Closed A Slip of the Foot

Eluned Strangewayes

on top of the daybreak, the last one to bed
OOC First Name
Clairey
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Eluned stood on top of the climbing frame, watching the sky and wondering what would come first: Mervyn, or the rain. Fifteen minutes, he'd said. Even accounting for distractions, or minor injuries, he was at least ten minutes late. She wouldn't normally have minded - she'd gotten used to keeping herself entertained when Ten wasn't around - but the park was getting chilly, and she hadn't even brought a coat.

A helpful little voice piped up in the back of her head. Move, you plonker! Well, that would warm her up, but it wasn't very exciting, was it? She could only do so many laps of the climbing frame before the effort exceeded the fun. What would Ten have suggested? A challenge, perhaps. Bet you can't do a lap on one foot. Ha! What a silly wager. Of course she could do it - and what's more, she could do it with her eyes closed.

Now the little voice was speaking her language. Balanced on one leg, eyes firmly shut (apart from the occasional peek), she hopped up and down wooden ramps, pulled herself over nets, and maneuvered along ropes. She was the master of the playground, the queen of the climbing frame! That was, until she reached the suspended bridge. In one miscalculated hop, her foot twisted and slipped between two planks. She gave it a tug, expecting it to come free as easily as it had gone in, but no matter which way she bent her ankle, it simply wouldn't budge.

And then it started to rain.

Half a dozen children flocked towards the gate. "Hey!" Eluned called. "Kid stuck on the bridge! Come back! Oh, OK, or just leave me, that's fine. Hey, I'm being sarcastic! Get back here right now." She shifted her weight around, shaking the bridge.
"Hellooo? Anyone?"

Emilia had loved spending the afternoon playing with kids her own age, kids she had never met before. Walking into a random group of people was never something that worried the young girl, and not long after arriving, she initiated a group game of tag. Emmy was having a great time - until the rain fell. Of course, Emmy wouldn't have minded continuing in the rain, but felt herself getting hyped with all the other kids screaming and running out of it, that of course she followed suit - knowing her parents would be wandering around Brightstone somewhere, and it wouldn't be too hard to find them. Holding the gate open for the last of the kids to run through, Emmy turned back, hearing someone call out. She couldn't quite make out what the person was saying. "Are you okay?!" She yelled back, before deciding to go to them to double check anyway. Letting the gate close behind her, Emmy ran towards the other person, putting a hand over her eyes to shield them from the rain. "Merlin! What happened?!" Emmy asked, before starting to move up the playground to get to the girl.

Beni was liking it here so far, but he liked most places he'd ended up over the past eleven years. There was a lot more green here, at least compared to London where he'd last lived. And his grandmother wasn't so bad. She was much more active than he'd pictured a grandma to be. But not so active that she'd kept up with him when he raced ahead to the park. Rain or not, he was going to go down that huge slide he'd seen on the way in. She'd promised. With a quick glance back, he saw she was still occupied taking photos of the greenery, so he sprinted into the park, barely taking note of anyone else.

Hand over foot, he maneuvered the obstacles. It wasn't until he was at the top of the slide that he realized there was a girl shouting about. He hesitated at the top, torn between helping her and the slide. If his grandmother reached the entrance before he could slide down, he'd miss the opportunity. Spotting another girl seemingly heading over, Beni shrugged and slid down, chuckling to himself as he banged about, picking up speed in the area where the slide was already slick with water. He bounced out at the bottom, nearly losing his balance. Quickly, he looked around to make sure no one noticed and spotted the two girls again. "Uh...are you ok?" he shouted.

Visions of being stuck on the bridge all night flashed through Ned's mind with increasing velocity, until at last one of the girls turned back to help her. "Yes! You hero!" Another wiggle and tug confirmed her foot was still stuck fast. "I don't know. My foot got stuck. Pull me out," she said, extending her arm. But they weren't alone in the park, and hearing a second voice Ned contorted to see who was there. "Hello! I believe I am in what's called a spot of bother. Someone push, someone pull. I don't care if you hurt me - break my foot, if you have to - just get me out."

Emmy was somewhat surprised that the girl didn't know how her foot got stuck, but she wasn't going to let the poor girl suffer, especially after she called her a hero. She walked carefully on the bridge to the girl, turning to look at the boy who had called out as well. Emmy suppressed a shiver as the girl mentioned breaking her foot to get it out; she'd rather not do that, but she would keep the girl company all night in the rain if she had to. Rather that than break a foot. "I'm up here, so I can pull?" Emmy suggested, crouching down to try figure out how to pull the foot out.

Benicio took a look up at the bridge she was stuck on and shrugged his shoulders. "I guess I'll push?" he questioned, trying to figure out just how he'd reach. Beni positioned himself under it and lifted his arms up. He realized that if he went on his tiptoes, he'd be able to get enough of his palm on her foot to push. Beni pushed with all his might not realizing he might have to work with the two girls to do this.

Ned peered through the slats, wondering if the boy had started pushing yet. Why were they being so gentle? A broken foot meant a lawsuit, and a lawsuit meant a new broom and maybe also a puppy. "Push more! Pull!" she said. The spots of rain had turned into a drizzle, and darker clouds still were rolling in over the harbour. "Oh, wait - it's me. I wasn't pulling. OK, let's do it on three. Ready? One, two, three, go!"

Emmy swept the wet hair that was now sticking to her forehead off of her face, trying to suppress a laugh when the girl said it was herself that hadn't been pulling. Emmy smiled at the girl, nodding her head, before making eye contact with the boy and smiling at him too. She grimaced as the girl counted down, before pulling the foot up with all her might, closing her eyes, not wanting to see what was actually happening.

Push more? This girl was asking a lot. Beni dropped back onto his heels, listening to the instructions she was giving them. He nodded, listening to the countdown and then rising up on his tiptoes and pushing with all of his might. The rain was falling on his face as he looked up at the bottom of the bridge, hoping the two girls were making some progress above.

On three, Ned pulled. There was a terrible (but exciting) moment when she thought her ankle was going to break, but then the planks gave and her foot popped out of the gap. "Whew," she said, twisting to examine the damage. Just a little scratch. "That was fun. Thanks, guys." Ducking under the rope, she hopped to the ground. Though it was still only drizzling, her clothes were stuck to her skin, and she had begun to shiver. "Hmm... I should stay here 'til my brother gets back. Be a real shame if he turned up an hour late and I wasn't here. Any ideas?"

Upon hearing the girl's words, Emmy opened her eyes and looked at her, and she didn't seem to be crying. Emmy looked at the ankle, and there didn't seem to be any break - in fact, the foot was still attached even! Emmy breathed a sigh of relief, letting out a giggle when the girl said it had been fun. At the girl's question, Emmy looked over to the boy and shrugged her shoulders. "I was going to go find my parents, but I can stay with you until your brother comes?" Emmy offered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back