Bloody Magazine.

Carmen knew the story well, her grandmother had a large tome of it with the most beautiful illustrations. Carmen had craved that book almost as much as she craved her favourite Alice in Wonderland but the words were very difficult. The German version not apparently as amazing as the English version, much lost in translation. She had decided only this year to ask for her own copy for Christmas.
"I know the book" she beamed, "my family were greatly grieved when it was first published as Tolkien used our surname for one of his hobbit characters but I don't know if that is true at all. He could have named Peregrin Took after an English branch of Peregrin's" she smiled at him.

"I'm going as a book character too, my favourite actually. Alice from Alice in wonderland but I'm not going to be all sweetness and light like she is. I will have blackened eyes and a blood splattered apron and a cleaver. That pesky rabbit won't stand a chance".

Carmen laughed again. Charlies company was refreshing, there were so many students who tried to be what they weren't. She liked this and hoped herself and Charlie would become firm friends.

Charlie chuckled as he listened to Carmen explain the situation of her last name. He was relieved she knew the book, it meant she wasnt completely cut off from the muggle world. Or maybe Lord of the Rings was actually a non-fiction book in the wizarding world. Charlie wouldnt be surprised. "Well, Im going as Merry, because apparently I look like him from the movies. Have you seen the movies?" He asked. The book was one thing. It was hard to read and Charlie couldnt remember most of it from when he had read it. He noted that he would have to attempt again. The movies however were fantastic. His mind clicked in that perhaps it was a sign that him and Carmen were going to be good friends. Considering her last name and Charlie's coincidence with Halloween costuming. Charlie needed a close friend.

Charlie laughed when he heard what Carmen was going as. "Brilliant idea!" He commented. Thinking it was a rather good costume. He tried to picture her in an outfit and knew she would look good. Was he really thinking that? It so wasnt like him...

Carmen shook her head.
"I've heard of them but I've never seen one. My grandmother and grandaunt who are muggles don't believe in them. Well they are very old and insist that the television only corrupts the mind. I would love to see one though, they have made a movie of Lord of the Rings? I'd love to see it" she sighed, the wonderous inventions that muggles came up with always amazed her. She really would love to see moving pictures like that, as strange as it all sounded she simply would love to figure out how it all worked.

"Thanks Charlie" she beamed another one of her dazzling smiles his way, delighted that he liked the idea of her costume.
"To be honest, I hadn't even thought of one until the other day. I'm not very good at that sort of thing".

Charlie grinned. "I'll have to show you some time." He said when she admitted to not having seen the movies. He found himself loving Carmens company. Any anger was completely forgotten.

"Yeah, Im not too great at stuff like that either, I dont really know how I came to think up being a Hobbit. Wasnt even going to go, but thought it could be okay." Charlie shrugged.

Carmen stared for a moment at Charlie before a slow smile spread across her face. Even her eyes seemed to sparkle.
"You'd actually take me to see a movie? really?" she was beyond grateful, this was probably the luckiest meeting she had yet at the school. She had made someone she knew would be a great friend of hers and he was also offering to show her muggle things that she had never even begun to imagine before.
"How would we go? Is there one near here?" her excitement got the better of her and she blushed, "I'm sorry Charlie, I guess having never seen one I am a tad too eager".

Charlie found a smile on his face as Carmen began talking about movies. It was still kind of weird to be talking to someone that didnt know what a movie was. "Well, Lord of the Rings wont be out in the cinemas, but I have them on DVD back ho-" Charlie stopped realising that if she didnt know what a movie was, she most certainly wouldnt know what a DVD was. He shook his head. "Next holidays Ill show you." He said, before adding quickly, "Well, if you want that is." His voice was soft as a wave of embarassment washed over him for a moment. He found himself wanting to spend as much time as he could with his new found friend. Charlie thoroughly enjoyed her company.

Carmen couldn't help but be fascinated when he began talking rather animately about movies, a thing called a cinema and a DVD. She didn't know what any of those things were except for the movie bit and even that was hard to actually picture in her mind.
"Really?" she smiled again, couldn't seem to help herself around Charlie, "You'd like me to go to England on the Christmas break so you can show me a movie?"

