Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual (Jason)
Wand
Knotted 11 Inch Whippy Oak Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Matthew had finally sat down to write to Leah, and he hoped the letter would do his time at Hogwarts so far justice. He didn't want her to worry about him, but he also wasn't sure if he had written enough or maybe not enough. It was hard to judge. Would she care about the boring details? Would she be mad about the wait? He didn't know. It was hard not being able to see her face, he could read Leah's expressions like no other.

With a sigh, he posted the letter. Wondering if he would feel less lonely when he got a reply.
Letter said:
Dear Leah Pumpkin,

I know I haven't written as soon as I could. But hey, I needed to get some interesting things to happen to me first so I could write an impressive letter home. Right? So I battled two dragons to get into the school and swam all the way across the lake.

Okay, not really. Obviously. But there really is a lake. No dragons spotted yet, except your cousin. (I kid)

It's so strange here, Leah. If you allow me to be serious for a moment. Being the new kid is not something I ever thought to experience again, but here I am, like an overgrown firstie. I got sorted into a Hogwarts house by a HAT. And you know what? I found out there's a house with a more ridiculous name than Pukwudgie. And I'm in it. HUFFLEPUFF. It's very nice, but I don't think I'll ever recover from that name. It makes me huff and puff with laughter. Hehehe. (Yes I just wrote myself laughing)

Your cousin Aurora gave me a tour. She's a chatterbox and also really amusing. Also, she either has an overactive imagination, or the Professors here are literal monsters and I might die. I will let you know which one it is. By the way, hold onto your seat: I made a friend! Actually a few friends! I know, crazy. I will submit pictures as proof next time. One is in my house, his name is Reuben and he's captain of the Quidditch team (I tried out, read on to find out how that went). I also met Madeline who is in Gryffindor and James who is in Gryffindor as well. They argued a lot though. But Maddie is very nice.

Alright yes I tried out for Quidditch. It did not go very well, if I'm being honest. I saved three out of the five shots, that's barely more than half. I'm now an alternate Keeper on the team, somehow. But it might be good for me to meet people? I don't know. Honestly, I'm sort of regretting it. Playing against people you don't know is a lot harder than I thought.

You are probably wondering why I'm so quiet about the whole reason I'm here, but nothing has really happened on that front... I mean, I don't know how to start. I can't just go around asking about her because I don't want anyone to know what I'm doing there. A professor could write to my father, and it's just personal. I only told you, and you're my best friend. How can I confide in people I don't know? I tried to question your cousin about her classmates but it resulted in nothing. I'm going to have to snoop around more. Or man up and ask someone. Either way, you'll get a report.

I want to know how it all goes over there too. Please write back sooner than I did. I have included a few photos of the school grounds. I will take more for next time, if you're interested.

Matthew

Leah had been excited to finally receive an owl from Matthew. She hadn't heard from her best friend in a while, and had been trying not to feel too glum about it. She knew that he was trying to find his bearings in a new school, with new classes, new professors, new people, new... friends. It felt selfish to even think about, but she sometimes couldn't stop herself from wondering - had he forgotten about her? Seeing his familiar scrawl on the envelope, however, quieted all her fears, and she allowed herself to trace her name softly for a moment before opening the letter.

It was quintessentially Matthew. Leah laughed at each of his terrible jokes, and smiled to hear all of his good news. She was glad that he seemed to be doing well so far... she only wished that she was able to be there to experience it with him, rather than having to read about it in a letter. Deciding to wait to reply until her classes and homework were finished for the day, Leah tucked the letter back into its envelope and placed it in her bag, already knowing how she would begin.
Letter said:
Dear Matthew,

Can I just say that I miss you already. Your latest choice of pun about my name made me smile, and I actually laughed quite loudly at breakfast when I reached the part about the dragons - I'm sure I startled the girl sitting next to me, as she made a hasty exit soon after. I forgive you for the delay, of course, dragons (and my cousin, who I would advise you to call 'Rory' within her earshot) can be quite tricky to deal with.

Thank you for the photos! I've put them aside to spell into my album later. I would love it if you could send more, I've never seen the castle there in New Zealand - you're right, Rory's descriptions do tend to err on the side of dramatic, it can sometimes be difficult to tell fact from over-exaggeration. Last Christmas she tried to assure me that if she timed it just right she would be able to sled down all of the moving staircases from Gryffindor House to the Great Hall in time for breakfast - I hope that for her sake she doesn't try to put the theory to the test! (Actually, if she and her friends can stand still long enough I would love to have a picture of them as well, if they don't mind, of course.)

