Brooke Townsend

🤍 No Grit No Pearl 🤍

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Brooke had a good feeling about the second half the year. She may have had a rocky start in the first semester, but she was certain she could get things back on track now that school had started up again. The sunny weather was helping too, with it being nice enough outside that even Brooke didn't want to waste the afternoon inside reading, straying out to the lake side to just enjoy the fresh air for a moment.

She hesitated when she saw Hester nearby, fussing with something down by the water, before grimacing when she realized she had her gross toad with her again. "Hester, you're going to ruin your robes messing around where it's all muddy, seriously," she called, stepping cautiously closer to get a better look. Hester was such a weird girl. She was always too loud, too messy, and too wholly unconcerned with her appearance and it irked Brooke. Surely she couldn't have a clue what some of the other kids in their year thought of her or she wouldn't seem so chipper all the time. And maybe she would have picked a more normal pet too.

godmod of Hester approved.

Of all the magical aspects of her life at Hogwarts, Hester took caring for Big Douglas the most seriously. She knew witches were supposed to have familiars, though she had never really been sure what that actually meant. Whatever they were supposed to be though, she felt as though that was the role Big Douglas played in her life. He was her best friend, and he deserved only the best. That meant plenty of field trips outside to enjoy the cool waters of the lake, and only the tastiest of bugs. Today Hester was getting two tasks done at once, letting Big Douglas sit in the water while she dug around in the mud at the lakeside, looking for worms. She had already found quite a few, which she had stuffed in her pocket for lack of a better container, and was digging for a particularly elusive one when she heard a voice, looking up and smiling when she recognised Brooke. "Oh, it's fine!" She said cheerfully, waving one muddy hand. "Big Douglas is having a bath, I'm just getting some dinner for him."

Brooke wrinkled her nose as Hester waved at her, trying not to think to hard on what the underside of Hester's nails must look like. "Surely, there's gotta be a better way of doing that," she said, expression pinched as she edged closer, though hopefully still staying out of mud range. What would it take to ever get Hester to act like a normal girl, Brooke didn't know. It would be a project for sure, she thought balefully, double-taking when she was sure she caught Hester's toad staring at her for a moment. But there was a thought. What would it take to get Hester to clean up and stop wallowing in the mud. Brooke considered Hester thoughtfully for a moment. Under all the mud and the messy hair, Hester wasn't terrible to look at really. Brooke could work with that. "Say, Hester, do you have plans for Valentine's? If you want, I could help you get ready? I bet you'd look real pretty with your hair done just so," she said, twisting her hair in the air behind her head in demonstration. That would be step one, Brooke figured. Clean Hester up and then she could see about the other things. Like the toads. And the bagpipes.

Hester laughed at Brooke's comment, ignoring the mud that smudged her cheek as she pushed a curl behind her ear. She was already plenty muddy, and she could always take a shower once she was back in the castle. "I mean, I could just buy worms, but this is free! And way more fun." Hester added, giving the mud a little wiggle to try and drive more worms to the surface. She was surprised when Brooke brought up Valentines, looking up again at the mention. "Oh, that sounds like fun!" She said cheerfully. Hester always liked school dances but she had always gotten ready by herself in the past, and the thought of having a friend with her was a fun one.

"Right," Brooke said slowly, taking a pointed step to the side as Hester stuck her hands back into the mud. Maybe this girl really was a lost cause, Brooke thought mildly. But she'd never be one to back down from a challenge. "Merlin forbid you give up on free worms, I suppose." Thankfully Hester didn't need any convincing to let Brooke style her for the dance and Brooke smiled, brushing her skirt down under her legs as she cautiously took a seat near where Hester's little worm operation was taking place. "Great! You should meet me in the student lounge a few hours for the dance then. We're going to need the extra time, I have so many ideas. Oh and, leave the toad, please," Brooke said, running a hand through her hair as she mentally started a check list of everything she'd need for this project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back