Why?

Caitlyn Scott

Why? The word repeated itself over and over again inside her brain, making her unnaturally furious. Why did her mother have to be so protective? Why wouldn't she let her climb The Tree? Caitlyn wasn't usually one to be frustrated, but today she was just feeling angry. Sighing, she tried to control her temper, as she walked through Obsidian Harbour. Decidng that she needed to cool off, she made her way over to th park, and sat down staring up at the trees above.

Angela was leaving early this morning. It was a clear sunny day, and that made her happy. She didn't like thunder much, it scared her. she walked through the woods to the park that was in obsidian harbor. There she saw a girl. The girl was about her age, with dark hair. Angela walked over and sat down with her. "What's up," she said as if she knew the person. Seh probably hadn't meant to come off like that, but that's what happens when Angela has caffeine.

Caitlyn looked up as somebody sat down beside her
"Um.. Not much" she said awkwardly,not knowing what to say. She was still in a bad mood, but that didn't stop her from being her normal shy self. Squirming slightly on the bench, she glanced up at the girl giving her a quick smile.
"I'm Caitlyn Scott" she said quietly.

"I'm Angela," she grinned. She noticed that the girl was shy. "Are you new here?"

Caitlyn smiled again, her cheeks flushing alittle as Angela seemed to notice that she was a shy person.
"I come from Wiltshire England" she said, explaining her accent.
"Where do you come from?" she asked politely in return. Caitlyn couldn't figure out her accent.

Angela smiled. "Oh London, what's it like?"
She grinned even more as the girl asked where she was from. Most people couldn't figure it out, since she really didn't have an accent. She answered, "Tokyo, Japan." She loved Japan, it was so beautiful.

"Well, it's west of London" Caitlyn said, pulling out a map, and pointing out Wiltshire.
"It's nice and peaceful" she explained.
Caitlyn was surprised when Angela told her she was from Japan
"Wow" she said softly "What's it like?" she asked. Caitlyn's cheeks coloured slightly as she talked more than she had in a while.

Angela looked at the map intently, she had never really learned to read these things, but nodded as if she did. "I didn't see much of japan, but the sakura blossoms when in full bloom are beautiful." She sighed, realizing how much she missed home.

Caitlyn was puzzled, she didn't understand how Angela could be from Japan, but not have seen much of it
"So... do you live somewhere else?" she asked carfully, trying to not to sound stupid.
She smiled when Angela mentioned the blossoms. She had seen pictures of them, and they looked very pretty. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, feeling more comfortable now.

"Well what it is," Angela explained, seeing that the girl was confused. "Is that i stay at home to take care of my mom, so i didn't get out much."

"Oh" Caitlyn said quietly, lost for words, as she often was. She didn't want to ask what was wrong with Angela's mother, not wanting to intrude on her private life
"That's too bad" she just said "I hear it's really nice" in her quiet English voice. Struggling to make conversation, she asked
"So... you parents speak English around home?"

"Oh yeah, a lot. Of course i know both languages, but my mom is American."

Caitlyn nodded, smiling "That's cool" she said, knowing how Angela felt. Caitlyn herself spoke English and Chinese, courtesy of her mother being insistant about connecting with both sides of her heritage. Caitlyn was glad that she could speak both languages, it made it much easier when she went to visit her mother's family in China.
"I speak Chinese too" she told Angela. Her former anger at her mother had faded from talking to Angela, and Caitlyn was feeling slightly embarrased with herself.

"Oh really, that's so cool!" Angela said. She hadn't expected this girl to speak another language.

"Yeah" Caitlyn said, looking down into her lap. Her mother had spoken Chinese around the house ever since she could remember, and she'd grown up speaking both languages fluently. Her accent was still completely English, without a hint of her mothers strong accent.
"Where are you living now?" she asked, realising that she must here in New Zealand now too, since she was here.

She watched Caitlyn look away and then ask her where she was living now. "Well i live on the Marion estates, over that way." She said, pointing in the direction of where she lived. "It's these three houses and a shed, on a big piece of property."

Caitlyn looked in the direction that Angela was pointing
"Wow" Caitlyn said appreciatively, shading her eyes with her hand. She could just see the outine of a bunch of buildings. Assuming Angela's family must be rich, she asked
"When did you moveto New Zealand?" a little curiously.

She smiled. "Well i moved here about a month or so ago... i don't remeber. Those were our vacation houses though." Seh said. "Where do you live?"

Caitlyn's eyes widened, her feeling that Angela's family were wealthy confirmed. But then, she supposed, alot of people had vacation houses in nice places. Caitlyn wasn't the sort of person who judged people on their walth or family lines, so she wasn't bothered by Angela's wealth, just a little envious.
"Well, my mum and I moved here to New Zealand about... two weeks ago?" she said slowly, trying to remember how long ago it had been. She didn't need to add that they'd come from England, as her accent made it perfectly obvious.

"Really, that's so cool. So what was it like, in England?" She said the places name slowly, not wanting to be wrong. Seh watched to see if she was right or not, waiting for the girls reaction.

Caitlyn smiled
"The best" she said with a sigh. She loved talking about her home country
"The countryside is beautiful, and just... perfect" she tried to explained it. Caitlyn was still very homesick for her country, even though she liked it here in New Zealand.
"What about Japan?" she asked Angela. She didn't know much about the country, even though her background was Asian too.

She smiled as the girl described England, but frowned when she asked about Japan. "What i saw, was crowded. No one had tim, you know, to stop and smell the roses. I like it here more."

Caitlyn nodded, understanding what she meant by crowds. The cities were so populated, it was hard to move sometiimes
"You never went out to the country?" she asked Angela hopefully. The countryside was her favourite part of any nation she visited.

((So sorry, this was on like the third page and i didn't know it was replied. Agh, I'm really, really sorry!))

"Well i had, but it was never for fun. And when i was little we apparently had fun, but i don't remember." She answered her, her mouth trying to curl up into a smile. She didn't like talking about her country, but she knew she would have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back