Before We Forget

Zoe Harkness

OOC First Name
- stacey -
Wand
Black Walnut 12.5 inch Essence of Meteorite Dust Core
Zoe pulled Kira along excitedly, running up the stairs and nearly tripping in her haste. But they both managed to keep their footing, before heaving the door open and walking inside.

She had written in a guilty manner to her oldest sister after seeing that Kira had received a letter from her sister, and she could not help worrying that maybe her letter was a little all over the place. She had mixed in all of her classroom experiences - every lesson and every embarrassing moment - with all he catching up that Mariah needed. Zoe only hoped that Mariah could read her rushed and crazed scrawl.

You know something, Zoe started, frozen in place. I have never actually sent a letter. How do you do this? The Gryffindor blushed sheepishly, smiling at Kira and hoping that she knew what to do.

Kira followed Zoe, wondering if Tyra would actually be surprised that Kira brought someone home with her or if she expected it. Of course, Zoe still had to ask her mom. That made her a little nervous, wondering if Zoe's mom would say no.

Still, Kira had started planning activities for over break so Zoe wouldn't be bored with Kira's library of a room. She kept it clean enough, so that wouldn't be an issue. They reached the Owlery quickly.

Once they were there, though, Zoe paused. Kira looked to her, and the blond asked how to send a letter. Kira giggled, going over to Aro. "Well, where does your sister live?"

She^s studying at Harvard, Zoe said, And its during the school year, meaning she^s currently living on campus - so she^s in Massachusetts, Zoe ended. Then she frowned. Hey, is that not a bit far?

Zoe could not imagine Aro or any other owl for that matter, flying all that way. Was there not a limit in how far you were allowed to send letters?

Kira tied the letter to Aro's leg, thinking. "You know what, I have an idea. Do you have the exact address?" She reached into her bag. Aro sat there, watching the two of them patiently. She pulled out a small piece of paper and a pencil. "If you have the address, my sister can send it to her. It'll take a little longer, but that way we won't be sending an owl to a muggle college."

Zoe nodded at Kira^s suggestion. Yeah, I think that will work out better, she realised. She gave Kira the exact address of where Mariah was staying - careful to specify which number dorm it was.

She then could not help laughing a little. The idea of an owl delivering her letter to Harvard actually seemed a little comical - and there was no doubt that Mariah would laugh. But the muggles would not find it funny...or her mother for that matter.

Thanks for offering to do this, Zoe grinned. Mariah will be a little surprised, but she usually has an understanding for circumstances like this.

Kira smiled as she finished scribbling down the address, adding a little note of her own for Tyra. She took the letter from Zoe and tied it to Aro's other leg. "It's no problem, really. I would die if I couldn't talk to Tyra. It's the least I can do. After all, we are friends now, right?" She teased lightly before giving the little owl a kiss. He nibbled her finger softly. Kira giggled. It seemed to be his way of showing affection. The little owl took off then, knowing the way back to the inn by heart.

She turned to Zoe then. "Hey, Zoe, do you know what the Yule Ball is?" Kira inquired, twirling a strand of hair around her finger. She'd been hearing whispers of it around school and she had an intense interest in it that she couldn't really explain to Tyra just yet.

The Gryffindor handed over her letter to Kira so that she could tie it to Aro.
Of course we^re friends now, she teased a little too, nudging the Ravenclaw. She loved that she could feel so at ease with Kira around.

Zoe watched patiently as Kira tied the letters to Aro^s legs, and give him a little kiss. She smiled, suddenly wishing that she had a pet owl. Then Kira snapped her out of her thoughts and metioned something that made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end.

The Yule Ball.

Zoe was nervous to admit it, but in the Harkness household, The Yule Ball was known as a Harkness disaster waiting to happen. For some odd reason, every time a Harkness attended one, something would always go wrong. And so the last ball any of them had ever gone to had been the twins when they were in Second Year. Kira seemed excited about it though, so she thought she would hear her out first.

Yeah - it^s been mentioned, she shrugged casually. Why?

Kira rubbed her neck a little nervously. "I kind of want to go, but I don't want to go alone. The only boy I know is really just as awkward as I am, and I don't want to make him go when I know he'd be uncomfortable." She nudged Zoe playfully. "I was hoping maybe... we could go? It's not a big deal for first years, we can take friends and be okay. It's cool if you don't want to," Kira added quickly.

"I don't mean to force you into anything. I just thought that music and food and dancing might be fun."

Zoe listened very carefully to Kira. She giggled softly about the only boy she knew was just as awkward as she was. The only boy I know doesn^t really know me or me him, she admitted. Not that I would want to go with him - ew. She shook her head, imagining it.
Truthfully, she wanted to go to the Yule Ball - especially if Kira wanted to go too. It would take some convincing, but if she succeeded in persuading her mother to let her go, there would still be one issue: a dress.

She was not particularly against dresses - she just could not stand her mother and her ideas of what kind of dress suited her. She hated everything frilly; pink; puffy; and flouncy. Silk was out of the question, and any other fancy fabric would get ruined within ten minutes of wearing it. Shopping for fancy events was next to impossible for Zoe Harkness.