She thought it was quite possibly the sweetest thing anybody had ever offered her.
"I would love to Charlie of course I will have to ask my parents and more importantly my grandfather and it would only be for a day or two. Would your parents mind me travelling in and out by the floo network?"

Her enthusiasm was over flowing, she hoped she wasn't being too eager.
"Gosh, you were probably only being polite and weren't expecting me to actually say yes were you?"

Charlie grinned at her answer. His smiled wavered slightly at the mention of his parents, they probably would never allow him. Why hadnt he thought of that... Even if they did say yes, Charlie would never want Carmen to meet them. They just werent nice people. He kept his smile, "Yeah, Im sure it would be fine." He said, he could make up an excuse later, he didnt want to destroy Carmen's enthusiasm.

He shook his head when Carmen said he was only being polite. "I was hoping you would say yes." He said softly, with a small chuckle. He diverted his eyes to the floor and forced himself not to feel disappointed that he probably wouldnt be able to spend time with Carmen these holidays.

Carmen noticed the slight hesitancy and how downcast his eyes became. She wondered at this for a moment and then smiling once more as she did not like to see her new friend upset in any way she reached out and tugged his sweater.
"Have you ever been to Germany? At Christmas it is most spectacular. I have a muggle grandmother, she is very crazy but not because she is a muggle. I think it is because my maternal grandfather left her for another man. I guess that would make me crazy too. My fathers family detest them but I find my grandmother and grandaunt humorous and it was they that introduced me to lots of wierd and wonderful stuff" she was getting off track so tried to back up a little, "we go to visit them on occasion, especially at Christmas. There is no television or video there but in the village about three miles away there is a movie house. That is what it is called isn't it? Well that is what my grandmother calls it but ... if you come and spend some of Christmas with me, we can go there. Together. It won't be any fun on my own and I wouldn't be allowed to go on my own anyhow. My family will be simply thrilled I am making friends and that you are a Slytherin."

She knew this to be true so kept smiling at him almost willing him to agree to go.
"Oh, do say you'll come Charlie. If you write and ask them sooner rather than later, you can even come back straight after school lets up for the holidays".

Charlie listened as Carmen explained and shook his head when she asked if he had been to Germany. He had never left England until his trip to New Zealand. Carmen knew alot about her family history, Charlie knew practically nothing, considering he only just found out that he was a wizard and that he had a cousin in this school. It was because his parents never found it important to tell him about their family.

At the thought of visiting Carmen on the holidays, Charlie grinned widely. "That would be great." He admitted, meaning every syllable. Did he really just get presented with an excuse to get out of his house? He had never been invited anywhere. He was surprised by how great it felt. He had a friend, a true friend. His smiled widened at the thought. He knew if he continued smiling much longer his jaw would ache, he rarely smiled and he found it incredibly enjoyable.

Carmen waited patiently for his response hoping he would not be offended by it in any way. When he eventually said the immortal words that it would be great, she could not contain herself but almost squealed with joy. Kaleb had not been able to give her a definite answer at all but Charlie had within moments. He would be her very first friend coming home to visit, her very first friend visiting ever. She really hoped he would not be overwhelmed by her home but figured he would be more likely to be overwhelmed by the great bear of a man who was her grandfather.
She quite literally bridged the gap between them in seconds and threw her arms about him in delight. Sure they had only met properly a few short hours ago but Carmen felt like she had known him for so much longer than that. She released him, still very giddy with excitement.
"Charlie that is brilliant, I am going to run and write to my family immediately to let them know you will be coming." she beamed brightly at him again before running as fast as she could to do exactly as she had said.

Charlie was taken aback when she hugged him. He didnt think he had ever been hugged in his life. Oh sweet Merlin, he hadnt! He didnt find it a bad thing though. He wrapped his arms around Carmen in return after only a moment. He smiled shyly over her shoulder where she couldnt see him doing it and when she pulled away, Charlie dropped the smile and replaced it with a casual grin instead. He couldnt allow her to see the goofy smile.

Charlie barely had time to comment before she was running off going to tell her family. He supposed he would have to tell his family. They probably wouldnt care that much even if he didnt. He couldnt believe it. He had a reason to get away from his house! Charlie realised the goofy grin had slipped onto his face again and he wiped it off before he exited and made his way to the Owlery to tell his parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back