Bored and looking for conversation

Kiriyama Ando

Kiriyama sat by the lakefront and picked up a handful of stones. He had only met one person so far at the school and he was beginning to think that he would never meet any other 5th years or even 4th years. Taking a shiny, smooth rock, Kiriyama stood up and approached the waters edge. Leaning closer to the surface, he tossed the rock in an attempt to skip it over the smooth surface of the water. He got three skips before the rock sunk to the bottom. Sighing and standing up straighter he let his shoulders slump and walked back to where he was sitting.

Kat was bored out of her mind sitting in the common room. The environment was beginning to get very stuffy. Feeling like she was getting slightly claustrophobic she decided it would probably be best to stretch her legs and get some fresh air. It was much too hot out to be wearing her heavy robes and seeing as how she was finished with class for the day she threw on a pair of shorts and an old t-shirt. Kat sauntered down across the school grounds, book in hand, until she reached the lakefront. She headed for the same tree that she'd been sitting under for the last three years when she saw a boy, who looked slightly bewildered, walking away from the lake. Letting her curiosity get the better of her, which rarely ever happened, she walked over to him and asked, "Are you new here? You certainly don't look like a first year." It was true. There was no bloody way that this guy was 11 years old, or even 12 for that matter. He had to be older, but Kat had never seen him before.

Kiriyama was just getting ready to sit down when he saw a girl walking down the lawn. She looked older and for that he was relieved. He still had not gotten used to the division of the school and houses; so he had yet to realize that Gryffindors and Slytherin were supposed to be enemies. With a half smile, he saw that she was approaching him. She spoke and he nodded, "Yeah, I'm new here. I just transferred in from Durmstrang." He chuckled lightly, "I'm definitely not a first year. I'm a fifth year, this year." Without even thinking about it, he added, "Name's Kiriyama Ando." This was certainly out of character for him. He wasn't the type to give out his name without having been asked first.

Kat grinned at the boy and joked, "Glad to hear you're not a first year. I was beginning to think that they had put something in the water that was making people grow at super speeds." She sat down on the cool green grass and then looked up at him saying, "I'm Katalina, or Kat. That's what everyone else calls me anyways! I'm a third year Gryffinor. I take it from the color of your robes that you're a Slytherin." Kat wrinkled her nose up in mock disgust and then chuckled. "In all seriousness, how are you settling in here?"

Kiriyama shrugged when she said she was a Gryffindor and made a mental note to ask a Slytherin what a Gryffindors characteristics were supposed to be. He had to admit that the girl was funny, but he was not one to laugh often. Smiling instead, he said "I'm doing fine I suppose. I recently found out that there's another boy here from Durmstrang, so at least I won't be alone." He realized how stupid that sounded; there were far too many people for him to be alone, but he only knew two people now. "I've only gotten lost three times in the last couple of days. I wish there was a map." He paused, then offered an ounce of manners, "Thanks for asking."

"There's another transfer student? We just seem to be attracting you all like flies!" she joked, hoping he wouldn't find it rude. Kat picked a piece of grass and began to play with it between her fingers. "I wouldn't worry about being alone for too long, in fact after a few days you'll probably find it hard to find some peace and quiet. And as far as getting lost...i've been here for three years and I still get lost. Bloody castle is just to big!" she laughed. "And don't mention it! That's what i'm here for. It's my job as a prefect, plus i'm just a naturally curious person. Some people consider it nosey, but I like to think of it as healthy curiosity!" Kat dropped the blade of grass on the ground beside her and pulled her legs into indian style. "So what was it like at Durmstrang? I've heard its cold there."

Kiriyama snorted a laugh, then covered his mouth as he chuckled. He looked up through some fallen strands of hair and cleared his throat. "Yeah, it's pretty cold there. Part of my uniform was actually a brown parka; I even wore it in classes." He picked a few blades of grass and wondered if everyone at the school would be so easy to talk to. "So, uh, what's Gryffindor all about?"

