Braver than most

Gwen Graves

"Cleo you come back here." Gwen called after her cat as it raced out of the common room and into the hallway. A couple of her her fellow classmates tried to catch the havana brown but it was just to fast. Gwen saw her cat hide under a bench just out of reach. Making her way down the hall Gwen didn't notice that there was a older Slytherin but he noticed her because as she ran by he stuck out his foot and sent Gwen flying. As she landed on the floor the books she had been carrying went everywhere and Gwen could do nothing but sit there feeling sorry for herself. "Cleo please come here please." Gwen asked softly trying her best not to cry but knowing that it could end up being a losing battle this time.

The young gryffindor had a hectic schedule that he had to follow. Both quidditch and studying had claimed the most of his free time, leaving almost no spare time to relax or dedicate himself to his long walks in the forest. At least he had still time to take care of his pets as his family had the unusual habit to not only sending owls but also eagles, falcons, even pelicans, which required some dedication and bonding. That evening he decided to spend more time with his only wingless pet, Chewy, a bengal cat. He had neglected his lazy cat by leaving him wandering mostly in gryffindors common room.
Chewy had been spending all the time in front of the fireplace, just lying there and watching the students comming in and out of the portrait's hole. As a good owner, Minoas realised that his cat needed some exercise so he decided to take Chewy out of the common room's warmth by force, for a short walk around the corridor, just to give him enough stimulation and make him a little bit more energetic.

"C'mon, move your lazy tail." he commanded his pet which was stopping now and then to just stand in the middle of the corridor to lick and clean its fur around its neck. A commotion that was taking place at the end of the corridor, distracted him and he didn't notice another darting, brown cat passing next to him. Only Chewy widened his emerald eyes as the havana brown passed him by, recognising her familiar smell from the common room. Minoas went closer. He recognised his classmate Gwen on the floor along with her scattered books. His grey eyes locked on a slytherin guy who was slowly leaving with a smug face, giving him a fierce look. "Are you alright Gwen? What happened?" he asked softly the girl with the watery eyes. He was casting back looks at the slytherin as he was collecting Gwen's books, ready to take out his wand in case he was asking for more trouble.

Gwen felt like such a dork with all eyes on her. How could someone be so mean to someone they didn't even know. Cleo continued to stare at her with her big yellow eyes Gwen didn't know if she wanted to hug her cat or lock her in the closet. "Cleo come here you beast." Gwen called snapping her fingers hoping that her beast would finally stop being a brat and come over to her. Cleo seemed to once again have other things on her mind. She had saw another one of the cats that lived in Gryffindor tower and was now making her way over to the cat to give it a friendly headbutt.

Minoas came to her side and started to pick up her books. 'I'm fine Minoas thanks." Gwen said trying not to cry in front of someone she thought of as a friend or at least someone she got along with. "That boy tripped me as I was chasing after Cleo." Gwen said reaching for her newest book. Seeing that the cover had been torn Gwen bit her lip and fought even harder not to cry. "My mom just got me this book. I hadn't even had time to read it." Gwen said looking at her ruined copy of King Henry the 8th. She hadn't even opened it for the first time and now it was destroyed. Picking up the book Gwen held it close to her chest. She was sure that it could be fixed but it just wasn't the same.

As Gwen called someone named Cleo over, he looked over his shoulder to see a brown havana, offering a friendly headbutt to Chewy. Chewy seemed to be accepting the headbutt, at first a bit cautiously but then he purred in pleasure. He also started looking more hyped and energetic. Minoas just shook his head with a smirk before returning to his fellow gryffindor. He casted another nasty look at the slytherin who then vanished around the corner and returned the stack of books to Gwen. "Ignore him, he doesn't deserve any kind of attention." he told her as he knew that most of those people were seeking attention even in that way. He then shoved his hand in his pocket and drew out of it his wand. At first, it looked like that the young gryffindor was going to run after the slytherin but instead aimed at Gwen's torn book. "Reparo!" he said with a flawless swish of his wand and her book's cover looked like as it had never been torn apart.