I would love to go, the Gryffindor said in contrast to the excuses she had in her head. I just need to check with my mom and see if she^ll pitch in - which she probably will. The blonde drooped. I wish I could wear what I wanted, she muttered wistfully.

Kira laughed. At least she wasn't the only one with boy troubles. Not that she was really interested in any of that- she spent far too much time with her studies to bother with any of that romance nonsense. When Zoe said she would go to the ball with her, Kira very nearly hugged her- until she heard what the blonde muttered.

Kira grinned devilishly. "You know, Tyra and I can help with that." She hinted, coming in close and circling Zoe. Kira held her chin in her hands, taking note of Zoe's measurements. She had learned a thing or two from her sister, and she could easily get Tyra's help. "Who are we trying to please? Your parents?"

My...mother would never let me go in what I would want to wear, Zoe said shyly. She says a lady should wear a proper dress - but I know for a fact that I would find a way to mess everything up, she huffed, frustrated.

She liked the idea of Kira asking Tyra to do something though. And slipping things past her mother was relatively easy considering she was the youngest; she could get away with anything. In theory.

I have an idea, Zoe suddenly said, gripping Kira by the shoulders and looking very serious. In order for my mom to say I can go, I^m going to have to pretend that I want to wear something outrageously girly. Then, at the ball, I can change into something more my style! She^ll never know, the Gryffindor added in a low voice, her eyes wide. Then she grinned. All this scheming was making her feel rather giddy.

Kira snorted at the lady comment. "A lady doesn't let anyone see up their skirt and knows their manners. My sister is a lady. What your mother wants is prissy stereotypes." She had rounded back to the front when Zoe grabbed her shoulders and declared "I have an idea!"

Kira raised a brow and listened to the other girl. She couldn't help but grin at that. "Well, I'm glad we seem to be on the same page. I'm thinking... a dress, but much more simple. With leggings, and boots instead of heels. Something cute but practical." Kira met Zoe's eager eye. "Your brothers don't go to school here, right?"

Zoe was glad that Kira had similar ideas to hers, and she nodded when she said what she thought of her mother. Mrs Harkness had always been a stickler for tradition and all that old fashioned nonsense (as though they didn^t live in the 21st century...).

She loved the suggestions Kira made for an alternative ball gown. A simple dress and leggings plus boots instead of heels sounded so much better and comfortable than anything her mother would have picked out for her.

Your brothers don^t go to school here, right? Kira asked for confirmation rather than genuine inquiry.
Uh, Zoe averted her gaze, Actually, the twins - Henry and Louis - they^re Fifth Years here. Then she paused. And they would totally tattle-tell on me, she added sadly. Unless..., her face then lit up and her smile came back. Well...unless I do something to keep their mouths shut.

Kira thought on Zoe's response. "I can probably help. What would it take to buy the twins silence? Tyra can stock us with sweets for a year. I'm probably smarter than they are so I could do homework. Maybe we can bribe them with custom clothes of their own." She thought out loud, pacing among the owls.

Zoe was ever so grateful for Kira and her offer to help with bribing her brothers. The only question was, with what?

Henry and Louis were a lot pickier than the rest of the family thought - Zoe would know; she often passed them on her way to and from classes - and pleasing them was not as simple of a task as it appeared. First, she would have to keep them from blackmailing her into putting in a good word for them in addition to her own. The twins were for more trouble than she was, so that may be more difficult. Second, Zoe would need them to keep quiet about her changing at the Ball. That could be taken care of easily enough.

Well, they will definitely be interested in that sweets-for-a-year proposition, Zoe chuckled. She paused, thinking about the other options. Doing their homework is not going to work - they once turned studying into a competitive sport, the blonde shook her head. But custom clothes of their own? Now that is something I think they might like. Fashion has always been a priority of theirs, she sighed. The good thing is, that there is no need to find out what they like - because I already know it, the Gryffindor said smugly. I think we could bribe them with just that.

Kira nodded thoughtfully. "I can get what we need from my sister day after tomorrow. What are their weaknesses? My sister makes a killer mud pie, and I still have some Taffy. If we can get an idea of what the twins' style is Tyra will put together a few sketches for us- that way we can show the boys what we're bribing them with." Kira grinned deviously.

Zoe thought for a moment. They would totally kill for taffy, she nodded. And candy floss too. And in terms of style, they really like fashion from Newt Scamander^s time - very old fashioned and gentlemanly. I remember that every Halloween they would both dress up as him - all before getting a severe telling-off from our mother of course, Zoe giggled. She was never too keen on Halloween.

The Gryffindor loved Halloween - it gave Mariah an excuse to use magic without raising suspicion. When the twins were not under house arrest and were in a considerably good mood, they would let Zoe tag along on their pranks for the night. Zoe always pulled off the non magic jokes - but now that she had a wand too, pranks in the Harkness household could get interesting.

Tyra is literally the best for doing this, Zoe commented. My sister would be a lot more stubborn and in need of some bribing herself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back