Alone

The sound of a low groan rumbled from a nearby tree, causing it to shake violently. The branches swayed and dropped dead limbs, some of which were rather large and potentially deadly, while the groan subsided into a mumble as a ghostly figure stepped out of the tree. His features gave an occasional glint as a stray shot of light bounced off his translucent body, and the runes on his sword and shield glowed dimly with an ethereal light.

"You want to leave?" He mocked, his deep voice rumbling, "But the centaurs will miss their quarry. They have been dissagreeable of late, and wish for some students of whom they may make examples." A violent grin cracked his face as he spoke, "They do not care for intruders."

Just as Bruin was aout to answer Sophia, an unearthly sound began in the trees not far from them. Instinctively, Bruin began backing away from the sound slowly, not taking his eyes from the tree from which the sound seemed to be originating from. Bruin wondered whether it was a Whomping Willow, but soon discarded this idea when dead limbs began crashing down from the tree and the ghost that he had met in an earlier trip into the caverns below the school appeared.

Bruin didn't appreciate the tone that the ghost was using, but did appreciate the beings power and his warning, if not the way it was delivered. Bruin had a great respect for the forest and the creatures in it and felt compelled to respond. "We are not attempting to intrude upon anyone's territory and have actually treated the forest with the respect it deserves. I would hope that the Centaurs would see this if they were here, but maybe some other time. We were just leaving..." Bruin replied in a respectful tone, gathering up as much confidence as he could muster.

Sophia's golden eyes widened as she heard the rumbling. As a branch landed quite close to her she jumped instinctively and moved closer to Bruin. Their sides were brushing each other as she saw a familiar ghost step out from between the trees.

She listened silent to Conri speak with as expressionless a look as possible. Sophia calmed slightly when Bruin began speaking, her expression relaxing and looking more blank. Not knowing what to do or say, Sophia merely stood and stared at Conri, waiting for someone to do something. Bruin had said they were just leaving, but he had not moved, and Sophia did not want to lead the way out. Instead she stood frozen to her spot.

"For a mortal," Conri growled, as if the term stained his lips, "Such a course of action would be recommended." He greatly enjoyed harassing the centaurs, their inflated sense of importance amused him greatly. "The centaurs' interpretation of respect can be more rigid than mine," a slight hint of disdain slipped into his voice briefly, "In fact, you should shout halfbreed, it would be amusing." He devilish sneer cracked his face, he looked as a Roman watching a gladiatorial fight, eager for bloodshed.

Bruin didn't take his eyes off the ghost, but knew that Sophia was close as he felt her at his side. He also knew that it was time to leave before he said anything back to the ghost before them. Bruin hated prejudice and didn't appreciate the emphasis that the ghost had placed on "mortal" and "half-breed", but opted to hold his tongue.

"Thank you for your suggestion, but I don't treat others with disrespect unless it is warranted. Have a good day sir." Bruin turned to Sophia and placed his free hand on her shoulder, gently ushering her back out of the forest the way that they had come. He leaned towards her and whispered in her ear as they began to walk. "Keep your head up, keep moving, and don't turn around, no matter what happens. If I say run, just run and keep going until you are out of the forest."

Bruin didn't suspect anything more would happen, but he had no intention of lingering around to find out. His right hand settled on the handle of his wand as they began to move away from the ghost and the heart of the forest and towards the safety of the school grounds.

Sophia watched Conri as Bruin spoke. She was slightly surprised when she felt his hand on her shoulder, ushering her out. A confused expression came over Sophia's face as she walked beside Bruin, listening to his hushed words.

On the one hand, his protectiveness was slightly flattering; but on the other hand it was a bit irksome. Did Bruin not think Sophia could take care of herself? She resided to let him be the protective male and walked beside him toward the edge of the Forest. Sophia remained silent, an impassive look on her pale face.

Conri began to laugh a dry and dead laugh, absent of joy or mirth. He watched the youths walk out of the forest, vainly trying to hide the suspense or anxiety which was trying to override. The centaurs did not care for the reasons the boy gave, if they had heard him, they would have scoffed at him and put an arrow through his femur for his absurd statements. Conri, however, was pleased at the boy's reaction and faded into the tree from whence he had appeared until the only remaining vestige of his presence was his roaring laughter which slowly faded into nothing.

As they were approaching the edge of the forest Bruin heard the ghost's rather lonely laugh and a chill ran up his spine. He continued walking until they had emerged onto the lawn and then stopped abruptly. "Sorry, but that guy gives me the creeps. He's the same one we met in the cavern under the dungeons last year and both times I've met him, I've got the distinct impression that he doesn't much care if people live or die."

At that point, Bruin was distracted by a fluttering overhead and barely had a chance to react before Legend descended upon him. The Northern Spotted Owl landed heavily on his arm, digging his talons into Bruin's wrist. "Alright, what's this about?" Bruin asked as he untied a note from Legend's leg.

Sophia stopped as she saw Bruin stop, her expression still showing confusion. She listened to his words, staring at him with her golden eyes. While Sophia had met Conri before, she had not been with Bruin.

"We did not meet anyone in the cavern..." she said softly, not looking entirely happy. Luckily then Bruin's owl came down, the letter he was carrying serving as a good distraction. Sophia looked at Bruin, waiting for him to open the letter, unsure of whether or not he wanted her to see its contents.

"I didn't mean we as in us, I meant it as in Ford, Kale, and a few others." Bruin said, not paying particular attention to the conversation as he opened the letter.
Dear Bruin,

I hope this letter finds you well and you are having a good start to your year.  Your dad and I just wanted to make sure that you were coming home for the holidays this year as we missed you last year.  We were hoping you could be back for the 21st as your grandparents will be here for a visit and would like to see you before they leave for their trip south on the 22nd.  Grandpa has a surprise for you and will be very disappointed if he doesn't get a chance to see you in person.

Love Mom

Bruin read the letter over slowly and knew that his plans for the break had now changed. He didn't want to disappoint Sophia, but figured she would get over it. After all, it wasn't like they had solidified the plans or anything.

"It's a letter from my mom. Looks like I'm going to have to head home right after exams. Family stuff...." Bruin said plainly. "Sorry...", he added weakly, hoping that Sophia would understand.

Sophia stared at Bruin trying her best to keep her expression as calm and collected as possible. She was failing, a look of incredulity seeping onto her face. Her lips parted, as if she was about to say something, but they quickly closed again and she gave her head a small shake.

Without warning Sophia took off toward the castle, walking quite swiftly. She was sure that Bruin would be confused, and she herself did not even fully understand what was running through her head. It was not as if he had asked his mother to call him home early, had he? In any event, despite the ridiculousness and irrationality of it all, Sophia was upset yet determined not to let Bruin see it; although she was walking quite quickly away from him in a rather odd fashion...Her mind was not exactly clear at the moment.

Bruin stood on the lawn and watched as Sophia walked away, unsure what it all meant, but figuring it wasn't good. He reached into his pocket and pulled out an owl treat and handed it to Legend who was now pecking him incessantly. Legend took the treat promptly, gave him one last playful peck and then took off, tearing into Bruin's arm as he did so.

When Bruin returned his gaze to see where Sophia was going, he noted that she had already disappeared from view. He ran his fingers over the painful scratches on his wrist and decided that he'd head back to Gryffindor and clean up before dinner. Sophia had wanted to be alone earlier, perhaps he had just delayed the inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back