Visiting the Trophy Room

Athene Perthro

It was Athene's first visit to the Trophy Room. She had been on her way back from The Astronomy Classroom when she had noticed the door ajar. Curious, she had wondered in, but it appeared to be empty.

It was a fairly dusty room, and Athene could imagine that it wasn't a very popular place to visit. She walked further inside, when a small noise startled her.
<i></i>

Bruin had been cruising along the Third Floor corridor when he noticed a Slytherin girl enter the Trophy Room. He had thought that he recognized the girl as the one that he had verbally sparred with at the beginning of last year in Gladrags and if it was, then that likely meant it was the one who'd been caught with Bellatrix defacing the Great Hall near the end of last year. There was too much hardware in the Trophy Room with his name on it that Bruin had worked hard for, he wasn't about to let any of it get damaged by some rebellious little girl.

Bruin pushed the door open slowly and stepped in behind the girl quietly. He was hoping to observe what she might be doing without drawing any attention to himself.

Athene had to step back and stand on tiptoe to see last years trophies. "Sophia Stark," she read. "Most points earner for Slytherin." Athene snorted. No wonder she was a Prefect. But at least she actually cared about whether Slytherin lost to the other houses or not... unlike some students.

"Bruin Dumbledez..." She read aloud again, reading off of the trophy next to Sophia's. The name appeared a fair amount, but she wans't sure if she had ever heard it before.

<i></i>

"Yeah, that would be one of mine.", Bruin replied rather politely as he stepped further into the room and confirming that it was, in fact, the girl from Gladrags. "Thinking about trying to earn one of your own this year?", he asked casually.

Athene gasped and jumped back, peeling her eyes quickly from the trophies and towards the speaker. She hadn't heard anyone come in, and flushed, embarrassed that she had received such a fright.

She recognized him as the Prefect who had separated her and a Ravenclaw's arguement in the great hall last year. She also thought that she recalled him working in a shop, but she couldn't be sure. That had been a year ago.

"Um, well. Maybe," said Athene shortly, not entirely sure what else to say. She'd never actually considered ever getting a trophy for anything, but now that she thought about it, she wouldn't have minded seeing her own name on a dusty plaque to be recorded in this room.

"You have quite a lot," she added. "Quite the Prefect." She screwed up her face a little, looking back at the trophies. It was no wonder he had been picked to be a Prefect - it seemed he was quite the rule follower, to have earned to many trophies and points. Last week Athene would have said that she didn't like Prefects much, or rather, at all. But since the Slytherin House meeting, she wasn't so sure. She had quite liked Katrina Redding when she had corresponded with her via mail. And then there was Sophia, who Athene neither liked nor disliked at the moment.
<i></i>

Bruin was surprised by the girl's reaction, having expected some kind of snappy response, and was almost sorry for having startled her. "Yeah, I guess so. I've done alright in the trophy department, but I think the whole Prefect thing is a little overrated sometimes.", he said fairly modestly.

Bruin was convinced that this was the girl that Sophia had spoken to him about earlier in the week. "It's Athene, right?", he asked. Bruin made a point of knowing what was going on in each of the houses, certain that it would help at some point on the Quidditch Pitch or elsewhere.

"Overrated, huh?" Athene looked back at him - at Bruin - and cocked her head slightly. How did he know her name? Of course, she knew that she shouldn't be entirely surprised. She had become a bit infamous after the stunt in the Great Hall. Rumor seemed to have spread fast.

"Yes," she said coolly. "And you are the Gryffindor who thinks that I'm unintelligent, and wouldn't let me get revenge on a Ravenclaw girl who thought it'd be funny to attack me in the great hall, or even tell her off yourself." Okay, so 'attack' was a bit of an exaggeration - but he didn't know that. "You're right, Prefects are over rated," she added rudely.
<i></i>

Bruin laughed, amazed at how fast the girls at this school went on the attack. "You know, I didn't really think you were unintelligent. Perhaps lacking in common sense to fight in the Great Hall in front of professors, prefects and maybe, even the headmistress. I suppose that I was wrong though, apparently you aren't bright enough to hold an intelligent conversation.", Bruin replied as he went over and picked up one of his trophies and removed his wand from his pocket.

"Oh, and I said the Prefect thing was over-rated, not the Prefects. Most of us are right where we belong...at the top.", he said with confidence as he cast Scourgify, cleaning off the dust and wiping away any smudge marks that the haughty little Slytherin may have left on his hardware.

Bruin had hoped for some type of response from Athene, but sensing none simply replaced one award and grabbed another of his and kept cleaning. Maybe she's realized that she's entered a battle of wits and is totally unarmed, he snickered to himself as he worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back