6) Roleplay Lessons - Advanced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athene Perthro

Advancing your roleplay skills

Now that you know how to roleplay, lets look at making your roleplaying a little more interesting for both you the typist, other roleplayers, and any readers who may be lurking in your RP, to read over.

A few tips

+ Start with an interesting character. Interesting characters make for interesting roleplays. Cliche characters, or 'Mary-Sues' are not very fun to read about. See the character development sub-forum for ways to make your character more appealing to read about.

+ Use correct spelling. The better your spelling and grammar is, the better roleplayer you will be considered as. Poor spelling and chat speak may lead to other roleplayers considering you immature, and may not wish to roleplay with you. This does not mean your spelling has to be perfect, but so long as you do you do your best.

+ Leave the roleplay open for other roleplayers and give them space to breath. Don't give your character all the interesting things to do, and leave the others with your leftovers. For example, if you are roleplaying quidditch, make sure you let the other team catch the quaffle as well.

+ Read other peoples posts, keep them in mind and use details to your advantage in future RPs. Did your character see Amy pick a bunch of forget-me-nots before heading back to the Castle? This could mean that Amy likes those particular flowers. Perhaps your character will present some too her in the future?
However, if your character wasn't present when she picked them, he/she wouldn't know about Amy's flower preference, regardless if you read it or not.

+ Never introduce a character as 'She' or 'He'. Make sure that the first time you mention a character in any and every post, you use his or her name.

Wrong:
"I really like you," he said, blushing slightly. He handed her the little blue flowers with shaking fingers.

Right:
"I really like you," said Tim, blushing slightly. He handed Amy the little blue flowers with shaking fingers.

+ Don't use words you don't understand, and don't be afraid to use the word 'said'. However, you should also avoid over-using it.

+ Let your character fail sometimes. It's more fun to read about a character that doesn't do something perfectly, than one who does. My character has been in lots of duels, and I've allowed her to be beaten up a fair few times. It's just as fun to roleplay loosing as it is to roleplay winning.

+ Stay in character. This is very important. If your character is a good student, with good grades and lots of friends, she or he isn't going to pick a fight on the new kid unless you have other thoughts? just because he's short.

+ Remember who your character has met, and what your character has done in the past. Or make sure you know where your threads are in case you need to refer back to any of them.

+ Don't make major, roleplay-changing edits to your posts once posted unless you have asked the other roleplayers. It's only polite. (And editing them can make for lots of confusion)

+ Plan some roleplays out with other roleplayers. If you want to play a huge prank on another student, and you want it to be successful, PM them and explain what you want to do. If they accept, the two of you can plan how to make the roleplay the most interesting before roleplaying it. That way you don't have to worry about anyone else messing up your plans.

+ Let your character evolve, but don't change them without reason. If your character suddenly becomes secluded, emotional, or rude, make sure you have a very good reason for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back