An unfortunate event

Mohindra Vallumbosa

Mohindra darted down the hall on silent feet, running as quickly as she could. She was going to be late for class if she didn’t hurry. Tardiness would require an explanation and Mohindra didn’t really have one. Worse than that though, was the fact that many teachers chose to exploit tardiness publicly, a method that Mohindra had experienced many times in her years as a muggle student and one that she dreaded quite powerfully these days. And it was these things that she was focused on when she got to the stairs, these things that she weighed to her mind like a wet blanket as she sprang up the steps.

When the staircase shifted, her senses so muddled with her stress that she didn’t feel the movement, her gaze so solidly concentrated on the steps beneath her feet that she didn’t see until it was too late.

She stumbled forward onto nothing but thin air and plummeted, her hands reaching out desperately for some kind of hold to cling to but there was nothing. Oddly enough, even for her, she didn’t scream. Perhaps she didn’t have time to. A strangled, startled gasp escaping her lips instead, just seconds before she cracked her head on the edge of the stairs, seconds before she fell out of reach for anyone to have grabbed her. She must have blacked out then, because suddenly she was opening her eyes again. Several feet below her, another staircase was shifting… and it was moving directly into the path of her rapid descent.

Epsilon saw his sister fall and he saw it from the worst possible angle too. As cruel irony would have it, he’d been standing on the flight below hers, the one that had shifted in time to intercept her, when she… stepped off the staircase. That’s how it seemed to him at least.

Fate, however, seemed to have a lot more cruelty in store. Nothing could have been more horrific than what seemed to be happening… except having to watch it and suddenly realize that there was nothing, absolutely nothing, that he could do to stop it. He was too far away and she was falling too fast for him to even have a prayer of catching her. Perhaps there was some kind of magic that could have stopped the fall but he…

Being a Squib had never bothered him before but… in that moment he couldn’t have hated himself more.

Mohindra hit the stone steps hard. In several places she heard something crack, and with each of them, pain exploded and tormented her body with such force that she couldn’t even pinpoint where she’d been hurt. No one could have imagined the agony she felt at that moment but it wasn’t over. The momentum of her fall must not have fully expended with her impact because suddenly she was falling again, or rather tumbling, down the stairs, pain lashing throughout her body with every step she struck.

Seconds seemed to drag into hours before she finally stopped, collapsing in a crumpled and broken heap at the foot of the stairs. Her vision swam and blurred with pain, unbidden tears creeping down her bruised cheeks. The room was spiraling out of control, her perception of light momentarily damaged to a point beyond distinction, so that the people gathering around appeared as nothing mores than featureless shadows before her eyes.

Bruin had just left the library and was returning to Gryffindor when he heard a sickening thud, followed closely strange, almost inhuman cracking sounds. He turned the corner to see the girl whom he had only recently met at Gladrags lying in a crumpled heap at the bottom of the stairs. Her limbs were twisted at unnatural angles and it appeared to Bruin that she must have suffered a major fall. He hurried over and noticed an older boy that he didn't recognize rushing to her aid as well.

"Wha...what happened?", Bruin stammered, looking around frantically for others whom he might send for help.

Epsilon shoved his way toward his sister, reaching her as quickly as he could. He knelt down beside Mohindra, frantically feeling for a pulse, before responding to the stranger.

"She... I think she..." he was going to say jumped but he thought better of it, even if it was what he really thought. "She fell from the flight overhead. It shifted... maybe... maybe she didn't see it."

Turning back to his sister, he gently brushed the stray locks of hair away from her face, taking extra care not to move her neck. "Mo," he said softly, his voice straining over the lump that was quickly forming in his throat, "Mo, can you hear me?"

Lily had been heading up the stairs to the Ravenclaw Tower from classes when she heard a strange thud. She ran up the last few steps to the landing on the Fourth floor and saw a girl crumpled on the ground, Bruin and another guy standing around her. "Oh my goodness! What happened? Is she going to be okay?"

Mohindra groaned, the sound so strangled within her throat by pain that is was barely audible. Everything hurt but some things more than others. Her right arm felt odd and her sides felt as if they were on fire. There was a deep, throbbing pain in her hip and her head... felt strangely numb and light.

Groaning again, she tried to lift her head but the movement sent the world spining again, so instead she moved left arm (she couldn't get her right arm to respond) and felt the back of her head. She didn't feel any new pain but her fingertips came away drenched in blood.

"Epsilon," she whispered frantically her eyes wild with shock, "Epsilon!"

Bruin looked at Lily, glad to see a familiar face. "It looks like she feel when the stairs shifted.", Bruin said gesturing to the stairs above them. "I think we better get help. I'll run to the Hospital Wing if you two stay with her." Without waiting for confirmation, Bruin tore off as fast as his legs would carry him, spurred on by her frantic cries and hoping that someone would be able to help the girl.

