A Surprise.. or two.. or three..

Larissa Sedgwick

OOC First Name
Beth / Bethy
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Cherry Wand 12 1/2" Essence of Wood Rose
Larissa hauled her bags off the Hogwarts express, her silvery hair blowing into her pale face.
She grunted goodbyes to friends as she dragged her bags with her to the exit.
Larissa hoped her mum was there- She could carry her bags for her.

Larissa, who was wearing a better aired outfit, waited patiently for the familiar footstep of her mother.
She peered down into her bag as she waited, noticing an un-opened packet of bertie-botts nestled at the bottom.
Larissa looked around and opened the packet still in her bag. She pulled out a red bean and popped it quickly into her mouth.
There was a spluttering noise as Larissa felt the heat of the sweat. "Chilli." She said, rolling her eyes at her bad luck.

Mrs. Sedgwick was late. This was not something surprising. Especially since Larissa had met Grakul, she had fallen behind on everything. It was starting to worry her..
But she kept strong, mostly for the sake of her love.

The evening sun shone outside and Mrs. Sedgwick headed into the station to meet her daughter.
She paused for a moment as she felt someone give her hand a slight squeeze before releasing it and letting her walk to where she could now see Larissa.
"Larissa!" Mrs. Sedgwick hissed, her eyes noticing the bertie-bott in Larissa's mouth.
"Come on, you son't want to be late back. I have a surprise."
Mrs. Sedgwick grabbed her daughter's hand and led her outside the station and towards a blue car.
She placed the bags in the boot and shepherded Larissa into the back.
Then, Mrs. Sedgwick herself, climbed inside the car, getting comfortable in the front and smiling at the man in the passenger seat.

Larissa spat out her sweet into a nearby bin.
She followed her mother out to the car and climbed inside.
It was lovely and spacious. It always was.
Larissa began thumbing through her diary.
She'd made no entries so far this year. There wasn't much to say.

Larissa only noticed the man in the front of the car once they had started driving.
"Mum," Larissa said, eyebrows raised. She didn't think it was Davmorn in the front.. Or Andros..
"Who is that?"

Mrs. Sedgwick smiled.
"He's your first surprise," Larissa said, eyes wide and happy.
"Meet your soon-to-be step-father."
Mrs. Sedgwick waited for the pleased and surprised look on Larissa's face.
Davmorn had been happy for her, why couldn't her daughter be too?

Whatever her mother expected, Larissa doubted she expected this..
"Step-father?" Larissa repeated, her blue eyes turning to fury. "I ALREADY TOLD YOU, MOTHER, I DON'T WANT ANOTHER DAD, WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER MAN CLUTTERING UP THE HOUSE. ESPECIALLY NOT ONE YOU THINK IS DECENT!" Larissa screamed this at the top of her lungs, eyes bulging, firey sparks flying from her mouth, not caring that the man in the front could hear this. Why shouldn't he hear this? He'd be getting a taster of the next few years.

A screech of breaks. Panic. Screaming.
Mrs. Sedgwick was driving at full speed, eyes unfocussed yet fixed to the road.
She had been driving fine until Larissa's sudden outburst.
"Larissa!" Mrs. Sedgwick shouted, stopping the car in a layby.
There wasn't far to go. Just a mile.
"Get out. You can't come back until you learn to behave!"

Larissa fiercly opened the door, bending the handle as she yanked it.
She stepped, grabbed Ted's cage- which a rather blustered Ted was in- and carried it up the road.
So she'd walk home. "I WONT COME BACK, IN THE NAME OF MERLIN'S SAGGY LEFT BUTTOCK, I WONT COME BACK!"
Larissa hurried off along the road.
Ted began to sqwuak and Larissa reached a finger throught the cage to stroke him.
Ted could feel the tension. It was winding him up and frightening him.

