Why do some turn out different?

Alice Hills

OOC First Name
Kate v.1 [Main]
Wand
Lignum Vitae Wand 16" Essence of Dragon's Whisker
Isobel. Isobel. Fayt. Isobel. Fayt. Isobel. Fayt. Isobel.

Alice sighed, trying to work out the thoughts that weighed down her mind. A few weeks ago, the only thing on her mind was Isobel, but now, somehow for a reason that escaped her, Fayt seemed to pop up regularly. For a while, he had just been someone annoying, but ever since he had tracked her down and asked why she was avoiding him, he seemed to be on her mind a lot more than she would have liked. Running a hand through her long, dark hair, she sighed again and sat down on the floor.

The fourth floor corridor seemed a friendly place to be, what with everyone from Hufflepuff going around, so for this reason, Alice tried to work out why she was there. If there was anything that Alice didn't need currently, it was people trying to be nice and understanding. Right now, Alice just either needed space, or someone who knew what she was going through and why she was going through it. With another sigh, she got out her wand and held it in her hands, rotating it slowly as she tried to think and clear her mind. Firstly, to sort out the biggest problem.

Isobel. Ever since the unspeakable issue in their family, Isobel had been cold and rude to Alice. But why? Yes, she had always been rude when she was younger, but this just increased as bad things took place. Alice had always told herself that if she had been through that problem, she wouldn't let it change who she was, but she knew deep inside that she could promise this unless it did happen. This, she didn't want. Attempting to understand and still be nice to Isobel, had been something on her mind for a long time, but she didn't know how to change the mutual hatred that ran between them. Also, since joining HNZ, Isobel had become a part of a group which Alice didn't like the sound of. Alice's parents had told her that hopefully, this whole school change would sort the girl out, but having seen the different groups around, Alice knew that this was far from the truth and possibly would increase Isobel's 'strangeness'.

With another sigh, Alice closed her eyes and turned her thoughts regretfully to the other issue. Fayt. Fayt had been bothering Alice for a while now, and the thing that scared Alice was that she didn't understand why. Why had he cornered her? Why had he tried to talk to her? Why had he been so desperate to tell her how he felt, that he stopped her leaving against her own will? Why? He had a problem with her, that was obvious and evident, but why? What had she done? At first, he had been rude, and arrogant. So, Alice hadn't been so nice to him. But, the second time they met, he had been okish and she had made a conscious attempt to be nice to him. This, she had done. And then the next time they had met, Alice had been nice, until fear overtook her when she found out that he was a parselmouth. This, understandably, had scared her. So, the 4th time that they had met, she had been reserved and scared, worried about what he could do with his power.

Alice kept her eyes closed, oblivious to everything going on around her. With one final sigh, she tried to get rid of these thoughts, hoping that soon, a distraction would come along and she wouldn't be punished to think about the two people that she feared and detested strongly.

Sophia Leingod had always been friendly, she loves hanging around with her friends, she loves meeting new people, and it was her tendency for her to actually get out of her way just to help other people, that's probably why she had always been told that she was way different from her twin, that the two of them were actually like the two flip sides of the coin. Unlike Sophia, Maria is quite irritable, she prefers to stay on the sideline, and she's a bit antagonistic too, everything that a Slytherin was. And her? She was nothing like her, thus the reason why she was alone now, separated from the person that she had always been with ever since could remember.

It was quite a shock for her actually, Maria, the only person who was always protecting her, the one that she would often run to whenever she was sad or afraid, was now no where to be found. Her dorm was was further from hers, what with it being situated in the dungeons, and of course, being a hufflepuff, slytherins weren't really that keen into talking to her. She hadn't been used to it no matter how hard she tried, Maria seemed to be perfectly fine with it though, but for all she knew, she knew that Maria must have been having worse problems than she had now. Her twin was not that sociable at all, and so she figures that it would be quite hard for her to get any friends at all.

