A Different Kind of Conversation

Carmen Peregrin

OOC First Name
Lin
Wand
Coconut Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Star Dust
Carmen walked quietly out of the dungeons with Kaleb smiling as she saw all the couples meeting up in the entrance hall, some obviously very eager and meeting early. As the made their way out of the school she wondered where he was taking her. She looked at the carriages as they passed by the sickly black creatures pulling them gave her shivers. She didn't know what they were but seriously thought they looked evil and in need of a decent meal. Not knowing if she should say anything, Carmen decided it was probably best to stay quiet for now. Until he said what he needed to. She hoped fervently that everything was all right with him. She worried about him, couldn't help it really.

Finally they seemed to stop at the lake, she looked out across it as the light from the moon seemed to dance across the light ripples. It was lovely here and with no other students about it was so peaceful. She had never thought to come here at this time before and promised herself she would in future for sure. Her blonde hair blew gently in the light breeze, she turned to look up at Kaleb.
"What is it Kaleb? Are you alright?" she had forgotten that in her hand she still held the crumbled letter from her grandfather.

Kaleb walked with Carmen but ignored all the couples and stuff. He did not care about the Yule Ball, and doubted that he ever would. Kaleb was taking Carmen to the lakefront, where his heart was leading. Kaleb's eyes caught the black things pulling the carriages. He raised an eyebrow, and shuddered. So creepy, those things were. Almost as creepy as his grandfather. Both shared characteristics. Associated with death. Kaleb shrugged to himself and continued on. Kaleb stopped walking and faced the Slytherin girl with a Gryffindor heart. Kaleb stared at her, noting every feature. Kaleb couldn't answer at first, and was just amazed at the scenery.

Kaleb sighed, "Carmen... I kind of overheard you and Charlie. And... I don't know. I don't want you to leave." Kaleb reached to take Carmen's hands into his own. This year had turned out to be a horrid year for him. So much loss. And now, all he wanted was to help out Carmen. Kaleb did not understand this silver thread that seemed to connect him to Carmen. The currents, nothing. But because of all this loss and such, he was forced to grieve and avoid people. And she had to turn to Charlie to be comforted. That hit him hard, and caused that little jealousy to arise in him.

He told her what was bothering him as he reached for her hands and Carmen could only stare at him in wonder. He had taken her out of the common room to tell her he didn't want her to go. Her hazel eyes melted as they looked up at him, she never questioned the bond they had. Why she always felt he was necessary in her life. She would walk to hades and back for him without hesitation. Her hands gently squeezed his as if to reassure him.
"I don't plan on going anywhere Kaleb" she told him, her voice so soft on the breeze, "How could I leave you?"

It was awful but in the moment that he held her hands and told her he didn't want her to leave, all thoughts of her other friend banished from her mind.
"I just have to stand up for myself, tell my grandfather once and for all that I'm where I belong".

Kaleb felt her squeeze his hands and he could not help but smile. He stared into her hazel eyes, the color of eyes he preferred on a female. Though he did not really notice that he wanted his females to look like Carmen. He was very unaware of this fact. Kaleb was stuck hardcore in denial. Never once asking himself if he indeed did have any feelings for Carmen other than the best friend thing. Of course, it barely crossed his mind. If it did, it was only a flicker before leaving again.

Kaleb stared at her, and then went to the ground. He murmured, “Well, if he doesn’t change his mind, I could always request my grandfather speak to him. That in itself is a long shot.” Kaleb grinned slightly, and added, “Just the thought of you leaving… I don’t like it. I just…won’t have that.” Kaleb then embraced Carmen, as if life depended on it. But it wasn’t tight either. Kaleb didn’t want to lose her, and couldn’t understand why that was. But then again, who would want to lose a best friend? No one, Kaleb thought.

Carmen almost felt as if she could lose herself in his eyes, as he stared into hers she was riveted. Could not move or look away from him. He would actually ask his grandfather to speak with her own? She knew what type of man his grandfather was, hard and cruel and his grandson feared him and yet, he was willing to speak to him for her sake. As he continued to speak, his words made her heart race and she could not understand why he had this effect on her now.

