An Unlikely Happenstance

Sophia Stark

OOC First Name
Kaela
The Library had always been one of Sophia’s favorite places at Hogwarts New Zealand. It held a wealth of knowledge that she desperately wanted to master. That and the overwhelming number of younger students crowing the Slytherin Common Room and Dorms made the Library the perfect place for the sixth year, who desperately needed to catch up to her classmates.

Sophia was a bit distracted as she roamed the aisles of books. She was donning her uniform without robes, her black messenger bag slung across her torso. The teen’s black hair was straight and down, as per usual, and her grey eyes were scanning book titles as she walked.

The Slytherin was not exactly watching where she was going and soon found herself hitting not air, but something solid. Stopping in her tracks Sophia whipped her head around to face the person she had run into, her hair flipping around behind her. She opened her mouth to say something mean but quickly snapped it shut upon seeing that It was Kiera standing in front of her.

”Hello Kiera,” Sophia greeted very formally. She was staring down her nose at the Gryffindor with a blank stare. Kiera had always been a tad too happy for the Slytherin’s standards, and there was her relationship with Bruin. But after all the hostility between her and Ford the sixth year was a bit tired of fighting.

Kiera had entered the library to get some information on a paper she was doing for one of her classes. She walked among the bookshelves til she found the section she was looking for. Kiera walked down the isle and stopped 3/4 of the way through. She read the titles, seeming to be skipping over the very book she wanted. Kiera finally found the title she wanted and streached her arm out to reach it. Right at that moment, she felt a hit against her. She stumbled but managed to keep herself upright.

Kiera turned to see who it was who had bumped into her. She didnt immediately recongnize the girl who stood infront of her. The girl greeted her by name and Kiera narrowed her eyes as she finally realized who the girl was. "Sophia?" she asked in disbelief. She looked into the older girl's eyes and saw why she was unfamiliar. Sophia's once golden eyes were now a silver color. I wonder why her eyes changed color? she thought to herself. Kiera smiled at Sophia. "Its nice to see you back at Hogwarts." she said pleasantly.

"It is? Sophia found it a bit hard to believe that anyone would be happy to see her back. More often than not the Slytherin had caused trouble and drama everywhere she went. Not that she had not done some good while she was here though. Sophia was an excellent Quidditch player, had led the Future Leaders of Magic, and was an officer in the Sorority. Truth be told she kind of missed all of that, but the sixth year was not expecting to be welcomed back into everything just like that. After all, she had been gone for a year and a half.

"In any event, I suppose it is not too terrible to be back here. How have you been?" It felt odd to make small talk and Sophia immediately started to feel nervous. Her right hand traveled to the strap of her messenger bag and started to fiddle with it as she awaited an answer from Kiera.

Kiera smiled more brightly at Sophia now. She hadnt been sure before how the older girl would react to Kiera's conversation. Sophia had the reputation in the past of being reluctant to talk. It seemed that was slightly deminished. "Of course it is." Kiera informed her. Why wouldnt it be? she wondered to herself. "The first years seem to be taking over the school. Its nice to have an older student return" she said with a smile. Kiera had grown tired of all the pranks and annoyances the first years this year were causing.

Sophia asked another question but Kiera was slightly distracted by her fidgiting. She tried to ignore it as she responded, "I have been quite well, thank you. Owls this year are a bit stressful to me which is why I came here." Kiera said with a small laugh. "How have you been?" she asked with true interest. Kiera iched to ask why the eye color difference but refrained. She didnt want to be rude after all.

Sophia smiled despite herself. Whereas the friendliness had once sickened her the Slytherin found herself actually enjoying it. It was strange how things could change like that. Once Sophia realized she was smiling it was gone, her face returning to its normal blank slate.

It was not a surprise at all to hear that the first years were taking over the school. The sixth year felt like she was surrounded by tiny little peons wherever she went. Making friends with some of the older students would be imperative, so as to keep her sanity. Sophia had grown used to having friends when she was on the road with Shane, and try as she might to keep to herself she knew she would go crazy with no one to talk to.

"I have been pretty good actually." Sophia had no idea what Kiera had heard about her disappearance, if anything. She purposely had ignored the papers, although it would not be a surprise if nothing was said about her parents. It had been a strange incident and many people did not know what to make of it, Sophia included.

"You know, if you ever need help studying, I could be of assistance. If you like, of course." Sophia's tone was a bit hesitant and completely unlike her. She looked at Kiera with raised eyebrows. Would the Gryffindor accept study help from a notoriously evil Slytherin?

Kiera's eyes almosted popped out of her head as Sophia offered to help her. That had to be a first! Kiera could hardly believe her ears. When Kiera had known Sophia before, the older girl had liked to keep her privacy and distance. She even saw what looked like a happy smile on the girl's face! It took Kiera a moment to recover. "I would appreciate the extra help. I can do with all the help I can get for OWLs." she said with a friendly smile.

Kiera had no idea why Sophia had left Hogwarts New Zealand. As long as the older girl was having a conversation with Kiera, she thought she would ask. "To be honest, I forgot why you had to leave school. Did something happen?" she inquired as she tried to remember what she had forgotten. There had to be a reason, just like their had to be a reason for her sudden reapperance.

Sophia was glad to hear Kiera accept her offer for help. In truth it would probably help Sophia a lot to study with Kiera. She was a little behind and it could not hurt to see what the fifth years were studying.

The noirette immediately bit her lower lip when Kiera asked why she left school. Quite a few things happened, and not all of them were easy to explain. Sophia had successfully avoided thinking about her parents for the past year and a half and she really did not want to explain the situation to everyone.

"Well...yes, something happened. But...here is not the best place to explain it." Sophia gave her surrounding area a cursory glance before looking back at Kiera. She actually looked a little worried. "Perhaps another time?"

Kiera noticed Sophia's worried glance at their surroundings as she asked Kiera to wait for the answer to the question. This confused Kiera. Was there something to hide? What had happened to the older girl in the last year? Did it have something to do with her silver eye color? Kiera bit her lip. She would respect Sophia's request and not push anymore questions on the older girl. Kiera put a smile on her face.

"Of course. I can wait for a good story." she said with a pleasant voice. Kiera was certain the story would be juicy if Sophia didnt want to tell it in public.

A relieved smile made its way to Sophia's lips. She gave a nod to Kiera, fully intending to explain why she had left later on. Well, if she could work up to it. Sophia had yet to fully explain everything to anyone except Ford, which the Slytherin now viewed as a horrible mistake.

"So, when did you want to study?" Sophia was hoping for sooner rather than later, but she was content to let the Gryffindor decide.

Kiera grinned back at the Slytherin, happy to see her smile. Kiera considered the question for a moment before she replied. "I guess now if you have the time. I intended to study now anyways and you are welcome to join me if you wish." she invited. The sooner the better after all. OWLs were no such thing to be procrastinated. Kiera smiled at Sophia, waiting to see if she would take Kiera up on her offer today.

"That sounds good to me." Sophia let her smile strengthen before erasing it from her face. It still felt a little odd to smile in front of her peers.

"I will just go grab a table then." The Slytherin did not have any better ideas. She had not been looking for anything in particular so she had no book to find. So, she turned and headed off to find a table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back