A Myth Explained- A Friendship Strengthened

Artemis winced throughout the entire story as the nurse began to dab at her hands without mercy. Yet her eyes only grew wider as it progressed, and her eyebrows rose like the sun, slowly and ever wider. It wasn't as though she disbelieved Shalamar at all, partly because she had seen the effects of what was was being told herself and especially because Shalamar admitted to being unsure of the matter, too. Things would sort themselves out as soon as her friend was able to get into contact with her grandmother, but in the meantime Art felt as though Shalamar was just as confused as she was.

Yet these circumstances were special, far more than even a girl like Artemis growing up within an all-magical family could even begin to comprehend. "I've never heard of anything like it," she said softly, her hazel eyes glittering with a strange light. "It is like a fairy tale, something right out of Beedle the Bard's. Shalamar, do 'ye ..." Artemis paused, and yanked her hands away from the nurse with a hiss before continuing. "Do 'ye think it's true? That ye're a ... dragon keeper?". For the first time in her entire life, Artemis felt a sliver of envy wind its way through her gut and burning her heart. She was envious, and she was sad. Shalamar did not deserve to be in pain, but she did deserve the great honor that was seemingly imposed upon her. Art could only bow to such a presence, for Shalamar's opportunity was bigger even than her greatest wish to become an animal Healer. Her dreams felt so small. "Ye're truly amazing," she said so quietly that Shalamar was obviously not meant to hear it. She shook her head to herself in wonder, but a small part of her was trying to shake away the guilt of feeling such selfish things.

"This is probably not the time to say this,"
Art began, and finally raised her eyes once more to Sparrow-chan's. "But I would like to..." she did not know how to say this. "Will 'ye permit me to be a companion to 'ye? Truly, some of it is wanting to share a part of your experiences, but more importantly I would like to be your friend. A true friend, to protect 'ye and..." Artemis swallowed, embarrassed by her sincerity but meaning every word. "...to help 'ye. And to share with 'ye." She was red with an embarrassment close to shame, for she did not feel as though she had the right to say these things now. "I - I just ... I'm sorry." Artemis didn't know how to finish. She never said anything of this magnitude.

Shalamar had heard many stories growing up but that was the problem, they had all been just stories now it would seem that myth and reality were merging and she was daunted. She turned to her best friend to tell her the part she had yet to mention.

"Well, my grandmother is one. My mother is not which is part of the story. A generation skipped, every second generation. My grandmother has a similar birthmark to mine, well more so now. Hers was always more pronounced but it is virtually the same as mine is now" she told her, Shalamar herself had never been anywhere near the fire dragon though she had heard much about it. Her grandmother kept it safe in a reserve in Mongolia, otherwise it would be hounded for half if not all its parts by poachers.

She looked at her friend shaking her head.
"I don't think I'm anything amazing at all" this was like a huge weight placed on her shoulder, something she had never figured into her life plans and dreams, "if it is all true Artemis, then what about the plans I had made for my future? I can't join the Ministry of Magic if I must train a dragon".

Biting her lip she took comfort in her friend, smiling when she offered to accompany her.
"Would you Artemis? I mean I would have to ask my grandmother first if it is alright but that would be wonderful" she slid off her own chair and hugged her friend for her considerate nature. As soon as she could she would write to her grandmother and sort all of this out once and for all.

This entire situation was very curious to Art. Of course, she had no experience with dragons (yet), and would love to see one if it were allowed. Yet still she felt like she was intruding upon something deep and sacred, something she would not be suffered to catch a glimpse of. Artemis hadn't meant that she wanted to help with Shalamar's dragon keeping, but then, what else could she have meant by 'a companion'? "Well, no matter what 'ye need, 'ye can be sure that I will do all that I am permitted to do as your friend to help 'ye along the way," Artemis told Shalamar, to clear things up. Now she went back to brooding on her Sparrow-chan's fate, and what being a dragon keeper would really mean.

"Did 'ye really want to be part of the Ministry?" Artemis asked, looking at her friend solemnly. If that was the case, then she felt terribly sympathetic towards her. She also felt callous at jumping to conclusions about how Shalamar felt. She doesn't have a choice, thought Art sorrowfully, her squirrel eyes widened into owl eyes with sadness. They seemed to suck all the shadows in the room into them until all the darkness was held there, burdened. "I never think of these things, love." said Art, her shoulders drooping like a cartoon character's. It was often strangely entertaining to watch every single emotion roll over Art's face as she went from gleeful to melancholy, to excited and then to horrified all in one passing shade.

Artemis got to her feet just as Shalamar did, and they met simultaneously across the few feet of distance to hug one another. A soft shimmer fell upon their heads that seemed to come from nowhere at all, and hugging a friend had never felt as special as it did then. Art's ears began to twitch like an aerial, a good omen by its frequency, and Artemis felt that for the first time , perhaps she would have someone to lean on after all.

END SCENE​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back