Accepting Fate

Hakon Butterfield

OOC First Name
Clara
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Hakon Butterfield wasn't sure about how to contact his real family. He had yet to figure out where exactly they lived and if they were willing to meet him anytime soon. He had questions and he needed them to be answered. It wasn't easy for him to grow up in a home and then only later in his life find out about being adopted. Ever since he'd found out he'd been thinking about it and was unable to imagine. What were they like? How many siblings did he have? Were they anything like him, anything at all? Hakon grabbed his sunglasses and cap before taking the stairs two at a time; gently closing the door of the apartment he was renting on his way out. He felt like taking a walk around the place, oddly enough with the heat. He needed to find anything to occupy his time with, after all he knew his biological cousins lived in the area. That was as far as he had managed to get in his research however and now he just had to be patient and let it all play out. Not that Hakon was a man with such patience, but he'll have to try his best. As he strolled, hands in his pockets, the twenty-two year old felt like there was something else tingling in the back of his mind but he couldn't decipher or recognise what it was that he was missing and was right there. He knew he was beginning to feel a little lonely, he'd never admit it to anyone although he could not deny it. Maybe what he was really looking for was a friend, a true friend who would help him. The cool air hit him as soon as Hakon entered the nearest pub. From his experience, this was the best way to start meeting other people and form 'bonding' friendships. If those people he met were conscious of what they were doing, that is.
<i>
</i>

Pon had worked hard for what she had. Her tent untouched by the mysterious fairy woman of the circus, her fire dancing skills a marvel, and her social life, expanded by... One? Pon had no social life. She was alone most days, and for the most part that was okay. She was a hardened woman with experience in loneliness, and drinking. The brunette sighed into her sex on the beach, twirling the small straw with her tongue, a bored expression on her face.

The door opened and Pon spun only her eyes towards the door, catching sight of an oddly familiar brunette man. Aha! A social life. She only needed one friend wasn't that right? The brunette stood, her dark waves contrasting her pale skin in a startling way. The white pants made her look tanner than normal, but still her skin was not dark like some of the circus members. Even Posie seemed more olive than she most days. Poinciana approached fearlessly. "I know you." She spoke. Though she was unsure if it was him or not.

</FONT></COLOR>
<COLOR color="black"><FONT font="Georgia">Hakon turned around at the sound of a voice, completely taken off guard. Maybe this woman had mistaken him for someone else? Hakon shouldn't have been familiar with many people from this part of the world considering it was the opposite hemisphere he was used to, or at least he didn't think he should have been. When he gave the woman a second glance he almost spat out the drink he'd ordered. Composing himself, he put on his best smile and replied,​
"I'm sorry I - I don't think we know each other. Either that, or I just have a really bad memory." Surely he would remember someone as attractive as her. He didn't want to lose the opportunity of making friends, as it was about time and she had after all approached him - even though it wasn't necessarily because she wanted to befriend him - so after a couple of minutes of silence between them, he added, "I'm Hakon. Would you like a drink?" The twenty-two year old was not used to this sort of thing so he had no idea how it worked. He guessed that by offering her a drink if she wanted one, that it would progress from there.

Ponciana stood where she was looking over the boy. In her flats she topped off at 5'10" and often found herself taller than most people she encountered. In her heels though she was definitely taller than the man she spoke to. When he dispersed her theory that she knew who she was, Pon was almost deflated. Social obligations when offered a drink were painful - she owed at least one. Maybe five if the boy couldn't keep up she could take his galleons when he was drunk. Ponciana sat near where the man had positioned himself, dark orbs reading every line on his face, every crack in his lips and every shade under his eyes - if there was any difference. "Fire whiskey on ice." She spoke to the bartender. Then Ponciana looked at Hakon. Perhaps she should introduce herself. "Pon." She spoke, never giving her full name. Never.

Apologies for the delay!!

