A dark night in the dungeons

Leah Winters

OOC First Name
Malynne
Wand
13" Sequoia Dragon heartstring
The dungeons were dark, so dark the young Slytherin girl walking into their depths could barely see her hand in front of her face. Leah Winters had just walked down, away from the brightly lit candles, and to her surprise had stumbled into complete darkness. "Damn." She muttered aloud, fumbling for her wand. Finding it, she whipped it out in front of her and said, "Lumos" In a crystal clear voice. The light hurt her eyes, but only briefly.

Now that she could see, he looked around, noticing nothing out of the ordinary. It looked like a normal dungeon, stone walls and floors, and a permanent ghostly chill everywhere in the room. Luckily no teachers were around to catch her. It had been a most unpleasant night so far, she had tossed and tumbled in the bed trying to sleep but unable too. Fed up, she decided to continue exploring this vast castle.

Zoe couldn't get to sleep, so she decided she would go for a stroll. Being a prefect, she was sure she could come up with some excuse for being out late at night without getting into trouble. She rolled out of bed, tied her long, red hair up, and put on some soled slippers. She quietly exited her dorm, and tip-toed down the creaky stairs. As she entered the cool, moist dungeon air, she heard a slight echo of someone talking.

She walked down the corridor, following where she heard the voice come from, and she could see, beyond the lit candles, there was another light there, most likely coming from a wand. Zoe pressed her back against the wall, and slid across the wall, towards the light, wanting to catch the person by surprise. She was quite the prankster, and took every opportunity to creep up on someone that she could.

As she approached the light, she noticed the person was a slytherin girl the same age as her. Still against the wall, Zoe called out, "Why are you here past curfew?", and a great smirk appeared on her face.

Not being able to scare as easily than most, Leah turned towards the voice, a smile playing at her lips. The darkness around Leah had apparently hidden the person away from her view. Sure she had expected some sort of disturbance, probably from a teacher, but the girl looked more like a student than anything. "What are you doing here past curfew?" She challenged, knowing that the rules applied to everyone not just her.

Keeping the smile on her face, Zoe stepped off of the wall, allowing more light shine onto her. "As a prefect, I have authority over you. I repeat, why are you down here?" Zoe asked, keeping firm. She took her prefect job seriously, but realized that she was also breaking the rules by being down there. She realized that sometimes she got a bit bossy, and sometimes got too controlling, even beyond her power, whenever she was talking to other students.

The girls statement of being a prefect barely fazed Leah. She raised an eyebrow and shook her head slowly. "Even though I really don't owe an explanation, if you must know, I couldn't sleep." There, happy? The nighttime walk was beginning to become a hassle. "Now, since I shared a piece of personal information, why are you here past curfew?"

Good. Zoe thought to herself, glad that someone finally listened to her. Being an honest person, she couldn't help but answer the question un-sarcastically. "I couldn't sleep either, then I heard you down here, and followed the sound." She was a little bad at being rude and sarcastic, like most slytherins were, it was weird that she had been sorted into this house, and for the first few years, she questioned it. Zoe brushed her hair behind her ear and cast lumos. She bravely carried on into the dungeon.

"How coincidental." Leah remarked. "Have you been here long, or is it, you can't sleep because of a new enviroment?" She was curious on finding out who the new transfers were. Some Hufflepuff girl who she had talked to earlier this day had mentioned there being alot of new transfers, which had perked her curiosity. She watched the prefect cast the standard lighting spell, and folded her arms, her wand rested on her left shoulder. "So, what?" She wondered aloud. "Do I get detention, reported to a teacher? Or lines?" She didn't seriously think she would be punished for something the prefect was doing as well, but she pondered how seriously this girl took her job.

"I've been here since day one, and, as far as what will happen to you, that's for me to know and you to find out." Zoe said, fighting the smirk, as she turned around to face the girl again. "Since I know, if not by name, then at least by face, every Slytherin student that are in years 5, 6 and 7 that have attended Hogwarts since their first year, I know you're a transfer. So what's your story?" She asked, then turned around and slowly paced her way into the darkness, allowing it to devour her.

"Bring it." Leah muttered loud enough where the girl could here. She smirked and stayed where she was. She hated following people to keep up a conversation, she was the type where someone had to follow her. "Anyway. Yes, I'm a transfer. Obviously you've been here since you were what? Eleven?" That was the standard age at Hogwarts, she believed. Not able to see the girl, Leah unfolded her arms and stuck out her wand to where she could see her again.

Zoe turned around, once again, ignoring the Slytherin's comment, and responded, "Yeah, been here all seven years." Which was a lie. She left summer break of her second year, and came back summer break of her third year, though that was something she wasn't ready to tell everyone she met, when she met them. She then nodded her head, towards the darkness of the dungeon, "Are you coming?" She said with a smirk, tapping her foot gently on the grey stone floor.

Annoyance pricked Leah's brain. "Yes, I suppose I shall." She walked slowly to her, wand sticking out in front of her, but away from the Slytherin prefect. "A walk doesn't sound to bad right now." She said aloud, walking ahead, and looking around. She didn't mind the prefect so much, but the fact that she had attempted to use her power over Leah annoyed her greatly. She didn't let it show however.

