A Tale of Losses.

Artemis Jackson

OOC First Name
Arty
Wand
Fir Wand 14 1/8" Essence of Sphinx Remains
Everything was becoming hectic for the fourteen year old. Yesterday, the Slytherin team just lost the game versus Ravenclaw and now, lesson six was looming over. To Artemis' horror, she never noticed that she has been neglecting her studies. Ever since the Quidditch game was announced, all Artemis did was to practice and yesterday, the result of her practice came out. She was replaced by an alternative whose name was Kamaria Warlock who was unfortunate to get kicked out of the team. Isabella Romanes did it herself and the only thing Artemis did was to shut up. She felt the anger of Romanes when did not save the goal immediately. Ravenclaw was kicking up their points whilst their points remained untouched. The game flashed endlessly in the Slytherin's mind as she frowned even more. She could have done better, now that the pressure from the captain was gone. Everything was over though and she thought of the youngest Chaser's words. They still had their pride after all and Artemis was sure to keep hers intact. The small game of Quidditch did not need to bother her anymore. It was a waste of time and she wouldn't want to waste something precious for some silly Quidditch game. Professor Styx wouldn't probably care about it too.

The lakefront was the place that Artemis stepped on. It was Spring already and not much heat could be felt. The breeze was cool and layers of clouds laced the sky that looked like white cotton and fluff. It was already the afternoon hence the sunset would be out very soon. Probably in about an hour or more. Artemis hiked along the path of bulky rocks and odd looking plants. The walk wasn't so bad though. It has been a long time ever since she got to see mother nature up close. The Slytherin had a subtle smile on her lips as she looked over the scenery. Indeed, a magnificent hot orange giant was slowly going its way down but that wasn't what she exactly was looking for. Artemis wanted to comfort herself and stay calm to plan about her notes once she retreats back. The Quidditch Keeper did not want to face the other Slytherins right now. They were probably talking about how their team did awful. Her head wanted to replenish these thoughts and so her feet dragged her to a tree that was big enough to give generous amount of shade. Eventually, her bum landed on the ground as she sat down, her blue eyes transfixed on the clouds nearby the sun. The silence drowned her thoughts as she thought of everything that she needed to get done at the moment.
<i>
</i>

</COLOR>
<COLOR color="#000"> A lazy afternoon was set for Alliyah Jane Jackson. All day long, she was lying on her four poster bed with her eyes fixed on the ceiling. Alliyah only moved and walked when she needed to go the Great Hall for her meals. Her breakfast was the only time of the day that she thought was the most unforgettable. Another edition of Rumour Has It was provided to each student and she found hers almost immediately. Alliyah remembered herself laughing at the part of the magazine wherein Minoas and an older Gryffindor girl were paired up, saying that Minoas was digging up the girls that he sees. It was hilarious really, even though the words there were mostly false. God, Alliyah thankfully did not have any issues with that magazine. She had no idea of what to talk about herself anyways so thankfully that RHI magazine did not have any interest at her. Only that made her smile and laughed whilst her roommates stared at her with confusion. Her laughter died down though when she figured out that a stroll around the grounds would be grand. The young girl jumped off the soft mattress and looked for her camera. She saw it on the nightstand, its lenses clean and series of buttons around it. Alliyah took it eagerly and slipped its strap around her neck before skipping outside the dorm to head to the outside grounds.

It was already late afternoon when Alliyah reached the door to the open grounds. She sighed and breathed in the fresh air around her contented with what she was seeing. The blonde raised her camera and snapped a photo of the glimmering lake, smiling when she saw that it was close to perfect. The lighting was just the problem because of the sun. Alliyah trudged along the grass with soil underneath, her face eager to reach the top of the landscape. Her hands gripped on the stones to balance herself. Once she reached the top, Alliyah saw a familiar body that was seated near a tree, a huge amount of shade above her. She was in deep thought and Alliyah closed in the distance between them. Her eyes widened when she saw Artemis there, leaning her back on the bark of the tree. Alliyah approached her sister and snapped a picture instantly whilst giggling. "Happy birthday Hunter! Did you forget about it again?" Alliyah raised an eyebrow as she totally closed the space between them, eyeing her sister's outfit. It was pretty on her really and she couldn't believe that Artemis was getting taller by every year! Ally sat down beside her sister and looked at her with a bright smile. "How are you? Feeling bad about yesterday?" Alliyah asked as she leaned in with a sympathetic smile toying with her lips.
<i>
</i>

