An Early Morning

Samantha Thatch

Wand
12", Elm, and Phoenix Feather
Sam meandered in, her eyes averted towards the ceiling. She had spent many afternoon's here, working on her homework, finding a spot to relax, drawing owls, or, quite frequently now, perching herself upon a window ledge, and gazing out across the grounds, simply enjoying hte weather, and the magic of it all. But this was her first time in the Owlery in the morning. She liked the feeling.

The sun was just peeking over the edge of the mountains in the distance. Snow was gently falling. The effect of the florescent coloation of the sunrise, mixed with the falling, sparkling flakes of snow was beautiful, almost hypnotizing. Sam took a deep breath of the air as she poked her head through the window. A breeze picked up. The smell of the snow was wonderful - the most wonderful thing she had ever experienced. She felt suddenly seperate from the world, and barely noticed as Sky landed on her shoulder, and gave her an effectionate nibble on the ear, ruffling his wings and resting one upon her head gently. She absently ruffled the white feathers underneath his chin, her eyes closed, and a pleasant smile upon her face.

Caysi walked up the steps humming to a tune wich wasn't fimiliar and saw someone and got closer and realized that it was Samantha. " Hey Sam!". she said smiling going over to her.

She turned around, and after a strange comical look of surprise, she gave grand crooked smile, and a small, yet cheerful laugh. "Hey Caysi!"

It was evident that she had change over the course of the break. Her once shoulder length mousy brown hair had now grown longer, more unruly, and had gained a rich, brown quality. Her pale skin had darkened slightly. She had even grown a few inches, making her nearly as tall as the she was conversing with. Most apparent was her attitude transformation. She seemed carefree, optimistic, almost extremely friendly - though in a lazy, 'whatever' kind of way. But one thing hadn't changed - her eyes. They were still that shocking, icy grey color.

She ran up, causing Sky to hoot indignantly, and fly up to a nearby banister, eyeing his owner fiercely, ruffling his feathers indignantly, and gave Caysi a grand hug. Stepping away, her smile grew. "How was your break?" she asked, her eyes twinkling.

Caysi returned the hug and said " Mine was awesome!". she said smiling. " How was yours?". she said showing Sam her new dyed and cut hair.

Sam shrugged, closing her eyes momentarily, trying not to relive the long, monotonous, boring days in the common room with no one else to bother her. "Can't say the same, I'm afraid." She opened her eyes, and, astonishingly, noticed Caysi's new hair cut for the first time. She gave the a surprised, but happy look.

"Wow! You look great. I love the new doo," she said, her crooked grin growing larger.

Caysi smiled and said " Thank you!"." I could do your hair if you would like..". she said randomly.

Sam paused thoughtfully, narrrowing her eyes up at the ceiling. She did like the sound of that...But she wasn't quite sure she was ready for something that different.

"What are you thinking of?" she asked, her tone thoughtful and light.

Caysi smiled and said " Maybe a blonde...or blonde highlights....whatever one you would like." she said smiling.

"Hmm..."

She looked up thoughfully again, looking through her options. Maybe just a few gentle blond highlights - nothing extreme, but something nice and pleasant, something to make her seem sunnier. She suddenly gave Caysi a grand, crooked smile.

"Sure! Just a few highlights, maybe. Thanks for the offer, Cays."

{ooc: :D That's what I'm getting in RL! Brown hair with highlights! How wierd!

Caysi smiled and said " Awesome...when would you like to do them?". she said patiently.

( OOC : lmao! That is wierd :p )

"When ever," she replied casually, putting her hands behind her head. "It doesn't really matter. When are you open?"

Caysi smiled and said " Anytime". she said looking in her purse for the color to see if she has it.

Sam waited quietly, peering into Caysi's purse, hiding her impatience behind a wall of a curious facial expression.

Caysi smiled as she looked through and found a box for highlighting hair. She said " I found it". as she gave the box to Sam to read that she wanted highlight's for sure.

Sam read the label carefully, and, after a small, pregnant pause, she looked up, giving her companion another lazy, crooked grin.

"Alright! This sounds like fun. Anchors ahoy, captain," she finished, handing back the box. "Just, not full steam, okay? Just a little here and there."

Caysi took back the package and said " Alrighty...". as she opened it and took out the tools. She turned to Sam and said " You might want to sit". she said half laughing.

Sam gave a half-laugh, and turned around slowly, letting her eyes travel around the room. She quickly spotted a short stool not far off, and brought it over, setting it in front of Caysi, and sitting down, her back facing the .

"Ready?" she said a little nervously. She had the sudden urge to bite her nails...

Caysi laughed and said " Im ready....are you?". she said smiling getting the hair dye ready.

"As ready as I'll ever be," she replied, clutching the edge of her stool nervously. She clenched her eyes shut, and brough her mouth into a strained, thin line, as though she were waiting for a crash impact.

Caysi coloured random peices that would bring out Sam's hair. " Now...the tough part...you have to wait for 30 minutes and then we can wash out your hair.". she said putting the tools back.

Sam had the strangest feeling just then. Ther was one part of her that wanted to groan and protest, saying that she was much to fidgety to stay still for thirty minutes, and another part of her that wanted to simply say that she could deal. So, she took the second option.

"I think I'll just nap it off," she said, yawning broadly and stretching her arms wide. She crossed them, leaned back in the chair, slouching, and closed her eyes, falling to sleep immediately.

Thirty minutes passed by in a flash, but Sam still remained asleep, snoring slightly.

Caysi took out a magazine that she read for 30 minutes. She looked at her watch and went to Sam and said "Sam...Sam..Time to wash your hair.". she said smiling.

Sam jerked awake, looking absolutely flustered. "Whah'sgoinon?" She looked around slowly, with half closed, sleepy eyes that fell upon Caysi. It took her a moment to comprehend.

"Oh...right...Alrighty then." She sat up strait in the chair again, and leaned back, waiting.

Caysi washed it all out and went to her bag and got a mirror.She showed Sam and then said " I think it looks so cute!". she said almost squeeling. She passed the mirror to Sam to take a look at her new hair.

SAm took the mirror, looking slightly tentative, before she looked at herself. Through her brown, dark hair, there were now small, streaks here and there, and, although it looked very much different, she was already liking this new look. She gave Caysi a huge, crooked smile, before she practically tackled the g.irl in her attempt of a hug.

"THANK YOU! THANKS SOOO MUCH!" she shouted, practically bouncing on her heels in her excitement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back