</COLOR>
<COLOR color="black">Hakon did not miss the woman observing him. It didn't exactly make him uncomfortable, however it did make him raise his eyebrows, a slight smirk tugging at the corner of his lips. He was relieved when she decided to take him up on his offer for a drink, though she didn't speak much. Hakon stared at Pon for a few minutes before realising she wasn't going to talk much more than that. It was his turn then.​
"Make that two," he smiled softly at the bartender in thanks before giving his attention to the girl. "So Pon," he started. "What made you come here of all places?" Of course if that question had sounded impolite it was not how he was meaning to sound. Hakon was just not used to interacting with strangers, it had been a while since he met people after all. Either way, the young man knew he was not leaving until he befriended someone - in this case, the woman in front of him.
<i>
</i>

Ponciana had to consider what the man asked carefully as her response would take more than one or two words. Finally, after being served her drink she answered. "I'm with the circus." She replied, before drinking her drink quickly, placing the glass carefully back on the counter. The brunette watched to see if he'd have a negative reaction to her comment about the circus - she'd light him on fire if he did. It couldn't be hard. She'd grab his drink and put it in her mouth, then breathe fire to frighten him. She only needed her wand and a little bit of fuel to do the trick after all. Ponciana defended the circus as her family, even if she was hard to read - after all they were the only family that she had so what choice did she have?

The girl was more mysterious the more he spoke to her. She didn't seem to speak much, which only made Hakon more curious and want to get to know her more. Hakon was stubborn when it came to achieving goals and this meant he was not leaving until he made some sort of impression. Whether the impression was positive or negative was a different matter. She answered his question and her simple reply made Hakon raise his eyebrows. Was the woman being serious? Why a circus though? The man nodded his head ever so slightly, wondering how he should reply to that so as not to come off as confused or awkward. "What do you do...at the circus?" He finally asked, his gaze still holding hers. "Any other circus members here with you who I need to be wary of?" He said, only joking, looking around him to see whether there was anyone else who might have been watching the two exchange a few words. Hakon didn't exactly have much of an opinion of the circus, he had only been once or twice his entire life, and that was years ago - when he was a kid. Though if Pon really wasn't kidding about being part of it, he might go again soon. For what reason he had no idea, that would come later, he would find an excuse for going if anyone asked.
<i>
</i>

Ponciana stroked back her long locks, throwing them over her shoulder in one motion. The man did not stop there though, instead he continued to be interested in conversation with her, which caused a small smile to tug at her lips. Her ruby red lips were continually tugged upwards as he looked around. No one at the circus needed to protect her - no she was someone they needed protection from. She was a forest fire in her rampages - and didn't care who got burned. "I dance with fire." Pon stated, sipping her drink a little slower now, wanting to be more sober the longer the conversation went on. "No. I am alone. For a moment she was silent, before a distant memory whined in her head. Mariposa telling her she didn't ask anyone about themselves, and how that was how one made friends. So in an attempt to expand her social life, the pale woman said. "You now."

Hakon almost commented on how Pon was about to smile, he almost managed that, but not quite, however he chose not to. After all he was trying to make friends here and not scare them away. He was tired of being lonely. "That's interesting, I'm guessing you're amazing at it too," he smiled at her sincerely, something he did rarely nowadays. Hakon wasn't fazed any longer by the fact that the woman didn't speak much, she would give time, so he wasn't too worried about it. As long as he wasn't wasting his time in the bar, but then again what else did he have to do here? "Alright," he said simply, taking another sip of his own drink, referring to her being alone. When it was his turn, Hakon said, "I'm here to visit family." That was a start. It was the truth, though he was still figuring out exactly as to how he should go about presenting himself to them. "I have yet to find out where exactly they live, though."

Ponciana tilted her head to the side as she listened to the man. The heat coming onto her face when complimented was foreign though, and she thought perhaps she was getting a fever. Pon put down her drink and looked at it for a moment as if it was the cause of the blush on her cheeks. No she was not that intoxicated. Slowly her Cafe Noir eyes moved to look at Hakon through thick lashes. What kind of a game did he play to make her face heat up like the sun beat down right in that very room? "Distant family?" she inquired, as someone who had only the circus as family it intrigued Pon to meet someone with more.

Hakon smiled, a genuine smile, when he noticed the woman's cheeks turn red. She hadn't smiled just yet, but mission accomplished - sort of. Maybe Pon wasn't actually used to being complimented by others. Hakon would change that. He pursed his lips when she asked him if he was here to visit distant family. He wasn't sure whether to tell her the whole truth or not. "No," he shook his head slowly. "I mean, I haven't heard from them in... a while." It was a half truth. A complicated half truth. Hakon didn't really want to talk much about his home life and the fact that he was adopted, especially with people he didn't know very well. Given time, it would all be revealed, but it wasn't the right time nor the place for it. "Let's just say, I don't know much about them and it would be nice to get to know them better."

