A promise kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rukevra Vanderzuk

Having left Katheryn to continue enjoying her night, Rukevra headed towards one of the several refreshment tables. A sudden sense of dread flooded through him. Would Patricia even be at the ball. Would she even be able to look past their silly falling out enough to allow him a dance. Slowing his pace towards the tables, Rukevra glanced around the hall. It looked fantastic. The staff within this school certainly took pride in their events.

Reaching a number of snacks, the young Gryffindor sighed. He felt too sick to eat anything.

Pat sat on her bed in her dorm room, her brown orbes darting back and fourth from her fellow flatmates, Becky moreso. She knew her friend was a perfectionist when it came to what she wore but the fact that tonight was the Yule Ball gave way for special circumstances. Only added to by the fact that she had a date, and not just a date but with a boy who she seemingly had a huge crush on. She knew Stephen from Quidditch, he seemed like a decent bloke, she just hoped he treated Becky well after what happened at last years Yule Ball.

As the minutes ticked by Patricia looked at the clock and having already missed the beginning of the Yule Ball and she was sure the festivities were already well under way. She considered not going to the Ball, she didn't want to in the first place but she had too. She knew the last time she had seen Ruki hadn't been the most pleasant of meetings but she was hoping to fix that, tonight. The night of the Halloween Feast was in her mind, the time her and Ruki had spent talking and dancing they had both promised each other a dance at the Yule Ball, but would he still keep his promise, she knew she would.

After more persuasion from her friends they made their way down to the Ball. Patricia could hear the music echoing through the castle, growing louder as they neared their destination. Entering the Great Hall the girls all went their separate ways. Admiring the beautifully decorated hall Pat started to walk around the edge of the dance floor. Everyone looked elegant and so beautiful. Patricia looked down at her dress, she looked like nothing compared to everyone else, the dress wasn't even that pretty.

Sighing lightly she went over to the closest refreshment table, knowing it was the best place to get a view of the floor. Her eyes scanned the happy people dancing, not a care in the world. To be fair Pat didn't really have one either, she was getting over her brother's death, it still hurt to think about it, she wasn't looking forward to Christmas at home, it wouldn't be the same. Shaking the thoughts out of her head she made her way up the refreshment table. With her eyes still on the dance floor she didn't see someone standing in front of her. Patricia stopped in her tracks when she felt herself bump into someone. Quickly standing back she immediately started to apologise, "Oh crap, I'm sorry." she said looking up at the person. As she did she felt her gut twist uncomfortably. "Hello Rukevra." she said almost in a whisper. The words felt foreign coming out of her mouth. She hadn't called Ruki by his full name since their first meeting on the Quidditch Pitch. But that was when they were friends, Patricia wasn't too sure if they were even that anymore.

The items on the table would have looked appetising if his in-sides weren't churning about. Choosing to have a drink instead, Rukevra turned to his side. About to pick up a cup, the young boy was suddenly forced forwards as someone pushed into him. Clenching his fists, Rukevra growled as he swung around; fully intent on finding out why whoever it was felt the need to push him around. A female voice met his ears. An apology was spoken. It took Rukevra several seconds to realise whom the voice belong too.

With his fists still clenched, Rukevra's in-sides began practising their somersaults. "Patricia. Hello.". He felt no other words would suffice. If they weren't friends, then a 'good evening' seemed redundant. It seemed better with-out those words however, as the evening had been good up until this moment.

Patricia felt her heart sink at his words. Of course she hadn't been expecting much from him but hearing the words made it real. Too real! Patricia averted her eyes from him and they landed on the table. Of course, it was full of tasty foods and drinks, but tonight they didn't appeal to Patricia at all.

In fact with her stomach still knotting uncomfortably she couldn't bear to look at the food much longer. Lifting her eyes she saw Ruki's hand's or rather fists. Was it really that bad? Sighing lightly she figured that she had two options: stay, fulfil her promise, try to sort out their problem and leave or simply leave then and there. "So how have you been?" she went with option one.

The thought of losing a friend he had recently made tore Rukevra up in-side. It had been bad enough with Andromeda, but he knew the two of them would at least come to their senses soon enough. Patricia however, was different. She appeared much more fragile. Watching as the younger girl averted his eyes, Rukevra tried to piece together the shattered remains of the friendship. He needed people around him now more than anything.

Hearing her question, the transfer allowed his hands to relax. He had been as bad as usual for the past few weeks. The thought of heading home for the holidays weighed heavily on his mind. "I've been okay.". He lied. "Yourself?". Maybe a polite conversation would help repair the damages already ripping the pair apart.

