Waking Up from a Deep Slumber

Fiery Claudia

Is death significant to life?

Claudia opened her eyes, or what it seemed to be her eyes now that she was a ghost. It had been 10 years since her tragic death by the hands of death eaters. And it was only now that she had decided to show herself finally as a ghost. All those 10 years Claudia had watched the people who roamed the area; the wizards who made the school; the students who inhabited the school. And it was only vengeance that she felt all those times.

And now she stands, waking up from the long slumber that had taken her back from the other world. Claudia stood up with her ghostly figure, having curly golden hair like that of a doll, and a smile that very few people would have.

Her amber eyes glanced as a student came running down the dungeons, not knowing what the consequences would be. "Why, hello, dear student." Claudia greeted with a tiny voice that belonged to a child. And yet her voice was cold, making it obvious that she was a ghost.

Tabitha was still jumpy from the flying lesson, apart from being thrilled about it. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, she had no one to share her experience. Not wanting to be in the common room, she raced to another part of the dungeons. She froze when she heard a voice that made her go paler than she already was. Coincidentally, as pale as the ghostly figure standing before her.
"Er ... hello there", Tabitha said uncertainly.

Claudia's brown eyes tilted to look closer at the student who dared reply to her. Her eyes that was supposed to be dark brown, seemed to be drained off color, giving only the blurry caramel color of her eyes. She floated slowly towards the girl, staring at her. "You're a wizard, aren't you...?" she asked, still with her cold voice that sounded like a passing wind.

She needn't waited for the girl to answer, Claudia's angelic face twisted to something horrifying. She glared at the girl. "You're one of those ignorant beings..! Beings who caused my death!" she yelled, floating closer to the girl, making her flinch backwards.

Tabitha started to answer the ghost, but this girl didn't seem to want an answer. Tibby's eyes widened fearfully as the ghost began to scream. Her voice was terrible and spine-chilling.
She felt like running, but her feet remained glued to the spot. She trembled uncontrollably, recoiling from the ghost.
"N-no..", She faltered, lifting her palms in front of herself protectively,"I honestly d-don't know what you're talking about! I don't even know you!"

In that split moment, Claudia's face softened, becoming the beautiful girl once again. She smiled sweetly at the girl as though she never yelled at her. "Of course, you don't. You were just a baby when it happened." Claudia's smile was beautiful and yet too cold. She leaned down towards the girl, giving a mischievous grin. "And? Do you know anyone that I can talk to? Someone who knows what happened years before."

Tibby sighed in relief. She felt like kicking herself for being such a baby about it. She straightened up as if to erase her irrational behavior and attempted to smile in return.
She cleared her throat to answer the ghost. She opened her mouth, and then closed it, clueless.
"So you don't know how you died?" Tibby asked, cocking her head to one side,"What's your name?"

Claudia giggled when the girl started to ask questions. She dares ask her questions as though Claudia was just a normal person. But she talked to her, anyway. It wouldn't be boring if she would have someone to talk to.

"Of course I know how I died!" Claudia exclaimed, laughing at the girl, not caring if she could have offended her by laughing like that. She was a ghost, anyway, so why should she care? "My life is not like that of a typical novel, little girl!" she laughed again, this time sounding like a witch.

Tibby relaxed. So, the second person she talked to since she had started school was a ghost. But she was socially inept, and that was a fact.

"Of course I know how I died!", The ghost yelled, laughing at Tibby. Tibby raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything to anger the ghost. After finishing, the ghost began to cackle. Tibby watched, or rather observed her as she did. Hogwarts, she decided, was full of smiling and laughter, albeit cackling. And she didn't understand it. Everyone seemed to have something to laugh about.

"Yeah.. um.. I don't really see what's so funny", Tibby stated bluntly. Her fear had been replaced by curiosity,"So how did you die, then?"

"Hmm?" Claudia looked closer at the girl, wondering why she sounded so much killed joy. Slytherins, Claudia had thought. Almost everyone in Slytherin acts all so powerful around people, and now to ghosts. It was rather boorish acting like that.

And Claudia would be happy to tell them to their faces that she was a pure blood. Although she never wanted to dig her past, she would never deny that fact. "You want to know how I died?" she giggled, covering her mouth like how humans do. "And why should I tell you that?"

Tibby rolled her eyes. Does being a ghost make it totally impossible for one to have a conversation?
"Well, I'm not forcing you to tell me, am I?", She said, crossing her arms over her chest,"I'm simply making conversation. If you don't want to tell me, you don't have to."

Claudia's smile fell after the girl talked. She seemed like a real doll now, staring blankly without any emotions. Somehow, the wind was able to blow Claudia's curly golden hair as though she was really affected by it.

"Ignorance, fear and betrayal. That is the reason why I died. That is the reason why everyone died..." she muttered, not really talking to the girl. She was talking to herself, swallowing the past that she never wanted to see, the past that forever haunted her own mind, the past that will never cease to disappear.

Claudia's eyes slowly darted to the ground as she plays with her hair. "I wish all of you would die like that." she said softly, almost sweetly, and then looked up at the student with a very menacing smile.

Tibby surveyed the ghost with an eyebrow raised. She was recollecting, more to herself than to Tibby, a vague account of her death. Tibby just nodded, not knowing what to say, following the ghosts gaze around the room till it settled on her.
"Oh, yeah!", Tibby agreed, shrugging,"Ignorance, fear, betrayal..er..sounds great!"
"Really melancholic... Sort of vengeful", She added with an awkward laugh.

Claudia only stared at the girl, wondering if she's getting what's happening right now. What a child, Claudia had thought and floated around the girl until Claudia was behind her. "What is your name, student?" she asked, hissing behind the girl's ear. "Do you want to die already? Do you want me to help?" she asked almost happily, as though she was only asking if she could get a candy for the girl.

Tibby shivered as she felt the coldness of the ghost.
"My name is Tabitha."She said, spinning around to face the girl,"And obviously I don't want to die! I'm only ten year- "
Then she shut her mouth immediately, realizing her mistake. This ghost seemed to be her age. Wide eyed, she shook her head.
"I forgot - I mean, Im sorry!", Tabitha stammered.

"What are you talking about?" Claudia asked Tabitha, raising one eyebrow. For a brief moment, she realized why the girl suddenly apologized like that. Claudia chuckled. "You think that would offend me? Ah, but you're wrong."

Claudia floated away from the girl, going in front of her. "I wish something big would happend this year. A few deaths won't hurt. After all, there are many students here." She yawned after talking and looked at Tabitha again. Claudia smirked when images of Tabitha dying entered her mind. "Yes, it won't hurt at all..." she mumbled, still smirking.

Tibby sighed with relief when the ghost said that she hadn't been offended. Tibby bit her lip nervously as the girl went on, now encouraging Tibby to end end her life.
"Well, actually someone has died this year."She explained conversationally,"A boy called Jareth. Killed by a centaur."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back