Speaking of my family, I must say that I have to congratulate you on being placed in Hufflepuff (which my Gran believes I would also be placed in, how funny!) and that I have a confession to make. You may remember that I mentioned my family's strange habit of making casual bets about anything and everything? Well, they don't often get the chance to bet on a Sorting, and so once I told them about your transfer they kind of began an open season on you - my Uncle Robert sent me a very long letter filled with all sorts of questions about you to try and guess where you might be placed, but in the end he unfortunately picked Ravenclaw. (He never does quite seem to get it right.) I hope this doesn't make you feel too odd, but it just means that they like you - perhaps even a sign that they've unofficially adopted you. If you need anything while you're there in New Zealand, please don't be afraid to ask them.

It's strange here at Ilvermorny as well - the other day I tried to ask you something, only to look up and realise that you weren't there. Thank goodness no one was watching, I felt silly enough as it was. I almost feel like a first year myself sometimes with how often I've found myself having to talk to new people, except I have the OWLs to remind me that's not the case - as you can imagine I've written out one of my study plans already. I even asked a seventh-year about the workload we'll be receiving and he was happy to help, which as you can imagine I was very pleased about.

I'm glad you're making friends! Reuben and Madeline both sound nice, but I hope that you've found more than just two people to talk to - which I don't imagine will be very difficult, you've always been so friendly. Now I won't have to worry about you as much! I'm glad you made the Quidditch team, too - even if you're just an alternate it will be a good way to meet people, I agree. But I don't believe you when you said it didn't go very well - I've watched you enough times to know that you're a wonderful Keeper and that they're lucky to have you. Just work hard and help win that Quidditch Cup for Hufflepuff! (I admit, I have decided it is my favourite house now that you've been sorted there.)

Oh, and speaking of Quidditch - I talked to Abilene McCaulley, the Pukwudgie captain, in the student lounge the other day. She seems quite nice, but apparently her team is a little sluggish after the summer holidays. Now, I am absolutely not going to spy for you Matthew Harper (not that I really believe you would want me to), but I thought you might be interested to hear any news about the teams back home. I suppose I will have to force myself down to the pitch to cheer for our house by myself from now on, seeing as you can't be here to make me go.

It's a shame you haven't managed to find your sister yet, but remember it is only the beginning of the year. You have plenty of time to find her, and you know her name, so that's a good place to begin. I don't think I've ever heard Rory talk about an Odette either, but if I ever hear her mention the name I will let you know - presuming your brilliant detective skills haven't found her already! I hope you find her soon, and that she's well.

Nothing else has happened much here - it's the same old Ilvermorny. The Sorting was quite entertaining this year, one of the first years wouldn't accept that the Thunderbird carving wasn't interested in her and she remained standing on the Knot for almost seven minutes before the headmistress finally had to speak with her. We have quite a good number of new Horned Serpents, but I am slightly miffed at a boy who was accepted by both ours and the Wampus carvings, and chose to be placed with the other house. Perhaps my house spirit is intact after all.

I hope you're well, and I look forward to your next letter!

Leah

Matthew hadn't written to Leah nearly as much as he wanted to, but today he had found the time. It had been nice to write down all his feelings on paper, it was so much easier to have some time to think through what to say. Quite a lot had happened at Hogwarts, he hoped he hadn't forgotten to mention anything.
Letter said:
Dear Leah Pepper,

I miss you too, but it's always nice to be reminded that you do too. I'm really sorry for not writing as much as I want to, but this school is a hectic place! I met more people, I think I made more friends (at least, they were nice to me?) and I am doing alright in my classes!

Okay first things first, I've officially seen my sister's face. Don't get too excited, it was just a photograph in the yearbook. I don't know how I didn't think of that before, but I suddenly had a moment of clarity and found the yearbooks in the library. I still haven't quite worked out how to approach her, and the semester is almost over! I'm officially the world's biggest wimp, it is true. I might ask your cousin for help? I don't know.