Patricia felt an odd tenseness around Ruki, something she never felt around him before, she didn't like it. Why did she have to be so stubborn and not tell him everything at their last meeting, it wasn't such a hard thing to say - that was a lie but she had found the words before. Hearing his answer Patricia felt her gut knot again, of course he was fine, what should my friendship mean anyway. she thought to herself. She was just a silly little Hufflepuff after all, nothing really important.

"Things have been going good for me." she said semi-telling the truth. Of course there was the whole Joseph and Ruki things but apart from that she had caught up in classes, was expecting to do well in classes, meet a few other people and was planning to meet up with Niccy again during the holidays. Looking out to the dance floor Patricia decided it was now or never. "I know I'm probably the last person you want to spend time with...but, want to take me up on my promise? I wouldn't mind taking you up on yours?" she said with a small laugh, telling the truth.

So far the meeting was steady. Anger felt was subsiding; but the confusion remained. The Ukrainian still had no idea what he had done wrong to cause the younger girl to leave without a word. It suddenly hit him like a wall. This was how Andromeda felt after he had left. How could he have been so stupid. Rukevra began mentally kicking himself. He was useless. A waste. An awful friend. Words cut through his realisation. He still had a promise to keep.

Turning away from Patricia, Rukevra ran her request through his mind. There was very little he could do to apologise for his behaviour, but the Durmstrang student at heart knew he could change how everything played out from this moment on. Picking up the cup he had previously reached for, Rukevra poured himself a drink. Grasping it in his left hand, his right pressed against the table, the young Gryffindor turned his head towards Patricia. "Are you sure I'm worth a dance?". Rukevra turned away once more and took a drink. A drop of fire-whisky would have been perfect.

Patricia shyly watched Rukevra as she awaited his reply. He seemed to be taking a while to answer her, she became worried. Although she knew that she would be lucky if he even remembered about the promise - it wasn't like it was set in stone. Even if he did remember about his promise she knew she would be lucky if he would still want to fulfil it- she hadn't exactly been a good friend. Patricia watched the Gryffindor reached for a cup and poured himself as cup, was he stalling? Patricia attempted a smile as he turned to face her again but it quickly dissappeared as she heard what he said, "Of course you are!" she said, her voice was strong, she was sure of what she was saying. "Why would you say something like that?" she asked, a mixture of confusion and concern in her voice.

Swallowing the cold liquid sent a small chill through the young boy's chest. The band was playing a slightly depressing song in the background, as a young female voice travelled through the hall. Rukevra, un-aware of a drunken Andromeda making a show of herself on stage, ran Patricia's latest words through his head. How could he be worth anything. He was a failure.

Sighing, the young boy lowered his head and closed his eyes. Placing the slightly crushed cup on the table, the waste of a transfer slot attempted to understand his situation. Any thoughts he tried to conjure where impossible. He knew he just had to get on with it. "I..". The tempo of music changed. The female's voice had subsided. "A dance.". Rukevra's in-sides tightened. Was it truly worth the awkward silence; to hold each other with feelings of anger and confusion. The young boy wasn't sure what else to do. He would keep his promise and then head back to his date with Katheryn. She must be feeling slightly annoyed by now.

Confusion and worry still clear on the Hufflepuff's face, she watched as Rukevra took a drink. Still stalling. Patricia didn't know what to think anymore, she knew she had done wrong by Rukevra, leaving him at the Ball - alone (although there was not much she could do about that), but the fact that she didn't tell him why when he asked, was wrong. Why was he even still talking to her? She was a horrible person she had done so many bad things to her friends this year, how could she ever make it up to them?

Her face fell for a moment, she couldn't bare to look at him she hated herself for ruining their friendship. Hearing his voice she quickly lifted her head again - hopeful. But a small grimance formed on her lips again as he broke off. At his next words Patricia's facial expression lightened extremely. "Yes, please." She answered, smiling.

Seconds past before the young Hufflepuff answered him. Her voice was high. Her tone cheerful. Looking towards her, Rukevra took in the smile up-on her face. Maybe it was worth it. Sucking in a breath of air, the young Gryffindor drew in the supposed courage he held. Turning, Rukevra took a-hold of Patricia's hand and moved swiftly towards the dance floor. It was now or never.

Patricia felt the Gryffindor grab her hand and pull her on to the dance floor. She was a little taken aback by his abrubness but she didn't have time to think about it - she was too busy trying to make sure she wasn't going to bump into any of the dancing couples. As Patricia found her feet on the dance floor she waited for the man to take the lead - she didn't mind doing it herself but, despite the awkwardness between the two, this was Pats first dance with a boy at teh Yule Ball and she wanted to do things properly.

