An Owl This Big?

Kyle Cavanaugh

OOC First Name
Khushi
Wand
Ebony Wand 15 Essence of Phoenix Talon
Since Kyle had first seen the pet cat of their neighbor, he too had wanted a pet. After few years it came to any pet as long as he could have an animal of his own. His father had always said that he was still a kid and could not have a pet as he was incapable of taking care of any pets let alone himself. These words had always made the young boy sad and he wished for the day he would get a pet. He always thought that it did not matter what kind of pet he had as long as he was allowed to have one but that was until today. Kyle had been eating his breakfast in the Great Hall a little satisfied with himself as he had been following his study time table for the exams and was on track of revision. Suddenly there was murmur all around the Hall and the loudest noise was from the Gryffindor table. Kyle took his eyes off his toast and looked at the source that had caused discomfort amongst the students. His eyes landed on two birds that were flying towards him and carrying parcels. He quickly recognized one as his family owl, Birdie. In the next second both the owls landed on the gryffindor table causing his plate to be pushed aside and the parcels to land in front of him. Many people in the Great Hall were looking at him and Kyle who was not usually nervous turned red. Somewhere in the hall he heard someone say 'Look at the size of that bird' and it made Kyle realize that the other bird that now stood infront of him was very huge. It was almost 72cm long and god knew how heavy. Kyle untied the letter from its leg as he watched the bird who stared back. Quickly removing the letter from its envelope, Kyle read.

Dear Son,

How have you been? I'm sorry I haven't written to you since you left for Hogwarts but your mother has assured me that you are doing just fine. I have to say I was hoping for you to make it into Ravenclaw after me but it seems you are more like your mother. Congratulations anyway. I had been very busy with the new model of the broomstick that we are designing. It has a lot of faults currently and needs some serious work and will not be released into the market for some time. More on business later.

To make it up to you, your mother and I decided it was time we allowed you to have a pet. I hope you like this breed of owl. Its the Blakistons Owl, the largest species of owl available in the market. This is a female and according to shopkeeper weighs about 4kgs. I say we have made a very good deal and got it for 45galleons.

Your mother says you should name it soon so she gets used to its new owner and give it owl treats as often as possible. Also we are sending you an owl cage. I know you have an Owlery at Hogwarts but you'll be needing the cage more often than you think.

Your mother informs me that you have been selected as an alternate for the team. Well thats not good is it now? You have the best broom and I'm sure you're flying skills are good. Have you played in any games so far? Good luck for your exams. I hope to see all Outstanding. If you fail to get that we shall have to reconsider your flying hobby and your position on the team.

We'll pick you up at the station at the start of your holidays. Be on your best behavior and wear suitable clothes, I'll probably be driving some business associates when I pick you up.

Love,
Patrick Cavanaugh.

Kyle could not believe what he had just received from his father.First pet and all was great but this big bird, an owl this big. Kyle would never be able to carry it in its cage. Kyle wanted a snowy owl or a cat or even a toad or something but a bird this big. It was a little intimidating. He petted Birdie on the head and offered it some toast which it nibbled while Kyle took another look at the owl that now belonged to him. He knew what he had to do for starters he asked Birdie to get in the cage which it did after much resistance. The new bird a little confused and looking more scary now followed Kyle as he took the cage and the letter and started making his way up the staircase of the castle. The owl flew behind them following its new owner.

Kyle had heard of the Owlery but had never gotten a chance or a reason to be there until today. He climbed the staircase of the tower and the smell was very strong. Dead rats mixed with bird poop. Kyle tried to ignore it and walked into the room with a cage in his hand in which Birdie sat very annoyed of being treated this way and following him, his owl.
He put the cage on one of the stone walls as he watched all the owls looking at them. Some of the owls were even a little surprised to see an owl of this size. Kyle released Birdie from the cage and then put some water for both the owls. He was scared of approaching the new owl. It was still staring at him. Kyle stretched his hand a little and touched the birds head stroking a few feathers. The owl seemed to like this as it moved closer and drank some more water clearly tired of its overseas journey. Kyle wondered what to do next with the owls. One thing he needed to do was find the new owl a spot in the Owlery and also name it. "What should I name you?"he asked the owl as if he was expecting an answer.

Hayley passed the thin cream envelope to her owl. "Desta," she addressed the striped owl watching her from the draughty stone ledge. "I need you to take this to Landon." She looked the owl dead in the eyes. The owl stared back. She reached up to stroke the owl's head feathers, and Desta recieved this with an affectionate nip. Hayley smiled at the bird. "Good. You can stay at Landon's for the night. I'm sure his owl wont mind sharing a cage." Desta made a small 'coo'. The owl brushed itself against Hayley's outstretched hand. Hayley giggled, a pearly smile spreading across her childish face. "I'll give you a cuddle when you get back!" She laughingly told the owl, who seemed to understand and straightened up. Desta shifted to the opening of the ledge, flicked out her wings, stretched, and took off. The bird had only been gone a minute before a voice surprised Hayley.

