And Still I Am Sitting

Leah Mustard

OOC First Name
Kathy
Sexual Orientation
Matthew Harper
Wand
Straight 12 Inch Flexible Alder Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
Leah had mixed feelings about entering her fifth year at Ilvermorny. So far she had been managing to handle herself quite well when it came to assignments and exams throughout her four years of school, but the OWLs were a different matter. These were proper qualifications, and if she wanted to teach one day she was going to have to do well. Better than well, perhaps, surely the best marks possible would help to establish a good case for her dedication and focus? A complete set of 'Outstanding' grades wouldn't be easy to accomplish, though. She was sure there were many who thought she was just clever and that's how she did so well in her classes, but Leah knew that she'd be doing far more averagely if she hadn't been trying so hard to put her best effort into everything - she was well known for always having her head stuck in a book and a quill practically glued to her hand.

The problem this year was that she didn't quite know what to expect when studying for OWLs. Would her normal study routine be enough, or would she have to change it to accommodate the more intense material they'd be covering? Leah already had a plan to deal with this unknown variable, of course - she would simply ask an older student about the workload and see if they had any advice about handling it. Right now in fact. Or... soon. Silently berating herself, Leah tried to think how long she had been sitting here planning to ask the seventh year at the table next to her about the exams. Too long really, she thought to herself - think of the OWLs. Casually turning to address the older boy, she hoped that she wasn't about to interrupt him from anything too important. "Er, excuse me... but, would you mind if I asked you something? Quickly." Leah gave him a small smile. "I wouldn't want to take up too much of your time."

Caleb Zhefarovich was away from the dorms for once, and out in the library. The seventh year was studying really hard on potions since he didn't seem to have a talent for them like his sister. He was struggling in a lot of grades because of his mom and her hard times. Caleb was a good boy, a lot like his dad, and took after the Baros family. He just did not have their name. Caleb was writing down some notes on potions, the ingredients, and all that. His charms were all right, but his only great grade would be in Care of Magical Creatures. He loved them and was hoping to be able to help them more than anything. He did not want to do anything else. 'I just hope that mom let's me do that since she wouldn't let us play Quidditch.' Caleb sighed as he continued on, trying to make sense of everything else. At least he was not taking Divination. That class would have made him fail. He jumped a bit when someone asked him something. Silver eyes looked up to see a slightly younger girl looking down at him. "Actually, I need a distraction. Have a seat," Caleb motioned toward the empty chair in front of him. The Horned Serpent closed his potions book and ran his fingers through his hair. "What's up?"

Leah sat in the seat the boy indicated, slightly taken aback by how readily he had agreed to her request. "Oh... thank you." She normally hated being interrupted from her own studies, although she was always polite to whoever had done so - perhaps this boy was the same? Mindful of her promise to make her questions quick, Leah adjusted her glasses nervously before laying her hands in her lap so she couldn't fidget with them. "I was just wondering if you would be able to tell me anything about the OWLs - I'm going to be sitting them this year and I know they'll be a lot of work, so I wanted to be properly prepared." She noticed she had begun fiddling with the hem of her robe sleeve under the table, and forced herself to return her hands to her lap. So much for not fidgeting. "Do you have any advice about handling the workload, or anything else from the student perspective that the professors might not think to mention?" Out of habit she quickly scanned the study material in front of him, wondering if he might have some methods she could incorporate into her own routine.

"You are welcome," Caleb said, hardly waiting for the end of her thanks. He was eager to do anything but study. Someone that could distract him. Best of all, it seemed like she as from his own house. Caleb spent most of his time within his books of magical creatures that he did not socialize that much. Had he been in Durmstrang or another school with his surname, then he would more or less known. Thankfully, there was hardly anyone here that knew of him. And his family. It was the best burden lifter ever. So, she was two years below him. Caleb reached around and scratched the back of his neck, thinking of a useful answer. Merlin, he needed Chloe for this, but then again, she seemed to be more into boys than academics. "Um, they aren't easy. I had to study for a month on my worst subjects. I think asking for older students for help on spells and things they have already mastered would be better than another fifth year. Sadly, there's no one older than seventh year to use that method with the NEWTs." Caleb thought that his answer was absolute trash. But this was Caleb. He didn't really have great skills talking to girls.