And then he was pulling her into his arms, Carmen could only close her eyes. Her grandfather would surely listen to Kaleb himself considering he had saved his grand-daughters life and that's when it hit her. The perfect idea, nobody but Kaleb was needed. Her own arms circled about him and she rested her head on his chest. She was once again comforted and save here and knew she always would be. She had found more than just a bestfriend that fortuitous day on the park bench.
She tilted her head up to look at him.
"Kaleb I don't think we need your grandfather. I think as soon as my grandfather hears what you did, how you saved my life. He won't want me anywhere else where harm can befall me. At least with you here he knows someone is always looking out for me".

Kaleb's heart was pounding, and felt as though she could hear it. Of course she could, her head was against his chest. This was the way it was suppose to be. Her in his arms. Her being comforted by none other than him. Kaleb would not mind other girls comforting her, but boys? No, that was him and only him. Kaleb was far too protective for his own good. Protective with a hint of jealousy also. And right now, that jealousy was taking over, which compelled him to do the followed actions.

"And I will always live up to that role." Kaleb smiled, and stared at her adoringly, ignorant of the fact that he was. They were incredibly close, and the temptations were there. The act of impulse, Kaleb's mind went blank as he gently placed his lips upon hers. Under the moonlight and by the lake, was where Kaleb shared his very first kiss, probably one to remember even if he did not wish to. Not like he would not wish to remember this...

Carmen believed him completely when he said he would always live up to that role. She didn't know if the scene had been set for them by a greater power or if it was her imagination, but somehow everything over the past few months seemed to have led up to this moment. The two bestfriends standing so close as to be inseperable. She could not take her eyes from him, she could almost hear his heart beat. Could feel it pulsing against her and she wondered if he too could feel her own, hear it. They sounded so alike as if their hearts and souls were as bonded as they were. He was so unbelievably close and yet she still was unprepared for when his mouth touched hers.

Carmen felt her legs become like jelly, her heart sped up racing not against but with the emotions that were assailing her. This felt so unbelievably perfect. Her first kiss and it was with the only boy she could have imagined sharing it with. Her eyelids closed as a feeling of euphoria so strong overwhelmed her and for the first time in her life, Carmen fainted.

Kaleb had no idea what this emotion was. It was perfect. It felt like his heart and soul was bonded with her. He thought that he could hear her heartbeat, but it could have been his as well. The emotions were overwhelming for him, and he pulled away, just in time to see Carmen faint. Kaleb's smile was gone, and he managed to hold her up, but he knelt to the ground, and cradled Carmen in his arms. Kaleb thought, Perhaps I shouldn't try that again... I felt like I was going to faint.

Kaleb gently pushed the hair out of her face, and smiled down at her. People who fainted would come around, right? Kaleb wished it would hurry soon. It would be just embarrassing to explain to one of the teachers that his - she still was his best friend, right? - fainted by the means of a kiss. How often does that come about? Kaleb murmured, "Come on, Carmen, snap out of it."

Carmen didn't know if she was merely floating or if the hazy scape she had drifted to was where all girls went to on their first kiss. She felt the tingle still on her lips which made her moan ever so gently, her eyelids fluttered open and he was there. Cradling her on the ground. So she had fainted, she didn't know if she should be more embarrassed by the fact that she had fainted after he had kissed her or for waking up in his arms. She could only look into his handsome face, her hand of its own accord reached up and very gently touched first his chin and then his mouth. The feather lightest of touches before she moved her hand away again.

She didn't know what to say all she knew was she felt like she belonged exactly where she was now. Yet bestfriends didn't behave like this did they? She had no comparison to offset this with, she was utterly confused and yet at the same time felt utterly calm.
"Hi" she smiled then, her dazzling smile almost shy now in it's application.