Reaching an empty part of the smooth floor, Rukevra turned in his tracks and let go of Patricia. The music was slightly fast paced, but it didn't matter to him. Starting to move, the young boy attempted to avoid the girls eyes; as much as it pained him to do so. The two of them needed to talk. Whether or not now was a good time was questionable. Continuing his movements, Rukevra was tempted to wait for her to speak; but felt it was best if he initiated. "The lake-front.". His words where audible over the music. "What-ever it was that happened, I wish to leave an apology.". The gentleman within him wasn't about to show dis-respect. "We have become separated over a small mis-understanding, and I feel we need to rectify that tonight.". At the very least, Rukevra was not heading home for the holidays with everyone angry with him.

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzY9UF4XAz4

Patricia let her arms fall to her side as Rukevra let go of her hands. Patricia heard the change in the tone of music, it was a fast one but unlike the Halloween Ball she didn't feel like dancing to a fast song too much. Seeing Rukevra initiate the dance she began to mirror his moves, with her own varation on them. She kept her eyes mostly on her feet or looking around at the others dancing around her, everyone was enjoying themselves, some more than others from what she could see - or hear rather. She couldn't bare to look up at Rukevra, she knew this was going to be awkward.

Hearing Rukevra's voice over the music she looked up at him again, sorrow in her face when she heard the first two words. The lakefront! She had tried not to think about that meeting too much, but it was hard not too. She had ated so childish then, why didn't she just tell Rukevra why she didn't return at the Halloween Ball, she had told others before seeing him. Patricia listened to the rest of his words and a look of confusion came on her face again. Why was he apologising? Patricia listened to him finish his words and a smile replaced the look of confusion. "I'd love nothing better than that." she said, sincerely. "But I don't know why you are apologising. I'm the one that should be sorry - and I am." she said lowering her head for a second, she was ashamed of her childish ways. "If you'll give me the chance I think I should explain what happened on Halloween night." she said, waiting to see if he would hear her out, she had to let him know, she didn't want him to think he had done anything wrong.

As the music continued to play, Rukevra slowed his movements to listen to Patricia. To hear she wished to fix their friendship caused a slither of hope to shine within him. At her next set of words Rukevra smiled and responded. "I apologise for acting the way I am. I have not been fair to you, not knowing your full situation; if there is one? And for that, I am sorry.". Rukevra hoped the young girl could forgive him for being a complete idiot.

Still moving with the sounds from the band, the young Durmstrang transfer listened to the Hufflepuff's words. So something had happened during Halloween. "Okay. Whatever it is, I'll listen.". Rukevra could only hope it wasn't all his fault.

Patricia listened to Rukevra's words, she smiled sweetly up at him, "Thank you." she responded. Even though she fully understood why he acted the way he did, she didn't hold it against him in the slightest. Despite this she still appreciated the apology. She let out a small sigh of relieve, things were definitely looking up for the two friends, they had both been so silly but it was good to know they were getting over that slight bump in the road and were on the way to recovery.

Now came the hard part, looking away from her dance partner, Patricia bit on her bottom lip as Rukevra agreed to listen to her story. Her heart began to speed up slightly, they way it did every time she told someone about Joseph. Taking a shaky breath she looking up into his piercing brown eyes, she felt like simply making up something but she wasn't going to back out again, Rukevra deserved to know the truth.

"Well. When I arrived at the refreshment table and retrieved the drinks I was about to make my way over to you again, but...Professor King asked to talk to me out in the Entrance Hall - away from the music and noise, so I obliged." she started off, the easy part, giving a little shrug at the end of her sentence, obviously she was going to do what Professor King asked her, he was the Headmaster for crying out loud. Taking another breath she continued. "So I went out to the Entrance Hall and once we in a quiet area he told me..um he told me some news." she felt herself starting to loose her confidence, but with another look at Rukevra she continued - she had too. "It turned out my brother had died earlier on in the day. I..well I broke down and I just couldn't face the crowds anymore so I had to get out. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner." she said with sincerity in her voice. "Can you forgive me?" she asked hopefully.

Conversations where an integral part of formal dinners during the times before Durmstrang. Stefan had brought his son up to be an honourable young gentleman, and would be damned if he failed at the simplest of tasks. Memories of those evenings flashed through Rukevra's mind, as if they where on a projection unit; flicking past one slide at a time. A pause in the play-back appeared when a voice floated across the transfers ears. Blinking the slides away, Rukevra took in the girl before him. She looked amazing. Sweet. Innocent. He had been innocent once. A five year old with the love of his mother, jumping on a bed; and enjoying every second of it.