</COLOR>
<COLOR color="#000"> Drifting thoughts were the only thing that Artemis had right now. Her wand was stashed in her pocket, slightly peeping out just in case somebody would attack her. What really bothered her were the exams and how she would study in all of a second. Artemis was not much of a braniac too and that posed a problem immediately. It struck her that she needed notes and she planned to borrow from her roommate later on. Artemis bowed her head slightly, ready to sleep if ever her stressed thoughts would overwhelm her. She was on the cliffs for Salazar's sake! Artemis decisive on whether going down and studying or just remaining on her spot. The shade provided her a huge amount of coolness and Artemis had no problem with it. The heat was not giving her any rashes so might as well just remain. There was another day tomorrow anyways. Artemis lifted her head up again from her knees that were drawn to her chest as a flash greeted her which pained her blue eyes. By instinct, she stood up and quickly looked away from the source of bright light and drew her wand, threateningly pointing it on the person. With her fingertips caressing her eyelids, she peeped at the person and staggered backwards. A familiar face greeted her with the usual bubbly smile it always had. "ALLIYAH?! Goodness, you scared me!" Exclaimed the blonde with surprise and shock. Artemis took her fingertips away from her eyes and slowly went to her sister looking at her with a murderous expression. Her eyes softened though at the way her sister smiled but then went to soothe her immediately. Alliyah always had that effect on her Artemis. And Artemis hated how she would quiet up because of Ally. Artemis went to her sister slowly, rubbing her temples in an exasperated way. "Naah. I'm just paying no mind to it, really." Artemis sat down beside her sister again, looking at the clouds ahead of them. It was just impossible to look at the sun today. It would burn her eyes in almost a second. A few minutes from now will do though.

"I'm okay. The game was upsetting though. I can't believe we lost against those Ravenclaws!" Artemis mumbled to her sister as she frowned. She smacked her lips in the air for some effect before drawing her knees towards her chest to cuddle herself. It was such a waste; All her practices resulted to nothing. Was she really that bad in Quidditch? Her father trained her ever since the age of seven for the gods' sake! Artemis tried to remain apathetic but her emotions drowned her muscles to remain expressionless. It was difficult, now that she needed balance her studies because of the upcoming exams. She knew that her sister was happy and cheerful most of time and she had this feeling that Ally would joke about the game just to make her crack a smile. Her birthday was today and she turning fourteen years old. Artemis just couldn't believe her rotten luck. "Such a birthday this is. It's the worst." She bitterly thought and just leaned against the bark again with her sister beside her. Now was the time she needed her comfort anyways. A sisterly thing.
<i>
</i>

</COLOR>
<COLOR color="#000"> The surprised expression of Artemis made her giggle badly. Alliyah had no means of harm towards her sister and she just wanted to surprise her. A guilty smile appeared on her features as she cautiously approached her sister who was staggering away from her like some Death Eater. Alliyah stopped her giggling and put her hand on her hips. She tilted her head to the side like some rigid teacher would do and replied, "Come on. You're overreacting. Seriously!?" Ally waited as Artemis stood next to her, before pulling her down so that they can sit down on the soft grass. It was dry thankfully and everything was just green and full of life. The Gryffindor surveyed her sister's reaction, noticing that an emerald coloured clip was on her hair. Artemis tied the upper bunch of her hair into a ponytail, leaving the bottom part of her blonde strands dangling all over her shoulders. It looked good on her too. Alliyah touched her own hair that was messily draped over her shoulders and frowned. She didn't even think about tying her hair into something neat. It was clean though for she took a short shower before three o'clock even started. Alliyah smiled at her growing sister and looked forward instead and then frowned when she heard about Artemis' decision not to pay attention to her fourteenth birthday. "It's your fourteenth birthday! Shouldn't you be celebrating or something? You're such a bore, dear sister." Alliyah joked and then laughed at her own self. Artemis was just sometimes a girl who decided to be quiet about everything. Why were they such opposites anyways? Artemis was quiet and observant whilst she was the one who would always talk and share stories. But nevertheless, the two would always get along. Their appearance was almost the same but their personalities were quite different from one another.

"You've got to admit, they're witty. Maybe they had some strategies to confuse you. Wasn't your team ready to play?" Alliyah patted her sister's back soothingly, just like what their mother would do to them. She was ready if Artemis would bawl her eyes out too. But it seemed impossible for her sister to do that. Artemis would always forbid herself to be emotional in front of anyone. She'd either isolate herself or just cry in her room. Alliyah felt some pity towards her sibling and she somehow hoped that the Slytherins would win too. It was all for Artemis anyways. Ally made an effort to even watch the Slyherins more even though she stood on the Ravenclaw stands during the game. The Slytherin stands were just filled with terror, not to mention that Professor Kalif Styx was there. However, the sweetest professor alive was accompanying him. It was strange but Ally couldn't bear to stay their for almost an hour without feeling uncomfortable.
<i>
</i>