Flipping her wavy blonde hair away from her face, she started to thread down the corridor to where her dorm was. The corridor had always been warm and welcoming like before, what with it being the place ruled by hufflepuffs, of course, every one is welcome. sighing to herself, she tried to smile to those who greeted her, she had met lots of friends already, perhaps because of her being a part-veela by then, not that she had enjoyed the attention, but honestly, she didn't like it as much as her sister did. Skipping the last steps toward her room as she greeted the other students, she didn't noticed that she had actually bumped into someone, not until she was already sitting down on the floor. "I'm sorry..." She said politely, brushing some strands of her hair away from her face once again, really, she was considering having it cut, but she figured that it would be no help at all.

Alice jumped as someone bumped into her. Taking a second to refocus and gather her thoughts, she blinked and looked up at the girl. "Oh no, its fine. My bad." She said with a smile and wondered whether this friendly and polite girl would sit with her and chat or whether she had better things to do instead of chatting to confused Ravenclaws. From what Alice could see, if she was a Hufflepuff, she would be nice enough, unlike Ravenclaws who would be polite but then leave. Alice herself was quite chatty, but got easily annoyed by different people and didn't have a long thread of patience, so that was probably the reason she hadn't been put in Hufflepuff. However, on this day, Alice didn't want to be caught up in her thoughts any longer, so she turned her attention the the girl in front of her. The first thing that struck her was the pure beauty of the girl. It wasn't a beauty that Alice had seen before, and she knew straight away that it wasn't just general prettiness. Not wanting to be rude and stare, she tried to think back to the book she had read a while ago. "Im sorry, but if you don't mind me asking, are you half-veela?" She said with a shy smile, remembering about the full veelas who were stunningly entrancing and their relatives, usually half-veelas who were also exceptionally pretty. Tucking a strand of her wavy, dark hair behind her ear, she wondered whether this girl would still be nice, or too caught up in her own looks to take notice of Alice.

The girl who was talking to Sophia seemed kind enough, kind enough actually that she might have been mistaken to be a hufflepuff, but that cannot be the case right? After all, if she was indeed a hufflepuff, then Sophia would be bound to see her everyday. "It's both our fault then." She said, smiling as she stood up and brush her clothes off some invisible dirts. It might appear that she was being rather girly by then, but actually, she's not, she just wanted everything to be clean and arranged, that's all.

Sophia cannot help but to flush when the said girl asked whether she was a part-veela. Really, she had been asked about that a thousand times before, but until at the present, she still wasn't used to such questions. "I am." She said shortly, nodding her head in doing so. Unlike those other part-veelas, Sophia wasn't really that vain about her looks, she had always tried not to get caught up with the attention that she often receives, really, if she could chose, then she would have chosen not to have that veela blood at all, cause honestly, she was getting a bit awkward about it. People stares, and she didn't like it at all. "What's your name? I doubt that I have seen you somewhere already."

Alice smiled at the girls easy attitude. "Fair enough. Lets agree on that." She said with another smile, still pleased that this girl was nice. After all, some people around here weren't. She watched as the girl brushed off some invisible dirt and she smiled to herself, noting the orderly procedure that this was done with. The attention to detail and just basically the girliness of the whole action. This new girl, without saying much already reminded Alice of her mum, a neat and organised person who wanted everything to be just so. Watching still with a smile, she saw the girl blush under her comment. Why was this? Alice wondered, thinking that everything she knew about the veelas so far made them proud of their looks. Most full veelas used their 'powers' to enchant men. But, this girl didn't seem to fall under the category of using it for bad. So, smiling at the girl's short response she watched as she made herself stop being awkward. The change of subject brought Alice back to real time and she realised that it was nice for someone else to ask first, instead of Alice making all the effort. "Im Alice. Im a 1st year Ravenclaw. And yourself?" She asked, a smile still on her face as she greeted the girl who was still nameless.