Grakul opened the car door. He sighed.
This girl- the daughter of the woman he loved- had already rejected him.
Yet this seemed to increase some peculiar satisfaction inside Grakul.
He had always had a slight sadistic side- he enjoyed watching people's emotions. Hearts on sleeves.
But there seemed to be something more to the young Larissa.
"You keep driving, I'll make sure she gets back safe." Grakul said through the window to Larissa Senior, giving her a quick peck before hurrying after the young Larissa.

He walked beside her, feeling her fury, feeling more powerful.
"So," Grakul said casually, "You hate me? Tell me more.."
He gave her a lopsided smile. One which seemed almost infuriating.

Larissa, who had been petting Ted, looked up and into Grakul's eyes.
He had a very enchanting face. Very.. dark.
"Why should I tell you anything?" Larissa asked with venom in her voice, "Why are you even still here?"
Larissa stopped walking and turned to the man, "Who are you?"

Grakul simply nodded.
"True, and so right that you should ask questions.. You're a smart girl." He winked at her.
He had a feeling that life around Larissa would be more than just a challenge.
"My name is Grakul Gellantara, I am 34 years old, an invisibility task force employee and a very hated man.. by you, so it would seem." Grakul smiled, his eyes watching the black raven.
"Ted, isn't it?" Grakul said, nodding to the raven. "Your mother told me all about your liking for the so called.. 'darker' beings of this world.. I'm sorry to hear about your two headed snake.. I had a snake once.. accidentally stabbed it with my wand while doing transfiguration." He let out a small laugh.

Larissa continued walking.
"Grakul Gellantara?" Larissa laughed, "That's a stupid name- I hope you're not giving that to my mother." Larissa didn't hesitate to display her discust.
When Grakul took an interest in her pet raven and told her about the snake he'd owned, she began to gain interest.
"Alright," Larissa bargained, "I'll let you marry my mum if you get me a new snake... Or a broom.. A good one. Not a stupid thing." Larissa smiled darkly. She could easily win this 'war'.

Grakul looked blankly at Larissa.
"Alright," he said, his eyes bright, "You're on."
They were almost home. He could see the car parked and Larissa Senior running around the house madly.
"So, you into Quidditch? Only.. I have tickets to see the Chuddley Cannons play in a few weeks time and your mother isn't interested.. though I suppose I could take your brother." Grakul smiled slyly.

Larissa was a little surprised by the acceptance of the offer but smiled.
"Right, nearly home," she said, noticing how close they were- Just another five minutes..
"The Chuds? Bleh," Larissa said, shaking her head, "I prefer the Moutohora Macaws, at least they can catch." She smiled.
"But alright, I suppose as you desperately need me, I shall go."
Larissa had only been to a Quidditch match once- When she was four and went with her dad and brother. They'd seen the Moutohora Macaws play.

Larissa arrived at her driveway. She began to walk towards the large bungalow and pulled the front door open.
She hated the fact they lived in a muggle neighbourhood.
Mr. Number 10 was walking his cat again. If anyone suspected someone in the street, it would be Mr. Number 10.

Mrs. Sedgwick finished putting up the 'welcome home' decorations and began on the dinner-
Sausages, eggs, beans and chips.
She hummed the tune to one of her favourite radio shows, while stirring a bowl of beans and flicking through Witch Weekly.

Mrs. Sedgwick her the door make a slight crack as it opened.
"Welcome home, Larissa!" She called through from the kitchen.
Quite a few changes had happened to the house;
A large television sat in the lounge.

Larissa could hear her mother in the kitchen.
She knew she'd probably be cooking something 'special' and, to make matters worse, cooking it muggle style.
Larissa rolled her eyes and walked straight to her room, Ted's cage in one hand.

Larissa walked to the window. Ted flapped his wings and Larissa opened the window. She opened Ted's cage and watched him stretch his wings. He gave her an affectionate peck and headed off out the window, wings extended and flying free.
"I want you back in two hours." Larissa muttered, echoing her mother.
She began unpacking her bags. They lay on the floor, waiting for her to sort them.
Larissa delved into the first one and pulled out her wand, secret sweet stash, diary, quill and everchanging ink.
She began to write.