Zoe walked on with her housemate, and realized she didn't even know who she was. "I don't think I caught your name before, nor you with mine." She began to say, in her slightly gruff voice. "I'm Zoe-Hope Weasley, 7th Year Slytherin and Prefect, if that wasn't obvious enough." She added in a hint of sarcasm at the end. That was the one thing that had grown on her while she was in the Slytherin house. Sarcasm. It was cliché for Slytherins' to be sarcastic, but it was somewhat true with most of them. Their house meetings were almost always chaotic, depending on the mood of the students.

Leah listened to her and smirked at the last part. "Pleasure to meet you, Zoe-Hope. I am Leah Winters, sixth year Slytherin. I am seventeen however." She added as an afterthought. "So, as a prefect do you get certain immunities from things?" Leah wasn't interested in being a prefect, but it would be good to get a good feel on the general idea of being a prefect.

In all honesty, Zoe wasn't sure what her limits were. "Nice to meet you Leah, and yes, I do." Zoe lied. Well, half-lied. "So you say you're a transfer? Where did you transfer from?" She asked as she dragged the tip of her wand across the stone wall, tapping from brick to brick, it was like the beat to a song.

The sound from the wand being dragged on the brick made Leah smirk for some reason. "Well, isn't that nice." She nodded. "I come from Beauxabatons."

"Beauxbatons, huh? Why'd you come here then?" Zoe asked, curiously. If she had the option to go to France for schooling, she'd probably take it and not go anywhere else. France was an awesome country, and the culture was very rich, in her opinion. She removed her wand from the wall, realizing it might just scratch right off. "If I went to school in France, I don't think I'd switch. Ever." She thought aloud.

Leah frowned. "Hmph." She hadn't wanted to go to this school. Not at all. But unfortunately, her mother had wanted to move to New Zealand and make a new life for her and her family. "I didn't want to be here." Leah replied. "I don't blame you. I'd rather be there with people I know, than here in my sixth year, with people I don't know."

"Well, it doesn't have to be that you don't have any friends here." Zoe said, as they approached a very narrow hallway, enough for only one person at a time. She looked down the hall, then looked over at Leah. "Should we continue on, or are you feeling sleepy now?" She asked, with a smirk on her slightly freckled face.

"I suppose. But being alone has it's benefits." Leah replied, following Zoe. She narrowed her eyes at Zoe's remark, and swept past her, entering the hallway alone. "Are you coming?" She asked, turning her head towards Zoe slightly. 'Or should I continue on without you?"

Zoe was taken aback a little, by how rudely Leah brushed right past her. "Maybe if you were a little less rude to people who were trying to be nice, then you would make friends faster." She bluntly remarked. Yawning, she walked behind Leah, only vaguely seeing a dim light ahead.

She felt something crawling in her hair, so she picked it out. Holding it in one hand, she raised her lit wand up to it, and noticed it was a dark brown spider. With a malicious grin on her face, she put her hand up to Leah's shoulder, and allowed the spider to crawl onto it, then quickly tapped her shoulder at the same time, wanting Leah's attention.

Leah rolled her eyes, and continued on. "Whatever." She finally said as a rebuttle. She didn't even care that Zoe was right. There was a light ahead, and she sped up a little to reach it. Suddenly she felt a hand tap her shoulder. Feeling a little annoyed about what happened previously, she snapped "What!?" And turned her head.
She felt something crawling on her neck, and gasped. "What the-" Lifting up her hand she felt around her neck and picked off a spider. "A spider!?" She glared at Zoe. "Oh very funny! What if it bit me an I died?" In reality she wasn't very angry, she set the spider down on the nearest wall, and continued on.

Zoe grinned, but a little dissapointed she didn't get the response she wanted. She expected Leah to be a bit over dramatic and freak out, screaming and run around. Though, it's good that she didn't. "If it bit you and you died? It would be some very powerful venom." She remarked, as the light at the end of the narrow hallway got bigger and bigger. "So do you have any siblings?" She asked after a minute, as the effects of the mini-prank she pulled wore off.

They finally reached the end of the tunnel and came out in a sort of circular room with other tunnels leading in almost every direction. "Well, some of the smallest spiders are the most poisonenes." She folded her arms and faced Zoe. She gave her a small smile for being so daring as to play a prank on her. "I have one sister." Leah answered. "And you?"

Never knew that. Zoe thought to herself as she replayed in her head about what Leah said about spiders. She looked around at the room they entered, curious as to which one they should go into next. "One sister, huh? I'm a lonely child myself." Zoe responded with a small grin. She had been lonely as a younger kid, but she embraced not having an annoying little brother or sister borrowing stuff from her room, breaking her things, and other things like that. "Which one should we go into?" She asked, pointing her head to the other hallways, and yet another yawn escaped her.

Zoe's yawn prompted Leah to yawn as well. She covered her mouth with her hand, and removed it once the yawn was finished. "That sucks. My sister is really the only one I can fully trust...and I don't even trust her completely." Leah's eyes went downcast briefly, before she brought them up to meet Zoe's. "I don't mean to be pathetic, but I'm getting sleepy, we should probably get back to our dorms." She didn't want to go back, because the morrow would arrive soon enough, and she would be forced to make her way through the throngs of chattery students. But she was also tired, and her eyes grew heavy with every second passing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back