"I'm Sophia, well, you must have noticed and must know this already, but just for formality, I'm a first year hufflepuff." Sophia said with a warm smile as she extended her hand out for the girl to shake. She wasn't really that awkward in meeting new people, in fact, she was a very sociable person and minds it not whether her friends would be girls, boys, or anything in between, she just wanted real friends, that's all, and in her honest opinion, this girl who had just introduced herself as Alice seemed like a likely person to be called a friend. Still having that smile on her face, Sophia tried to remember every detail about the girl while being careful not to look as if she was scrutinizing her. "So, Alice, not to offend you or anything, but, what are you doing here by yourself?" It was not that it was a wonder that the girl had somehow ventured along the corridor that they were in, but what was rather unusual was that she was alone, for most of the times, students do travel in pack or rather, in groups.

Alice smiled at the girl and shook the hand offered. It seemed very formal, but as the girl said, just for the formality of it all. Smiling still, she felt the girl looking at her and wondered why that was. Ignoring the feeling though, she smiled at the question and the way that it was said. "No, i understand why you asked. Well i just needed to think really. And here seemed the best place to do so. I went to the library and then it was quite quiet so i sat down." She explained, signalling to the corridor that seemed to go in waves of being full and then empty. "Being a Ravenclaw we don't have a nearby corridor and i didn't fancy the really quiet ones, so here i am." She shrugged again, smiling at the girls curiosity that Alice suspected was probably more concern.

(OOC: Sorry, this post is lame :r and i really like your sig :D )

"Oh, I see, a lot of things are bothering you then?" Sophia stated calmly as she nodded in understanding. Of course, she wouldn't want to bug in or intrude to the girl's life especially since they had just met, but from the looks of it, since the girl was looking for a quiet place where she could think, it seemed like, she must have some problems that she needed to deal with. Not that she had the right to ask, but if the girl would be willing to share her stories to her, then she'd be more than willing to listen as well. She's got nothing else to do after all, so probably. just sitting around and hearing a friend talk would be good.

Alice's dark eyes assessed the girl sitting in front of her. Could she trust her? From the most recent experience, Alice's heart was telling her yes, but her careful brain was saying to watch out for strangers. Going from what her heart was telling her, she sighed and looked down. The girl seemed nice enough, and even if she didn't understand what Alice was talking about, at least Alice could hope she wouldn't go and spill it to anyone. The problem wasn't exactly a secret, but Alice didn't really want the whole world to know - that wouldn't do her any favours. Smiling weakly at the girl, she decided on going for the most prominent topic on her mind. "Um, well its my cousin. She's in our year, but is a Slytherin and doesn't like to get involved with anything our year do. She's called Isobel. Isobel Hills." She began, thinking that the introductions would probably be the best way to start for a bit, then she could move onto the real issue if this girl was happy to listen.

A smiled had formed in Sophia's face as the girl started to talk. At least, it seemed as if she trusted her, and that was what makes her feel a little good. Sophia had always been reprimanded by her sister for going out of her way to help others, but she pays it no heed. After all, what could be better than helping other people out right? "A slytherin? Kind of like my sister then.." She said softly as the girl paused for a moment. She had decided not to interrupt the girl from talking, after all, she was there to listen to the girl's problem, it would be rude if she would keep commenting every now and then. "Go on..." She added, smiling warmly once more. It would be nice if she could help the girl out, but if not, then just listening to her relieve her burden would be much better than letting her take everything to herself, right?

Alice smiled at the girl who was listening to her. She had been right then, it had been good to trust this girl. "Is your sister a Slytherin? Who is she?" She asked, ignoring her own troubles to try and think about this girl and who her sister was. Had she seen her at the sorting ceremony? Were this girl's sister and Isobel good friends? Did Alice need to worry about this other girl? As the question chased each other around her mind, Alice sighed at the answers she was giving herself. "Um, well basically, im just worried about her. She isn't nice to me, but i think she is lonely. But, she won't listen to me and won't even let me try to help her." Alice explained, feeling a growing confidence in sharing with this girl. It seemed that she understood what Alice was talking about and that in itself made her smile again.

