A Short Stroll

Aurora Palmer

OOC First Name
Miss Bee <3
Wand
Yew Wand 13 1/2 Essence of Phoenix Feather
Aurora Sage Palmer stood in the middle of the road, taking in her surroundings. The streets of Obsidian Harbour were bustling with tons of wizards, the sun was shining down on her, and there was a slight breeze. It felt wonderful to be outside on such a great day. Rory was alone since she couldn't take Annie with her because she wasn't a wizard. She asked the next door neighbor to watch her and keep her entertained for about three hours and she gladly accepted. She strolled down the street and smiled at the passing strangers. 'I wish Annie was a wizard. It'd be nice to have some company...'

The summer holidays had once again come around and although he hadn't been out of Hogwarts long Daniel was already missing being at school. However, much to the disdain of his parents. Daniel's academic performance had lacked luster. He did however plan to change his attitude to his schooling for his few remaining years. He aimed to achieve at the very least one O in his O.W.Ls and to make the Quidditch team. 'No pressure' He thought to himself as he walked the streets of Obsidian harbor peering into the shops, coins rattling in his pockets as he walked. He headed into a couple of shops to top up on his stationary for his holiday homework assignments that had been pilled on him and his fellow students. As he walked up and down the street, his canary yellow and black scarf swinging from his neck he noticed a girl of a similar age walking up the street. She seemed to be alone and, from what Daniel could tell. Was wishing for a fellow wizard to talk to. He had not seen her around Hogwarts before so it was possible that she was a pending transfer student from another country. He walked up to her with a small smile, "Hi, not lost are you?" He asked.

Aurora turned around with a smile already on her face, "Lost? Well it is my first time but I wasn't heading anywhere in particular so no, not lost." She paused then extended her hand, "My name's Aurora but I'm usually called Rory." The boy looked close in age to her so she was happy to talk to him. She had met a younger girl only the other day but Rory could tell she was not old enough to be in the same year. Rory had just recently turned fifteen in November and the girl, Isabella, looked to be about ten or eleven. Aurora waited to hear his own introduction.

Daniel's smiled widened as the girl engaged him in conversation. "New huh, nice to meet you Roy," He said taking her and gently shaking it. "My names Daniel, you planning on transferring to Hogwarts next fall?" He asked hoping that he would be seeing this girl in the following school year. He hadn't made a lot of friends at Hogwarts as it were. He had spent most of his time to floating by, barely passing his classes and not socializing must. It was almost as if he wasn't there.

"Daniel? Nice name. Yes, I went to Beauxbatons in France," Rory's eyes went from head to toe then she continued, "I'm assuming you go to Hogwarts...?" Rory looked down at her own clothes and smoothed them out; she hated to make a bad first impression. She looked back in the direction she was once walking and started to take a few slow short steps.

"Roy is a pretty nice name too," He said smiling. A took a few moments to look the girl up and down trying to take in a first impression, the fact that he had stopped paying attention to his surroundings pretty much said it all. Even after he had stopped 'checking her out' he it still took him a moment to snap out of his daze and realise that the two of them had been standing in the middle of the street for a good few minutes. "We should start walking before people start to complain," He said. "So, any thoughts on what your Hogwarts house maybe?" He asked desperately finding something to ask.

"That's what I was thinking," Rory stated as she walked past a few stores, "Well I'm not Slytherin material and I'm not too bright, so I think that knocks Ravenclaw off as well. I suppose you could say I'm brave, but that's the only Gryffindor trait I have, I think. So my best bet is probably Hufflepuff but if not, then Gryffindor." Rory smiled, thinking of what she had heard about the Hufflepuff house. She had been told that they were all nice and friendly so Rory assumed that's where she would make the group of boy and girl friends that she was looking for, but she knew she could have one in any house.

Daniel turned his head as he looked in the windows of the shops as they passed them. He listened to Rory as she listed possible houses. He smiled when she mentioned that a likely fit for her would be Hufflepuff house. "Nothing wrong with Hufflepuff, we get a lot of stick but its a great house to be a part of, everyone's fiercely loyal and very friendly, its a fantastic atmosphere to live and study in," He said smiling. Since transferring from Hogwarts in Scotland to Hogwarts New Zealand, Daniel has found that Hufflepuff both here and there are very similar in the characteristics in its students. "It's a great for students that are transferring, its a very welcoming House," He said with a smile.

"Oh that's good. I'm sure I would like it there!" Rory smiled. She could already see herself in the Hufflepuff colors, cheering for the Quidditch Team and eating dinner with her friends. She imagined herself laughing in the common room and chatting with others outdoors. She felt that this would be the best year yet. "So you like the Hufflepuff House? Got a bunch of friends?" Rory asked as she watched the ground beneath her move at a slow pace.

Daniel smiled, "I love Hufflepuff house but I don't have a lot of friends. That's not a reflection of the house it's me personally. I'm not the most social of people but everyone was very welcoming when I arrived I just wasn't social enough to forge any friendships with my fellow housemates, I'm hoping to change that this year though," He said hoping that he could still make a group of friends this year and make it his best year yet.

"Oh that's excellent! Making a change. I am the type who likes a small group of friends. I do like to hang out with others though; they just aren't good friends like the ones that are in the group." She realized she had begun talking about her previous school but shook it off. She stopped to look at a neat looking broom.

Daniel nodded in agreement. "Yeah I get what you mean, having a lot of friends is great but its so much better to have a small group of best friends that you can tell things too." Daniel had walked a few steps before he realized that Rory has stopped in front of the Quidditch supply shop. Daniel doubled back to the shop and peered in the window. "Impressive isn't it. Do you fly much?" He asked her as he thought back to his time at home when he had learned to fly. He had yet to demonstrate his flying skills on the Quidditch pitch. This was something he planned to do the following school year.

Rory looked to Daniel and laughed, "Oh no, not me. I just think the brooms look cool. What about you? Play any Quidditch?" She stepped away from the store window and continued down the street. She began to wonder if she would be any good at Quidditch but then thought it was a silly idea since she needed to focus on her schooling.

Daniel scratched the back of his head as they walked away from the shop and continued down the street. "Nah, I'd love to try out for the team but I don't have my own broom and I don't trust the school brooms. There old and temperamental. Then again they can't be any worse than the brooms I learnt to fly on back in Scotland they were a nightmare, its a wonder I passed flying lessons at all learning on those things," He said thinking back to the times he had in his first year. "I think you should try out for whatever house team your in, it wouldn't hurt and it would be good to have a distraction from school work, providing you don't get behind on your school work," He said peering into a few more shops as they walked.

Rory laughed when he talked about the brooms at his other school. "Um. I don't know. I might try out, I might not. Or maybe even the next year when I'm a bit more settled in. I seem to do better when I have a routine down and then throw something to change it a little. Makes it a little different too." Rory smiled as she saw a few more interesting shops and looked through the glass windows. Nothing seemed to catch her eye though. Not enough to want to look more closely or even buy it.

Daniel understood her reasons for not wanting to try out right away, he had thought the same when he arrived at the school which was why he had put off trying out himself. However he couldn't wait to return to school now and try out, hopefully make the team as a beater just like when he was at Hogwarts Scotland. He stopped as they stopped outside the Owl Emporium, "Hey do you mind if we pop in here? I need to get some Owl treats," He asked politely as he hovered around the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back