Kaleb smiled in relief when her eyes opened. Kaleb was very glad that she was all right. Well, why wouldn't she have been? She was only kissed. Kaleb sighed, felt that this was right. She belonged here with him. Best friends had a special bond, but surely it didn't mean like this. This was a whole new level, and it rather scared Kaleb. Kaleb didn't know what this bond was, and though it comforted him at heart, but it also scared him because he did not know what it was. It couldn't be what he just thought it was. No, that was out of the question, but it did not erase the smile off his face. No matter how much time will pass, he knew one thing was for certain.

He was hers.
Kaleb laughed lightly when she touched him on his face and said hi. Kaleb shook his head, and said, "Maybe I shouldn't try that again. You fainting scares me enough." Kaleb did not want to add the Unless you want to risk it in his words. She might not even like it, for one. And the other, well, he didn't know why, but it was conflicting with the side of him that wanted to say those six words.

Carmen blushed and even by moonlight it seemed to make her glow a little. She didn't want to leave this spot, she didn't want to sit up or stand up or move anywhere but knew she would have to. He had kissed her and she had ... fainted.

"Maybe I shouldn't try that again. You fainting scares me enough."

She tried to move herself so that she could get up but instead only succeeded in squirming her body around to face him more. She gasped at this, her face mere inches from his again. But he didn't want to kiss her again, at least she didn't think he did. She had scared him though she hadn't meant to. Only weak silly girls fainted and she knew she wasn't either of those, she was strong and healthy and though she hadn't been ready to be kissed a few moments ago, she felt like she was now. She wanted to show him that she didn't just faint at the drop of a hat, that his kiss had quite simply taken her breath away.
"I promise I won't again" this time she brokered the mere few inches from her lips to his.

He was too irresistible, too much of a potion she could not get enough of now. She was all his and she wanted him to know it. She didn't know if her kiss was any good or if he had even liked it but she knew deep down she wanted to repeat it again and again. She didn't know how their friendship would hold up after this and this one sobering thought made her pull back so very gently to look up at him.

It was a war inside his heart. One was fear of losing her after this, and the other, wanted her to be with him, always. Could people his age feel like this? Kaleb didn't know, but when she was mere inches from him, he could have easily shortened the distance. It was way too tempting. But her words only made him smile, and there he was, on cloud nine once more when she kissed him. Kaleb could not resist kissing her back. How could he resist? If he did, he would be rather stupid, and inconsiderate.

Was she saying that she was his? It was rather obvious that Carmen practically owned Kaleb, and would do anything she wanted him to do. Kaleb's hand gently cradled Carmen's cheek, hoping that she wouldn't run from him. When she pulled back, he opened his eyes, unknown to when he had closed them in the first place. Kaleb cooed, "This has been an interesting night." He smirked a bit, and did not lose any sort of physical contact with Carmen. But where did they stand now?

This left confusion in his mind.

His hand on her cheek was almost like a brand, him making his mark on her and though no one would be able to see it she would feel it everyday, forever. At least as long a forever that any eleven year old had passed through. He had kissed her back and as she looked at him with his eyelids closed, she wanted nothing more than to hide him away from the rest of the world. Keep all those other girls far from him, was this why she had always felt so rotten when he had spent so much time with them and not her. Had she been jealous for other reasons less befitting a bestfriend? He opened his eyes and at first she thought he would move away from her but he didn't.
She felt as if she were sinking deeper into his arms, into him and thought she would drown from the emotions that engulfed her. Carmen was so confused, she was only eleven surely at such a young age she should not feel as if she had found the person she wanted to spend the rest of her life with? This was crazy and made no sense and yet, it also made perfect sense to her.

"I know" her voice was gentle, so utterly tender, "I never imagined..."
How could she have? But she needed to ask the question that was taunting her now, had to.
She gazed into his eyes trying to find the answers there before asking the burning question.

"What do... what do we do now? pretend like this doesn't mean anything or allow it to mean everything?" had she stated it too bluntly, her heart felt as if it's entire existence rested with him.