Leah listened carefully to the older boy, nodding along as he spoke. "That's a good idea about asking older students for help, thanks." Now, if only she didn't find it so hard to actually approach people she didn't know very well. Feeling a thought roll suddenly to the front of her consciousness, she paused, then decided to ask anyway - what harm could come from it? She was already talking with him, after all. Pulling her hand away from the sleeve of her robes again, Leah said, "If you don't mind me asking... what subjects do you have an easier time with? I tend to do alright in the theory, but some of the more practical classes can be difficult sometimes..." Her focus on books and notes tended to be a crutch in these classes, as she was often nervous to cast a spell or begin a potion without knowing exactly what the outcome should be and how to get there. Preparation was the key, but Leah just didn't know how much time she'd have to prepare in detail for everything she needed to know. Anywhere that she could gain a head-start would be appreciated, and she found herself crossing her fingers under the table to hear the boy's answer.

Caleb was a little surprised that his answer made sense to her. Well, he could see why. He might have been channeling someone else. Someone with common sense. He sighed, a little relieved. Caleb ran his fingers through his blonde locks before smiling awkwardly, "Oh, anything practical and doesn't require a lot of memory work. And Care of Magical Creatures. I really love them." It was clear that he was passionate about that. Though it did seem that he would be able to help her. Practical things he could do. Except potions. If he had a list of ingredients, then he would know what to do. If not, then he would be making acidic smoke and sludge. "But if you are struggling with spells, I can help. Some of them might not be the best to practice here." Some of the spells were a little on the destructive side. He could name a few off the top of his head. But he did hope that it wasn't potions. He was studying it and couldn't remember the potions he did a few years ago. Just what he did this and last year. Caleb wished that he was a little more attentive in class.

Leah's smile became more pronounced as she listened to what the boy had to say, slightly amused at the differences as she was. "We sound like the opposite of one another, then." She was especially pleased to learn that he enjoyed Care of Magical Creatures, an elective that Matthew had talked her into choosing and she had subsequently been making her way through by the skin of her teeth. To her surprise, her next question had been anticipated and Leah was momentarily caught off-guard by the way he had offered a relative stranger his help. For some reason she hadn't been expecting it, even though she had planned on heading in that very direction herself. "Oh, thank you! I'm not completely hopeless, but I'm just not confident enough I don't think. I have this silly idea that my spells should be perfect the first time I cast them." She couldn't help slightly laughing at herself for such an admission. "Though most often they never are, so yes, spells would be good to start with I think. Although," Leah realised suddenly, "I wouldn't want to take up your time without offering you something in return for your trouble. Does anything, er, come to mind?" She didn't know if there truly would be something she could help with, but felt it important to at least offer.

Caleb chuckled when she mentioned that they were the opposite. It sure sounded like it. "My sister and I are different too. For a twin, she certainly doesn't act like me. She's smart, but doesn't care. Never has to study for anything. I, on the other hand, have to study a lot." It was really dumb on how that spread. He assumed that he took after his dad. He didn't know his dad too much, just that he died in a Quidditch match. Caleb could relate to Leah with her confidence level. With him talking about his sister, and comparing her to him, it seemed like he didn't have any sort of self esteem. Probably one of the reasons why he couldn't talk to girls that much. "Confidence is a big thing. But the spells are harder the older you get. I don't even get my spells done on the third try. Just gotta keep trying." Caleb started to pack his books into his bag, ready to help her on her spellwork. Swishing and moving the wand was a key factor too. "Um, no, not really. I'm more than happy to have a distraction, so you are kind of helping me anyway." Caleb could have been a sleazy guy and asked for a kiss or a date, but none of that even crossed his mind.

