Adjusting to Norway

Julie Bennett-Drage

OOC First Name
Julie ^_^
Julie walked down the hall in the massive suite she now called home to the children's rooms. She was still in awe of the size of the suite, with it's 4 bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, dining room, two massive bathrooms and a playroom for the children. It was as if there was an apartment within the massive castle that is the Herrogard. When Valcan had proposed she stay with him, she never had imagined this would be the result. The kitchen, she was informed, was placed there for her use specifically. It was magically enhanced so that the appliances worked as if on electricity. She did not bother to try to understand how the magic worked, but she was just happy it did. There was this odd little creature that was assigned to help her as well.

Sarah was a wonderful woman and Julie soon understood where her sister in law Daisy got her graces from. She still thought that it was a bit odd that Daisy's mother was shacking up with Daisy's father in law, but Sarah had explained how this had happened, and Julie realized that Lief and Daisy could have easily ended up as brother and sister instead of husband and wife had things gone a bit different in the past. Hell, she was not above reproach herself, since she was married to her cousin's ex boyfriend.

Looking in on the kids, Julie smiled. They were in the playroom that connected their two bedrooms. The room was off of the living area and had a door that could be closed to keep the noise in, but allow a full view of the room. Since the pair was playing nicely for a change, she left the door open and waddled her pregnant self over to the extraordinarily plush lounger to put her feet up. She had grown accustomed to relaxing in this spot with a book to read. -

Persephone had been long accustomed to having little to do around the Herrogard. She was in charge of the other house elves and was responsible for taking care of her master, but that was pretty much it. Although she would never tell her master, she was incredibly bored most days.

The small house elf had been a bit confused when her master had arrived with a pregnant woman and two small children. She wasn't sure whether she was more frustrated by the fact that the master of the house had not decided to confide in her, or that he seemed to be going soft in the head. It was just not like Valcan Drage to invite two muggles and a boy to stay in his household.

Her frigid composure had melted a bit when she had found out that the two muggles were Tristan's wife and stepdaughter, and the little boy was his son. The master had charged Persephone with looking after the woman and the children. She had accepted this new task with much enthusiasm, eager to get away from her rather lifeless duties as a house elf. It had been a very, very long time since young children were in the household.

The children were a handful, and her new tasks had taken some adjusting to, but all in all Persephone couldn't have been happier. More often than not she was shadowing the children to make sure that they were not up to trouble, but she also spent some time with Tristan's wife. For once, the man had done something right, though the man's disappearance left a bad taste in Persephone's mouth. Hopefully, the boy- for often he was really more boy than a man- would pull his head out of his backside and come back into reality.

After making sure that the children were playing nicely, she wandered to the room where Julie had seated herself. Although she was a muggle and it abandoned all conventions, Persephone had taken a liking to the woman. For someone who had not grown up in the magical world, she was becoming rather educated in its workings. Her amber eyes bulging out of her tiny face, she asked squeakily, "Is everything comfortable for you, Miss Julie? May I get you anything? A glass of pumpkin juice, perhaps?"

Julie looked up from her book when the tiny elf spoke. "Thanks, Persephone, but I actually am really craving a soda. Is there any way you could get me a Cherry Coke?" She looked at her hopeful, not sure what the rules were on getting a muggle beverage were. "Oh, and I really could use some salt and vinegar chips. With hot fudge." It was an odd combination, but being as pregnant as she was, she craved a number of random items together.

The children were playing well at the moment and didn't need her attention. Julie was enjoying the book she had found in the massive library that was located in the castle. She also enjoyed spending time with Sarah. She was surprised that she enjoyed the woman as much as she did. And that the man that was described as evil incarnate to her by her husband, was actually very welcoming and overall had made the stay rather pleasant so far.

Persephone's bulging eyes brimmed with confusion as she looked back to her charge. She did not forget a bow however. "Forgive me, Miss Julie, but I have never heard of a Cherry Coke. I do not know what a coke is, at least. I know cherries." She cocked her head to the side, her pointed ears sticking out as always. Persephone was not one of those unfortunate house elves who were forced to wear sacks or smelly rags. She was glad to have been born into the Drage family.

"Salt and vinegar potato chips? And hot fudge? It is an odd combination, but I can manage those, I suppose. There is nothing else you would like?" She inched her head towards the door and added, "The children are playing nicely. They have not been naughty today." Merlin knew she had to keep on her toes just to make sure the two children did not get lost in the Herrogard. They were at an adventurous age, and she could not count how many times she had had to drag them back to where they were supposed to be.