Kaleb wouldn't mind dumping all the girls he had trailing him for her, this girl in his arms. This felt right, while the others were merely play toys that he soon got bored with. There was no way he would ever get bored of Carmen. He knew that as well as anyone. The magazine and Aleyha was right, he did like her, more than a best friend. Kaleb was stuck in denial, but would he ever emerge from it? And does she feel the same? Kaleb needed to know about himself, wanted to know where they stood. As long as he was with her, it didn't matter. She didn't move from him, and this alone comforted him. She was there for him, like he was for her.

The attraction he had, it wasn't normal. This put all the little "crushes" aside. The war inside him continued, and it was tearing him in half. One wanting to be with Carmen forever, a childish dream but made perfect sense, the other wanting her as a friend to go off playing the field and possibly losing her forever. However, Kaleb had to admit, the one wanting Carmen was stronger. The actor was fighting against the true him, but in emotion wise. This was highly uncommon for him, to be at battle with himself. Kaleb grinned, "I kind of did, actually." Kaleb blushed a bit.

Kaleb bit his lip. The dreaded question. How could this just be ignored and just pretend that it doesn't mean anything? Kaleb murmured, "To be honest, I don't think I could ever ignore it. What I feel, I can't explain it. I don't want to lose you, ever. But, I think I will allow the choice to be in your hands..." Kaleb wondered what she had to say to this... Her thoughts on it.

Carmen felt sincerely as if she had the biggest choice of all her eleven years. Lying in his arms was not going to help her reach any decision objectively though. Her heart and head should have been in unison but they were battling, she knew that eventually they would be in harmony but at eleven they weren't quite there yet. She wanted them to be together but they were young and they had so much else to do and accomplish. Now that they knew how they felt about one another, they didn't have to hide it so much but could perhaps bottle it and wait until they were more mature to face those kind of feelings.

Carmen carefully sat up and turning herself around, she knelt infront of him. The lakefront and the moon, Kaleb looking at her the way he was. She nearly faltered in her decision but took strength from somewhere deep inside her. He had imagined them kissing, perhaps that could help them through times when they would crave for each other, she didn't know and it was this not knowing that pushed her forward.

"You'll never lose me Kaleb and I don't ever want to lose you. You're friendship means everything to me but... but I think because we're so young, maybe... maybe we should hold tight to our friendship for now. When the time is right like it was tonight, then we'll know and we'll be together. I have no doubts on that someday we will be together, for now I think we need to experience more out of life before committing ourselves so very young to one another and maybe someday regretting that. I don't ever want to regret you or us" she wondered if he would hate her now, her hand reached out to smooth some hair back from his face.

Kaleb was thinking that maybe they were just too young. However, could he wait? Surely he could, he was Kaleb Styx! He could do anything he wanted, if he put his heart into it. But these feelings were too overwhelming for him, and he knew that he couldn’t handle it right now. But at least he knew that they were bonded tighter than anyone else could even remotely imagine. He did not stop Carmen from moving and stared at her with his blue-gray eyes that were slowly starting to lose their blue hue as he got older. He awaited for her decision, knowing that he would go along with it, no matter what.

The Slytherin lad listened to Carmen, and thought that she was a genius. He allowed her to touch him, finding it reassuring and that he knew that Carmen was a touchy person. Kaleb smiled, “That sounds good to me. We still remain best friends, and put this aside, but we cannot ignore it. Merlin knows that I can’t do that. I won’t ever regret you, or us. But someday… I look forward to that someday.” Kaleb chuckled and glanced up at the stars. He wondered what his big brother was up to. Probably with that one date of his.

She smiled at him delighted that he was of the same mind as her but knew she hadn't really doubted that fact either. Her heart felt light as she knew now her argument to give to her grandfather. There was no way she was not coming back here to Kaleb, she would put up the best fight of her life just to remain with him. As she looked at him gazing now up at the stars she thought he was probably the most handsome boy she had ever seen. A tender smile played across her features.

"I guess I better head back to the common room then, unless you had something else you wanted to share with me?" she grinned as she began to stand up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back