I told my friend Reuben about her, and it was a bit odd but mostly really nice. I don't tend to share things that are personal to me (except with you because I use you as a garbage dump for all my emotions, sorry about that) but he was really nice about it. He has a twin brother at school too but I don't know him that well. They don't seem too close, though I did get a few looks from him for sitting next to Reuben. I also met a boy from Slytherin and a girl from Hufflepuff in the year below me. She's an artist, her drawings are really cool! I haven't told anyone but Reuben about Odette yet, though.

I can't believe your family actually bet on my sorting. That's hilarious and sort of touching. I think Ravenclaw would have been fun, but Hufflepuff is obviously the best. Especially since I think you could be here too, if you went to Hogwarts. Also, we won our first Quidditch game EASILY. To be fair, I didn't play, but I'll still take the credit.

I do maybe need something from your family though, as awkward as I feel to ask. I have been unsure about going home for the holidays this year, especially since I worry my dad will question me about my motivations to go here. I mean, he's hardly ever there for Christmas but he would be there to torment me I'm sure. So I was sort of planning to stay in New Zealand, but I was sort of hoping I didn't have to stay at the castle during the holidays. You celebrate it with family here, right? I don't want to impose at all, I swear, but if you can use my charming company I would really like that.

Also, before I forget: I ran into Professor Carter here. You remember him? He taught Muggle Studies at Ilvermorny before. He's really nice but it was a bit awkward to suddenly run into him. He teaches Herbology to the younger years, so your cousin would've had his classes.

I'm shocked and appalled at your refusal to spy on the Pukwudige team, and even more at the idea that the Horned Serpents would need a spy on the other teams. As if. I bet they'll be kicking ass even without me. Especially if you cheer for them as you said.

This letter has been all over the place, I'm sorry. I guess I had a lot of thoughts about different things that needed venting. I really hope I can see you during the holidays, but if not I'll write an even longer letter to you so you won't miss me too much. I really hope you're doing okay over there.

Matthew

PS: I won a LOT of chocolate and candy in potions class, which I'm still baffled by. If I don't eat it all now, maybe we could share it over the holidays.

It had been a while since Matthew had last sent her a letter, so when the owl appeared at the breakfast table Leah immediately abandoned her toast and reached for the envelope, thanking the owl distractedly. She had almost been ready to write to her friend twice in a row, as she'd been planning to ask him where he was spending his Christmas holidays. She'd always been in New Zealand during that time of year, but now that Matthew was there too she'd have a chance to see him - that is, if he didn't come home to see his family, which he very well might do, she reminded herself. It felt like it had been too long since she had last seen her friend, and so she couldn't help but hope. Reading through his letter though, Leah happily discovered that he had already been thinking along the same lines as her. She had a free period next, so she excitedly began writing a reply... her study could wait for this.
Letter said:
Dear Matthew,

Of course you don't have to apologise for not writing, I know how busy school can get - especially this year! How are you feeling about your OWLs so far? I'm so glad you're doing well and that people are being nice to you. But how could they not be, you're wonderful!

Looking for Odette in the yearbooks - I knew you'd be able to come up with some brilliant idea like that. But you're not a wimp! This is a big thing to think about, especially considering your commitments to your classes and the Quidditch team as well. You have the rest of the year to talk to her... although I hope you don't mind me saying, don't leave it too late. As for asking Rory, that's up to you. I love her, but she does tend to be a little slapdash sometimes. She's a good person though, so if you decide that's the best approach I'm sure she'd be happy to help.

And as for your request - yes, I'm always in New Zealand at Christmas. My mother and I will be at my grandparents for the entire holidays, and there are plenty of extra rooms, I assure you. So if you don't mind staying in a house full of loud Mustards, of course you can spend Christmas with us! I'll send a letter to ask straight after I write this, but they'll agree very readily, I'm sure of it. Knowing my grandparents, you'll be treated like a king and won't have to lift a finger while you're there. And it'll be the first time we've ever spent Christmas Day together! You'll have to wait to open your gift until the proper day... although I'm glad I won't have to worry about sending it with an owl now. And yes, please save me a small bar of chocolate perhaps, I'd love to celebrate your potions triumph with you! You must have done something quite spectacular to win so much.

And I don't mind being a garbage dump for your emotions, although it seems I now share that responsibility with your friend Reuben. Is that why I haven't received a letter in so long? I'm teasing you of course, I know you've been busy. He must be a good friend if you felt comfortable enough to share that information though, which makes me glad. I feel better knowing you have someone there with you who you can depend on if you need. What sort of drawing does the Hufflepuff girl do? Which reminds me, have you taken any exciting shots since you last wrote? Having an entirely new landscape to play with must be nice for your photographer's soul.

