Breakfast at the Staff Table

Rosalie was happier than she had been in the past five years. She had reunited with Augustus and had a secure job here at the school working with him. She woke early and decided to let Augustus sleep in, heading down to the Great Hall alone. A bit unsure of herself she tenatively took a seat at the end of the Staff Table, silently beginning to nibble on a piece of toast. Rosalie didn't know who else was on the staff aside from the Headmistress and thought it a bit early in the morning to go about introducing herself to people. Besides, there weren't that many people in the Hall just yet.

Nicolas entered the Great Hall in a better set of robes than he normally wore, deciding that he was bored of his usual work robe, and glanced around the room. A few students whom seemed to always wake earlier were already present eating breakfast and a few of his colleagues were already seated at the head table, though there was one person there who seemed somewhat familiar, but he couldn't recall who they were nor what they did at the school.

He approached where she sat and waited a few moments for her to finish the bite of toast before speaking. "I don't think we've had the pleasure of an introduction, I'm Nicolas King." He said with a warm smile, extending his hand to the all too familiar looking woman.

Rosalie looked up from her toast at the sound of a voice, her green eyes moving over the man standing beside her. She smiled at the man who addressed her, recognizing him as a boy she played Quidditch with in school. She was glad he spoke his name, otherwise she wouldn't have remembered it, "Nick King? Well well well. You look to have done well for yourself." She smiled playfully and rested her chin on her hand, her elbow on the table. Rosalie wondered if he would remember her, waiting to see before she told him her name.

Nicolas stopped, this woman seemed to know him too, though she clearly remembered more than he did at the moment. She called him Nick, that significantly lowered the set of people she could be among. She had to be from England, and based on how long he had been in England she would've gone to Hogwarts with him. After a few more moments of recollection he finally recalled who she was. Rose Page, who had been a chaser with him on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. "Rose? Rose Page?" He began, at first unsure of it, "What are you doing here?" He inquired. His past certainly seemed to be turning up everywhere everytime he turned around.

Rosalie winked at Nick. "Oh you know, I was in town and thought I'd drop in," she said with a giggle. "You know I'm married to Augustus, right?" Rosalie though he would know this, as it wasn't exactly a secret. She had no idea however of what happened to him after he graduated. All she knew was that she didn't hear from him after she left school, not that they'd been close in the first place. She was two years older than him and had her own set of friends. They were teammates, and that was always about the extent of their relationship.

"No, I didn't know." Nicolas replied, not really having spoken to Augustus outside of staff meetings and the like. "So are you here visiting, then?" Nicolas inquired, still standing on the opposite side of the table from rose but figuring he should seat himself and start eating soon.

Rosalie laughed at Nick and sighed. "Well, it started out that way, but it looks as if I'm here to say. Ms. Barker has agreed to ley me stay as Augustus's assistant, so you'll have to be putting up with me for a while yet." Rosalie winked at Nick again and took a hearty bite of her toast. She felt much better knowing that there was at least one other person she knew around here.

"Oh, that should be fun." Nicolas responded to both statements at once, moving from where he stood to the other side of the table and taking a seat near Rose so they could continue their conversation. He poured himself a glass of pumpkin juice to start then took a sip, "So how long have you been married?" Nicolas inquired, her answer to this would tell him how long he had been oblivious to his colleagues.

Rosalie's green eyes widened at this question and she let out a sigh. "Where to start...well we married in February 2009, but we split in 2016 when he came here. We only just got back together last night, so I don't know if we're starting over or if we'll say we've been married for eleven years." This all seemed a bit confusing, even to Rosalie, and she put the last bit of her toast in her mouth, mulling over her own words. I need to talk to Augustus about that...

Professor King was slightly relieved with Rose's story, this would at least explain why he hadn't heard about her, or why Augustus didn't mention her. "I see" Nicolas began, "Well, I'm glad that you've reunited." He said, offering rose a small smile. "So what did you do whilst you were in England after graduation?"

Rosalie smiled and gave a nod and a soft "thank you" to Nick. When he asked what she did after graduating she smiled brightly. "I played Chaser for the Holyhead Harpies. I'd still be playing for them if I hadn't goten hurt and realized how much I missed Augustus." She let out a happy sigh and took a chug of some orange juice, wondering just how late Augustus was going to sleep in. "And what about you Nick? How did you end up here in New Zealand?"

"Oh, that seems like fun -- less the getting hurt bit." Nicolas responded as Rose mentioned her professional Quidditch career. He has always suspected her as being that good, whereas he was only Hogwarts team quality -- even to this day. When she asked about how he came to New Zealand he stopped and took another sip of pumpkin juice, buying him a few more seconds to mull over what he had to say. "Well, right after I graduated my parents died." he began slowly, a weak smile on his face. "My father was killed and my mother just died shortly thereafter. So I left England for here, trying to hide from the memories I suppose."

Rosalie's smile faded and was replaced with a look of symphathy. She had lost her mother when she was only six, but she could not imagine losing her father as well. "Nick, I had no idea, I'm so sorry." Rosalie frowned, not knowing what else to say from there. I wish I had known, so he didn't have to tell me at breakfast like this.

"It's long ago now." Nicolas replied with a slight smile, "So, what all does being Augustus' assistant entail?" He inquired, hoping to change the subject from the prior one for the simple facts that he didn't have much to say on the subject anymore, and it wasn't exactly breakfast conversation.

Rosalie smiled, glad for the change of subject. "Well, I assist him with preparing lessons and grading and such. Not the biggest job, but it's something. What do you do here anyway?" Rosalie had never envisioned Nick King as a professor. In fact, she could not remember much about him in school aside from the fact that he played Chaser for Gryffindor. She did not keep up with the news, so she had not gotten wind of his most recent scandal that was outlined in the Daily Prophet.

"I teach Defense Against the Dark Arts, and I'm Gryffindor Head of House and Deputy Head Master." Nicolas said, wondering if he should have just left it at teaching. "Of course, I was placed here by the ministry." Nicolas concluded, figuring Rose would be familiar with the article. If Sarah had managed to read it in the United Kingdom's Daily Prophet surely Rose could have as well.

Rosalie had taken a bit of an apple and she considered what Nick had said as she chewed. "The Ministry? Do you work for the Ministry?" She didn't understand why he would be placed in a school by the Ministry, not knowing that he was anything other than what he had just told her.

"Yes, I'm an Auror for the New Zealand Ministry." Nicolas stated, "It had its own article in the Daily Prophet when somebody exposed me." he added with a slight chuckle, though he was glad he was no longer in the position he once had been in.

After finishing his breakfast Nicolas smiled once again, "Well, it was great to see you again, Rose." He began as he stood up, "I guess I'll see you around the castle again sometime." he concluded with another small smile as he left the hall to grade some papers before his first lesson of the day.

(((If this conclusion isn't alright tell me and I will delete it. You had said you wanted more staff to join before you replied, this being ten days later I felt it prudent to wrap it up if it was to conclude.)))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back