Turning in her place, Hayley noticed another student, a young boy of about her age, standing in the owlery. He too seemed to possess an owl of his own. And he spoke to it. Her eyes widened at the size of the owl. "Wow," she said, unable to contain herself, "that owl is huge!" Realising suddenly how rude this open comment must have seemed, Hayley cleared her throat and added "Sorry.. I've just not seen one so big at Hogwarts. Is he.. Or she your first?" A smile crept across her face at she looked the boy over. Had she been a few years old and interested in boys, she may have appreciated what a handsome young lad he was. But as it so happened, Hayley had no interest in boys, just yet. She preferred the company of a good book any day.

Kyle was so lost in his own problems to notice anything else.The two owls were watching him expecting some treats or something. Kyle did not keep owl treats with him and had none at the moment. He walked over to one tray that he spotted and picked up some treats for the owls. They both seemed to appreciate this gesture and started eating the treats. He was still in shock of what had happened in the past few minutes. As he thought of the name that would suit an owl, he heard a voice of a young girl exclaiming. He turned to see who the voice belonged to and saw a familiar face he was sure he had seen in some of his classes. He watched out of the window as an owl flew away from the Owlery. Clearly it must have been her owl and she was here to send some letters. He watched the owl that was flying away. It was striped and with average size. No crazy overlarge owl.His cheeks turned red again embarrassed as the girl said she had not seen such a large owl before. Well, neither had he. He wondered where his father had bought it from. He knew his father well and to get something out of the ordinary he could go to any lengths. For a second, the thought of owning such a large owl being illegal crossed Kyle's mind too but he shrugged it off. He could never be sure with when things were concerned with his father being involved."Umm.. its okay. Its very big, anyone would be surprised" he told the girl, his British accented English being heard more clearly than it normally would, as he was a little tense and shocked.

After the first shock of being discovered with such a big owl after the total scene in the Great Hall, Kyle tried to calm down and took a few breaths as he watched the owls finish their treats and drink some water. "She's my first. My dad just gifted her to me. He likes all things to be unique and apparently he thought a big owl was majestic or something" he told the girl as he opened the cage for his owl to go in. It seemed to watch it reluctantly and not move any closer to the cage. Well, this was going to be harder than he thought. At that moment he noticed a small part of the letter which he seemed to have missed due to the shock.

P.S Its natural habitat is riparian forest, with large, old trees for nest-sites, near lakes, rivers, springs and shoals which don not freeze in winter. It might not adjust easily so I would suggest you better let it be where it likes.

Kyle read the attached note and felt like using a swear word that he had heard his dad use all the time. "All I wanted was a normal pet but I get this huge owl which might not want to go in its cage and instead wants to make nests in old trees in the forest" he said to the girl explaining the owl's reluctance of entering the cage. He did not know why he was explaining her all this but it seemed like he could not handle this on his own. It was ironic. "You've got a nice owl. What have you named it?" he asked the girl wondering if she could help him with ideas for naming his owl. He watched Birdie as it entered the cage. She seemed tired and Kyle was glad that at least some bird would be using the cage for now. "This is Birdie. She's my family owl" he told the girl wondering if she thought 'Birdie' was a nice name for an owl or not. They had this owl for a very long time and Kyle did not remember how they had decided to name it with its current name.

Hayley admired the majestic creature, though made a point to keep her distance from its beak. Beautiful and magnificent beings were usually the powerful ones that could rip you to shreds in a moments notice. Her own owl seemed petit in comparisson. And on the subject of Desta.. Hayley could only hope the bird would make it to Landon's place alright. The weather was often changing and she worried for the owl's safety. Still, when Desta returned there was sure to be a lovely fresh mouse as a reward.
Hayley nodded to the boy. "Well," she chortled, "she's definitely unique. Honestly, I don't think there's another owl that size at Hogwarts. I only hope she doesn't have trouble delivering the morning post to the Great Hall."

It was surprising how aware of her heatbeat Hayley had become, but in the first few seconds of seeing the enormous owl, her heart had started to instinctively pound in her slender young chest. "Thank you. Yes, it's Desta," she beamed in response to the boy's question. "It's East African," she explained calmly, drawing a deeper breath to slow her heart's thunderous beats, "it means 'joy'."
Her eyes drifted to the regular sized owl and she smiled. "That's more like it," she joked, shifting her weight between her feet, wondering if, perhaps, she should have made that trip to the girl's toilets first. "Hello, Birdie," she addressed the bird, before returning her glance to the boy. "Have you got a name for the.. The super-owl?" She looked to the creature with a tilted intrigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back