</COLOR>
<COLOR color="#000"> There were times that Alliyah could be so odd. Artemis suppressed the urge to roll her eyes in a dramatic manner but decided to stop herself anyways. Instead, she shook her head and just beside Alliyah to talk and have a decent conversation with her. Alliyah was always the type that someone could never resist talking too, either it was for a conversation of happiness, sadness or insults. Artemis put her arms around her knees and secured them so that her knees would not go fall down. The Slytherin was worn out by yesterday's match, physically and emotionally. She had no bad injury too and this was the ever first game that no Bludger hit her. The Chasers were usually the target however the Ravenclaw Keeper was injured a little severely. Artemis was glad that there weren't any blood that ran out or else she'd probably faint in the Pitch or become paler than ever. "And delete that picture of me please. I probably look ridiculous or something." Pleaded the blonde in a quiet tone, not looking at Ally in the eye. Their eye colour was just the same and so looking at Alliyah was like looking at her own eyes in the mirror. Alliyah was just a bubblier reflection of Artemis whilst Artemis was an older version of Alliyah. Artemis shrugged lamely, deciding to just think about her birthday after the exams. It would be the holidays anyways and perhaps their family can celebrate in England with proper guests. It was lonely to celebrate in Hogwarts and she never really told anyone when her birthday is. It embarrassed Artemis on how people would greet her a happy birthday. Artemis disliked things being kept from her and gifts were not exactly necessary during her annual birthday celebrations. "I just have other things to pay more mind too. I have my electives right now, Alliyah. It adds more to the subjects I'm taking." She murmured as she now faced her younger sister. In her seventh year, she would make sure to drop History of Magic and Astronomy. And perhaps Transfiguration too. Those subjects only added more black circles under her eyes.

"I have no idea with them. I was ready to play but Romanes replaced me when I missed the Quaffle. I just hope that we'd get our revenge next time." The Slytherins were the usual cunning and ambitious people. They always loved to reach the top with hardly making any effort. They were just outwitted this time but Slytherin would always come first than the rest. Artemis had her faith in her house. Next year, Isabella Romanes would be their captain once more and she was almost sure that if they still had a game, they would train hardcore this time. Artemis was willing to do something difficult for her house no matter what the circumstances were. The Slytherin stopped thinking of herself and returned her attention to her sister. Artemis shifted her position to face Alliyah properly. Once she did so, she spoke up, "So how are the Gryffindors? Are you liking it with them?" Artemis said, with a hint of interest mixed with her casual tone. Alliyah was always open about her love and pride for Gryffindor and Artemis couldn't help but be amused about everything that her sister would utter and praise about it.
<i>
</i>

</COLOR>
<COLOR color="#000"> Alliyah toyed with the strap that was connected to the camera so that it may be slung over her neck. Her blue eyes were still stuck on Artemis though, wondering whether she should approach or help her. Okay, maybe she did feel guilty about what she did but it was just a playful joke. Artemis could handle her baby sister's small jokes and surprises right? Alliyah stepped forward and offered Artemis her hand. Her sister rejected it though and she looked over her camera. Alliyah heard her sister's request and started to search for her sister's photo. Alliyah picked the bulky device up from its hanging position and now clicked the button that had a trash bin on it. She selected yes and deleted the photo within three seconds. Her camera still looked new but Alliyah fawned over those that could develop moving photos. It was not muggle but heck, she did not care. It all involved photography anyways. "There you go. Deleted." She grinned at Artemis and then winked slyly, as it say that she'd better check it. Alliyah sat down and thought of Artemis' picture in her camera. It was looked tranquil since her eyes in the photo were just staring into nothingness. The sun was out and the clouds were as puffy as ever. Afterwards, Alliyah just hoped that she saved it instead of following Artemis' request. Only that image was a picture of someone who she knew and the rest were flowers, shrubs, the clouds, the scenery of a peaceful lake and some landscape that she took last year in England. Ally clicked a few buttons to browse the other pictures that she took, most of them she forgot where she took. Still, they were all good shots and worth developing in a muggle shop. However, her thoughts were interrupted by Artemis bland response. Alliyah shook her head in disagreement to Artemis' actions. "You're overdoing yourself Artemis. Take a rest or just sit here like there's no tomorrow." Alliyah frowned as she suggested this, wondering why Artemis would try doing that to herself. No she wasn't trying, she just had no choice. Was being a third year really that difficult? Alliyah hoped not. She would have to ask Professor Kingsley what it's like to be in third year when she would choose her electives.