Ponciana was caught off guard by how natural a smile the boy had on her lips. For a moment she felt her own lips tug upwards, and instead of fighting it, she allowed her plump lips to split open revealing pearl-like teeth. Just because she was a member of the circus did not make her dirty - she took her next drink into her hand and drank a little more of it. "Family is important." She responded nodding. "I can help?" She asked, a short amount of time after. "My circus family knows many people. I do not know if they would help. But you say the word, i know a few girls." She spoke. Mainly Esperanza, but Mariposa was so friendly that she tended to know everyone she met. She'd introduce herself and remember their names. Then their was Oswald. He was an idiot but maybe he could be of help. The dark haired girl tossed her hair again over her shoulder, the unruly mane irritating her. She looked into the man's face, trying to figure out what it was about him that kept her talking. She liked him enough, she dind't want to light him on fire at least. "What if they're dead?" She asked bluntly.

Hakon tried to resist the temptation to make his smile bigger at having Pon smile. Finally! She was even more attractive when she smiled, Hakon mused. His ears perked up at the mention of her help. Truth be told, Hakon knew he needed it, but he also didn't know how much he could trust the woman in front of him. He had barely been able to keep the friends he had from school, so how was he supposed to know the help was genuine? Then he remembered that time was running out and he needed to find them. He was actually kind of surprised they didn't leave an address. Maybe they weren't expecting him so soon. "Alright," he said finally. "I could use the extra hands." Hakon watched her as she flicked her hair over her shoulder, and was snapped out of his trance when she asked him, very straightforwardly, what would happen if they were dead. But the man already had an answer to that. "No," he shook his head. "They wrote to me, a couple of months ago." He felt the pocket of his jacket as if to reassure himself that the letter was still there. "I wrote back to them, but they didn't respond. Yet." Hakon was really hoping they hadn't changed his mind, after all he was here and had come a long way just to meet them.
<i></i>

Ponciana's dark eyes watched the man's face, his permanent happy expression quite something. His expression was warm and inviting - like a hearth fire. The circus member wondered if she too had the same warmth, though she doubted it. She had been told enough times to know she was unapproachable. Mariposa didn't stop just because she looked unapproachable though, and neither did this man. At least he had less glitter than the fairy girl. Ponciana reached out to where Hakon's hand rested and sat her own hand on top of the man's. He'd gotten her to talk more than she had in a long time with a stranger. her eyes narrowed gently, not in a threatening way, but in a way that said she had interest in what he was saying. "Where do we start?" She asked, as if to say they could start looking that night. Perhaps it was Pon's ability to relate to lost family that made her offer to help. Perhaps it was the fact that he wasn't hard to look at, or maybe it was just the fact that the circus had been so stressful lately because of drama in the inner circles of the operation, that perhaps she needed a break. She'd been there since she was 16 after all, and while they'd traveled everywhere she always felt her need to stay reserved by the tents. Not that she thought she'd be outgoing if she left. However would it hurt to see a bit outside the tents and flashing lights. The drink sat beside her most likely had an effect on the matter as well - however she did not touch it anymore. Instead it sat without a hand around it, as hers was touching his.

What came as a surprise to Hakon was when Pon put her hand over his, the last thing he had expected the woman to do, considering it had taken him a while during their conversation to make her smile. Whatever she thought about this gesture, Hakon considered it as a mini, closer step towards making her trust him. It might take a while but Hakon felt like he needed that to happen, if she were to help him find his family. Or hopefully, even help him find the courage to write to them. Tell them he was in the country. At Pon's question, he hesitated, thinking it over himself. It was a good question. "Well..." he trailed off, squinting as he thought of a starting point. "I know their-our surname," he told her. "We just need to find people who know them, even if just by association. Um, and then I'll send them another letter," he was putting ideas out there, though they were basic ones Hakon knew that if they did that at least they couldn't possibly go wrong.

Ponciana nodded, obviously taking in the information thoughtfully. The brunette continued to keep her hand over his, her eyes full of thought, clouded by the amount she was contemplating where they could look. She'd contact Mariposa and drill her on the people she'd interacted with, and see if perhaps Oswald had tripped over any attractive women lately. He did that quite often. Finally Ponciana spoke. "I will help you find them." It was not an offer, it was a statement of fact. Ponciana no longer had a family, and she wasn't about to let anyone else have the same heartache she used to feel. "But first sleep." She spoke, before waving the bar tender over and settling her tab. She then grabbed a writing utensil from the person who came over, and used it to scrawl coordinates on a piece of napkin. "This is where my tent is. Come find me in the Morning." And with that, Ponciana stood to leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back