Sophia took a deep breath before she had decided to answer the girl's question. Surely, she had accepted the fact that her sister and her had been separated already, but sometimes, it's still painful to think that the once close sister of hers was slowly drifting away. "Yeah, she's a slytherin. Her name's Maria." She said with a sad smile. Her sister hadn't changed much on how she treated her, she's still that protective twin of hers, yet at the same time, Sophia does feel that she was miles away from her, and though she would still smile with her around, she would often times feel cold when talking to her. Shaking her head as she tried to get rid of those sad thoughts, Sophia turned to focus her attention to the girl once more. "That's sad to hear... it must have been hard for you then...." She wouldn't want to say something rude against the other girl till she hear the whole story, or until she hear something that is really inappropriate in her opinion, she couldn't just judge her that easily, right? "Had she done anything bad to you? I mean, physically... or even emotionally?"

Alice listened carefully and smiled softly. "I don't think i know her." As she listened to the girls sympathy, Alice found her own mind reeling off questions. Was the sister as pretty as Sophia? Was she also a half-veela? If so, had Isobel become good friends with her? Panicking slightly as these thoughts overwhelmed her again, she took a deep breath and closed her eyes momentarily, breathing deeply and recomposing herself as if putting on a mask. Breathing a final deep breath she replaced her old frown with another smile. "Yes, it is hard. No, she hasn't beaten me up. I mean, she could easily, she is very sporty and doesn't let me forget it, but..." She stopped, trying to work out what she was trying to say and how exactly she could say it to the best of her ability. She didn't know how to phrase it, her relationship with Isobel, but it was bothering her enough to get on her mind now. "I guess that there is nothing anyone else would pick up on, aside from just generally horrible words." She finished, deciding that this girl wouldn't understand her story. She didn't seem to have a problem with her sister as much as Alice did with her cousin, so perhaps she should just leave it...

Sophia just listened at the girl's story, from the looks of it, though her sister, and Alice's cousin were both in the same house, they do act differently, that was quite a relief for her though, though from her observation, her sister was becoming more and more like a typical slytherin, minus the fact that she was not being that arrogant and loud. "You know my sister, we used to get along before, we used to share the same room, and we used to play with each other, a lot." She started, she didn't know what had made her say it, but she does want to share a part of her story to the girl who had shared a part of her life with her, it would be only fair for her to do such thing after all. "We're really close, she's very protective over me, but you know what they say about everything changes, I think that it is happening to us right now." Though it was really hard to admit it, the once bond that she and her twin had shared together was starting to loosen a bit, they communicate less and less that more they stayed at school. "I don't know if it was me or her who had changed, and it's barely noticeable but I can feel it, we aren't the girls that we were before, I can't talk to her anymore, it's like, it was her yet not her at the same time, she isn't violent around me, but she isn't warm either." As she said that, her voice had cracked a little, "Were you ever closed to your cousin before?"

Alice continued to listen, sighing inwardly at the acknowledgement that she had a completely different story to Sophia here. It seemed that only since they had come to Hogwarts had they separated. However, this, in a way, seemed almost harder, like she had been good friends and then it was all gone. Alice and Isobel had never been close and they had never got on, so she had grown used to it. This girl, on the other hand, had had a twin, who seemed very nice when they had been younger, then they had been separated in houses and Alice could only guess that this was painfully hard for Sophia. Not only had she lost a twin, but she had lost a friend. Of course, Alice was only guessing here, but it sounded hard enough no matter what situation you put it in. "Im really sorry to hear that." She sympathised, trying to find the right words to say. It was clear that Sophia was upset about this, and Alice didn't really know what to say or do. "I guess that i have never been close to her. She hasn't ever liked me, so my instinct is to not like her and not really try. I used to, used to want to be close and friendly with her, but then i saw what sort of a person she was and decided against it. We have always argued and misunderstood each other, and i guess i don't see that changing." She explained, hugging her knees up to her chest as the pondered on what she had just said. "I wonder why it is.... why do some turn out different?" She asked, not really expecting Sophia to know the exact answer, but hoping that somehow, someone would be able to give her some advice along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back