The Quidditch game was nothing really great for Alliyah. She knew it was one of those important events that Hogwarts held but she honestly did not contain any love towards it. Her hobby was a lot different from those cliché students that wanted to talk about Quidditch all day long. Alliyah adored photography and that was mainly it. The minor ones were her love for the muggle world and sweets. She did not understand why Artemis loved it and how she played the dangerous sport. Alliyah also loathed the pressure that each players were carrying especially how the Slytherin captain was glaring at all of them. "Hmph, so that's her name? She was scary, gosh." Alliyah had no idea how Artemis handled all those practices and glares but she was a survivor for Quidditch. Her speed was okay it was not so bad. It was simply all the pressure that just confused her hence she lost the Quaffle and failed to save the goal. Alliyah nodded eagerly when she heard Artemis mention her house. They were just finished celebrating yesterday and there were still a few remains of trash in the common room. All of them were like wild animals, the way they partied till death. Still, it was fun because they won the game versus Hufflepuff. Gladly, no drunk people were present. Either Alliyah did not see them or they went to bed in a tipsy mode. "How are the Slytherins? They're feeling bad, I presume?" Alliyah pleasantly interrogated but counted Artemis in her mind whilst she thought of, "Slytherins". Alliyah knew that her sister was as busy as a bee but a loss from a Quidditch game still made her melt with sadness. Thankfully her sister did not hold grudges for a long period of time. She'd probably forget it or call it off.
<i>
</i>

</COLOR>
<COLOR color="#000"> The times that Artemis spent with her dear sister was rare in the castle considering that she was busy here and there. Artemis was even frustrated with Arithmancy, wondering why she took it. The same constant nagging reached her mind though, every time she would rant about it mentally. It all concerned her future occupation with her parents counting on her. Her teenage life was messy but Artemis did not give an actual damn about that. She wanted to rant all the things that were messing up with her to Alliyah. Unfortunately so, the girl was not that type of person who would be caught ranting. Artemis as her ordinary self, would rather keep it all within her mind. She was cautious of what she would say, careful to not spill out any of her worries. "Actually, I was planning on doing that until you came." Artemis muttered bitterly, sensing that she hit a soft spot on her sister. She braced her wits, wondering why she was being so snappy. Yesterday's game still had a pang on her chest, but she also had other worries to settle. It was frustrating Artemis for she never really experienced anything this bad. The younger years of her short life were a lot more uplifting to the spirits. She was ignorant of the stresses that other people would often experience. Artemis was young but not as young as she was ages ago. The blonde sighed apologetically, lifting her head up to face Alliyah. "Okay, I'm sorry. I know I was harsh but -" Artemis sighed again. "I'm just beaten out, really." She continued to stare at her sister with a frown. She really did not expect herself to be like this, especially towards her only sibling. Artemis shrugged and bowed down her head, to give a little effect for her apology.

It took a whilst for Artemis to conjure what Alliyah was talking about. She was momentarily lost in her blank thoughts, drifting towards nowhere in specific terms. It was all blank, her mind and listening to Alliyah was quite an effort. Artemis averted her eyes from the thing that she was focusing on and chuckled dryly, amused that Alliyah was intimated by their captain. True, Isabella Romanes was indeed terrifying when her team did not to what she wanted them to accomplish. They lost the game, which probably irked her big time. Artemis winced inwardly when Alliyah mentioned the name of her house, noting that she herself was a self proclaimed proud member of the house. "I honestly don't have a clue. We still have our pride. The grudges will be gone after a whilst though. Perhaps a few good months will do." The blonde was not certain but her mind had a strong feeling that the Slytherins were known to keep their grudges for what seemed like a lifetime. Artemis countered that idea though because she herself was not really a keeper of old time grudges. She knew how to forget and move on.
<i>
</i>

</COLOR>
<COLOR color="#000"> The view from the cliffs soothed down Alliyah's nerves, after all the partying and stares that came from the other houses. Alliyah was not stressed and she was ignorant to her marks. She did not strive as hard as before and yet she was okay. She would soon see the Acceptables printed beside each subject. Alliyah was only having fun and her immature self whispered to take all the fun there is around her. She did so, and it relieved her from the minor worries she has. Alliyah knew that she and her sister were two different specimens, apart from being happy from dry. Alliyah winced when she heard the harsh words from Artemis. Her lips then frowned as she glared at Artemis. The Gryffindor watched as her sister apologized after a few seconds and her face softened into a sympathetic one. "I do know that. No need to be irritated." Alliyah softly patted Artemis' shoulder again and she sighed whilst she leaned back on the tree. It was rough on her smooth skin but mother nature was not a bother to Ally. She was fond of it, especially the soft rains that would spill. Alliyah was always the freak when it came to appreciation towards anything.

The silence was broken when Artemis spoke about her house. It was maybe true, that only a few quiet months would help them. The optimistic Gryffindor nodded in understanding. Alliyah had no hate towards the Slytherins and she viewed them as misunderstood people. She never spoke that opinion to anyone though. Other Slytherins still claimed to be that stuck up arses they were. "What electives did you take again?" Alliyah asked quietly to have a change of topic. Talking about Quidditch was awkward especially with her, when she had no clue about the game. Conversing about the electives would probably her best choice for a discussion, because she still had no preference of what to choose.
<i>
</i>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back