Lily was on her knees next to the girl when she noticed the girl was starting to come around. Bruin stated he was going off to get help. "Run fast Bruin!" Lily yelled after him as she saw the girl's head was bleeding. She then turned to the girl. "Hey. Bruin is going to get you some help. I'm Lily. Can you move your other arm?" She noticed that she was only moving one arm.

"Shh, Mo, it's ok," Epsilon said gently, trying to sooth his sister as best he could. "Can you tell me what happened?" It wasn't exacty the best thing to ask but it was all he could think of on short notice and he had to keep his sister preoccupied. He was terrified that at any moment the girl would go into shock and Lord knew what would happen to her then.

Abby arrived at the fourth floor corridor, where she figured the hurt student was located, since there was a group of people standing there.Running up the stairs she began to shout,"Get out of the way!The nurse is here!".After getting, Abby saw a young girl, and she was in fact bleeding form her head."What happened?!?" Abby asked as she began to look thru her bag.

Mohindra struggled to think for a minute but it was difficult to even think coherently at the moment. She had started to shiver uncontrolablly and she couldn't seem to stop.

"I fell..." She muttered weakly at last, her voice breaking into a frightened sob."I fell, I fell, I fell."

Abby could tell the girl was scared, even she was afraid of what might happen to the girl if she wasn't helped fast."It's okay, calm down." Abby said in a soft voice.Abby took out a small object that looked like a pillow, placing it in the spot where the blood seemed to be coming out of."I can't do anything here," She started."The two of you carry her to the Hospital Wing." Abby said pointing at the boy that had gone to get her and the older man, who she tought must be a relative or something."You I need you to hold that in place." Abby said to the other girl while pointing at the pillow looking object.

Bruin looked at the older boy, who he had heard Mohindra refer to as Epsilon and assumed was the older brother whom she had spoken of at Gladrags. "Alright, let's just be sure to protect her head and neck.", Bruin said as he placed his arms beneath the girls upper back and legs.

Lily listened as the nurse gave instructions to each of them. She moved to grab the pillow-like thing, holding it to the girl's head. She watched the movements of the others, ready to move with them.

The world was starting to spin again for Mohindra and her preseption of light and detail seemed to be worsening. One minute everyone was a featureless shadow and the next, the shadows begin to blur, making it difficult to see where anyone was. If anyone was there at all.

Panicing, she clutched desparately at her brother's shirtsleeve, as someone else started to pick her up. "Don't leave me," she sobbed frantically, "Don't leave me, again."

Epsilon froze, staring into his sister's troubled eyes, an icy fist closing around his heart. Don't leave me, again... the words echoed hollowly through his mind, slowing time to a sickening crawl as realization dawned. She was talking about the night of their parents death and the years that had followed, the years that she'd been taken away from him. She thought... did she really believe that he'd abondoned her, that he'd left her to the very mercy of Hell's grasp?

"I'm right here," he said finally, prying her hand off his sleeve so he could clasp it within his own. "I'm not going anywhere." He looked away, emotion threatening to overwhelm him.

Abby watched as they carefully began to carry the girl."Hurry now! We need to get her to the Hospital Wing quickly."Abby said concerned on what might happened if the girl didn't get some help quick.

Mohindra's sight was getting worse and everything was starting to feel fuzzy around the edges. The spinning had stopped but a cold, sinking feeling had replaced it, numbing her pain and lessening her senses. She let her head lull against the hands that held her, no longer having the strength to support it.

Slowly, her eyes slipped shut and the sounds of what was going on around her grew distant. A world of darkness enveloped her but before her consiousness was fully lost, she could have sworn she saw a woman trailing close behind her, a woman she recognized.

Her mother.

Lily could feel the girl's head sink into her hands. "How fast can we get her to the hospital wing?"

Bruin looked at Espilon and Lily, knowing that they would have to speed up together in order to ensure Mohindra's safety. "Alright, let's move a little faster then!", Bruin said nervously as he quickened his pace slightly, hoping the others would match his speed.

Epsilon picked up his pace to match the other's, glancing nervously at his sister. She seemed to have fallen unconcious and he didn't really know how bad of sign that was.

Shifting his grip on her, carefully, so he could free one of his hands, he reached down and took hold of her broken arm, which had been flopping awkwardly away from her body. He rested it gently across her chest at a somewhat comfortable looking angle where it wouldn't get in the way. He grimaced, taking note of which arm it was. Mohindra was bound to but up a fight over showing that arm in order to get it fixed.

At any rate, they made it to the hospital wing quick enough. Epsilon glanced at the nurse for further instruction.

Abby walked quickly behind them, she could tell that the girl was in real bad shape. "It shouldn't take that long." Abby told the girl."We should get there any minute now." She added in.

(((Feel free to start an RP in the Hospital Wing whenever you want. :) )))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back