Writing home

Steel Johnson

Steel opened the door, completely exhausted from the long climb up. Surely this tower was at least twice as tall as Ravenclaw Tower. He wasn't excited to start Astronomy. He knew that was the tallest tower at the school.
The Owlery was a small room packed with about a hundred birds. On the far left side, there was a section marked "School Owls - For the Use of All Students and Staff." Steel walked over to make his choice. It needed to be a strong owl. The trip to Ohio from New Zealand was certainly not a small one. After a few moments consideration, he decided on a large barn owl named Terry.
Before attatching the two letters he held to the owl's feet, Steel decided it might be wise to read them over again. The first looked like this:

"Dear Mom and Dad,
I love it here! New Zealand is so beautiful! Classes haven't started yet, but I've been busy exploring and buying school supplies. The castle is enormous! I'm amazed that I haven't gotten lost yet!
We have four houses here: Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. I was sorted into Ravenclaw (apparently known for its wittiness and intellect) and I really think it was the right choice. All the other Ravenclaws have been so nice to me.
I already have a few friends as well! People here are so nice. And you'd be surprised how many of us are from the United States!
I miss you all so much, but I know it will be worth it in the end. Say hello to Millie for me! Tell her I miss my puppy dog (even if she won't understand it)!
Yours sincerely,
Steel Johnson
P.S. Please send the second letter to Anna - I would do it myself, but I don't think the Muggle school in Ireland will really like getting a letter by owl!"

That one looked good. He moved on to the second letter.

"Dear Anna,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
I can't believe you're 16! You'll be able to drive next time I see you!
I hope you are enjoying Ireland as much as you always have. New Zealand must be just as fantastic. It is so incredibly beautiful here. I know you'd love it. Classes haven't started yet, but they will soon. I've been keeping busy though, trying not to get lost (this place is massive!).
I miss you more now than I ever have when you've been at school, because I don't have Mom and Dad this time.
Stay safe, Anna, you're my only sister!
Yours sincerely,
Steel Johnson
P.S. I'll teach you a few spells when we get home. Oh, wait, I can't! You're not a witch!"

He was satisfied with that (particularly with the post script).
"Alright, Terry, I'm ready for you now," he said. "It's a long, long flight to Ohio from here, so be ready." He tied the letters to the barn owl's leg. "Come find me when you get back, okay? I want to make sure they got the letters." The owl started off. Steel wasn't quite sure if he trusted owl post yet, but he didn't really have any other choice. "Please be safe, Terry, and don't get lost!"

Kiera had never been to the Owlery and decided to go check it out. When she walked through the doors, she saw Steel. Hmm this is a plesant surprise she thought to herself. "Hey Steel" she said walking up to him. "what are you up to?"

Steel looked around, utterly embarrassed. How long had she been there?
"Oh... Hello, Kiera. I'm... uh.. writing home, if you must know. I've never done it by owl. What are you doing up here?"

Steel relaxed a little. "Oh," he said, smiling. "I hadn't been up here either. It's a long walk, isn't it? And I thought Ravenclaw Tower was tall!"

There was a long pause. Steel was getting uncomfortable, so he cleared his throat and searched for something to say.
"So... Where are you from?"

A weird look cmae across Steel's face. Kiera chose to ignore it. "Well orginally Im from Georgia but we actually moved to Califorina right before I got my acceptance letter." She said smiling at him. "what about you?"

Steel laughed as well. "I suppose the Headmistress must be from New Zealand, though." Another uncomfortable silence followed.
"Uh, listen, Kiera, this place isn't great for conversation. You want to go to Madam Puddifoot's or something? I'm starving."

"All right then, let's go." He hadn't been to Madam Puddifoot's yet, but he'd heard they had fantastic turkey sandwiches. He followed Kiera out the door, hoping against hope that the owl he'd sent home could make it.

(ooc: I'll meet you there.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back