Julie chuckled at the idea that there was no Cherry Coke in the wizarding world. "I guess I could use a chocolate milkshake instead of the soda. I forget sometimes that I am not in Kansas anymore." She giggled at her own joke, then looked back at the door to the children's playroom. "I am grateful they are well behaved at this point. We don't want them wandering off again like that. I think that the toy broomsticks that Valcan and Sarah bought were a great idea and have been keeping them occupied." She turned the page in her book. "I think I will venture down to the library and get a different book. this one is really not keeping my interest."

Julie started to get up and struggled a bit in the process. Soon she was on her feet and ready to head down to the library. "I will be back in a bit. Can you have someone keep an eye on the kids? Thanks Persephone!" Julie waddled to the door and headed into the hallway and made her way to the massive library in the home. She was always shocked as she entered, really not used to the size of the castle's interior rooms. She moved slowly across the floor to the catalogue of books to look for something that she was interested in.

Valcan was having a rather frustrating day at work. Getting away from his nitwit of a deputy minister was essential to his sanity. Figuring that he would use his break time to go home and relax, it wasn't long before he had apparated into his office. None of the books that he had left on his desk were suitable today. After glancing at the tree he turned out of his office and headed for the library. Things were unchanged. The way he liked it.

He stepped into the cavernous room, his blue eyes settling on Julie. Although he was still not accustomed to the fact of having muggles in his home, they really weren't all that bad. A small smile lighting his features, he interrupted her hunt for books. "Do you need help finding something? You're not going to find much in English."

Julie jumped as Valcan spoke in greeting to her. She was not expecting the large man to be home, let alone in the library. "I, uh, was just looking for something to read. The books that are in my room are getting a bit boring." She looked up at the tall man before her and was not quite sure what to say. "I was hoping for some, um, well, chick lit. I was really not sure if there would be anything like that here, or if there is a way to get some. I just need to have something mindless to read. Not thinking is a good option sometimes."

The pregnant, auburn-haired muggle looked dejectedly at her father-in-law. She was having a bit of trouble keeping Tristan out of her mind as her pregnancy advanced, and was hoping that some light reading would distract her a bit.

Valcan's brow furrowed as Julie asked him if there was any 'chick lit' among the rows of bookshelves. "Chick lit? What is chick lit?" His expression was riddled with confusion as he stepped towards the nearest bookshelf. Large fingers trailing the spines of book after book, he tried to find something for himself. Unfortunately he was as unsuccessful as Julie at this point. "I can help you find some books that are in English, but I am not sure they would be what you want." And Julie, a muggle, probably wouldn't be able to make head or tail of half of what was there. The fact that a muggle was in his house was not completely cemented in. It was still a wonder. His comrades would probably turn their noses up at him, but he would hold his ground. He didn't have to be a blood traitor to be responsible to family.

Julie chuckled a bit at the lack of knowledge of chick lit. She forgot that Valcan was not a normal man who would understand some of the different terms she used. "Sorry. I forget sometimes that you would not know all muggle terms," she said looking at the large man. "Chick lit is a term for female literature. It's a step up from the basic romance novel, but still mindless reading." She ran her hands along the shelf next to her. "Maybe I could go shopping or someone could go shopping for me to get some?" She looked hopefully at her father in law, not sure what his answer would be.

Suddenly her hand flew to her stomach. Baby Evan was kicking her hard in the stomach and it was almost painful. "Wow this little girl is going to be a great soccer player the way she is kicking me." She grabbed Valcan's rather large hand and placed it on her stomach over the spot where his newest granddaughter was kicking away happily. "You should talk to her. I think she likes your voice. She started kicking when she heard you." Julie smiled up at Valcan, curious what his reaction would be.

Valcan smirked at Julie as she explained what chick lit was. "That's exactly why I have no idea what it is. Never read anything like it." He probably would never want to either. "If we even have something like that, Pjotr would know." Pjotr was the oldest house elf at the Herrogard. He was most familiar with the library and took care of it. "If not, Sarah or I could take you out I suppose." He grimaced a bit at the thought of shopping. The man absolutely despised to do it.

The large man's forehead wrinkled up as Julie started to speak about soccer. Something muggle, obviously. He was about to ask her when she suddenly took hold of his hand. Valcan's first instinct was to pull away. People did not grab him like that. Instead of retaliating he went along with it, his eyes widening as he felt something moving beneath Julie's swelled stomach. It wouldn't be much longer before he had another grandchild.

He was quite unsure what to say. It was strange talking to someone's stomach. "What in the name of Merlin is soccer? I would say that she would be a good Quidditch Player." Valcan was a devout fan of the Karasjok Kites but he had not been able to play the sport himself in a long time.

Julie forgot that soccer is an American term, and a muggle term as well. "Sorry. I forgot that Europeans call soccer football. And I guess that she would be able to play quidditch. Tristan filled me in on the game and I bet she would make a fairly great player." She moved Valcan's hand around a bit to the new spot where his granddaughter was kicking. "I guess she is in agreement. Well, if her kicking is agreement that is."