With his brown eyes fixed in Patricia's, Rukevra allowed the younger girl to express her issues. As she began, the young boy listened. Her first set of words seemed regular enough. How could she not mention them before. Rukevra became slightly puzzled. Did she not trust him enough to know even the smallest amount of information. Noticing her shrug, the young boy scowled slightly. Did she not care either. Continuing with her words, it appeared to the ex-Durmstrang she was nervous. Even afraid. Surely she couldn't be lying to him. The very thoughts of him causing all of the problems re-surfaced. Rukevra began to hate himself again. He had hurt the young girl in some way, and she was too scared to tell him how. No. That couldn't be true. She wouldn't be at the dance with him. They wouldn't be talking as they where.

A huge castle of bricks tumbled onto Rukevra, as he stood glued to the dance floor. The music had changed several times over the past few moments, but the surrounding activities meant nothing to the young boy. His attention was rooted with Patricia. At least it was, until her words escaped her lips. A ringing sensation pounded the boy's ear-drums. He had been utterly selfish. He had made the entire situation about him. He was completely worth-less, and he knew it. Patricia's words stung him. She was asking for forgiveness. This was wrong. It was he who should be asking. He who should be sorry. He who should stop acting the spoilt; childish idiot, and grow up.

"Patricia.". He couldn't say anything more. He didn't know what to say. "I.. I'm sorry.". Rukevra's voice was quiet. The shock had numbed him. Stepping forward felt difficult. As a lump formed in his throat, Rukevra took hold of Patricia; and, moving her towards him, held her. Even if she didn't need the cuddle, he wanted her to know he would always be there. For the first time ever, Rukevra had openly expressed his inner emotions.

Just like all the times before Patricia felt tears starting to form in her eyes, she knew that it was going to be hard for her to talk about Halloween Night, about Joseph, for a while. Despite the tears that were now rolling down her cheeks she felt a sense of relieve, as if a burden had ben lifted off of her shoulders. She had been wanting to tell Rukevrafor a while now about what happened that night, she had felt so bad about leaving like that, but now she had told him she felt a better about it. She found it amazing how she and Rukevra hadn't known each other that long but she had gotten close to him, how she had wanted to repair the friendship that was still only new, but she knew one thing - she didn't care. As the tears flowed freely a smile dawned on the young girls face.

Feeling herself been pulled forward she found herself embraced in Rukevra's arms. She wrapped her arms around his waist glad of the comfort that was been offered to her now. Sure, during the few days she had been allowed off to visit home and attend her brothers funeral she had recieved countness numbers of hugs, but right here, right now she felt something different - she felt safe. Unintentionall enhaling his scent Patricia buried her head his chest for a short moment, until she stopped crying. It was taking her considerably less time to stop crying as the days passed by, but she still needed the odd cry, it made her feel better. Breaking away from Rukevra she whipped away her tears, letting out a lame laugh, "Gah sorry about that, but thank you." she said looking up to him through red eyes.

With one last sniffle she shaked her head so she could gather her thoughts again. The hall seemed less quiet now, it was getting late but she was far from tired. Hearing the pace of the music slow down again she turned back to the boy in front of her. "Well you kept your promise, now I believe it's my time." She said with a sparkle in her eyes. "Can I have this dance?" she asked stepping forward once again, lessening the gap between her and Rukevra.

Ze song ^_^ : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yerAdMWKtjI

While he held on to her, the young transfer felt the girl embrace him; returning his hug. Thoughts of his mother flashed through his mind. It had been too long since he had received a hug from her; from anyone. Whether or not he was making Patricia feel safe, he felt as if he was at this moment. The one girl he had met that could understand he had troubles, whilst she dealt with her own. It had taken him a while, but now Rukevra understood the same. He wasn't the only person with issues affecting their lives.

After the dance, Rukevra promised himself he would send an owl to Essie, apologising for his actions at The Gables. It would be too much for him to simply walk in through the fire-place, seeing as he had no idea where the house was. Rukevra's thoughts where interrupted as the young girl he held buried her head into his chest. She had begun to cry. The tears of pain embedded themselves into his jacket. Before he could react, the young Hufflepuff had moved away from him; apologising for her tears. "Never be sorry. Crying often helps.". It had been years since the boy himself had shed a tear, but he knew his words where true.

Time had past as the pair struggled with their feelings for others and themselves. Slow music made its way through the great hall, as snow fell from above. Rukevra looked into the blood-shot eyes of his friend. Her question caused him to smile with meaning for the first time that night. "Most certainly.". Straightening his jacket, Rukevra mirrored the girls steps forward; before placing his arms around her, and moving slowly to the music. The entire night had turned out perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back