"A brown parka huh? So did it look like a bunch of giant grizzly bears walking around all the time?" Kat asked as she grinned her goofy grin. She raised one eyebrow at his question, having a feeling she knew what he was getting at. "Hmm, Gryffindor....let me see. Well for starters history says that I should be your mortal enemy. Slytherins are supposed to be sly, cunning, and in general evil. Gryffindors are supposed to be brave, daring, and chivalrous." She paused for a moment to take in his reaction before she continued. "I say BAH to the whole thing," she said as she threw her arms up for dramatic effect. "I have friends in Slytherin who are perfectly decent human beings and that I think the world of. And well I don't really think I possess too many of the qualities of a Gryffindor. Now if it called for dorky, shy, and awkward then i'm your girl!"

Kiriyama shook his head as his face broke out into a smile. The girls back at Durmstrang were just like the weather; cold. He was more than a little surprised by the girl who sat on the grass with him, but he didn't mind. He was surprised that he was supposed to hate Gryffindors, but the things she said described the type that he usually fought with. So, I guess it makes sense. "Well, at least you aren't a textbook Gryffindor." He said, holding his smile and picking more grass. He had the habit if tying the blades of grass in knots; and looking down at the small pile he was building of knotted grass, this was no exception. "If you were, then I'm afraid I'd have to curse you right here." He smiled, but smaller than before.

"Nope, i'm not textbook Gryffindor at all!" she beamed. Kat couldn't help but bust out laughing at his comment about cursing her. She quickly hopped up threw her balled up fists in front of her face and shouted, "Bring it on!" She stood for a moment in her 'boxer' stance before shrugging her shoulders and looking at her hands saying, "Not that these will do me much good if you did decided to curse me." Kat sat back down beside Kiriyama and pulled her knees up to her chest, wrapping her arms around them and resting her chin on her knee. "So besides me and the other boy from Durmstrung have you made any new friends?" She quickly berrated herself quietly Great...just assume that he wants to be your friend...you goofus!

Kiriyama laughed at the girl and threw some of the knotted blades of grass at her while she stood in her fighter stance; though he was sure she didn't feel it. He smiled at her as she sat down and shook his head. "I met a girl named Brandi in the Common Room. She seems nice, so I suppose I could call her a friend. Then I met two other Slytherin girls, Zoe-Hope Weasley, and Katrina Redding." He chuckled, thinking about his 'almost fight' with Katrina. Then he looked at Katalina, "Well, there's you too. I suppose you're a friend." His voice had mock sarcasm in it as he teased the girl.

"Hmm, don't know anyone named Brandi, but I do know Zoe and Katrina. Well, in passing at least." she said in reply and then added, "I'm shocked and appauled that you only suppose that i'm a friend." Kat gave him a look of mock horror and astonishment. She then threw her hand across her heart and fell over onto the ground, "I'm deeply hurt by that! I don't think my poor heart will ever recover." She just laid there for a minute, looking at him out of the corner of her eye and then popped back up into a sitting position. She looked at Kiriyama with another goofy grin and teased, "Okay! I'm over it!" What has gotten into you? You never find it this easy to talk to a complete stranger....let alone act this weird. she thought to herself with a chuckle.

Kiriyama laughed genuinely as Katalina threw herself on the ground. He was surprised at how quickly they had become friends. He wasn't the type that ever had many, especially girls. Maybe Hogwarts is the better school after all. "Okay, so maybe I don't suppose. But we can never let it get out that a Slytherin and a Gryffindor are friends."

"OH! Of course we can't...I have a reputation to uphold. Cross my heart I will never tell another living soul!" she said jokingly as she crinkled up her nose and stuck her tongue out playfully. Kat laid back in the grass, putting her hands behind her head and let the sun shine warmly on her face. "So tell me something about you that I don't already know....tell me all about the mysterious 5th year transfer student that everyone's dying to know." she said sincerely with a smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back