I'm so glad my honorary house won their first game! When is the next one? I shall cheer you on all the way from Ilvermorny. Our team here at home is doing well, I think - we've won one game, although we did lose another, but hopefully the other teams will do even worse. (It feels slightly awful to say that, but I know you'll approve of my house spirit.) I'm sorry I can't give you quite the breakdown you would like, but unfortunately my knowledge of Quidditch only extends so far as the basic rules and knowing which team to cheer for - which I think I'm beginning to do quite well, I'll have you know.

And of course I remember Professor Carter, even though he only taught us very briefly. Herbology seems quite a leap from Muggle Studies, but I suppose it's good to be such a well-rounded teacher. It's so funny that you saw him again there in New Zealand - it really is a small world.

I've just been in my usual studying frenzy over here. I managed to ask an older student to help me practice my spells. You know what I'm like, I spend too long thinking about things that should just be performed instinctually. Hopefully having someone new to practice with will allow me to do that - I'll let you know if the method works. He was quite happy to help though, which I was glad about. I don't think I would have been able to bear it if he'd ignored or laughed at me.

I'm really looking forward to Christmas now that I know I'll get to see you - it can't come soon enough!

See you soon (!)

Leah

Everything had gone horribly, horribly wrong and Matthew was starting to feel like coming to New Zealand had been one huge mistake. He wanted nothing else but see Leah, even if things were awkward between them now. He had to talk to her, though he knew he wouldn't mention the kiss that happened over the holidays. He had other things on his mind anyway.
Letter said:
Leah,

Everything has gone wrong. Odette now knows who I am but she either doesn't believe my story or doesn't want to know me. It's all my fault too.

I asked Rory to bring her a letter, just because I was too much of a coward to just talk to her like I sould have. It turns out the two have a history and hate each other. So Rory and another friend of hers picked a big fight with Odette when they tried to deliver my letter, and the other girl actually punched her in the face. I stepped in but it was too late, and she ran off when I tried to explain myself.

I just don't know what to do. A part of me wants to come back next year, but I also don't want to go back home with everything this awful. What should I do? I need some Leah advice.

Matthew.

With the end-of-year exams looming Leah's time spent down at breakfast had become quite sparse, and she was usually accompanied by at least three rolls of parchment, a textbook and a bottle of ever-lasting ink. With some toast in her left hand and the other busy scribbling, Leah didn't notice the owl that was trying to get her attention until it landed on the table right in front of her. Abandoning the toast in order to pull her mug of tea to safety, Leah eyed the owl curiously. She hadn't been expecting a letter. Taking the envelope from the owl she flipped it over to read the name, causing her breath to catch in her throat. It was from Matthew. She hadn't heard from him all semester and now... Leah tore the letter open. As her eyes flicked quickly over the contents, the suspicion that this had been urgent was confirmed immediately. There were no jokes, no friendly teasing... only the delivery of terrible news. Just the tone of the letter had Leah thinking the silly thought of finding an international portkey to New Zealand right now, but as that wasn't possible she settled for the next best thing. Thankfully the owl had stayed around, so Leah set about answering Matthew's plea as fast as she was able - she'd be able to concentrate on nothing else until a reply was on its way.
Letter said:
Dear Matthew,

I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear what's happened - I wish I could be there to help you with this in person, even if I don't really know if there's much that I can do. Firstly, though, I want to apologise for my cousin. I'm absolutely not excusing her actions at all (in fact, I'm actually rather angry at her! I know she's still young, but how I wish she had handled the situation with the maturity it deserved!).

That being said... I can't really tell you what to do now, Matthew. I could be terribly selfish and try to sway you into coming home (because I have missed you, though the lack of letters I've sent certainly doesn't seem to indicate as such). But... I think you need to decide how important finding Odette is to you - and I think it's very important to you. This sounds terribly harsh, Matthew, but if you come home now... isn't that abandoning her all over again?

You know I'll support whatever decision you make, so please, take some time with it and think about what's best for you, also. It may seem like an impossibly hard situation right now, but I truly think it's more than worth the effort.

I hope otherwise you've been well,

Leah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back