Closed As promised

Renata looked down at her menu as though it was the most interesting thing she'd ever read, though she was hardly taking anything in. She'd always been told she took after her father - meek and more inclined to stand on the sidelines and support people, maybe do something bold here and there like he'd done in chasing after her mother, and in stepping away from the family, but otherwise be a bit of a wallflower. She didn't really have any talents or anything special about her. Except magic, but that wasn't really anything out of the ordinary. "I...don't know," she admitted. "I haven't really found anything I'm very good at yet." She'd tried, joined a few clubs, tried playing Quidditch, pushed herself to get decent marks in all her classes, but she kind of felt like a bit of a fraud most of the time.

She'd never really been called brave before, surprised that her compliment was turned on her like that. Leaving Durmstrang had been more necessity than choice, but it had still been something she wanted to do. "I guess maybe I'll find something eventually," she shrugged, trying to hide the slight colouration in her cheeks. This was certainly a strange feeling, to be encouraged like that. "Ah...thank you."

Lexi shrugged, "You'll find something. And when you do, you don't let go, alright?" he asked, "there's loads of time to find something," he grinned, before tucking his own head back into the menu. "Talking of which, my stomach is running out of time before it's gonna get angry that I've not eaten yet." It wasn't long before a waiter came over to serve them, asking for their options and hurrying off to serve other customers. The third year folded his arms over the table, trying to think of a way to lift up their conversation. Getting all deep and stuff was fine for a little while, but Lexi certainly preferred to keep things light hearted when he could. "So tell me, which house do you think I'd make? I'm throwing it out there now, I will look god awful in yellow." he grinned, really hoping that he didn't make Hufflepuff for more than just one reason than the colour of the robes, but curious to see which house she'd place him under, since she knew him a little better than she'd before. "And don't say the snake house either, I can't imagine those dungeons are actually nice to spend free time in." The idea of the Slytherin dorm rooms was worse than Durmstrang in winter.

Renata was glad of the waiter's appearance for a distraction, ordering a sandwich almost at random and trying to avoid the own growling of her stomach. At least there was enough ambient noise to block it out. But she nodded in agreement with what Lexi said. There might not have been anything for her, but she could at least support her friends in their dreams. That would be enough, really.

Renata's jaw dropped when Lexi asked about houses. "Okay, can you read minds as well as futures?" she practically gasped, considering she'd been pondering that very question herself. "I could totally see you in Slytherin, the snake house, because you're ambitious. But sleeping in those dungeons would be miserable," she agreed, with a slow nod. "Hmm...lion. Gryffindor. People who are brave. And probably full of themselves," she joked, giving a little smirk at that one. She didn't really think Lexi was full of himself, at least not that much. "Red and gold is a bit nicer than yellow and black, yes?"

Lexi gave a disgruntled moan when Rennie said he'd been good in the snake house, although he hadn't realised that was the house for ambitious students. "You think I'm ambitious?" he repeated, mulling it over in his head. "I'm ambitious for a nice warm bed thank you," he grinned, knowing he would probably do everything he could if he transferred to stay away from the wet underground base that housed some of those students. Besides, ambitious for what exactly? What if like Durmstrang students they were just ambitious to best one another and it would quickly turn into a bloodbath? "See, red and gold, I could pull that off," Lexi was surprised to hear that Ren didn't think he was full of himself, he certainly felt like he had a large ego although maybe it was beginning to soften around the ages the more time he spent with the Hufflepuff. "What's the other one? The blue one? That would match my eyes," he fluttered his own eye lashes in confidence, although he wasn't sure he'd be best placed there either. "You know what, I'll just go for whichever dorm is nearest the divination stuff. Or the library. I don't know, something where I can go and tell the future really quickly from," he wasn't even sure that was a thing, but he was just excited at the prospect of being able get involved with a topic that most interested him.

"Well, kind of? You have a goal in mind, something you wanna do. That's kind of ambitious, isn't it?" Maybe Renata was oversimplifying it, though. Most of the people she spent time with in Hufflepuff didn't have any grand overarching goals. They had things they kind of wanted to do, but nobody really seemed to have a definitive thing they were working towards and would travel across the world to achieve, at any rate. That seemed pretty ambitious to her. "Ironically for you, the Hufflepuff dorm is closest to the library," Renata explained, although he had a point about the blue suiting his eyes. As weird as that probably was to say - as such, she declined to comment. "Though I guess Ravenclaw - uh, the blue one - might suit you. They're up in the towers. I guess a strong interest in being a seer might put you more there than Slytherin," she pondered, nodding as she contemplated it. She tapped her chin as she thought, in some kind of rhythm. "One of the houses up in the higher floors, I think."