"As good as new. Now you'll be able to read it and tell to your mother your impression." he said with a smile as he was putting back his wand in his pocket. He had a glance on the title of the book and he felt a lump in his stomach. It was like he was allergic to history. "Unusual book for extracurricular reading. Do you like history?" he asked her, realising that he knew her for two years now and he had never actually talked with her except from an astronomy homework cooperation. I soft, distant meow from Chewy, made him turn behind him. Chewy and Cleo seemed that they had decided to go on their own little adventure, leaving from their sight. "I can't believe that your cat has actually made my lazy buddy move around a bit." he commented surprised.

Gwen watched the exchange between the two cats. Cleo had a way of getting anyone to be friendly. She was pretty much like her owner. Gwen gave the Slytherin a glare before turning back to Minoas. "I hope we destroy them in Quidditch." Gwen said deciding that she would forgive the Slytherin and get over it. At least she hadn't fallen down any steps that could have turned out really bad. As Gwen watched Minoas pull out his wand she thought at first she was going to have to step him from running after the bully and trying to handle it himself. Thankfully all he did was fix her book. "Thank you so much. You don't know how much this means to me." Gwen said looking at her once again perfect book.

"I know I can't wait to read it. The book hasn't even been released yet but mom knows people and she knew that I had been dying to get my hands on this book so she pulled some strings and it just showed up today." Gwen said a huge smile on her face. She had been getting ready to sit by the fire and read it when Cleo deiced to make her great escape. When Minoas asked if she liked history Gwen blushed. "I'm in love with History. It is my best subject. I'm hoping to become a Wizard Archaeologist once I leave Hogwarts. Its my calling." Gwen said already picturing herself all grown up and discovering things that had been lost for thousands of years if not more. Watching Cleo and Chewy walk away Gwen called after them. "Cleo stay out of Professor A'Dares office. Her candy chest is not a toy." Gwen said loud enough so her cat could hear her. "Cleo is a very headstrong cat. Shes always getting into trouble one way or another." Gwen explained as she got to her feet so she could put all her books on the same bench that her cat had just been hiding under.

He let a smirk when Gwen talked about the Quidditch part. "As long as it's in my hands, I reassure you that we will decimate them." he said, not planning to be soft or anything at the upcoming match. He could get really competitive if he had to and he wasn't use to give up easily. He liked the fact that made the girl smile again when her book was back to its prior condition. He enjoyed helping people when they need it, especially when that required the use of his wand. Unlike Gwen who looked like the kind of person that would enjoy a book, Minoas was more of a practitioner. He noticed her blushed cheeks, he just hoped that he hadn't brought her in a very uncomfortable position.

"That sounds good actually. I just dislike earlier history, you know middle age and after. Ancient civilizations is a great topic, I like as well ancient temples, pyramids and that kind of stuff. I have a relative who's over obsessed with archeology. When she's in her archeological mode she can even worship a single ancient pillar." he joked, referring to one of his cousins. He then glanced at the direction that the two felines disappeared. "Chewy on the other hand is the most indifferent and bored creature I have ever seen. He just likes lying for hours in a warm corner, just watching around like a king does with his minions." he gave a pretty good description of his cat's personalities. He was doing almost everything, everytime he was trying to play with him or make him more active. Chewy was most of the time ignoring him with a frustrating yawn.

Minoas made a peculiar kind of whistle with his lips that echoed in the corridor. Soon his cat rushed back with its tail up like a flag, showing back the way to Cleo who was following. Chewy jumped on the bench and looked Minoas with his big emerald eyes, licking his whiskers, letting a complaining meow. "Now that was his time-for-food call." he explained to Gwen why his cat decided to come back so madly. Chewy was looking unexpectively active with his new friend. He actually starting licking Cleo's neck. "I'm getting slightly offended here buddy. I'm always struggling to get you moving and now you look ready to hunt mice." he said and scratched Chewy's head. "It's admirable that animals have actually there own personalities. Do you have any other pets?" he asked as he loved animals.