December 2022 said:
Dear Diary,
It's fifteen days to Christmas. I wonder if Grakul will keep his side of the deal?
Probably not. Men are so untrustworthy.
Mum's making dinner. Just got home.
Ted's out flying. Hope he's back before dark.
Wonder when Libby will get here? Wonder if Robert's still coming..

Write soon,
Laris.
x

Grakul followed Larissa through the front door.
He pulled off his large shoes and walked into the kitchen.
"I think I know just what to get you charming daughter for Christmas."
Grakul smiled, his arms wrapped around Larissa Senior as he scanned an article in Witch Weekly.

Larissa woke up the following morning, feeling hardly cheerful.
She rarely was cheerful. The word in its self rather discusted her.
Larissa pushed back her duvet and swung her legs out of bed.
Ted had already gone hunting. He usually left just after 7.
Larissa turned to the clock. It was nearing 10. She rubbed her eyes and stood up.

She was wearing, what were currently, her only set of
pyjamas.
Larissa could hear two voices in the kitchen.. No.. three.
Her ears pricked to listen for the details in the voice and what was being said..
It all sounded the same.
Larissa stood up and walked through to the kitchen, yawning and stretching.
She nearly fell over in shock.

"Hello, Lissy." Davmorn said, opening his arms to give her a brotherly hug.
He was very much a family man. He wasn't afraid to show he loved his sister..
Although, he knew how vile she could be.. But the fact he towered over her, was something.
"How's school? Did you miss me? How did your exams go? .. Why aren't you dressed?"

Larissa stepped away from her big brother in discust.
She hated hugs: She had never been one for family and she wasn't about to start now.
Larissa decided to answer her brother's questions.
She reached into the cupboard and pulled out a box of enchanted colour-changing cereal.
She began to pour milk from the fridge on it and immediately, the little hoops began cycling blue, green, purple, red and pink.
Larissa shrugged. "School is not amazing. No, certainly not. Perfect except for Astronomy.. But I got O's in Herbology, Astronomy and Defence Against the Dark Arts." Larissa scooped up her cereal with a wooden spoon. Her favourite spoon.
She popped the first lot into her mouth and crunched effortlessly.

"That's great," Davmorn said, proud his sister was doing so well.
He leant against the kitchen work surface and smiled at his mother who was sitting on the sofa in the lounge, Grakul beside her.
"So," Davmorn said, smiling broadly, "You going to be mum's bridesmaid? We need to get you a new outfit, of course.. What colour?" Davmorn had been allowed to help organise the wedding.
They had already decided on a date.. A bit sooner than expected.

Larissa almost choked on her cereal.
"No! I don't want to wear a stupid dress. The wedding isn't for years, is it, mum?"
Larissa turned to her mother for reassurance, facing her through the serving large serving hatch.

Mrs. Sedgwick was silent for a moment.
"Listen, honey, we're certain this will work and we're not getting any younger.. So we thought we should bring it forward. We've fixed a date. It's in August.."
She prepared herself for Larissa's screams and anger.

Her mother had been quite right to prepare for battle.
Larissa launched into her attack. She swore loudly, knocking her cereal bowl onto the hard floor.
It smashed on contact.
Larissa stared angrily towards her mother, her eyes suddenly flicked to Grakul and noticed the vase between.
She couldn't control herself. The vase exploded right infront of her mother.
"I HATE YOU!" Larissa shouted, eyes blazing, fists clenched.
"I hate both of you!" She gave Davmorn a hard punch in the stomach before running off to her bedroom.

Larissa hardly noticed Ted was back and that he'd brought her a present. The dead creature was on her pillow.
Larissa picked it up and threw it across the room. She began violently scribbling in her diary.

December said:
STUPID MOTHER!
She thinks this man is the right guy for her.
She's so wrong! I hate her.
And they're getting married in August.
I have my birthday in August!
ARGH! I hate her so much!
Stupid Davmorn isn't helping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back