic, but Miles supposed that would be a natural way to feel if it was new and unknown. He'd always grown up around it, and could hardly imagine not being used to magic. The man continued to talk about his son, who was a bit older than Miles had assumed at first. But he supposed in the grand scheme of things, four years wasn't a long time to get used to all that. "Ah, that would make sense." He said quietly. "I know our world can be very overwhelming, so if I could help you with anything, please let me know." He smiled, then shook his head a little. "I come here quite a bit more often than is probably healthy, so I can probably help you find whatever kind of books you're looking for as well as anyone who works here." He said, lightly making fun of himself in the hopes of making the man feel more at ease.

Oscar gave the man a grateful smile when he didn't seem inclined to pick apart his admission about Elliot or how weird this all was to him so much. He knew it wasn't totally fair of him, but Oscar had rather been expecting all witches and wizards to be dismissive or judgmental, so it was a relief he'd managed to at least bump into one who was willing to help. "Thank you that's uh- That's very kind of you," He said, picking nervously at his fingernails. "I don't even think I'd know where to start. My son was down here nearly every day over the winter and I'm not even sure I know where he worked," Oscar admittedly sheepishly, glancing back into the bookshop window. "Bookshop seemed less intimidating to start with, right?" He admitted, looking back to the man. He could relate to being a bit book obsessed, his own home packed pretty tight with books he almost certainly didn't need but couldn't let go of. "I'm Oscar, by the way. I appreciate your help," He said, holding his hand out in greeting.

For someone as uncertain as Miles often was, it felt good to be able to help someone else. This was something he could do, something he knew a lot about and was confident about. Helping out a father who wanted to know his son's world better also sounded like a good cause. Miles ignored the small voice in his head that sounded like Zelda that was rudely pointing out how handsome the sad father was. That had nothing to do with this. "Do you know what sort of store he worked at?" Miles asked him, hoping he wasn't making him feel worse by asking. "I'm very familiar with most of the establishments here, I'm sure I could help if you were curious." He nodded. "But a bookshop is a good place to start, regardless." He said. "Especially if you want to learn." He added kindly. "My name is Miles." He shook the man's hand. "It's my pleasure."

Oscar paused for an uncomfortably long time as he tried somewhat desperately to remember the name of the place Elliot had worked. It wasn't that he didn't care, but Elliot coming home and telling him he'd be spending the winter with him so he could work at a magical store was a lot for Oscar to process. There had been a spark of hope they could get closer again living together, but in the end Oscar had felt even more distant, with Elliot gone every day working on things he didn't seem comfortable sharing with him. It had spooked Oscar more than he wanted to admit and now, trying to recall what Elliot had been doing the whole time his mind had conveniently hidden all that information away somewhere where he couldn't dwell on it.

"It was uh. Something to do with.. Magic wands?" He offered, aware how bad it probably painted him to not know. Magic wands seemed pretty distinct though, and Oscar hoped his brain hadn't just supplied the first stereotypically magical thing he could think of. "I'm not sure I'm ready to face the idea of magic wands right away though, no," He added hastily, nodding as the man, Miles, suggested sticking with the bookshop first. "I'm actually allowed to uh- Buy these books right?" He asked, suddenly worried he'd somehow get in trouble if he tried.

Miles' face brightened as Oscar spoke about magical wands. That made it a lot easier. "Ah, yes." He said, nodding. "There's one wand store around here, Ollivanders. It's not far from here if you're curious." He said with a smile. But then he nodded as Oscar said he wasn't quite ready to face the idae of magic wands. Miles hadn't really considered how strange that would be for someone not used to it. "Or I could simply tell you where it is so you can visit whenever you feel ready." He added. "Let's go inside." He said, leading the man into the store. "Of course you're allowed to buy these books, you're uh... in the know already, so to say. That said, they do ask for wizarding currency here." He added, wondering if the man had any with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back