A new meeting

Kari Kelly

Kari sat in a darkened corner in a darkened ally. Dark just like his spirits had been these past few days since his last encounter with Sarah. He missed her shining smile. He looked down at his hands, still wrapped in bandages, still throbbing in pain. He leaned his head down, not wanting to see any sunshine that may stray to his dark place.

He remembered the look Kala had given him when he dropped her off to Play with her friend Angela. It was a look of worry, a look of pity. She was scared that Kari would do something drastic, and he felt in just the mood for that. He wished to himself that he could have Sarah's bright smile to shine away his darkness. He started to sob. Not wanting to feel this pain any more. He whispered to himself, "Oh god I miss you Sarah."

Sarah had been watching Kari for a while. His hands were wrapped in bandages, and she felt horrible. She knew what she had said was very wrong. She hadn't wanted to hurt him at all. She knew what it was like to loose someone. She wasn't thinking when she had said those awful things. So she decided to walk over there. She approached him from the side, so that he might not see her.

"I was seventeen when he died. It was three days before the spring dance competition. I cried a lot." She said taking a seat by him, the tears forming in her eyes. "I didn't believe it. He was a great guy. I'm sure before what happened, Elizzabeth was amazing too."

Kari looked up eyes wide. There she was, sitting next to him. He couldn't think about what to say. In an almost pitiful voice he said, "Do you still hate me?"

She looked at him. Her eyes were red, and she had bags under her eyes. "I never hated you. But i hate myself." She looked at the bandages on his hand a few tears fell onto them. "I shouldn't have said anyhting..." She looked up with pain in her eyes. She didn't hate Kari, she never could. She wasn't a spiteful person normally, but with Kari, she was even less spiteful.

Kari leaned his head on hers. With one of his bandaged hands he tried his best at clasping hers. "I know the death of your brother was hard, but would it be alright if I told you about Elizzabeth? Maybe it will help you understand...or cope."

She nodded and gently held onto his hand. More tears were still falling from her chocolate brown eyes. "I would like to know."

Kari sighed. He squeezed her hand slightly even though it caused him pain. "She hadn't always been like that. When I was with her she was a very giving and Caring person. Kala looked up to her so much. She thought she was going to have a new mom. She always helped her friends, even though I never knew any of them personally." He sighed even bigger. "After a while she started to change. She developed split personalities."

His eyes had started to tear up. Even after all this time it was still hard for him. He felt his voice catch in his throat. "Thats when our relationship started to deteriorate."

Sarah rubbed Kari arm in a comforting way. She knew how hard it was to talk about someone dearly departed from your heart. whether they be dead, or a long way away. She frowned. She wondered if he knew why Elizzabeth had killed Angelo. She didn't know if it would be a touchy subject; so she didn't ask. "If you can't talk about this, it's okay." She said, trying to help him cope.

Kari swallowed. "No I can go on." He closed his eyes and breathed in deep, catching the scent of her hair. "She had started to do weird, hurtful things. She would openly, very openly, flirt with other men in front of me. She started to constantly pick on Kala. She became violent when I tried to talk to her. Sometimes though, she would be just the opposite, kinder than she had ever been. Then came the names."

He gulped. "She would often refer to herself as Kathrine or Susan. Mostly she would act badly when she was Kathrine, and good when she was Susan. I remember one night her bawling all night on me, begging me to make her voices go away. When I suggested that she be institutionalized she left me."

'Katherine'. Had he said that name right? He had said Katherine. that was who Elizabeth referred to be when she had did the spell. She had seen it with her own eyes. It hurt her head to think about that, but she didn't let it show.

"Schizophrenia, a severe case at that." Sarah muttered. She knew that very well. Her ex-boyfriend had told her about it. She looked at him and tried a weak smile. Maybe she could brighten his day. though she assumed it wouldn't work, since tears were still in her own eyes. "I'm sorry, i mean it's hard." she couldn't say she knew about it. But she knew what it felt like to loose at least.