Gwen let the talk to to Quidditch for a little bit she didn't know much about it but she found it very interesting to say the least. One of these days she would try to learn how to play but she was always scared that she would fall off her broom. It was just one of the fears of hers that was on the very long list of fears. "Well I will be there cheering for you." Gwen said kindly eyes still unable to stop looking at her book. She had been sure that her book would never be the same again but there it was as good as new.

"How could you dislike any part of History? I adore every part of it. When I am at home I spend all my time in my room studying something or another. My siblings think it's weird but mom and dad they support it." Gwen wanted to ask about Minoas's family but she didn't want to seem rude or noesy. If one of her other siblings where here with her they would have been asking him so many questions.

Gwen listened as Minoas talked about his cat. Chewy seemed like a very lazy cat. Sometimes she wished that Cleo would be like that but she had always been very active. It annoyed her family most of the time but they had grown to love her cat. "Cleo's the only pet I have. It took a lot of begging on my part to be able to get her. I like how active she is just not when she breaks out of the common room and goes right for Professor A'Dares office." Gwen watched as Chewy started to clean Cleo's neck it was really cute how nice he was being to Cleo. "I think its cute how different animals can be." Gwen said looking out the window enjoying how bright and sunny it looked outside.

Minoas was thankful that Gwen was still checking her book, as he didn't want to notice his ears blushing when she told him that she would cheer for him. Still feeling that warmth at his ears, he let a big smile as Gwen couldn't understand how he could be hating history even if that was about specific eras. "It's so hard remembering all those dates, which event took place before or after another, plus historical names are too many as well and I can't even pronounce half of them." he explained a few of the many reasons he wasn't enjoying the subject. He was alright with his country's history but foreign history was another case.

Listening to her love about reading and how her family was either supporting that or discouraging it, he understood why he hadn't see her around a lot. "I don't see anything bad in that. Books can be a good companion indeed, although I don't have the patience to finish them. I usually go straight to the chapters that interest me, ignoring the rest ones." he said knowing that that may sound like sacrilege to Gwen but it was true. "That explains a lot why I have only seen you in classes." he commented about her habit of reading a lot of books.
He took a seat on the bench, making Chewy meow again as he was waiting still for some treat but Minoas ignored him. "Do you have many siblings? Are they attending here?" he asked as he was taking off his laps, Chewy's demanding paws.

"Hmm, maybe professor's A'Dare office has something interesting. I didn't have any problem with him. My finally was alright when I found him." he stated as he had found Chewy as a kitten, alone and soaked, wandering lost. If he hadn't find him he would be probably dead now from cold. Chewy started chewing the end of Minoas' robes and the Gryffindor grinned. "And that's how he took his name. You might have wondered why the carpet in the common room has asymmetric finishes. Well...here is the answer." he said while taking his robes carefully, away from Chewy's teeth. "I was glad that my family didn't have any issue, keeping him. It would be rediculous if they had when they run a ranch of flying horses and griffins." he revealed, thankful that his father at least was into magical creatures and liked animals as well. "Are your parents both into magic?" he asked her just to learn more about her.

OOCOut of Character:
Soooo sorry it took so long. Forgive me if its a bit rusty but I will get the hang of it soon.

Gwen was so lost in her book that she almost missed Minoas listing off all the reasons he did not like History. It was a rather long list it seemed but Gwen was sure that she could fix those problems for Minoas. "If you would like I could help you with History. I am rather good at it and you could help me with Astronomy. The class is rather different and sometimes I think Professor A'Dare just might be insane." Gwen said thoughtfully. She would keep her other thoughts about other Professors to herself for the time she didn't want Minoas to think she was crazy for some of the things that her and her sister thought up.

A look of shook passed over Gwen's face at the very mention of skipping over chapters. "You could be missing the best parts of the book by doing that and you would never know. Gwen said holding her book tighter to her chest as if she could protect it from hearing what Minoas was saying. "I have a twin sister Morrigan who is in Ravenclaw. I also have two other siblings but they don't go here anymore they decided to transfer to a magic school in the America's to be closer to mom and dad." Gwen explained. It had been nice at first having her brother and sisters with her but now that it was just her and Morrigan she had to admit that she liked that even more. The other two just didn't understand her like Morrigan did.