Valcan grimaced a bit as Julie mentioned his son's name. Tristan was still a sore subject no matter how he attempted to analyze it. He was not anticipating the day that Tristan returned from Thorine- if he managed to do so alive. The man assumed that under the influence of a love potion, his son would be even more intolerable than he already was. Dolohov had to be tiring of him by now.

He smiled as his daughter-in-law dragged his hand across her stomach. He had never really had much contact with both of his wives during their pregnancies. Throughout his life, babies had been a matter for the women and house elves. He was never involved during this time. It was a marvel to feel the strong jab from his grandchild inside. His cold composure was melted even a bit more, despite the fact that the unborn baby wasn't pureblood. Oh, how his colleagues would laugh at him now.

Still unsure what soccer was and figuring he would drop it, he asked, "How many more days is it now?" Christmas was closing in quickly. He was excited to see his new granddaughter, putting aside her heritage. Julie's stomach was huge now- and with the way the baby was kicking it seemed that she did not have long to go.

"Not much longer. To be honest, it could be anytime from now through early January. Just depends on when Evan wants to make her appearance," Julie replied. She noted the smile on the man's face. It was not common for him to smile, and Erik and Eliza really didn't do too much to encourage him to change his expression from the usual stoic one he wore. She was glad that he seemed to be receptive to the children, and to the idea of his latest grandchild.

"I really do think it would be great to get out a bit and do some shopping, if you don't mind. Christmas is closing in and I really should get out and get some presents for the children and to send to a few people. Would it be possible to arrange a trip sometime soon?" She looked at her father in law hopeful. "I also need to pick up a few things for Evan. Most of what was bought for her is back in Wisconsin." She actually wanted to head home for a bit, but was not sure if it would be safe at all for her. The thought of Thorine trying to get to her was not one that made her heart swell with happiness. She knew that she was safe in the massive castle, but still, she needed to get outside for a bit too.

Valcan thought that Evan was an odd name for a girl, but he wasn't going to be making comments. He pulled his hand away from Julie's stomach and let it fall back to his side. His smile was short lived, but it had been there nonetheless. The man was enthusiastic for his new grandchild's arrival but was quite concerned about what would happen if Tristan returned. His departure would most likely be on a sour note, as Tristan usually tended to make things. He wouldn't be received warmly by Valcan, either, but the elder of the two had decided to be civil.

He nodded to Julie as she explained the length of time it would take for the baby's arrival. "I do not mind at all- though I would prefer that you have someone with you at all times. Myself and Sarah, or maybe Joshua if he is up to it." He had no way of anticipating how wrathful the Dolohov woman would be. If he knew correctly, she was a Leglimens, and had likely found out a good deal of information through his son. Julie had to understand that she would need some sort of protection. "Yes, something could be arranged." After a few moments he asked a bit hesitantly, "You do not plan on returning to live in this Wisconsin, do you?"

"I have no problem with going along with someone. It is always more fun to have company shopping, and I would not want to go into labor off on my own," Julie replied to her father in law. She moved to a nearby chair and sat down. "I really have not thought of where to live. You have said, and I agree that Wisconsin is probably not safe any longer." A few tears started to roll down her cheeks. "I don't know what to do. I really don't. I want to keep my children safe, that is my first priority, but I am not sure how to defend us against that woman." She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "This would be so much easier if Tristan was here. Don't get me wrong," she continued, opening her eyes to look at Valcan, "I am grateful that you are helping us, but, but, I just really want my husband."

Valcan took a chair adjacent to Julie, his large form taking up nearly the whole piece of furniture. He nodded. "That will be just as well. I am expecting a visitor at the end of this week, so I can arrange for someone to take you then. We do not want you or the children in harm's way." He was expecting Asparuh Zhefarovich, who would not react well to the presence of a muggle at all. Valcan was not wishing to scare his daughter-in-law, but he still had obligations to fulfill and would rather things didn't evolve into a mess.

He did not move forward, simply sitting back. Comforting with words was the only thing he could really attempt to do. "When Tristan returns," he paused for a moment, as the word 'if' had been about to roll off his tongue, "I am sure that we could arrange for the both of you and the children to live safely and comfortably." He was sincere as he spoke. The man had an obvious aversion to his son, but he did not attempt to change the subject. "I am sure that he will come back to you as soon as he possibly can." Thorine was crazy to want to be with his son, but she had to be tiring of him by now. Valcan was certain that if Tristan didn't find a way to get out, she would either release him or kill him. "You have my empathies," he continued, observing Julie. "I am sorry that things had to happen this way."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back