A suprising letter

Joshua Hanson

Josh was sitting on his balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean. He loved to just sit and watch the activity below, sometimes joining in. In his time in California, he had learned how to surf, Rollerblade, and play beach volleyball. He loved to mingle with the women that frequented the beach in the 'backyard' of his apartment building. He sometimes felt a bit guilty about how he came by the place, but only when an old acquaintance of the former occupant stopped by. They were always surprised to hear that the guy that lived here suddenly moved to Africa to be a volunteer worker in a hospital. Probably since the guy was a computer geek, but whatever. He 'moved' and Josh had the place now.

As he sat on his lounge chair, he was surprised to see an owl arrive that he did not know. "Merlin's beard. Who is that from? That is not Tristan's owl, or Daisy and Lief's." He was muttering to himself, somewhat upset that he was disturbed from watching the beach volleyball game that was going on between the girls that looked like they could be Playboy models. He fed the owl a treat before taking the letter from its leg. "Hang on a bit, will ya? May need you to take a response back to whomever sent you." He was surprised at the paper. "Muggle paper? What the heck?" When he opened the note, his jaw dropped to the sand below the building.
Josh,
Mum's gone crazy and I need your help. Please apparate to the Forbidden Forest as soon as possible. I will explain everything then.

Blake

Josh was stunned. He had not heard from Cloe or Blake for over a year, and now suddenly Blake was contacting him? He reread the note again, trying to make sense of it. He opened the glass patio door and walked inside his apartment. The letter was set on the coffee table as Josh went to the kitchen and poured himself a shot of firewhiskey. "Do I want to get involved with this? Argh. I barely know the kid, but he is mine. And if Cloe went nuts, that would explain her leaving. Again. And would explain why Blake was taken so suddenly." He found a pen in a drawer in the kitchen and sat down on the sofa. Pulling a magazine from the top of the table, he put the note on top of it. He began to write in the unused portion of the paper.
Blake,

Wow. That would explain a lot. I will help you out, but I cannot enter the Forbidden Forest. No one is allowed to be on school property unless you are a student. I gather you are in NZ? Meet me in Brightstone Village tomorrow at 10am. Hog's Head. I need to keep a low profile, so I will be polyjuiced. I will explain later. Find a booth in the back.

Josh

He returned to the balcony and tied the note to the owl. "Go find Blake. Hurry." Giving the bird a treat, she was off with a hoot. Josh returned inside to assemble what he needed for the journey, grabbing a broom just in case. Then he had a thought. Hurrying into the living room, he grabbed a piece of paper and the pen he was using before.
Lily,
I know I haven't written since Blake disappeared, but I wanted to check to see if he was in contact with you. I am meeting him in Brightstone tomorrow. If you can, keep an eye out for him. I think he is lurking in the forest.
Josh

He put the pen down and walked to his bedroom. Quickly he tied the note to the leg of his owl, then sent it out the window. Having gathered everything he needed, he returned to the living room and apparated to a safe spot on his journey to find Blake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back