Lexi thought about it for a moment, but he wasn't sure that his one goal of pursuing one interest was enough to condemn him to the basements. "I hope not," he mumbled under his breath. He was going to have to have words with whoever decided where he was placed, or whoever controlled that hat. "Ah, of course it is," he gave half a chuckle when thinking about the image of being back in Hufflepuff, dressed in yellow and sat in a castle. Somehow it wasn't something he could imagine or picture for himself, and as much as Ren seemed to be satisfied with her house, the same couldn't have been said for Lexi. "I'll take the blue one, besides if it's really high up maybe it will keep me out of range of most of the other kids," he figured it must have been quieter if it was a higher floor, no one would likely go up there unless they really had to.

The waiter reappeared shortly after, laying down a few plates in front of the pair, and Lexi quickly tucked into his hot ciabatta, grateful for the chance to actually eat something. "You know, I still haven't told anyone about your letters. Heck I haven't even told them I want to move," Lexi admitted, wondering how it would go down when he told his friends he wanted to move away just for a "stack of old cards" as some would say.

Renata nodded, maybe Ravenclaw did suit him. It was hard to know what fit someone into Ravenclaw, there were some very smart and analytical people in Hufflepuff and Slytherin too. "You're not mean enough for Slytherin either," Renata said, kindly. "Or else you wouldn't be here. Having lunch with me, specifically." She picked up her sandwich, taking a bite and looking somewhat relieved as her hunger began to fade. Now she just had to not drop avocado on her shirt, or something. "I don't think telling anyone you're writing to me would um, help your credibility," she admitted, a little embarrassed. "My family name is, um, not really respected." Plus she'd been a gentle and easy target. He'd probably get laughed at for associating with her on a more friendly basis. "Could always just up and disappear like me, but maybe you should tell them?" Renata wasn't really sure in this scenario. "Once it's set in stone, anyway."

Lexi chuckled at the idea that he wasn't mean enough for Slytherin, his parents would certainly think so. Even most of his friends at Durmstrang would probably think so, so it was nice to make a change that someone seemed to see the good in him, or at least enough of the good the counter act the bad. He looked away from Ren as he realised she was right, it wouldn't help his credibility at all if he told the others about how often they spoke, even more so that he'd actually gone and had lunch with her. It wasn't something he wanted to agree with, but he knew deep down that it was true, and he wouldn't hear the end of the teasing. "I can't imagine just, leaving, not without giving anyone a proper explanation," he said truthfully. Whether that was his friends or family they deserved to know what was going on with him, didn't they? "But you're right, I'm not going to worry about them until I need to, and right now the only thing I need to do is enjoy myself while I'm here," he smiled, picking up his drink, and gently clinking the rim of the glass against hers. For all he knew, he wasn't even going to get to Hogwarts, and his worry would have been time wasted.

"Salute," Renata gave as a cheers, speaking it with a strong Italian accent on the word. Her accent was a bit of a mismatch, but it was quickly becoming more neutral sounding except when she said specific words. She hoped it was more charming than annoying, but she couldn't be too sure without asking people and that would just reek of desperation. At least she knew she was right about the credibility thing. It was nice of Lexi to want to talk to her but unfortunately it had to be a thing of keeping it secret, for his sake. "Yeah, only an idiot would do that, just leave without explaining things properly," she joked, a little self-effacing, though she couldn't help but smirk at him before she took another bite of her sandwich. Swallowing, she gave a more genuine smile. "Who can know what the future holds? Except you will be able to, of course."

Lexi grinned and took a sip from his drink, glad that their lunch date was going well, before tucking back into his food. "I hope so," he said through a mouthful of bread, after thinking it would be pretty cool to be able to see into the future and what it entailed, or could possibly entail for him and his friends and family. He finished his mouthful, taking another sip of his drink before continuing. "Do you ever miss your friends? From back home?" He asked, knowing that it would be weird not to see his friends faces every day. Of course he could write to them or visit them, but he knew moving would be a big deal and it would take time to get used to being in a totally new environment. Lexi didn't believe that he was the only one Rennie would write to, especially that before she'd left they'd been barely more than acquaintances.

Renata almost choked on a mouthful of food at the question, reddening as she spluttered into a napkin and hurriedly gulped down some water. Somehow, for some reason, she hadn't exactly expected that question. Didn't know why that would be the case, but she hadn't. "I, uh..." Taking a deep breath, she righted herself and looked away, embarrassed. "I didn't exactly have any friends." It sounded so pathetic to say out loud, she thought, but it was true. There were people she was acquainted with, like Lexi, and a couple of others, but mostly she kept to herself, shrank into corners so nobody would notice her, desperately keeping her head down and counting down the days until she could go home. Not that home was much better. Rosa had been the first to say she was leaving - Renata had been the one to beg to take her, too. Even though it wasn't as though she'd be able to follow along as a musician or anything. It wasn't a total lost cause - she'd made quite a few friends at Hogwarts, after all. "So I'm probably not the right person to ask for advice there."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back