"From what I hear Professor A'Dare has a huge trunk of candy in her office. Among with other interesting things. Whatever it is Cleo sure seems to like being in there." When Cleo first started to do it Gwen would chase her and bring her back but now she just let her cat do whatever she wanted and come back when she pleased except for times when Gwen was in the common room than she tried to keep the cat with her. As Minoas explained how Chewy got his name and than Chewy showed her Gwen let out a giggle. "Lets just hope that Professor Kingsley doesn't get to upset about it." Gwen said thoughtfully. She had never really talked to her head of house but she had seemed nice from afar. "My parents are magical they just work as secret service for the muggle president of the United States. I find it exciting what they do. When I was younger I thought that was what I would want to do when I grew up but they took a trip to Egypt and I got to go and from than on I knew that my calling was archaeology. What about your parents?" Gwen asked finally glad that she could sit down and have a chat with Minoas. She had always wanted to get to know him better but always found a reason not to because of her shyness.

OOCOut of Character:
No worries I just had to re-read the whole thread cause I had forgot what they were generally talking about :correct:

It was really kind of Gwen, offering some help with history of magic. Minoas would needed if he had the expectation to pass the course with good grades "That would be really nice, honestly. I could definately help you with astronomy. I've been taught that subject since I was five at home." he offered back his knowledge as an exchange for hers. He chuckled a bit when the fellow Gryffindor stated that the astronomy professor was a little bit insane. "I like her class. I think she's alright. She just has her bad days I guess." he spoke of his opinion. Professor A'Dare was fine to his eyes. There were other professors that he couldn't stand at all.

The girl's reaction to his studying method was priceless and Minoas could swear that the reason why she was squeezing the book in her embrace, was to protect it from his own words. "Don't worry, I have an eye for the important stuffs. I think that helped me at last year's history exam." he tried to calm her down.
He listened to her about her family and he realised that she wasn't as well from New Zealand but from the States.
"How come you and your twin stayed here when your parents are in America?" the question came out naturally to her statement and he wished he hadn't brought her into an uncomfortable disposition.

It was unusual for a cat to be fond of candy so he tried to find another explanation. "Maybe professor A'Dare has also a cat and picked up its scent." he pointed out. He was getting into the mood to go and check out what was hidden in the professor's office but he had promised to himself to stay out of troubles, especially before a Quidditch match. His attention then turned to his bengal cat that meowed annoyed as what Minoas had said about his habit of chewing the carpet in the common room, had damaged his reputation in front of his new friend. "I think the house-elves are doing a good job every once in a month and they fix his mess. Professor Kingsley is cool though. I think we're going to see her soon for our electives. Have you made up your mind?" he asked her, sure for his choices but needing also the Gryffindor head's opinion.

Gwen parent's job was sounding intriguing to the young Gryffindor. He always wanted to learn more about muggles and he loved their mysterious technology. "It's exciting indeed! So they are something like aurors?" he asked as he always had in the back of his mind the idea of becoming an auror. Then his gray eyes filled with desire as she revealed that she had traveled to Egypt. "I'm so envious right now. I always wanted to go to Egypt!" he said a little bit jealous. "The irony is that my country is really close to Egypt and instead I ended up on the other side of the globe." he commented, imagining the equivalent school of magic in Egypt, housed in a pyramid. "I'm still going to learn hieroglyphics though." he added as he wanted to learn more about the specific country. "My parents are not doing such an exciting job like yours. Actually, my mom doesn't work anymore. She used to be a healer, she's now bringing up my brothers. My dad is a magizoologist, he had written a couple of books about the beasts of Mediterranea and he's also a breeder. My family has a tradition on winged horses and generally flying creatures. We have customers from all over the globe. We also offer lessons for learning how to ride and fly winged horses." he made a pretty good advertisement of his family bussiness and let a smile when he realised that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back