Kari nodded. "The hardest thing is knowing she wanted some one else, and I still can't stop loving her. I was going to ask her to marry me." He began sobbing. "But she wanted Angelo..He must have denied her, Why else would she have killed him." His sobbing became uncontrollble and he couldn't speak any more."

She tried to hold her tongue, but couldn't. "Because he attacked Josh!" She blurted out. She knew it was the truth. It wasn't Elizzabeth's fault, and Sarah knew it. It was anger and grievances, and then her voices made it worse on her. She looked around and then back at him. Waiting for something that showed that she had said what she did.

Kari's head was spinning. 'So it wasn't my fault?' he kept asking himself. He shook his head. "I don't understand."

She looked away. She had never had to tell this story. The scars she had on her lower back were proof. But he had shared his pain, and now it was her turn. "Josh was Elizzabeth's best friend, and my boyfriend at the time..." She trailed off and thought. "He was nice for the first few months. Him and my brother, Angelo, got along really well. They were close friends, until half a year into it." She took a deep breath as the memories came back. The pain and bruises. She was shaking lightly, hoping Kari wouldn't notice.

Kari put his arm around her thinking that she was cold. Innocently he asked. "What happened?" He was compelled to ask. He needed to know so he could stop lying awake at night replaying every little detail."

It felt warm under his arm and she didn't want to pull away, ever. He was the best friend she had ever had. "We were at the studio, dance studio. Practicing for our competition. He wanted to kiss, but i don't know why. He knew i was very strict with a no kissing policy. And it sounds stupid i know but..." She took another painful breath and let it out in a sob. "I wouldn't let him even give me a peck on the lips. He got pretty angry at it. And said if i loved him i would. I told him that i did, but not that much. He s-snapped." She was now visibly shaking. Her body was forcing her teeth to chatter, and she stuttered. "H-he hit me, just t-then, multiple t-times." Her words came out quickly, without breaks. "A-and i c=couldn't st-stop him. He kept doing it until A-Angelo found out-t. He went after J-josh."

Kari felt anger wash over him. He couldn't help it but his hand had started to grip Sarah's arm. After he realized it he tried to relax. With A deep breath he said, "Then Kathrine went after Angelo, or maybe it was Susan. I think Elizzabeth thought she was doing the right thing." A tear rolled down his cheek. "I wish I could have stopped her. If only I had known. I could have saved you so much Pain."

"Well it doesn't matter now. What has happened happened." She said, trying to calm her shaking body. She could feel him grip her arm. She cringed, but could live through the pain. He released the grip. She gave a soft laugh. "We're a couple of misfits, we're a couple of misfits, what's the matter with misfits, that's where we fit in." She said quietly.

Kari chuckled softly. "Rudolf huh?" Leaned his head back on hers. He sighed. "I think I really need you now. As a friend. With out you these past few days has been torture. Since I saw your smile I've needed to see it again just to start my day." He smiled giving her a small squeeze. " Your amazing. You know that?"

She nodded before she felt his head on hers. Your amazing. You know that?. He said to her. She smiled to herself. Her smile made his day, and that was the best thing she had ever heard. No one had ever been like this with her. she was glad she finally had a friend, especially someone like Kari. "You are too, Kari. The way you are with Kala, no one else is as kind or caring as what you are." She said. She didn't know what else to do. But her eyelids were now very heavy. Seh could feel a world slipping out from under her.

With a weight finally off his chest Kari felt himself slipping into a peaceful darkness. He breathed deep her scent. He was so happy he had her back as a friend. Slowly he started to slip away.

She could feel him getting a bit heavier, though the air felt a lot lighter. She could hear the misfit song in her head and imagined herself dancing to it, as she began dreaming about the night that she had. It was peaceful for once. And she was happy, just being there, in the alley, asleep with Kari.

Kari finally drifted to sleep. Happy, he felt as if he was suppose to be with Sarah this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back