Leah couldn't help the small twist of her mouth at hearing him describe his sister, and she hoped it was out of wry admiration rather than jealousy. "I have to study a lot, too; I'm certain I'd be doing a lot worse if I didn't. Is she nice though, your sister?" Perhaps it was none of her business to ask, but Leah was interested in siblings in the way that only someone without them could be. She'd often wondered what it might be like to have them, but she'd gone off the idea of discovering a long-lost sibling ever since finding her friend Matthew in that very situation last year. Nodding at the latest advice she had been given, Leah smiled. "That's what I tell myself, but it seems to be much easier said than done - it would be nice if I were more intuitive, rather than getting stuck on the thinking. Perhaps having someone around to help won't give me time to think," Leah said thoughtfully. She didn't notice that her hands were no longer playing with her sleeve hems as she watched him begin packing away, and nodded once, glad that she was at least a little useful to this boy she'd randomly interrupted. "My name's Leah," she offered as she rose from her chair, realising that an introduction was probably in order.

Someone else had to study a lot too, which made him feel just that much better about himself. Caleb wanted to do his mother proud, though it seemed like she wanted to move to New Zealand because of how nice it was, if she hadn't already. The boy shrugged his shoulders, "She can be nice if she wants to be. Though if she is too nice, she just wants something. Chloe loves making friends and isn't prejudice at all." Chloe seemed to really dig older men. It was kind of scary, but she could hold her own rather well. Chloe was also a momma's girl. Caleb was not prejudice either, since blood status was the least last thing on his mind. He just wanted to study animals. Especially magical ones. Caleb thought over her words, and figured that it might help. Caleb gave her a gentle smile, and nodded, "It should help more than anything, really." Caleb stood up to his full height, which was six and a half feet. Definitely realizing that he had not mentioned his name at all, he introduced himself after she did, "I'm Caleb Zhefarovich." His last name was a mouthful, but he was raised to always say his full name.

Glad that she didn't seem to have overstepped in asking the question, Leah listened actively to the description of his sister. The girl sounded quite different from herself, and she was slightly relieved it hadn't been her whom she had randomly approached. Thinking she perhaps understood what kind of prejudice he was talking about, but not being completely certain, Leah just replied, "That's, um... good I guess. The last part, I mean," she hastened to correct herself. "The middle part isn't so - but I shouldn't even be saying such things, it's none of my business; I'm sorry." Mentally telling herself off, Leah wondered why she hadn't just stuck to the neutral topic of studying. There wasn't too much room for unintentional insulting remarks if all you were talking about was course material requirements and the best way to hold a wand when casting a certain spell. As she tucked her chair away, the boy also introduced himself and her level of fluster increased. "Oh sorry, Leah Mustard," she said, emphasising her last name with a slight blush. She hoped Caleb wouldn't think she was terribly rude for not introducing herself properly, and her fingers began toying with the edge of sleeve again, concerned that after her earlier slip-up she may have now irrevocably annoyed him. She couldn't quite bring herself to ask what the plan now was, and tried to put off asking for a just a moment while she picked her bag up from where she had left it at the next table.

Caleb couldn’t help but chuckle a bit. The girl named Leah seemed to be a little bit nervous or something. Maybe awkward. He could understand though. Chloe always wanted something, and he never knew what it was half the time. She got the grades she wanted. Chloe was the poster child of perfect. Caleb just hoped he would not be a screw up. Caleb replied with a subtle smile, “It is perfectly okay. It is my sister, so you are just going by what I know. You don’t have to apologize.” Caleb figured that she was similar to him, always having to struggle. But she seemed to be more into theories than practical work. However, her last name did seem odd. Was that not a condiment or something that goes on a hot dog? He did not joke about that since anyone could joke about his own last name. ”Pleasure, Leah. Let’s go to a spare room and I’ll help you with your spells.” After this, he would likely go back to his own work. Any sort of distraction will help him. Plus, she was cool. Caleb could see that much. He was incredibly laid back and chill, so it would take a lot to get him to react negatively. Sometimes, there was just no use in reacting like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back